• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGNxGamer] Matrix Awakens, Hellblade and the Power of Unreal Engine 5 - Performance Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommib

Gold Member
Are you mental?
u2Wpbjc.jpg

Here’s a happy pill for you. Everything will be all right.

Last edited:

tommib

Gold Member
It's almost like PS5 has the same dev environment as the PS4 while Xbox switched from XDK to GDK.
Look, love. Everyone in this thread knows that if the X was going around the PS5 in loops of 10 frames as we occasionally see on the video you would be french kissing your console and typing: finally those FLOPs are being used in next-gen only titles just as planned. It didn’t happen. Yet. Enough with the mumbo-jumbo.

Darsxx82

It's almost like PS5 has the same dev environment as the PS4 while Xbox switched from XDK to GDK.
Rather, in my opinion it has to do with the fact that the Epic team that created this demo is the same one that was in charge of making the first UE5 demo spexifically for PS5 for quite some time. That is, effecte of experience with the hardware in an engine still under development and testing on consoles.

The impression for me is that without The Coalition taking care of the port and optimization of the XSeries versions, perhaps that small Epic team would have only had to limit themselves to a single PS5 version with which they already have experience and would not have had to attend to an "XSS" version. .

That MS saw fit to "lend" TC time and resources made possible this demo had an XSeries version and also worked decently would have to do with avoiding Sony's marketing blow with a demo exclusivity...

Leyasu

Banned
I haven't watched the video, but is there anything about hellblade 2?

I ask because I skimmed the console warring in this thread and didn't see any mention of it?

Perhaps the Hellblade part could have it's own thread so the console gladiators can fight to the death in here?

tommib

Gold Member

I ask because I skimmed the console warring in this thread and didn't see any mention of it?

Perhaps the Hellblade part could have it's own thread so the console gladiators can fight to the death in here?
READ THE ROOM.

Just a very small section at the end of the video.

Last edited:

FrankWza

So the best framerate performance is on Series S? You did say that right?
Especially when the best performing version is Series S, looks like The Coalition did a great job.

After close to 2 minutes explaining the extent of the cutbacks and how it’s not surprising considering just how much was done to scale it back. He mentions about series s:

-Pixelated

-Reduced lighting

-Much softer and Less refined

-Half resolution at 720p or even lower sometimes

Other reductions like:

-Reduced geometric and halved triangle reduction

-Missing particle effects

-Heavily reduced and CAN be slightly better at times.

-Not surprised considering the cutbacks.

Bonus note: says hellblade 2 trailer is “little more than a cutscene” but still impressive.

Riky

$MSFT
After close to 2 minutes explaining the extent of the cutbacks and how it’s not surprising considering just how much was done to scale it back. He mentions about series s:

-Pixelated

-Reduced lighting

-Much softer and Less refined

-Half resolution at 720p or even lower sometimes

Other reductions like:

-Reduced geometric and halved triangle reduction

-Missing particle effects

-Heavily reduced and CAN be slightly better at times.

-Not surprised considering the cutbacks.

Framerate is king, or so I was told. Most of things mentioned are just do to the resolution decrease anyway.
Point is the 4tflop £249 machine with some smart cutbacks that aren't really noticeable in gameplay is running this not only good, but actually better than anything else framerate wise.
This bodes really well for the future.

I'm literally still on the topic of proxies, but it's ok, you won't word salad your way out of this.
I have done my research, I've detailed how it works in previous posts if you want to do yours.
This is literally NXGamer NXGamer MO from day one. Literally all he does is regurgitate technical terms without having any idea what he's talking about.

Like for example he says the Hellblade 2 footage of the pebbles proves that Hellblade 2 isn't using nanite yet. But anyone whose actually used UE5 would tell you that nanite DOES NOT support landscape yet and those pebbles are likely displacement map material on the landscape.

