• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will GTA 6 gameplay really look like that or bullshots?

Will the final product look that good on ps5/SX?

• Yes, Dummy! This is Rockstar!

Votes: 195 57.7%
  • NO, these are complete bullshots. Just hype

Votes: 35 10.4%
  • Will be heavily downgraded by Launch

Votes: 108 32.0%

• Total voters

Fbh

The trailer mostly looked like cutscenes, I think cutscenes will look like that. Nothing looked particularly mindblowing aside from the number of NPCs.
I don't think the actual moment to moment gameplay will look like most of the trailer.

Del_X

It looks completely feasible for a $200M+ production running at 30fps and using dynamic resolution and some upscaling sauce. Most impressive aspect was the crowd density and draw distance/LOD. I think it looks good but not "too good to be true"

Reactions: K2D

Deerock71

They've had as much or more time to work on this as Nintendo did with Tears of the Kingdom. I think we're looking at a close facsimile of what we're actually going to see, and R* might very well charge 99 for the base game.

Elysium44

Banned
Absolutely could not agree more. The ridiculous push for 60fps games has hobbled the industry. It's treated like a holy Grail, when the average gamer simply doesn't care.

Glad to see a big studio ditch 60fps in favor of awesome visuals. We can have both next Gen...
The push for 4K is what's hobbled the industry, not 60fps which used to be standard before the PS360 generation.

There are no awesome visuals in the trailer, it looks no better than GTA IV more or less.

Last edited:

Soltype

PS4
vs
PS3
Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

Rockstar showed with the Trailer how lazy and profit driven other developers and publishers are.

The consoles are out for 3 years out and only a few games are worth to be called PS5 and XSX Games.
I was pointing out that they released PS4 screenshots to advertise the PS3 version.

The first section are official screenshots released for the PS3 version of the game.In the magazine and web screenshots section, 6th row 1st screen is the same pic. They were obviously using the better looking version to advertise.I don't know if they're doing it again, but they've shown duplicity before.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
If you look at the trailer close enough, you can spot imperfections. So it's not impossible to think some of what we see in the trailer we see in game.

• Thoughtful

Raven77

The push for 4K is what's hobbled the industry, not 60fps which used to be standard before the PS360 generation.

There are no awesome visuals in the trailer, it looks no better than GTA IV more or less.

You are absolutely right about that too!

dcx4610

Nothing I saw truly wowed me graphically. It looks great but it looks like a PS5 game. It reminded me of how GTA5 looks on PC.

I think the stand out will be the physics, AI and random things you can do. I think the final product will be very close to what you saw in the trailers.

Nothing I saw truly wowed me graphically. It looks great but it looks like a PS5 game. It reminded me of how GTA5 looks on PC.

I think the stand out will be the physics, AI and random things you can do. I think the final product will be very close to what you saw in the trailers.
I have seen a few people say this and its just not true.

Go look at the trailer and GTA 5 side by side, GTA 6 looks way better and it has more density, more npc, etc.

I play GTA 5 maxed out with mods on PC, The environment and characters don't look like what is in that trailer.

Last edited:

Muffdraul

The only GTA V trailer 1 downgrade I remember off the top of my head was the young gang banger standing next to the building under construction and an older dude in a goofy Bill Cosby sweater walks by him with a "boy, get outta my face" gesture. The gang banger is wearing a white t-shirt which is picking up and reflecting colors from the signage on the building behind him. That little detail was impressive as hell, and of course it didn't exist in the actual game. Not sure it's made it into any remasters either.

I'm sure there were plenty of other downgrades, downgrades are pretty much a given when studios insist on showing us their stuff way before it's finished.

sendit

Graphically it looks amazing. My main concern is if the crowd and overall density will remain the same when the game comes out.

sendit

I have seen a few people say this and its just not true.

Go look at the trailer and GTA 5 side by side, GTA 6 looks way better and it has more density, more npc, etc.

I play GTA 5 maxed out with mods on PC, The environment and characters don't look like what is in that trailer.

Some people are pretty delusional to think this game looks like GTA5 on PC.

If you think you'll ever be strolling along on the beach in open world gameplay and see that many NPCs, you're a fool and fell for their handcrafted bullshots. Absolutely these are bullshots.
Go play Cyberpunk 2077 on a maxed out PC, once you do you will realize it’s very possible. This is rockstar, they have an endless budget to make this possible.

Pallas

Gold Member
I have high hopes for this after what they did with RDR2. Has it been confirmed if this is current gen only or is Xbox one/PS4 included?

gundalf

I think it will look like that, the realism comes mostly from the superb lighting model, fine tuned PBR materials and minute detail animations.
But I have no idea of the history of Rockstar and potential downgrades, how was it with RDR2 from initial trailers to release?

