• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Im highly skeptical that Hellblade 2 was ingame

xPikYx

That's a very unfair comparison. You can't compare the Hellblade 2 trailer with Halo Infinite gameplay and declare that the XSX has an overall weak hardware subset. That's ridiculous.
It's not a comparision it is an estimate, Halo infinite trailer shown at e3 2019 has been drastically downgraded, optimistically I want to believe it is in my interest as a gamer but I don't really trust them and I have my reasons

Three

Game engines render in realtime because there is a gaming loop that happens every clock tick. Have you looked at realtime code before? There is no such loop in an offline renderer. I can try to process data every single clock tick of the CPU processor. In an offline render, I don't keep track of a clock-tick. I just do things.

These statements are what get me heated and make me have an attitude. You are trying to define something for me when I've worked on this stuff for years and years successfully. I know what this shit means dude.
You getting heated over your concerning lack of understanding of terms is what's so shocking.

Why don’t you go ask it in a VFX forum then come back and tell me what they tell you. On the fly and pre-rendered definitions are already everywhere.

What do you think that clock tick does? You don't need a 'gaming loop'.
but you have a loop for doing what? Making sure your rendering and real time don't go stupidly out of sync.

When you record that render and play it back faster it is no longer 'realtime' the clock tick is meaningless. You still have keyframe interpolation etc in your 'offline renders' but no interaction and therefore you don't need the loop.

Sagii86

This isn't "arrogance" buddy, this is based on history and facts, we know your hate on Sony is way out there to the point you got expelled from ResetEra to continue your cries here.

Unreal 5 did look better except it wasn't as "cinematic" as Hellblade 2 trailer, Hellblade 2 trailer was captured at 24 FPS to give it that filmic look, but it was real-time, the amounts of geometry in that Unreal 5 DESTROYS Hellblade 2 trailer to no end!!

Those graphics can be achieved and even beyond, but NOT in 2020 nor 2021, not even 2022, maybe way down the line you'll see games looking as good as it or better (Sony games tend to do that mostly alongside Rockstar Games, the rest are mostly weaker).

Accept it buddy.

Both using UE in a different approach, there is no need to tease each other. UE5 demo focused more on the environment geometry, Niagara VFX & GI while HB2 teaser showcases mo-cap & photogrammetry on main character, Houdini smoke & Fire VFX and glimpses of ray tracing.
In conclusion, Unreal is FFA and the industry as a whole will benefit from it.

J_Gamer.exe

You guys are running around in circles.

Let me shed some light on the subject.

It was "in-engine" meaning that it wasn't inside of game code. It was running straight from the UE4 graphics application.

It was "realtime" because it was probably rendering at least 1FPS.

So the devs can get away with the wording.

It was VERY likely rendering @ 1FPS and captured and then played back at 24FPS.

HZ2 is definitely a cutscene and so running in the game code @ whatever res and 30FPS. There were no gameplay shots in their demo either.

Hellblade 2 trailer is a target render. Will the final version meet that trailer? Who knows. But NT has the opportunity to try and hit it with the PC and then maybe have to scale back to XSX.

So if what your saying is correct, it's infact worse that it just rendering at 3840x1608 and 24fps.

The actual game being likely to be 4k30 would have had to downgrade from those visuals given the reduced metrics it was running at, but your saying it's likely not even that, it was smoke and mirrors really... so not near representative of anything?

Disagree about horizon FW there's clearly for me some gameplay bits in there, looking at HZD and what it did on a PS4 its not hard to see some of those shots being achievable. Bgs has said as much that it was cinematics plus some gameplay shots without hud and camera moved out for max cinematic effect.

Heres the bits I think are gamplay some with camera moved for best effect etc.

319092ebfa0b3d65b72377981024ad0e7afc0bdd.gifv

tenor.gif

videoplayback13.gif

U4m7lgb.gif

tenor.gif

There's a few more bits but that'll do. guerrilla aren't going to embarrass themselves by showing something that not even representative.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
This isn't "arrogance" buddy, this is based on history and facts, we know your hate on Sony is way out there to the point you got expelled from ResetEra to continue your cries here.

This has nothing to do with Sony. Is this your way of trying to discredit anything I say? I'm sorry buddy but no matter what you freaking talk about me and ERA, you can't take away my creditials. Period. So stop with the stupid ass referral back to ResetERA. It means nothing here.

Unreal 5 did look better except it wasn't as "cinematic" as Hellblade 2 trailer, Hellblade 2 trailer was captured at 24 FPS to give it that filmic look, but it was real-time, the amounts of geometry in that Unreal 5 DESTROYS Hellblade 2 trailer to no end!!

Look better how? What did it do mr. LED that made it "look" better?

Lighting? Textures? Animation? What?

Those graphics can be achieved and even beyond, but NOT in 2020 nor 2021, not even 2022, maybe way down the line you'll see games looking as good as it or better (Sony games tend to do that mostly alongside Rockstar Games, the rest are mostly weaker).

You are coming in here and trolling for no reason other than to be a dick. I should talk to the mods about people like you that derail the thread for no apparent reason other than to come in here aggravating people and bringing nothing to the discussion other than "it looks better".

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
So if what your saying is correct, it's infact worse that it just rendering at 3840x1608 and 24fps.

The actual game being likely to be 4k30 would have had to downgrade from those visuals given the reduced metrics it was running at, but your saying it's likely not even that, it was smoke and mirrors really... so not near representative of anything?

Disagree about horizon FW there's clearly for me some gameplay bits in there, looking at HZD and what it did on a PS4 its not hard to see some of those shots being achievable. Bgs has said as much that it was cinematics plus some gameplay shots without hud and camera moved out for max cinematic effect.

Heres the bits I think are gamplay some with camera moved for best effect etc.

319092ebfa0b3d65b72377981024ad0e7afc0bdd.gifv

tenor.gif

videoplayback13.gif

U4m7lgb.gif

tenor.gif

There's a few more bits but that'll do. guerrilla aren't going to embarrass themselves by showing something that not even representative.

Dude, HFW has NOTHING to do with our topic at hand.

Mod of War Mod of War - This is yet again another example of the Sony zealots bringing out their dick measuring device to try and derail a thread that has nothing to do with Sony games. It's gotten extremely exhausting and ridiculous. It would be nice if we could remove the console warring comments and force people to stay on topic and stop derailing.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
You getting heated over your concerning lack of understanding of terms is what's so shocking.

If I lack understanding of terms, then why are you still engaging me? Better yet, tell me what your credentials are so I can find it in myself to listen to you.

What do you think that clock tick does? You don't need a 'gaming loop'?
but you have a loop for doing what? Making sure your rendering and real time don't go stupidly out of sync.

You definitely don't work in the industry. I can tell.

Last edited:

LED Guy?

Banned
You are coming in here and trolling for no reason other than to be a dick. I should talk to the mods about people like you that derail the thread for no apparent reason other than to come in here aggravating people and bringing nothing to the discussion other than "it looks better".
This man said "you derail the thread" when all you've been doing in your ResetEra and NeoGAF career (that I know of, yeah I've been reading comments from you since 2018) is DERAILING THREADS ALL THE FREAKING TIME!!

Are you listening to yourself, buddy?

Look better how? What did it do mr. LED that made it "look" better?

Lighting? Textures? Animation? What?
It looks better in lighting (minus the lights that are carefully placed by developers in the Hellblade 2 trailer because the camera shots are scripted and choreographed), I'm talking about how much geometry there is, the lighting, the 8K textures etc etc.....stop it man. 😂😂😂😂

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
There are many developers that have talented artists and programmers that don't work at any of the Sony studios. They can make games just as stellar as Sony devs and some have the money to surpass them in quality and gameplay. Don't ever look down on other developers just because they don't make games specifically for your platform of choice.

i dont think there are so "Many" as you think but ok

J_Gamer.exe

Mod of War Mod of War - This is yet again another example of the Sony zealots bringing out their dick measuring device to try and derail a thread that has nothing to do with Sony games. It's gotten extremely exhausting and ridiculous. It would be nice if we could remove the console warring comments and force people to stay on topic and stop derailing.

Wow. What a cry baby. I've actually tried to engage with you completely fairly and all you can do is run to the mods.

Look at your post you nutter, you mentioned HZD 2 and I was replying to it.

You wrote...

"HZ2 is definitely a cutscene and so running in the game code @ whatever res and 30FPS. There were no gameplay shots in their demo either."

So only your allowed to mention other stuff and not be replied to about it? Who do you think you are?

Suddenly its only you who has thrown insults calling me a sony zealot just for replying to you with where I think your wrong.

I think you need a break pal your out of order!

You can't even have a debate without resorting to name calling. Pathetic.

Just give up veteran. Console Warriors will argue anything negative their console of choice and anything positive the other one. It's easy to tell who is who. Just don't use ignore cause then all the threads turn into 2 posts that don't make any sense.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
HZ2 is definitely a cutscene and so running in the game code @ whatever res and 30FPS. There were no gameplay shots in their demo either.

giphy.gif

VFXVeteran

Banned
Just give up veteran. Console Warriors will argue anything negative their console of choice and anything positive the other one. It's easy to tell who is who. Just don't use ignore cause then all the threads turn into 2 posts that don't make any sense.

It's always the same thing everytime I join a discussion. Talk about how VFX got banned from ERA, try to discredit what he says with NO knowledge whatsoever to use, and generally continue to say "it just looks better because it's Sony".

I spent an entire day yesterday uploading my resume, sending links to my profile, dodging and weaving around all the insults. We can't keep going like this from day to day.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Wow. What a cry baby. I've actually tried to engage with you completely fairly and all you can do is run to the mods.

Look at your post you nutter, you mentioned HZD 2 and I was replying to it.

You wrote...

"HZ2 is definitely a cutscene and so running in the game code @ whatever res and 30FPS. There were no gameplay shots in their demo either."

So only your allowed to mention other stuff and not be replied to about it? Who do you think you are?

Suddenly its only you who has thrown insults calling me a sony zealot just for replying to you with where I think your wrong.

I think you need a break pal your out of order!

You can't even have a debate without resorting to name calling. Pathetic.

Dude, I wasn't even talking about you!

I was talking about LED Guy? LED Guy?

Accept it buddy.

I mentioned HZ2 in it being a cutscene. It was NOT used to dick swing. Do you guys even read the replies? It's like you all join in immediately like someone shot your dog or something? Where did I start talking shit about HZ2 like this guy is doing?

The Fartist

Gold Member
It's always the same thing everytime I join a discussion. Talk about how VFX got banned from ERA, try to discredit what he says with NO knowledge whatsoever to use, and generally continue to say "it just looks better because it's Sony".

I spent an entire day yesterday uploading my resume, sending links to my profile, dodging and weaving around all the insults. We can't keep going like this from day to day.
tenor.gif

Last edited:

J_Gamer.exe

Dude, I wasn't even talking about you!

I was talking about LED Guy? LED Guy?

I mentioned HZ2 in it being a cutscene. It was NOT used to dick swing. Do you guys even read the replies? It's like you all join in immediately like someone shot your dog or something? Where did I start talking shit about HZ2 like this guy is doing?

Hmmm id say that's downright dishonest to a complete lie, you literally quoted my post and said' Mod of War Mod of War This is yet again another example of the Sony zealots bringing out their dick measuring device to try and derail a thread'.

Talk about back tracking.

I've not seen this much wriggling since sircaw sircaw escaped his captors....

tenor.gif

It's a shame as you will clearly know some stuff and could add a lot but seem to approach debates with a huge chip on your shoulder.

This year is not like any other year in gaming history. Covid changed everything about showing off video games. They can have a show whenever they want. As long as they show games being played on series x before say October I wouldn't consider it misleading.
Don't you find it strange, or at least worrisome, that we have seen nothing of consequence to show on series x yet (I remembered that Gears 5 was apparently shown on series x, still worrisome that they have not shows actual benefits of their high specs)... MS has to show us the money, until they have not done so, they have not done it.

Man, you just disagree no need to call your mom (I think the other guy is demonstrably wrong, and he has a poorly formed opinion).

Don't you find it strange, or at least worrisome, that we have seen nothing of consequence to show on series x yet (I remembered that Gears 5 was apparently shown on series x, still worrisome that they have not shows actual benefits of their high specs)... MS has to show us the money, until they have not done so, they have not done it.
If this was a year with regular conventions then yes. But it's not. They can show games any time they like. As long as it's before October I think they are not to late.

Hellblade 2's In Engine trailer really means nothing, even if it was real time and actually running at 24FPS

However, I have no doubt that the game will in fact look like the trailer in the end if Ninja Theory's previous experience and the UE5 demo are any indication.

