• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ikaruga (PC) |OT| Even though the resolution is high, I never give in.

Tain

I'm wondering, is there a reason why this game is not on any Sony platform? I own the Gamecube and X360 version, but would love to get a Vita version and play it anywhere I go.

The Naomi original led to a super-easy Dreamcast port (a platform that was pretty huge for arcade ports already), I think the GC release was Atari's idea, and I think MS courted Treasure for the 360 version. Treasure's size probably kept them from being all that interested in multiplatform development.

This and Silvergun on my PC would be a dream come true. I'd bet they will release it soon after this one.

I want Gradius V too... that would complete the epic Treasure shmup PC trilogy.

Dambrosi

Banned
Ha, I knew there was a reason I was saving all those Steam Bucks.

I definitely WILL be buying this as soon as it comes on the front page. My frothing demand, and all that.

Tizoc

It wouldn't count it out, SNK did similar with Metal Slug 3's port but they gave out two beta codes to test the netcode on that. So I dunno if Treasure will do the same so people/friends can play together. But you really don't need that. You can do the two player-solo option (new to the PC version thought not really "new" if you had two controllers before) or just play someone randomly online IIRC.
Funnily enough there was a 2-pack for Metal slug released AFTER the game got released on Steam. I would've gotten the 2 pack either way even if it didn't have a discount.
Edit: DO NOTE that infinite credits isn't unlocked by default. You'll start with... 5 continues(?) or 10, then it increases by five to 5/10->10/15->15/20->20/20->Infinite.

You have to play with limited credits and in-game-time to unlock the infinite credit mode, so don't give up. You'll eventually get infinite credits to power through the game if that's how you want to play it.

I see thanks. Well once you're good enough in Ikaruga Infinite continues won't mean much anyways ;)

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Google translate is telling me that the $10 price is not final... does it say something different in Japanese?

I work as a translator and this is correct. Here's how I translate it personally:
We're thinking we'd like to release the Steam version of Ikaruga at $9.99 USD (around 980 yen at the current exchange rate), but we haven't made a final decision on the matter yet, so please wait until we have an official announcement about it.

Presumably that tweet was written while Valve was still consulting with them on what's a good market price soon after it was Greenlight. I personally doubt it'd at least go any higher knowing how games of that genre have traditionally been priced on the service, but that's just my own personal hunch.

I will absolutely double dip for this game. If the price is right, it might become the new game I give people at random, replacing Bastion and VVVVVV in that role.

It's buried in the comments on their Greenlight page somewhere but I remember Treasure mentioned that the game could be set to any resolution but they had only tested up to 1920 x 1200 and so was only confident in stating that resolution. We'll find out for sure tomorrow I guess.

In any case, my body is ready and my input devices are ready. Hmm, should I use my Saturn pad? My Neo Geo pad? My arcade stick? Choices choices...

It's buried in the comments on their Greenlight page somewhere but I remember Treasure mentioned that the game could be set to any resolution but they had only tested up to 1920 x 1200 and so was only confident in stating that resolution. We'll find out for sure tomorrow I guess.

In any case, my body is ready and my input devices are ready. Hmm, should I use my Saturn pad? My Neo Geo pad? My arcade stick? Choices choices...

Sounds a lot like Capcom and RE4 HD then... just covering their asses?

Frothing Demand: Increasing

AHQ3BT7.gif

I can't wait to play this on my PC! I wish I had a better controller than the 360 one, though. I don't think the dpads will be good enough, wish I had the newer controller with the better dpad or a ps4 controller.

mrmickfran

They're already making plans to put an original title on the service. So Greenlight buzz must've shown them there's HEAVY interest in their stuff.

I completely forgot about their new title. I hope it's a shump and not something along the lines of Gaist Crusher >_>

Kind of related: Has anybody played Kokuga? If so then how is it?

TaroYamada

Wondering the same thing, sans neo geo pad.

gngf123

Can't wait until I can play this.

My PC is a broken mess right now but once I've repaired it I'll be buying this straight away.

Next up, Radiant Silvergun.

Nzyme32

Can't wait for tomorrow! Shame about the 1920x1080 / 1920x1200 resolution but we'll have to wait and see how easy that is to circumvent.

Oh and radiant silvergun needs to get here soon too as well as the new IP

I'm going to be buying and playing it as soon as I can tomorrow.

I really hope that this continues. I heard that Treasure are now developing a game exclusively for the PC. So that makes me really excited that Treasure are going to continue to support the PC.

I really hope to see Silhouette Mirage bought to Steam as well. I'd also like to see them develop more games like Silhouette Mirage. I'd also really like to see Cave come to Steam. I would be happy to buy the entire library of both Treasure games and Cave games on Steam. Having DoDonPachi Sai Dai Ou Jou, DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu, or Mushihimesama, or any Cave game, would be great to have on Steam.

I'm sure that they next Treasure game on Steam, aside from their new title developed exclusively for the PC, will be Radiant Silvergun. But I do hope that they bring over Silhouette Mirage someday, as well.

Trojan X

Banned
Vertical screen support for monitors that can rotate? If no then that leaves me out unfortunately.

You know, I need my arcade perfect on pc darius burst with dual and tri monitor support. That game is incredible.

This game is extremely hard. Wow. Can't beat the first level.

I would guess that you haven't mastered the use of the polarity mechanic, once you do the 1st level is much easier as it's just a case of switching to the opposite colour of enemies that are on the screen.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I have to ask here, does anybody own the Android version of this? I wonder how well it was executed there, since the tablet orientation seems perfect for this compared to a widescreen tv.

tsab

I would guess that you haven't mastered the use of the polarity mechanic, once you do the 1st level is much easier as it's just a case of switching to the opposite colour of enemies that are on the screen.

Is this relative again?

Have%2Byou%2Btried%2Breversing.jpg

epmode

This makes me nervous - are they saying it won't support above 1080p?

Yeah, this is a dealbreaker for me. I figured >1080p screens would be more common by now so more people would understand but people only seem to complain when it's 720p max.

I have to ask here, does anybody own the Android version of this? I wonder how well it was executed there, since the tablet orientation seems perfect for this compared to a widescreen tv.

I don't have an android but check out the CAVE shmups if you haven't already, I've heard that some of them don't run so good but there should be one or two gems.

Kenta Cho has some of his STGs on android IIRC, Noiz2 is one maybe Rrootage aswell.

@tsab LOL, my post is abit captain obvious isn't it.

ys45

Got the GC version never really played it .
Il double dip so more games like that can get on Steam.

With a PS4 controller this should be good

Nice price, the GameCube game is still reasonably rare. I'm not sure I'll get it because the difficulty but I will watch some streams and perhaps that will change my mind.

danmaku

Actually, I think the game would be easier if you switch to same polarity of the enemies, so you can absorb their bullets. If you use the reverse polarity they'll die faster but you'll need to dodge their fire.

tsab

Actually, I think the game would be easier if you switch to same polarity of the enemies, so you can absorb their bullets. If you use the reverse polarity they'll die faster but you'll need to dodge their fire.

No he says about double damage damage if you are the opposite colour.
Not the normal/hard difficulty, which the enemies spat out same colour orbs or not when killed

edit: sorry. dp

Top Bottom