• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm kind of nostalgic for how PS2 games looked on CRT TV's

Timu

not to mention just how damn common 60 FPS was on the PS2. Even with the lower quality assets and textures, the smooth framerate would do a lot of favors for even very modest looking games.
Yeah, though some later PS2 games had issues with framerate I think even with worse assets.

Dreamcast's VGA output makes 3D games look great on new monitors but unfortunately ruins the look of 2D games.
Thank god it also has RGB!!!

Bakkus

I have a 29 inch Trinitron still being used for these games. Looks way too blurry on any decent sized LCD screen to even consider using that.

Mega

Banned
I really wish I could get one of these somewhere. It's a 14" CRT TV made by LG back in 2010 intentionally designed to look as retro as possible...exclusive to South Korea though, it seems.

Though of course I also wish I could get a PVM for a decent price, but they're all ridiculous on eBay.

The ultimate tragedy is when I picked up the 13" JVC CRT I'm using now the seller had a practically new 20" Sony BVM just sitting there...but he wanted $300 for it, way more than I was looking to spend at the time. (And I didn't have the space for it.)

Dude, what are you waiting for?! You're killing me! In the many months since you started posting in the Upscalers thread, you've passed on so many deals to get a PVM or a PVM-like RGB monitor for sub $100 and other Gaffers have snatched up their own reasonably cheap RGB monitors. What's your price ceiling anyway? Set aside some dough from your Famicom cart impulse buys and put up the cash to upgrade from your S-video CRT!

PS. $300 for a mint BVM is an absolute bargain. Although I did get mine for less ;)

KiraXD

Got my old CRT TV back! (Just moved into our new place so its sitting on the floor for now.)

This thing was so effing awesome... Flat screen (not bubble-rounded) 27" with Component and S-video.

Also...Component PS2 cables completely changed my life... I upgraded composite (Yellow, red/white) to S-video... and then when i got this TV i upgraded S-video to Component (RGB) and holy effing shit... that chromatic aberration shimmer/judder you get from composite, disappears, colors are crisp and clear, its effing amazing... seriously the jump in quality from composite to component is like going from 480i to 1080p for the first time.

I have my PS2 in pieces right now and no functional controller, so unfortunately i only have the Wii plugged in via composite... but still... This TV is staying in the Front room for my Daughter (shes 2 and a half) On top of the Wii and eventual PS2, im looking to get SNES and NES with RGB mods plugged into this TV for her... i want her to have all the retro consoles plugged into the best TV possible for them. (if she wants to play the PS4 or XB1 on my 4k she can just hang out in my bedroom lol)

XTD7aIW.png

NQej86v.png

FLctc1w.png

Yes i had the wii hooked up wrong in this last picture... lol couldnt figure out why i didnt get an image until i saw that it was in the "monitor out"

inner-G

Banned
CRT is the only way to go for retro games

I hate the ghosting/judder/lag or whatever you want to call it on HDTVs. Not even the best one handles old-school games as well as my Trinitron, imo

I would love to find a 19 inch or so crt with component inputs. I know they exist but its been difficult finding one. Any bigger than that wont fit on the mobile cart for retro stuff im setting up.
Got a bigger hd crt and ps2 looks awesome on it via component, but I tend to keep it in 4:3 mode since most ps2 games are like that.

chemicals

Just saying... Final Fantasy 10 was so amazing when I first played it on a PS2 hooked up via s-video to my good old Sony Wega 27 inch tv. Freaking flawless.

I was a pretty early adopter to HDTV because I wanted to have one all ready to go when the 360 launched, but I continued to play a ton of PS2 games right until the end of that console's life. Every once in a while it strikes me as strange that there are years and years of PS2 games that I've never once played on a CRT. Persona 3 and 4, for example, are made for a console that was originally envisioned on CRT, but it seems to me that it would be super strange to play them on one.

Mega

Banned
Got my old CRT TV back! (Just moved into our new place so its sitting on the floor for now.)

This thing was so effing awesome... Flat screen (not bubble-rounded) 27" with Component and S-video.

Also...Component PS2 cables completely changed my life... I upgraded composite (Yellow, red/white) to S-video... and then when i got this TV i upgraded S-video to Component (RGB)

Component is not RGB, so unless you get a RGB to Component converter, you won't be using any RGB consoles with that TV. You should also get a Wii Component cable (cheap), install the Homebrew channel with some emulators and enjoy one of the best and most affordable emulation machines around with very minimal input lag.