VFXVeteran

Banned

Yes, I do find that worrisome tbh. Not sure why that is the case.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Dude, I'm really sorry for replying to your post in the mind frame of being offended by the other guys' post. Your post was genuine and I was already raged by the previous troll jab post from the other guy. I should have never replied to you and instead the other guy. I sincerely apologize for that.

Yea, that is true. I think the fidelity of that HB2 trailer is definitely a target. I would have more faith that the PC would hit that target and the XSX would require some things turned down.

I wouldn't go THAT far. It is a target and the main draw of that trailer is the photogrammetry and the detailed shaders. Out of those, the shaders would be something I would worry about not reaching on the XSX. We'll have to wait and see..

Disagree about horizon FW there's clearly for me some gameplay bits in there,

Nope. There are no gameplay bits in that trailer. It was all cutscenes. Just like the Demon Souls trailer was a cutscene (the apparent gameplay at the end is just cutscene).

Bgs has said as much that it was cinematics plus some gameplay shots without hud and camera moved out for max cinematic effect.

I don't believe that. The rendering quality looks too computensive for actual gameplay. And since they do have their engine up and running, it would've made more sense to just show the gameplay (like UE5 demo did).

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
guerrilla aren't going to embarrass themselves by showing something that not even representative.
Yeah cause they've never done anything like that before.

oh wait.....

btw I see no reason why Horizon won't look like that, the first one is a looker. Just had to comment on the hilarity of what you said haha

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

oh wait.....

btw I see no reason why Horizon won't look like that, the first one is a looker. Just had to comment on the hilarity of what you said haha

Oh well... KZ2 trailer again yeah? So, your best example is from, what, 15 years ago :LOL:?! I guess you were hiding in a cave frlm that point and missed almost two decades worth of news and never seen the run up to PS4 and PS5 (KZ:SF trailer missed huh?), but are pushing the angle of a box that is trying to center the narrative of power above all and four months before launch it is showing CG trailers and PC footage... 🤷‍♂️.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Oh well... KZ2 trailer again yeah? So, your best example is from, what, 15 years ago :LOL:?! I guess you were hiding in a cave frlm that point and missed almost two decades worth of news and never seen the run up to PS4 and PS5 (KZ:SF trailer missed huh?), but are pushing the angle of a box that is trying to center the narrative of power above all and four months before launch it is showing CG trailers and PC footage... 🤷‍♂️.
Yes KZ2 trailer lol. Guerilla are literally the worse company you could ever have said that for lol.

they showed the first horizont and the final product was even better,they learned their lesson so tell me whats hilarious?
Were you not around for the Killzone 2 "in game" trailer?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yes KZ2 trailer lol. Guerilla are literally the worse company you could ever have said that for lol.

Were you not around for the Killzone 2 "in game" trailer?

It was more than 15 years ago and the final game was still one of the best looking shooters of the generation on any console platform. Their track record beyond that also marks a pattern that is way more positive than you give them credit for. Not the slam dunk you were thinking IMHO.

Last edited:
Anyone who believes that "in engine" trailer is gameplay is crazy, they've never even called it gameplay lol. The original game took well over 3 years to make when they were only working on PS4 and PC, they still ended up releasing it on Xbox one and later the Switch over time. They haven't had anywhere near enough time to show a trailer that included gameplay in 2019 on a new console, it's just dumb to think that was anywhere close to real. It's not even "in engine on Series X" it's just in engine, likely on a very powerful PC.

I'm sure the actual game will look great but please for the love of god don't confuse marketing BS with a real game. Nothing that's called "in engine" is ever truly representative of the actual game graphics. Remember Forza's in engine trailer for the X1? 3D crowds, highly detailed buildings alongside the tracks etc, what did the final game look like? 2D cardboard cutout people, buildings with far less detail and environmental downgrades all over the place. They didn't need to do that, the forza games generally look great as most racing games do but this in engine BS needs to stop.

MrFunSocks

Banned
It was more than 15 years ago and the final game was still one of the best looking shooters of the generation on any console platform. Their track record beyond that also marks a pattern that I way more poi siti e than you give them credit. Not the slam dunk you were thinking IMHO.
15 years ago? seriously? thats the best u have?
hahah it was a goddamn joke because you picked the company that was in charge of literally the biggest ever lie in terms of "in game" trailers that has ever been. It doesn't matter what has happened since then lol.

Calm down fellas, you're fanboying a bit too hard.

J_Gamer.exe

Dude, I'm really sorry for replying to your post in the mind frame of being offended by the other guys' post. Your post was genuine and I was already raged by the previous troll jab post from the other guy. I should have never replied to you and instead the other guy. I sincerely apologize for that.

Yea, that is true. I think the fidelity of that HB2 trailer is definitely a target. I would have more faith that the PC would hit that target and the XSX would require some things turned down.

I wouldn't go THAT far. It is a target and the main draw of that trailer is the photogrammetry and the detailed shaders. Out of those, the shaders would be something I would worry about not reaching on the XSX. We'll have to wait and see..

Nope. There are no gameplay bits in that trailer. It was all cutscenes. Just like the Demon Souls trailer was a cutscene (the apparent gameplay at the end is just cutscene).

I don't believe that. The rendering quality looks too computensive for actual gameplay. And since they do have their engine up and running, it would've made more sense to just show the gameplay (like UE5 demo did).

Apology accepted, just chill, we can all debate and disagree reasonably.

As for the 3840x1608 and 24fps, I was stating that if what they showed was real, as in thats what SX would be capable of at those metrics, then unless the game comes out running with black bars and 24fps it won't look like that. But if its just a target then we still have very little to go off.

As for the horizon stuff I'll probably reply in the other thread also seeing as your there now but I think its fairly believable considering how good the previous game looked back then.

'I don't believe that. The rendering quality looks too computensive for actual gameplay. And since they do have their engine up and running, it would've made more sense to just show the gameplay (like UE5 demo did).'

IDK maybe you underestimate PS5, if they have an advanced geometry engine, cache scrubbers etc, the GPU can probably punch way above its equivalent PC part. The whole console is set up with clever advancements. I just cant see it not being representative, they would look stupid and the last HZD trailer was met.

Maybe they didn't show it confirmed as they are saving it as the event was already a winning event, but like most games they gave glimpses but in cinematic views.

oh wait.....

I think its a lot more relevant to compare what they did with the last game and it looked exactly like they showed.

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
hahah it was a goddamn joke because you picked the company that was in charge of literally the biggest ever lie in terms of "in game" trailers that has ever been. It doesn't matter what has happened since then lol.

Calm down fellas, you're fanboying a bit too hard.
ok right to the ignore list

J_Gamer.exe

Did you not even read my post that you quoted?

Yep, sure did.

Was responding to your first line.

'Yeah cause they've never done anything like that before.'

The fact ages ago it happened makes it even less likely to happen again. They don't want that pain hence why I'm sure it won't happen.

I know you then say you can see it looking similar, but the hilarity of what I said actually wasn't that hilarious given what GG did last time, which as said is way more relevant.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Yep, sure did.

Was responding to your first line.

'Yeah cause they've never done anything like that before.'

The fact ages ago it happened makes it even less likely to happen again. They don't want that pain hence why I'm sure it won't happen.

I know you then say you can see it looking similar, but the hilarity of what I said actually wasn't that hilarious given what GG did last time, which as said is way more relevant.
So you know that I said I actually agree that Horizon will look like the trailers, so why did you say what you did?

The Killzone 2 trailer happened, and if you can't see the irony in what you said and them being the ones responsible for that whole shitshow then I don't even know anymore.

J_Gamer.exe

So you know that I said I actually agree that Horizon will look like the trailers, so why did you say what you did?

The Killzone 2 trailer happened, and if you can't see the irony in what you said and them being the ones responsible for that whole shitshow then I don't even know anymore.

Its pretty simple, I was simply responding to you post, 'yeah because they have never done anything like that before' and said its more relevant to compare what they did with the last game.

Maybe if I had put GG won't embarrass themselves 'again' by showing something not representative....

Whats said is true they surely won't.

Rea

There are many developers that have talented artists and programmers that don't work at any of the Sony studios. They can make games just as stellar as Sony devs and some have the money to surpass them in quality and gameplay.
Can you tell them to make games plz. I wanna play their games. So far, I don't see any games surpassing GOW TLOU2, HZ1, GOT. So plz tell them to make games. So i can play more games.

Top Bottom