HoodWinked

people acting like they haven't seen a videogame before. visually it looks not that far from RDR2, they have a stylized and videogamey look to the characters. the thing that does make it stand out is the density of the art/assets/animation and that's mostly about how much money they can throw at it.

Go play Cyberpunk 2077 on a maxed out PC, once you do you will realize it’s very possible. This is rockstar, they have an endless budget to make this possible.
It's not possible. Consider how basic and awful the AI in Cyberpunk is compared to even GTA 4, an Xbox 360 game. Also take notice how in the shot, you can see in the mid range distance there are 0 NPCs along the beach. They're all front loaded into the frame. That's the engine at max capacity with every hand placed NPC and animation front and center to make you go "wow" in the fast 3 seconds or so before it changes scene. It's typical marketing lies. You'll see.

sendit

people acting like they haven't seen a videogame before. visually it looks not that far from RDR2, they have a stylized and videogamey look to the characters. the thing that does make it stand out is the density of the art/assets/animation and that's mostly about how much money they can throw at it.

It’s not just visually. It’s how everything interacts, hair, animation, physics, density. Every little detail is several levels higher than RDR2.

Jakk

You can't be serious, when was the last time you played GTA IV?

Elysium44

Banned
You can't be serious, when was the last time you played GTA IV?

Today. Think about it. GTA IV was a gigantic leap over the PS2 era GTA games. GTA V which was cross-gen PS3/PS4 was barely any improvement graphically and in some regards the game was simplified, eg. driving and ragdoll physics, there is a video around showing a lot of innovations GTA IV had which were removed in GTA V. GTA VI will have to run on an Xbox Series S so it stands to reason it won't be much of a technical leap over GTA V because it can't be.

Note I saw 'more or less'. Of course it will be an improvement over GTA IV but it won't be dramatic. I think people underestimate how much GTA IV moved the needle, it also ran at 20fps on consoles half the time IIRC and sub 720p because it pushed the hardware to the absolute limits (edit - 640p on PS3 without AA, 720p on Xbox 360 with AA apparently).

Last edited:

midnightAI

The single thing that makes me think that what we are seeing isn't real (as in, I think its in-engine but not realtime ie 30fps), discounting the sheer volume of geometry, the lighting, hair physics, water physics etc. .......... is that there is no pop-in/LOD changes, zero, nada, no matter what the shot.

(not saying its not possible, but I haven't seen a game yet that has anywhere near this kind of detail that has no pop-in especially in wide angle shots across environments)

Last edited:

Tunned

The only GTA V trailer 1 downgrade I remember off the top of my head was the young gang banger standing next to the building under construction and an older dude in a goofy Bill Cosby sweater walks by him with a "boy, get outta my face" gesture. The gang banger is wearing a white t-shirt which is picking up and reflecting colors from the signage on the building behind him. That little detail was impressive as hell, and of course it didn't exist in the actual game. Not sure it's made it into any remasters either.

I'm sure there were plenty of other downgrades, downgrades are pretty much a given when studios insist on showing us their stuff way before it's finished.
Graphically it looks amazing. My main concern is if the crowd and overall density will remain the same when the game comes out.
This above. The first GTAV trailer had NPC scenes that never made it into the final game, such as Muffdraul mentioned. Also the crop duster spraying pesticides over the fields of grapes(?) with the gatherers below coughing; women running down the street and some guys checking them out; golf players (did they make it in?.

I'm afraid these scenes were created for the trailer, but i really want to be proven wrong with GTAVI, I want the density to remain the same. Imagines launching a rocket at the car meet, or on Ocean drive during party hours...

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
It will look close enough. NPC animations are most likely tailored for the trailer to make it look the best and the world 'lived-in'.

Similar to this Cyberpunk 2077 trailer. Game looks extremely close on PC with PT, hell, even better in many aspects but obviously animations are nowhere as smooth and many scenes don't even exist in the final game.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It looks completely feasible for a $200M+ production running at 30fps and using dynamic resolution and some upscaling sauce. Most impressive aspect was the crowd density and draw distance/LOD. I think it looks good but not "too good to be true"
Forbidden West is a $200M game, RDR2 was a $500M game, this is a $1B game at least.

K2D

Banned
Graphics in trailer looks on par with what we got from Uncharted 4 on PS4, so I would think it's entirely plausible for a Rockstar open world title on current gen systems..!

Edit: ..and current generation systems are vastly more capable than last gen compared for their time.

Last edited:

ckaneo

The fact that it's 1440 p and 30 fps suggest yes. Even sony games are 4k at 30 fps.

That means they have more cpu room for NPCs and physics.

midnightAI

Graphics in trailer looks on par with what we got from Uncharted 4 on PS4, so I would think it's entirely plausible for a Rockstar open world title on current gen systems..!
what? you are either completely overestimating what was done on the PS4 with Uncharted 4 or you are completely underestimating what is going on here with this trailer

are people really watching this trailer and thinking its not better than absolutely everything that has come before it? I'm not even a GTA fan, but the graphics in this trailer are easily the best we have ever seen (this is why I actually don't think they are doable in gameplay in this form, even at 1440p 30fps unless it is on a absolutely high end PC with the most expensive top of the range graphics card (or two, or three) out there)

Last edited:

Falc67

Add another 0 to that £200m

K2D

Banned
what? you are either completely overestimating what was done on the PS4 with Uncharted 4 or you are completely underestimating what is going on here with this trailer

are people really watching this trailer and thinking its not better than absolutely everything that has come before it? I'm not even a GTA fan, but the graphics in this trailer are easily the best we have ever seen (this is why I actually don't think they are doable in gameplay in this form, even at 1440p 30fps unless it is on a absolutely high end PC with the most expensive top of the range graphics card (or two, or three) out there)
What I do know is that Naughty Dog are Masters at designing single player games in confined environments and R* are wizards at making open world games.

We'll absolutely see more npc density, higher draw distances and less canned visual effects.

It won't look as good as GTAV on PC by a long shot, but most people will be blown away by GTA6's graphics and R* will do things that hasn't been done before. I'm talking sum complexity.

Muffdraul

This above. The first GTAV trailer had NPC scenes that never made it into the final game, such as Muffdraul mentioned. Also the crop duster spraying pesticides over the fields of grapes(?) with the gatherers below coughing; women running down the street and some guys checking them out; golf players (did they make it in?.

I'm afraid these scenes were created for the trailer, but i really want to be proven wrong with GTAVI, I want the density to remain the same. Imagines launching a rocket at the car meet, or on Ocean drive during party hours...
I didn't mean the scene got cut, the first trailer doesn't have many moments that actually made it into the game. I meant the graphical effect where a character's clothing would pick up and reflect colors from the environment. I just remember some graphic tech analyst pointing it out in a video saying how amazing it was in 2011, and having it in mind when the game finally released and noticing that effect wasn't in the game.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
"On par with Uncharted 4"
"Look the same as GTA 5"
"It looks pre-rendered"

So many clueless takes. The Graphical Fidelity thread is like a goldmine

Last edited:

Mobilemofo

Well, I'd expect alot from rockstar. They have had 9 years, and plenty of dlc cash from GTA5 online, and new hardware to really put in the work, so there's no excuses. 😄

Rob_27

If it does indeed look like this when it comes out and has no downgrades. All other devs need to up their game big time.

I would love a game so dense and full of life. Sounds too good to be true?

Stafford

I genuinely do not understand why people think this looks to good to be true. It's much more powerful hardware, Rockstar is super skilled, this all looks absolutely possible. Nothing that strikes me as too good to be true.

general look and feel yes, but i wouldnt expect hair physics, crowd density/NPC animation uniqueness, lighting quality, etc to be as good during gameplay.

and a lot could happen between now and 2025... delays, downgrades, etc.

nashman

Turn down the lighting a bit. Reduce the crowd density a lot then yes that’s what it will look like.

It’ll look like the trailer on a 4080+ eventually when PC version is released.

pxlwrld

Neo Member
People forget Rockstar Games has been the apex of graphical fidelity for over 3 generations now. It will look like that, if not better.

Crayon

I think it looks impressive technically but I think this well produced trailer is doing some lifting on top of that.

Danknugz

I may be in the minority but did nothing for me because unless a trailer has actual gameplay I couldn’t care less about it

I can’t wait to play it but this trailer did nothing for my hype levels
i literally didn't even bother arching and not going to bother until at least 2025 unless i happen to inadvertently see a couple seconds here and there which i already have

K2D

Banned
"On par with Uncharted 4"
"Look the same as GTA 5"
"It looks pre-rendered"

So many clueless takes. The Graphical Fidelity thread is like a goldmine

Hah! Sorry you got triggered. You shouldn't read to much into my comment.

I think it looks really good - I've seen things with higher IQ with insane performance, very little tops what R* will do with this gameplay and mechanics wise.

Don't know if you seek drama or if your actually irked lol

Very few are able or willing to do what R* is doing and they are probably still the #1 dev in terms of production value.

Last edited:

Danknugz

Equating a real time 3D trailer with "bullshots" (which typically means CG) is a bit weird. GTA V looked better than the reveal trailer. The question is going to be what framerate/resolution combinations they can achieve, if the world density stays in tact, or what kind of improvements a theoretical PS5 Pro version could have. I've never known Rockstar to pull a Halo 2 E3 2003 or BioShock Infinite E3 2011 where a vertical slice is presented in real time, but is absent from the final product. It is too early to hazard a guess on much of anything, at this point.
there's no way this trailer was running on the target consoles (or even ps5 pro hardware equivalent) i believe was his point. 30 fps expect nothing more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom