• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm designing a controller

Orayn

For the face buttons, perhaps a six button layout ala the Megadrive/Genesis? If it didn't make the controller too large it could mean extra buttons when combined with four on the shoulders. Brilliant for fighting games.

Also this is a great idea for 3D printing.

Six face buttons is definitely something I'm considering, I'm just having a hard time reconciling that with the diamond shaped layout that most other games expect by default.

mR35yLk.jpg

Mad Catz FightPads sort of address this by making both rows arc-shaped, which might be an option here.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
6 face buttons or bust. Really, just make a Saturn ver2 controller and add more usable triggers/shoulder buttons. Anything you can design would naturally worse than this if this isn't what you are already planning...

4 face buttons is so limiting...

Zaku

Then why did they use roman letters? There's a certain logic to having the primary button closer to the edge of the controller. It's the first one you're likely to press when you're trying to figure a game out and you've never seen a controller before.

I would imagine Nintendo used roman letters for the same reason some dumbasses will tattoo Chinese characters on themselves: Even if most people won't know the meaning, they look cool. Japan's obsession with English is as bad as North America's obsession with Japanese.

Also, again, left to right reading versus right to left is at play, here. The four-button diamond is an evolution of the two button line from the NES, where the A button was on the right. I imagine after a bit of testing, Nintendo realized the diamond was more comfortable than two parallel lines, and went with what they did based on that. At that point, switching the A and B would have made no sense to them.

Something like the Belkin n52, Razer Nostromo/Tartarus/Orbweaver, or the Logitech G13?

XEhvkhe.jpg

jDTLAY6.png

A bit different from what I had in mind for this project, but very doable.

That was the thought. The problem with the Razer solution is that they're crazy expensive and go far overboard for what most games need outside of MOBAs and MMOs.

sixghost

Six face buttons is definitely something I'm considering, I'm just having a hard time reconciling that with the diamond shaped layout that most other games expect by default.

mR35yLk.jpg

Mad Catz FightPads sort of address this by making both rows arc-shaped, which might be an option here.

Doesn't the fightpad address that exact issue by laying out the xyba in virtually the same pattern as on an xbox/playstation controller? If you remove the RB/RT from those controls the four face buttons are in a diamond

The MvC3 PDP Fight Pad went with a kind of asymmetrical design.

m5nyCoi.jpg

The idea is that you would be holding the joystick side normally, but your right hand would be in the "claw" position emulating the same way you would on an arcade stick so there is less need for a handle on that side. I've always wondered how that would turn out if they went farther with that idea in mind since I can't imagine this is the most ergonomic design possible even with that in mind. Also that right bumper isn't in the best place ergonomically with that hand positioning in mind).

Gestault

Or a company based in a country which reads right to left as opposed to left to right.

Yeah, japan goes right to left, up to down.

As someone with family and language background in that country, I can say it makes exactly as much sense as Latin characters or modern Katakana would written right to left. When all other content is written in a yokogaki style, I persist, it was designed by a drunk.

nampad

Any idea how your project would be scored? I mean that should be the main priority.
Maybe they like a new approach to controllers more than just the same old SNES bone clone people would suggest.

Anyway, I would go for something niche and different because it seems more interesting than just copying the 16-32 bit controllers.
I know it is easier said than done, especially because you just want to use digital inputs, which doesn't allow for any complexity.

Orayn

I know, I know, I am a design genius and an MS Paint god.

inhLbWGusfaHX.png

So it's basically a normal arcade stick setup, but with the pins on the bottom and a monstrous lump of plastic with four buttons on it instead of a ball/bat top?

I... I don't know why you'd want that, but I'm very intrigued.

How about making the distance between D-pad and face buttons greater than a normal pad by some inches, so that you're not having to keep your hands closer together quite a bit spaced out from the other, like a fighting stick. Maybe a more rounded palm-rest below the face buttons for the right hand to comfortably address the buttons.

Noaloha

So it's basically a normal arcade stick setup, but with the pins on the bottom and a monstrous lump of plastic with four buttons on it instead of a ball/bat top?

I... I don't know why you'd want that, but I'm very intrigued.

It's essentially that, yeah. Motivation... I guess I like the idea of having buttons available for the 'stick hand'. In this age of 16-button pads (4 directions, 4 face, 2 central, 4 top, 2 clicky sticks) it seems like a way to combine a fighting game friendly stick with a traditional set-up? I can't think of examples to support that, so yeah, probably talking out of my arse. The pins thing is just... dumb... but probably pretty effective at achieving their purpose (stability).

Take it for the after-five-beers-wannabe-inventor post that it is. :p

Orayn

The Xbox version of ABXY would be the best route.
Since it would mean easier use on PC.

The printers I can use for this only print in one color at a time, so my buttons will probably be blank and featureless unless I wanted their letters to be sunken into the surface or something.

Exr

Include a built in fleshlight so people can take their gamer rage out without throwing the controller

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
The printers I can use for this only print in one color at a time, so my buttons will probably be blank and featureless unless I wanted their letters to be sunken into the surface or something.

Do you need to print an entire controller and program it to an Arduino board or is modifying a 360 controller optional? The reason I say this is because you could mod a 360 controller and wouldn't need to program the entire thing from the ground up.

LeleSocho

Banned
DO:

- Use a D-Pad that's a single button and not four different arrows (like Nintendo's d-pads not like Sony's ones).
- Be sure that the face buttons are spaced a little more horizontally than vertically.
-Be sure that shoulder buttons are long and "fat" enough if you only use two of them
-Spend a lot of time being sure about the weight of the controller, either too light or too heavy could be a dealbreaker

DON'T:

-Make the face buttons too convex like the X360/Xbone ones, they are uncomfortable.
- Put any kind button on a slope/curve.
-Use rubber soft buttons for Start/Select.
-If you go for a analog-shoulders solution be sure they are not pointed downward like the PS3 ones.
-Make the controller too squared
-Make the travel distance too long either they be digital or analog buttons.

Keep us informed, i'm really interested in controllers.

I'm still digging around and looking for code, but I don't think it's possible to make an Arduino device that's recognized as an Xinput controller, though it would probably work with wrappers like x360ce.

I'll keep looking and let you know if native Xinput is possible after all, since I'd like to have it too.

Oh, I'm just interested in case you'd consider pursuing this further and maybe even launch a Kickstarter :)

noah111

Still Alive
I know there's no mention of triggers in your goals, but man would I love to see a design that emphasizes full-hand grip, including your index and middle fingers always in resting positions on triggers. I used to love this controller back in the PS2 days:

Afterglow.jpg

Or in a similar vain:
CRW_15216-holding-left-hand-back-side.jpg
sc_3.jpg

Something similar to those, but with actual triggers, would be excellent.

And maybe a textured style (not sure if possible with your 3D printing machine. The grips on these have also always intrigued me:
4099968630_cc9e4f33f8.jpg
4099213019_70e185fa32.jpg

Or
jcJrskPinWQRS.jpg

In any case, you can't go wrong with focusing on ergonomics.

Marow

A controller where, like with Wiimote + Nunchuck, can rest your arms and sit in whatever position you feel like at the moment. Video gaming has never been more relaxing.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Do you need to print an entire controller and program it to an Arduino board or is modifying a 360 controller optional? The reason I say this is because you could mod a 360 controller and wouldn't need to program the entire thing from the ground up.

This has been a pet project of his for ages (like years), so I'm pretty sure he's interested in building one from the ground up if possible

Ferrio

Banned
How bout a controller where you can lock the buttons down? So they recess into the molding so you're able to configure any type of button layout you want?

Fourteen trackballs. All the buttons are trackballs. Triggers? Guess what. TRACK FUCKING BALLS.

Also there's a turbo button. Which is also a trackball. What does it do? Hell if I know but TURBO TRACKBALLS

Zaku

A controller where, like with Wiimote + Nunchuck, can rest your arms and sit in whatever position you feel like at the moment. Video gaming has never been more relaxing.

I like this. This is a good idea too.

Two analogs, a d-pad, regular and shoulder buttons, but cut in half with a cord connecting them? I can dig that.

Fourteen trackballs. All the buttons are trackballs. Triggers? Guess what. TRACK FUCKING BALLS.

Also there's a turbo button. Which is also a trackball. What does it do? Hell if I know but TURBO TRACKBALLS

That's not a turbo button. That's an auto-spin trackball, makes the other trackballs spin automatically in the direction the auto-spin trackball spins.

EVIL

i'd like someone to think about a controller without looking at whats been done. would you stumble upon the same solutions or would you come to a different design. Its hard to not be biased trough.

Pick up a controller you find comfortable. Hold it as if it didn't have any buttons on it. Imagine a button under every fingertip and a d-pad under each thumb.

I think it will be trickier PCB-wise to have buttons on the top and bottom faces, but you could actually use those wasted fingers in games.

I would go for this if you can do track balls. If not, do 14 scroll wheels.

Ashes

Banned
Can you add stuff like temperature sensors? heart rate monitors?

Also, I don't see why you have to go all traditional. Why not go with flatter board and two joy sticks? You're not limited by monetary concerns, surely.

I always thought you could pack in a much bigger battery in something like a fighting game arcade stick. & get more accurate response than analogue stick.

Mandoric

Banned
This thread really makes it obvious that there is no ideal design, just genre preferences and experience with different devs shoehorned into "obvious" "best" choices. And we haven't even gotten to the grip vs. hold war yet.

Why not choose a target genre, or even a target game, and then build from there?

CAR105 3

Just take different parts of other controllers and put them together and modify them into something functional

-Gamecube Controller shape with the same analog style
-Xbox Triggers
-PS4/3- L1/R1
-Xbox Buttons(A,B,X,Y)
-X1 D-Pad
-Joysticks material-Your preference
-PS4-Select and start buttons

This is my best suggestion, as I'm not very good at this.

How bout a controller where you can lock the buttons down? So they recess into the molding so you're able to configure any type of button layout you want?

That's a great idea, but wouldn't that fatigue the springs/latex moulds by keeping them continually depressed and compressed, reducing their ability to expand and push the button all the way up to the top of its housing? Maybe with stiffer microswitches, instead?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
This has been a pet project of his for ages (like years), so I'm pretty sure he's interested in building one from the ground up if possible

I've actually wanted a controller with a trackball for awhile myself. In fact, I was hoping one of the systems last gen (360, PS3, Wii) were going to do it before they were officially announced. When Valve announced they were designing a controller for the Steambox, I got my hopes up again, but I they went in a different direction. Basically what I want (maybe I should just try modding this myself) is a controller that's simple to use for gaming, but also allows easy navigation of Windows OS without the need of getting up from the couch. Basically incorporate a KB&M into a standard controller.

Anyway, here's my idea of how to do it:

1. Standard controller layout - I prefer the 360 for ergonomics
  2. Replace the right analog stick with a track ball - in addition to being more accurate aiming, it would allow navigating the OS from the couch with a single device.
  3. Replace the bumpers (L1/R1 on a dual shock) w/a clickable scroll wheel - this allows weapon/item cycling while keeping that buttons original function mapped to the same location.
  4. Add in a QWERTY keyboard - like the one for 360. Again for use in game or in the OS.
The reason I mentioned the 360 controller is because in addition to personal preference, it already works on PC. Since PC will recognize both a 360 pad and KB&M at the same time, essentially this means you would just need to disable the right analog stick and replace it with the track ball. The same thing applies with the bumpers or L1/R1 buttons. So basically when you're playing a game, you'll still have analog movement with the left stick along with any other options specifically mapped to the controller available. Of course, this could all be completely customized either in game or with something like Xpadder. The only problem is that I'm not sure the wireless receiver for the 360 controller would recognize the new inputs.

If anyone has any suggestions or would like to add more input, please let me know. Again, this might be a project I decide to do on my own, so I would appreciate some feedback.

People are giving a lot of suggestions, so I'll throw mine in... Maybe try to design a decent left handed controller? I've heard a lot of nightmares from my lefty friends, and now I have a left handed daughter who's just getting into gaming (she's 4) and I can start to see her having some issues.

Blanquito

Replace the bumpers (L1/R1 on a dual shock) w/a clickable scroll wheel - this allows weapon/item cycling while keeping that buttons original function mapped to the same location.

Now that's an interesting concept. I wonder how well it would work in practice. I like the idea though.

Anyway, my thoughts are: it appears that as games become more reliant on the two stick method, the face buttons become less important. Having 4 face buttons is nice, but if you need to take your thumb off the stick to do something, your character has to stop looking for a moment.

I think Valve is (was? do they still have them?) going down the right path of adding more buttons in places that are underutilized: the other fingers.

Once again, though, how well that works in practice is the hard part.

Teknoman

I think the slightly rounded boomerangish/wave shape of the Genesis six button pad / Saturn Model 2 pad would be a great start.

Aizo

Banned
Or a company based in a country which reads right to left as opposed to left to right.

Japanese people haven't read text literally right to left for a long time. Either it is up to down, with each column going forward to the left:
f_l
o_i
r_k
__e
e
x_t
a_h
m_i
p_s
l_,
e

Or, they read/write from left to write (just like my tag)

Edit: I had to use underscores, because I'm unable to keep it formatted properly with spaces. You hopefully understand what my example means, though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It doesn't matter if people read up down, left right, backwards forwards or whatever. X at the top, B at the bottom, Y to the left and A to the right is the correct layout. End of. There's no argument against it so you needn't bother.

thelastword

Banned

mR35yLk.jpg

This could be the perfect fighting game controller if they added a single analog stick to the left near the dpad. I use both the dpad and analog when I play sf.

Needs one of these on it for playing Atari 2600 games and such:

img_1199.jpg

And a twisty thing for racing games:

neqcon-2-550x398.jpg

And a 12 button number pad , like this:
Atari_jaguar_controller.jpg

Oh, and a spot to plug in VMU memory cards.

Top Bottom