• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGNxGamer] Matrix Awakens, Hellblade and the Power of Unreal Engine 5 - Performance Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

onesvenus

This is going nowhere, you are just moving the conversation to another area, creating another avenue never mention from where it started, I have been very clear and concise on the facts and the purpose of this.

Read back, do some research on the subject and learn from it.
I'm sorry but technical terms have a very precise meaning and you are twisting it. Proxy meshes and tessellation in the context of computer graphics have a meaning. Even though you could fit what you are saying into their definition, I'd say no computer graphics or rendering engineer would use those terms the same way you do and would need clarification on why you use them here.

It's not a critique of the work you do on your videos, just a matter of being concise with the words you use.

tommib

Gold Member
NXGamer NXGamer at 19.50 you say uncharted 3, did you mean uncharted 4?
Oh, now they got you NX!

Got You Puppet GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

Last edited:

Darsxx82

NXGamer explained that even with these differences in the video, it doesn't say much about the hardware as these are still tech demos. In fact, that the performance differs on the same console between every time you boot the demo tells a lot.
My thought or bet is that it's not that the performance changes every time I reboot, it has to do with the random nature of the demo. It can vary the performance in the same place things like the number of pedestrians, traffic jams of cars, and even the minimum variation of speed of the camera or when driving can mean a drop in fps.

And another thing I have found is that the performance varies greatly depending on the area where you are. For example, in the area near the sea with fewer agglomerated buildings, the performance is very very good and it does not matter the amount of traffic or speed of the flight or driving camera. Quite the opposite in the downtown areas and under the bridges.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yes, but the PS5 spends majority of the time throughout the video averaging 5fps above XBSX with up to a 10fps difference at times.

Like NX Gamer said, it's a demo and not to look at performance. But one have to wonder why it isn't the other way around.
It's a demo that was optimized on the xsx and xss by a first party MS studio. The PS5 version got no such optimization. You have to wonder if Coalition didnt jump in to optimize the game for xbox series consoles, what the actual performance difference might have been.

I am guessing MS got wind of the demo performing poorly on the xsx and had Coalition go in and make some optimizations. Notice how they mention ray tracing optimizations. Something that was brought up in the locked thread and hinted at by NXgamer in this video.
So what exactly did the team at The Coalition do? A primary focus for them was on memory and performance optimizations to fully take advantage of both Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S. Because the experience features an incredibly large and dense world with a staggering amount of content, the first step was working on memory optimization. In that area, they worked with Epic to ensure the assets in the demo were set up to fully leverage virtual texture streaming and nanite wherever possible and tuned internal memory systems, especially on Xbox Series S, to ensure it all fit in the memory.

On the performance optimizations side, the teams made some threading improvements to improve utilization of the CPU cores. They also made some Xbox Raytracing optimizations, resulting in performance wins of about 0.5ms. Finally, they enabled Vertical Sync tuning to ensure a stable FPS throughout the experience.

yewles1

Yes, but the PS5 spends majority of the time throughout the video averaging 5fps above XBSX with up to a 10fps difference at times.

Like NX Gamer said, it's a demo and not to look at performance. But one have to wonder why it isn't the other way around.
ko574k3.jpg

sncvsrtoip

Alex going out of his way to get into a slow ass SUV on the xsx was suspect from the beginning. Maybe heisenberg was right after all.
would like to see vgtech with his stats now (preferably separating walking, driving same car, and camera flying)

Last edited:

onQ123

why only now we see noticeable difference in performance PS5 with 5fps advantage at times and better reflections
DF didn't show this said PS5 have 1fps advantage irc.
I called this out weeks ago

Alex downplayed the PS5 advantage as 1fps better then when driving the car he went slower when driving on Xbox Series X not showing the slowdowns from driving fast & crashing lol

onQ123

Now there's a twist. Clearly, my XSX is going to struggle to keep up with my XSS this generation.

avin
If push come to shove Series S will have advantages with lower settings & resolution if Series X is using the same settings as PS5 but Series S has free range to use different settings.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The only issue I have with this is the lack of support for animated meshes in Nanite. Basically it means that as soon as you try and do something with heavy vegetation, you're looking at a potentially very large performance hit if you want any motion in the scene.

Its going to be interesting to see if we are going to end up with the "look" of the gen being dominated by rocky and arid landcapes...

Loxus

It's a demo that was optimized on the xsx and xss by a first party MS studio. The PS5 version got no such optimization. You have to wonder if Coalition didnt jump in to optimize the game for xbox series consoles, what the actual performance difference might have been.

I am guessing MS got wind of the demo performing poorly on the xsx and had Coalition go in and make some optimizations. Notice how they mention ray tracing optimizations. Something that was brought up in the locked thread and hinted at by NXgamer in this video.

This certainly explains the minor RT differences.

oldergamer

The demo was running at 15 fps on both consoles before optimizations.

Also its already been determined there are visual differences depending on each run that also shows performance changes.

Trying to claim it runs better on one console is a moot point when you are comparing two different scenes with different amounts of traffic and pedestrians.

Riky

$MSFT
The demo was running at 15 fps on both consoles before optimizations.

Also its already been determined there are visual differences depending on each run that also shows performance changes.

Trying to claim it runs better on one console is a moot point when you are comparing two different scenes with different amounts of traffic and pedestrians.

Especially when the best performing version is Series S, looks like The Coalition did a great job.

Tripolygon

Banned
It's almost like PS5 has the same dev environment as the PS4 while Xbox switched from XDK to GDK.
PS5 and PS4 do not use the same dev environment, they are just similar. GDK is more like combining Windows, Xbox into a common dev environment. It is largely the same programming model devs have been using for years with some new APIs like IO and storage APIs.
I'd rather believe in facts than magical Cerny hardware :messenger_beaming:
The fact is Sony has been on point with their SDK support since the PS4 generation started. Xbox One had issues with their SDK as well which was fixed over time. It is not magic.

PS5 and PS4 do not use the same dev environment, they are just similar. GDK is more like combining Windows, Xbox into a common dev environment. It is largely the same programming model devs have been using for years with some new APIs like IO and storage APIs.
I know. And devs have stated that they had issues adopting to the new GDK. Stuff takes time.
The fact is Sony has been on point with their SDK support since the PS4 generation started. Xbox One had issues with their SDK as well which was fixed over time. It is not magic.
Exactly. But some people think it's hardware magic since they don't buy the tools argument at all, or is there any other explanation? Not sure why my post was nuked, I wasn't trying to be antagonistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom