• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ikaruga (PC) |OT| Even though the resolution is high, I never give in.

Tain

Is it still the European version?

Whatever you do, don't play Alien Soldier at 50hz or worse yet emulate a 50hz version at 60hz.

Actually, I think the game would be easier if you switch to same polarity of the enemies, so you can absorb their bullets. If you use the reverse polarity they'll die faster but you'll need to dodge their fire.

That's what I meant to say!

philosoraptor-fucking-magnets.jpg

Can someone post a comprehensive list of differences between each version? Google seems to be saying that the XBLA version is the worst overall, but I can only find something relating to the miniboss in chapter 3.

Tonight!! Can't wait...Still have the JPN copies of it for DC and NGC but I am really glad I can now play it on my PC. Thanks Treasure! Looking forward for your future Steam games as well.

Feep

Banned
I full chained the first three levels of this game when I was 16. I will never do it again, and I doubt I'll do anything LIKE it again, and it remains a very strange part of my personal history.

Like a side scrolling shooter? How's that going to work!?

This and Strider! Yay! And DKC Tropical freeZe later this week! Hardcore classic gaming goodness! *swoon*

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
This release snuck up on me.

Ikaruga is probably in my top 5 games of all-time, but I'm not sure if I need to own it on a 4th platform.

Despite owning a DC and GC I never played Ikaruga. Maybe I should correct this gaming sin in 3 hours time

You should. It's one of the best games of all time, and probably my favourite Shmup. There's just something magical about it - everything from the visual flair, to the short snippets of philosophy, to the amazing soundtrack.

Like somebody already put it, it is more akin to a puzzle-game than a mere bullet-hell shooter, as you won't get good scores unless you can keep your chain up ( you have to kill enemies in group of threes - three of the same colour, that is ).

As much as I'm a fan of Ikaruga, I like DoDonPachi Dai Ou Jou more.

Still, I'm very appreciative to have this coming to Steam.

With any luck, Cave will pull its head out of its ass and realize that mobile ports aren't its only shot at staying alive and afloat. Perhaps if Ikaruga does very well for Treasure, we'll see ports of Cave shmups.

Also hoping that Treasure's other greatest works receive ports (Gradius V, damn it!).

I've never played a schmup before, but I've heard so much about this game I'm excited to try it. Is there anything I should know about this game that's not common sense/explained in the tutorial?

I've never played a schmup before, but I've heard so much about this game I'm excited to try it. Is there anything I should know about this game that's not common sense/explained in the tutorial?
Enemies take more damage if you shoot them with the opposite polarity, and in order to get a good score ranking you need to chain enemy kills together (killing three enemies of the same color in a row).

Isn't this supposedly one of the hardest shootem-ups type games can't wait to play this. Anyone remember a game like this called Raptor or something? You were some fighter jet, and it scrolled in the same direction as Ikaruga, you were able to deploy a bomb various powerups were missles homing machine guns you know lol, I played it on a PC, think and downloaded it from like AOL downloads or something lol

Word just did a quick google search it's called Raptor: Call of the Shadows. That shit was awesome. I think it was made playable via homebrew on the original PSP too.

Nzyme32

Isn't this supposedly one of the hardest shootem-ups type games can't wait to play this. Anyone remember a game like this called Raptor or something? You were some fighter jet, and it scrolled in the same direction as Ikaruga, you were able to deploy a bomb various powerups were missles homing machine guns you know lol, I played it on a PC, think and downloaded it from like AOL downloads or something lol

Word just did a quick google search it's called Raptor: Call of the Shadows. That shit was awesome. I think it was made playable via homebrew on the original PSP too.

Yes I remember it well, although this is very different in terms of mindset. It's not necessarily difficult, but mastering it is what is fun. And will take a long time.

Polarity is one thing - your white ship fires white lasers but can absorb enemy lasers of the same colour while you are vulnerable to black (and vice versa when you switch to a black ship). Add to that enemy ships being more susceptible to opposing colour lasers but same colours take longer to kill but give a bonus amount of enemy fire to absorb if you are skilled enough

Then the chaining system of three enemies at a time of the same colour each. Things get ridiculously tricky..... but super addictive

Peff

It's up, looks like they stuck with the 10$/9€ price. Awesome!

EDIT: Aaaand it doesn't run, lulz.

Top Bottom