• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will GTA 6 gameplay really look like that or bullshots?

Will the final product look that good on ps5/SX?

• Yes, Dummy! This is Rockstar!

Votes: 195 57.7%
  • NO, these are complete bullshots. Just hype

Votes: 35 10.4%
  • Will be heavily downgraded by Launch

Votes: 108 32.0%

• Total voters
Exactly my thoughts. I'm confused with everyone saying how unbelievably good it looks, how it will need a 5090 etc... It looks good but the trailer did nothing particularly groudbreaking for me. At this point it kind of seem like an echo chamber where everyone exagerate it.
Uh let’s see:
1. The amount of npcs on that beach scene/level of fidelity achieved with each npc - is far beyond any game currently out.
2. Detail in assets and world in better than anything out
3. Hair simulation physics, which are pretty intensive - nothing out is close to what they’re doing here
4. The water displacement/simulation is also beyond anything released
5. The lighting looks like some type of crazy good GI on the scale of an open world GTA game
6. jiggle physics - have not seen a game released do anything near that

And this is all in an open world GTA game which is know for being fairly interactive and advanced in AI and other areas.

There’s more but that’s a start to why people are blown away by the way it looks.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Fixed and agreed.

It was also 7-8 years and started without the funds of MS behind it.
Yeah, because Zenimax is so poor...
MS funds =/ Xbox studios funds

For all we know, Xbox could have given it a smaller budget, because there would be no Playstation release from the start and they knew it was going straight to gamepass much earlier.

WitchHunter

Banned
Exactly my thoughts. I'm confused with everyone saying how unbelievably good it looks, how it will need a 5090 etc... It looks good but the trailer did nothing particularly groudbreaking for me. At this point it kind of seem like an echo chamber where everyone exagerate it.
And the characters move like it's from a 10 year old game : DDD or have some severe neck pain or sumthin.

Yeah, because Zenimax is so poor...
MS funds =/ Xbox studios funds

For all we know, Xbox could have given it a smaller budget, because there would be no Playstation release from the start and they knew it was going straight to gamepass much earlier.
-Starfield's development budget was $400m (you can google this for proof).
-GTA 6 development budget is heavily rumored to cost somewhere between $1B and $2B.

Hey man, I like Starfield myself, but GTA 6 would be anywhere from double to quadruple the cost in this case. I'm not sure if Zenimax pre-MS would make that gigantic of a gamble on a new property, considering the value of their company compared to Rockstar. Bethesda was the smaller titan here.

Ar¢tos

-GTA 6 development budget is heavily rumored to cost somewhere between $1B and $2B.

Hey man, I like Starfield myself, but GTA 6 would be anywhere from double to quadruple the cost in this case. I'm not sure if Zenimax pre-MS would make that gigantic of a gamble on a new property, considering the value of their company compared to Rockstar. Bethesda was the smaller titan here.
What I'm saying is that massive budget, army of devs and long development times don't always mean the result is a 95+ metacritic game and people should control their hype.
It's better to be surprised in a good way than disappointed.

LostDonkey

I said in another thread I can't think of any other game they've released where the visuals changed from the trailers.

They always produce the goods imo

Moses85

What of it? Bethesda is nothing but dirt under Rockstar's boots.
Proud Billy Gardell GIF by CBS

What I'm saying is that massive budget, army of devs and long development times don't always mean the result is a 95+ metacritic game and people should control their hype.
There's literally only one way I see this game disappointing. Single Player content locked behind a live service.

Bethesda simply isn't a good enough comparison to Rockstar's main dev. I don't want to trash Bethesda so I'll just say this: They have relied on a certain engine and gameplay formula ever since Oblivion, that has shielded them from a long list of major criticisms, because they were the best ones to do what they did. I don't know how long this will last, but I'd say that the combination of Fallout 4, Fallout 76, and Starfield have slowly eroded that shield.

I can't say the same for Rockstar North. R* North literally have two criticisms and both criticisms are only related to game design only: player animation and restrictive mission design. However, aside from that? Absolute polish to an insane degree.

I think it probably will look close to what we have seen. Maybe it will have to be 1080p reconstructed to 1440p on Ps5 and X then 720p reconstructed to 1080p on the S.
It will look great though knowing rockstar.

Denton

I don't actually find it THAT much better looking than RDR2. You can see it is the same engine, characters look on par. Main difference is density of assets due to modern day setting. I don't think it will get downgraded graphically, but the density of NPCs and cars might be modified downwards to achieve stable framerate.

It will look like that for sure. Im Rockstar I have full confidence.

The trailer showed it all. The NPC's doing random stuff making the world feel lived in and alive. The increase in NPC and traffic density. They'll hit all that in the final game.

This is what I've wanted from an open world for ages. I mean check the beach scene. There were groups of NPCs just doing their own thing. That got me hyped more than the visuals.

I don't much care for the visuals because theres Red Dead 2 as proof they can deliver the eye candy.

GTA6 is going to be Red Dead 2 on steroids and I'm down for that.

GymWolf

It does not look visually impressive enough to be skeptical. Not saying it looks bad, just doesn’t look unbelievable. That, coupled with their track record.
Pretty much this, it look incredible but not unbelievable, especially when you take into account 10+ years of development and the 2 billions budget.

People say RDR2 looked realy good when it released, and it does, but it graphically it was in the same leage as other AAA games at that time.

Lol no it wasn't? There was no open world game remotely close to it. Even now there is really only cyberpunk that hangs with RDR2 on PC.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'm sure it will look nice. GTA 5 on the PS3 was amazing for the time. The PS4 Pro remaster was astounding for its time.

I'm just worried about gameplay. I think the combat in GTA 5 / Online sucks pretty badly. It's janky and feels annoying. I want to see a complete modern revamp in that department.

timothet

IMO it will get better in some apects and worse in others. Things change during development and they still have over a year of it left.
Overall I would expect it to look close to that trailer, at least on PS5/XBX Pro and PC(in 2027 or whenever it will launch there). Base consoles may get shafted on some details/effects.

Myths

It looks more like an upgraded version of their Rockstar Editor but with maxed out settings at output. It’s not any different than how we’re able to create cinematic videos in V — you’re just able to export with max settings. There’s likely heaps of post-processing added on top for cinematography.

Similarly. Obviously the visual effect transitions are edited but otherwise, you can get this quality in-game with a handful of ReShade effects. I’m certain Rockstar has their own pipeline where shaders bring it much closer to the trailer we saw.

Last edited:
I'm sure it will look nice. GTA 5 on the PS3 was amazing for the time. The PS4 Pro remaster was astounding for its time.

I'm just worried about gameplay. I think the combat in GTA 5 / Online sucks pretty badly. It's janky and feels annoying. I want to see a complete modern revamp in that department.
I'm not too concerned that it won't be vastly improved. For 2013, GTA 5 combat was decent enough for an open world game. It's too bad Rockstar couldn't have added more Max Payne 3 mechanics in GTA 5 but those games were being made simultaneously, so it was probably difficult. And now that Rockstar knows that online and PvP is such a goldmine, I'd be shocked if they skimped on the gameplay. Even in the gameplay leaks there seemed to be vast improvements

ThisIsMyDog

Why should i control my hype, if there is only one game to be hyped about it is Rockstar projects, and certainly any new GTA.

Hrk69

I'm confident the end-product will look the same, these guys made Red Dead 2 and it's still one of the most impressive looking games out there

It will look that good because thats what Rockstar are masters at: making an immersive open world city. Now mission design is another beast altogether and will be as stuck in the past as Starfield was.

MetalRain

I think they can pull off the quality of assets they've shown, but I think density of things feels like bullshit. Some examples below.

Flamingo scene at 0:20

Here you see about hundred birds, few alligators and other animals. I don't think any game does that.

Beach scene at 0:21

Here you have hundred people, that is plausible, but they aren't just standing there, you have some unique things they do, in addition to people you see three helicopters, plane and other vehicles. I don't assume beach normally is this busy in this game.

So these are most likely some hand crafted scenes that might be present in cutscene, but not really indicative of gameplay.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
There’s going to be some downgrades here and there. Probably the beach being less populated, and possibly some environmental details.

Character models weren’t anywhere near “next gen”, so no idea what people are on there. Actually I take that back somewhat. For NPCs they’re pretty good.

The thing is GTA V also had a similar bitchin trailer and a lot of things happening in the trailer are really kinda just for the trailer.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I’m guessing this is totally achievable on a high end PC; consoles will be close enough but sliders turned down to lower settings/population density, etc. to achieve just 30FPS with upscaling to 4K.

th4tguy

Does no one here remember the downgrade from the initial gta v trailer and release? There is a digital foundry video on it. What they showed was closer to what pc got than what consoles got and pc came out a year later.

Kikorin

Will be the most impressive game ever seen because of scale, density, animations, open world, variety of situations, details, etc... But I expect some downgrade here and there. It will looks incredible anyway.

Jakk

I don't think some of you understand what 12 years of dev time by a literal army-sized developer on an unlimited budget will do for a game.
12 years is a bit overexaggerated, they worked on RDR II between V and VI. Not saying VI wasn't being worked on in some shape or form before RDR II came out, but I would say most of the workforce shifted to VI only after RDR II released.

Hugare

oYtU83h.png
zDo7rnH.png

Shots from RDR 2 1st trailer

RDR 2 ended up having these graphics, but I've never seen NPCs posing in such a perfect way during gameplay

Same for the scene with the dog

The game will look like that, but those scenes where NPCs are acting perfectly lifelike aint happening

They were handmade for the trailer. So kinda "bullshotty" in a way

But expect that fidelity in graphics

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned

Do they also have creative accounting in games or that's only a movie thing?

Gojiira

Come on now, plenty of current gen games look ‘AS good’ the only thing that is incredible is the SCALE of it, so do we think Rockstar will pull off this fidelity? Of course, they have been making it exclusively for current hardware, years in which to work on the tech, polish and optimise.
More importantly though is whether the gameplay etc will be good or dated.

Zero_Karisma

Neo Member
If it was any other developer I’d say expect a downgrade. But going off of Rockstars track record I’m confident this is the graphics we’re getting.

The real question is if it’ll be 60fps.

Ecotic

I thought the trailer was exclusively material from scripted cutscenes and gave very little indication as to how things would look in-game when you're walking around. Given that, maybe in the strictest sense you could edit together a nearly 1:1 recreation of the trailer from the final game.

I did think the trailer was kind of blurry and low-res but I didn't know if that was from youtube compression or Rockstar was being honest that that was how they'd get the game to run on PS5.

Top Bottom