Slime

Banned
I'm glad I decided the keep the CRT my family bought in the late 90s. Played most of my PS1, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, GameCube and Xbox games on it back then. We almost got rid of it when my parents bought their first HDTV back in '07 or so, but I decided to hold on to it at the last minute.

Lots of great memories attached to it, plus it's a good size, in good shape, has a perfect picture, and all the right inputs. Perfect for retro gaming.

I hope those of you with retro platforms on CRTs contribute some nice shots to the 240p/scanlines thread. There are way too many professional monitor and non-CRT shots representing retro in there. I personally love the imperfect consumer TV look.

alf717

I have a collection of CRT TVs that work very good for retro games. One Toshiba, Sharp, Sony and a couple RCA TVs. I wish I knew more on how to calibrate them cause the Sony and one RCA unit could use it. I have one Sony PVM but sadly no picture.

I hope those of you with retro platforms on CRTs contribute some nice shots to the 240p/scanlines thread. There are way too many professional monitor and non-CRT shots representing retro in there. I personally love the imperfect consumer TV look.

I have a few but taking CRT shots are tough.

I agree. Upscalers and their ilk have a nice look to them I might prefer for 2D games but 3D I think some things look best that way because they don't always look as timeless as their 2D counterparts. I have a 2004 Trinitron I keep around for this era of games in particular.

KiraXD

Component is not RGB, so unless you get a RGB to Component converter, you won't be using any RGB consoles with that TV. You should also get a Wii Component cable (cheap), install the Homebrew channel with some emulators and enjoy one of the best and most affordable emulation machines around with very minimal input lag.

yeah no i know, poor choice of words (i was more pointing out the actual component input colors lol (and i did say NES, but i meant mainly SNES and Genesis with the Retrovision cables, i know id need a convertor for NES)
10dc20ea8f3a2b89c23cddece8b613e5_large.jpeg

and wii component cable is on my to-get list... but Homebrew Channel has been on my wii since... day one lol.

jsnepo

I still have my Sony Wega with component input for this reason alone. I love how SD games look and have great appreciation on how these games were able to look good on such weak hardware. To be honest, I never wanted to get remasters unless they're on a Vita and performs well.

gelf

I'd love to and I've tried but I can't get a decent picture out of both my old ass phone and even older camera. There might be settings I can use to make things better but I know nothing about that. If there's an easy to follow guide to taking them I'd give it another go.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I know what you mean, I still have a weird thing for the shimmer the the graphics of Virtua Fighter 4 had for example.
Funny thing about VF4...

There are some tricks out there which enable 16:9 480p mode in Virtua Fighter 4 despite the fact that it is originally a field rendered game. There's nothing technically preventing it from hitting 480p since it's a simple hex edit.

nOoblet16

SD CRT resolutions didn't just help mask aliasing artifacts, but also the limitations of the assets themselves (stuff like, say, basic-ass foliage).
MGS3 had amazing looking foliage that even reacted to player appropriately rather than just movie/shake when the player comes in contact with the..even modern games don't really do that.

That is why I bought one of these. Looks so good with my old consoles.

ptWMVl8.jpg

Aren't even tiny, used monitors similar to this like a grand or more? I'd love to have one but the last time I looked into it they seemed so expensive. I'm also afraid of needing repairs or replacement parts on something like this...

Still, they're very cool.

Mega

Banned
Aren't even tiny, used monitors similar to this like a grand or more? I'd love to have one but the last time I looked into it they seemed so expensive. I'm also afraid of needing repairs or replacement parts on something like this...

Still, they're very cool.

No, keep an eye out and you could grab one for under $100. I have the 15" version of that monitor and two of the higher spec 17" HD version. They're all relatively new (mid-late 2000s) with low hours, paid $100~ for each. There are a lot more old PVMs around and for those you have to be more careful about what you're getting.

No, keep an eye out and you could grab one for under $100. I have the 15" version of that monitor and two of the higher spec 17" HD version. They're all relatively new (mid-late 2000s) with low hours, paid $100~ for each. There are a lot more old PVMs around and for those you have to be more careful about what you're getting.

Oh wow, that is good to hear. I'll have to look into it again then. Appreciate the info.

Top Bottom