In another section, instead of apologizing for spreading the myth that you need some super fast SSD or IO to run UE5's nanite. He double downed by claiming the slowdown with the monster was actually streaming related.
Which is 100% complete nonsense. The freezing in the last section are all chaos physics related because the chaos engine is pure trash performance wise right now. Any UE5 user would tell you that simple fact.
Infact you could go into the project and remove the chaos destruction from the monster and get absolutely no slow down.

I'm sorry but the guy has no idea what he is talking about alot of times.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Framerate is king, or so I was told. Most of things mentioned are just do to the resolution decrease anyway.
Point is the 4tflop £249 machine with some smart cutbacks that aren't really noticeable in gameplay is running this not only good, but actually better than anything else framerate wise.

It bodes well for games being held back enough so that they an still manage to scale them back to the machine.

Riky

$MSFT
It bodes well for games being held back enough so that they an still manage to scale them back to the machine.

Doesn't look like anything is held back to me, seems to push the bigger machines down to sub 20fps at times, I doubt that has anything to do with Series S.
It's how it should be, targeting the premium machines and then making smart decisions to get a comparable experience on the cheaper machine.

This is literally NXGamer NXGamer MO from day one. Literally all he does is regurgitate technical terms without having any idea what he's talking about.

Like for example he says the Hellblade 2 footage of the pebbles proves that Hellblade 2 isn't using nanite yet. But anyone whose actually used UE5 would tell you that nanite DOES NOT support landscape yet and those pebbles are likely displacement map material on the landscape.

In another section, instead of apologizing for spreading the myth that you need some super fast SSD or IO to run UE5's nanite. He double downed by claiming the slowdown with the monster was actually streaming related.
Which is 100% complete nonsense. The freezing in the last section are all chaos physics related because the chaos engine is pure trash performance wise right now. Any UE5 user would tell you that simple fact.
Infact you could go into the project and remove the chaos destruction from the monster and get absolutely no slow down.

I'm sorry but the guy has no idea what he is talking about alot of times.

Well I believe there is a performance floor caused by something that is not I/O, but lower latency I/O is better for Nanite if we removed that performance floor. Essentially at some point you need to swap to disk, so how can it not?

Pedro Motta

I'm sorry but technical terms have a very precise meaning and you are twisting it. Proxy meshes and tessellation in the context of computer graphics have a meaning. Even though you could fit what you are saying into their definition, I'd say no computer graphics or rendering engineer would use those terms the same way you do and would need clarification on why you use them here.

It's not a critique of the work you do on your videos, just a matter of being concise with the words you use.
I come from the 3D animation and VFX world, use tons of different softwares today, and even more thoughout the years.

Naming conventions change from software to software, one calls it potato other calls it onion, they both do the same thing.

Calling it a PROXY is not incorrect, because it's indeed a PROXY, even tho inside UE5 it means another thing or has another context to it.

I stand by NXGamer NXGamer on ths one. Let's not make a big deal out of it.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Yet they had time to tape off half of a SSD & test this same Tech Demo? lol
Yes SSD performance was a point of contention for UE5, performance on a tech demo is not that important, or maybe it was a low priority.
I dont know why there has to be some sinister motive behind the decision, what do DF have to gain by doing something like that?

I personally would of like a fps comparison from DF, so I could compare it with my own findings.

But I see no reason to think theres some conspiracy.

Last edited:
Look, love. Everyone in this thread knows that if the X was going around the PS5 in loops of 10 frames as we occasionally see on the video you would be french kissing your console and typing: finally those FLOPs are being used in next-gen only titles just as planned. It didn’t happen. Yet. Enough with the mumbo-jumbo.
Nope. The demo is so variable and jumpy that saying anything about performance is almost useless.

mejin

Yes SSD performance was a point of contention for UE5, performance on a tech demo is not that important, or maybe it was a low priority.
I dont know why there has to be some sinister motive behind the decision, what do DF have to gain by doing something like that?

I personally would of like a fps comparison from DF, so I could compare it with my own findings.

Not for Free ofc.
Yep. This is not even a game, just a tech demo. If It was just resolution, but everything was toned down and this is just the beginning for next gen.

At least PS Studios won't have to worry about Series S.

assurdum

Banned
Can I say something? The reconstruction method has some serious problems. Played today on ps5 for the first time, I'm not talking of the whole IQ reconstructed which is acceptable but when we rotate the camera, there are visible compressed artifacts around the main character, like the hell is that shit. God hope it's just a demo problem, because if all UE5 games will have this, my eyes wil be obsessed to such artifacts.

Last edited:
This shows that a games design will not have to be scaled back because of the seriesS. We know this because the bigger consoles are struggling with this demo.

UE5 is nicely scalable.
If it was nicely scalable they wouldn't have need the most technically proficient MS developers to work on the Xbox versions with a end result that is objectively disappointing compared to the PS5 version.

Sosokrates

Not for Free ofc.

Yep. This is not even a game, just a tech demo. If It was just resolution, but everything was toned down and this is just the beginning for next gen.

At least PS Studios won't have to worry about Series S.

Its always been the case PCs could run last gen games with 1/3 of the Tflops as the PS4.

Sosokrates

If it was nicely scalable they wouldn't have need the most technically proficient MS developers to work on the Xbox versions with a end result that is objectively disappointing compared to the PS5 version.

Its would be pretty ignorant to suggest that a new engine for new hardware would not require work and optimization.

Pedro Motta

ahahah omfg you guys are a joke, honestly.

onQ123

If I had to guess they just didn't want to get a bunch of back & forth about what console is better so they didn't go into it but on the flipside they still went out of their way to prove that it's not the SSD that make it run better on PS5.

Riky

$MSFT
That's the thing, you don't even need one to notice the diference, when something dips way below 30fps, you notice. Specially in those realtime cutscenes. No VRR there.

What's the difference in the "realtime cut scenes"? I didn't see that in the video. Got a screenshot?
Also with those frametime problems which he states are worse on PS5 you can force 120hz output on Series consoles, that mitigates them quite a lot.

Sosokrates

If I had to guess they just didn't want to get a bunch of back & forth about what console is better so they didn't go into it but on the flipside they still went out of their way to prove that it's not the SSD that make it run better on PS5.

why would they include the ssd stuff if they wanted to reduce console comparisons?
I know they have talked about what they can do to reduce console wars, but its a really bonehead idea, I mean the whole point of DF is technical analysis which involves comparisons on platforms, so the desire of less console warring in the comments is kinda silly, there's always going to get console comparisons and aguing on the internet. I do dislike the direction DF are going in some ways, them trying to influence internet discourse is a fools erend.

Last edited:
it's not the SSD that make it run better on PS5.

Maybe it's the higher clocks then if it isn't the SSD.

I don't believe in the broken tools argument because the system as been out a while. Some of the PS5s strengths helping it out in certain situations makes more sense to me.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Maybe it's the higher clocks then if it isn't the SSD.

I don't believe in the broken tools argument because the system as been out a while. Some of the PS5s strengths helping it out in certain situations makes more sense to me.

Its not a broken tools argument.
Its the fact that EPIC have had more time with the PS5 hardware.

Maybe it is higher clocks maybe it isn't.. a pointless discussion, the only info we have on why UE5 is running better on PS5 is the fact epic have had more time with it, not saying thats the reason, but thats the info we have.

onQ123

why would they include the ssd stuff if they wanted to reduce console comparisons?
I know they have talked about what they can do to reduce console wars, but its a really bonehead idea, I mean the whole point of DF is technical analysis which involves comparisons on platforms, so the desire of less console warring in the comments is kinda silly, there's always going to get console comparisons and aguing on the internet. I do dislike the direction DF are going in some ways, them trying to influence internet discourse is a fools erend.
That's what I'm saying it seem like they tried to avoid it but also sprinkle some gas on the fire 😂 .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom