• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Important new Pokemon announcement coming on Jan 8 [Up: Hyped By NA Twitter]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CassSept

May simply be a new Pokemon (Togepi, Munchlax, Wailmer, Zoroark etc) where the games are announced later. Zoroark, for example, was announced in February but the games weren't detailed until April, iirc.

Dude, Munchlax was announced two and a half years before DP. Now that was something!

sakipon

I'm hoping something for Wii U. I'm hyped for my new console and want some news for it... something to look forward to.

Battle Revolution type of thing would be fine.

Qurupeke

Remakes, Gen 6... Who cares. All I want is Pokemon on 3D. I hope that they will be able continue with the sprites thought.

fisheyes

I'm placing my bet on a Gen 3 remake for 3DS.

I'm going to call it: we will get another Gen 1 remake before we ever get a Gen 3 one. But this won't be that, either. It'll be a new Pokemon that'll appear in the new movie, leading to a 3DS Gen 6 later this year.

Acrylic7

All seriousness, I hope its Gen6.

I can only pray that they changed the formula.
-6 move slots
-Damage is calculated differently depending on Size/ weight, types, attributes and all that jazz
- No heal items in battle
-catching almost any Pokemon in the wild on any route.
-Tougher trainers
-Very detailed Pokedex that isn't full of mediocre descriptions made for 1st graders in the 90's.
-No HMs, Pokemon should be able to do half that stuff naturally/ It can easily be implemented.

But hey, this is probably just a Pokemon announcement to countdown or something :/

Sadist

Oh man, it just hit me;

If a new mainline Pokémon game gets announced, Japan will receive Dragon Quest VII, Monster Hunter 4 and a new Pokémon game within the year. Japan will die.

ffdgh

Oh the unbalanced chaos 6 move slots would bring....
KuGsj.gif

upandaway

It will just be weird to move Pokemon to the 3DS without it being a new generation. Also, aren't Pokemon games made in 2 teams? Then there wouldn't be enough time for the B-team to release a new game before the main team.

Even if it's gonna come out in Japan this year, I think it'll take until next year for it to be localized. March 2014 for Gen 6 on 3DS?
I wouldn't mind, since I'm nowhere near done with my DS yet (just started Advance Wars the other day)

I'm not familiar with how much pull Pokemon would have on a home console.

Would it sell well on the Wii U or are Nintendo better sticking with the 3DS?

I have the feeling that the forum meltdowns on NeoGAF and various Pokémon forums would be quite messy.

Anyway...

It's about time for... more Pokémon. I don't care about the style - it depends on the system, and as long as it's executed well... yeah.

Can't contain excitement

Acrylic7

Woah that would be interesting. But then they should create the Uber^2 tier.

Was playing W2 last night and was doing some serious grinding.
Its a serious pain in my ass when my electric Pokemon only has room for 1 electric attack and cant learn Thunder.
Or when my Lucario needs a stronger fighting type move, but cant since Psychic, Sword Dance, and Bone rush have been working very well so far.

2 more move slots would do nothing but add strategy. And maybe the move slots can only be activated during a certain level. Or maybe the extra slots are only available for certain Pokemon, such as weaker Pokemon or whatsoever. Anything would be better than our current formula imo. Would add nothing but more strategy.

they never made a mainline Pokemon on consoles so it would not be fair to judge the sales of those spin-offs and stadium battle titles

Pokémon mainline games are made for portable gaming because of trading and stuff.
Truth be told, that's not a problem anymore since the DS games with online trading and stuff, but still, the core gameplay is still meant to be played on the go.

upandaway

Pokémon mainline games are made for portable gaming because of trading and stuff.
Truth be told, that's not a problem anymore since the DS games with online trading and stuff, but still, the core gameplay is still meant to be played on the go.
I get what you're saying, but it's because the way Pokemon has evolved made the gameplay fit for the handheld experience. At the core experience, Pokemon could go absolutely anywhere, since the focus is the world and "battle, trade, collect" mentality and not the little intricacies to the gameplay.

If they take a few steps back and look at it from a different angle, it's very easy to create a console game out of it. It's easy to create any kind of game.

Purist will always say this and Nintendo may keep it this way but there is really no reason not to have cross platform versions. I agree with you I see little chance for
change here.

What I was thinking of is how crazy the Pokemon community would be on Miiverse which seem to be a Wii U platform

Pokemon Snap for Wii U woo

Bagu

Ruby/Sapphire remakes filled with secret bases/streetpass goodness.
After beating the Elite Four, you get a ticket for a cruise. You go on, beat some dudes, get off, and now you're in a brand new region with 100 sum new pokémon.

That's how you start Gen VI.

Purist will always say this and Nintendo may keep it this way but there is really no reason not to have cross platform versions. I agree with you I see little chance for change here.

Yeah, sadly. I mean, I would LOVE a regular Pokémon game on Wii U instead of 3DS. Hell, I would be satisfied if Nintendo used the one they make for 3DS and ported them to Wii U, basically make the features like the ones in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

Though the graphics should be better on Wii U, obviously. At least a good celshaded adventure would be nice.

Qurupeke

Ruby/Sapphire remakes filled with secret bases/streetpass goodness.
After beating the Elite Four, you get a ticket for a cruise. You go on, beat some dudes, get off, and now you're in a brand new region with 100 sum new pokémon.

That's how you start Gen VI.

Secret bases. These were awesome. :')

Bagu

Secret bases. These were awesome. :')
Yes, they were indeed awesome. Add Streetpass functionality and you got yourself even more awesomeness.

Also, whatever Gen VI brings us, I only hope it's not another Fire/Fighting starter.
Three lines is plenty for now.

*makes mental note to lock down editing on Bulbapedia on the 8th*
Whenever an announcement like this comes out, we always get people fighting with each other to get an article up, filled with unfounded speculation.

Speaking of unfounded speculation....my own money at this point would be on 6th Gen mainline games for the 3DS, coming out late 2013 for Japan, and probably around Easter in English speaking territories.

At this point, we are already overdue for seeing the first Pokémon titles on new hardware. I don't see it being likely that the first mainline game on a new console would be a remake, so it just seems more plausible that it'd be an entirely new gen.

Bagu

they'll just reverse it this time and make it fighting/fire
You pick a fire type.
Switches to fighting type on first evolution.
Regains fire as a secondary typing on final stage.
You yell towards the heaven asking, "WHY!"
And all you hear is laughter.

PK Gaming

Gah

4 more agonizingly slow days

I seriously can't wait; i doubt it'll be an announcement for a mainline Pokemon game, but hopefully they've got something interesting cooked up (Pokemon Stadium 3 lgi)

Qurupeke

Speaking of unfounded speculation....my own money at this point would be on 6th Gen mainline games for the 3DS, coming out late 2013 for Japan, and probably around Easter in English speaking territories.

At this point, we are already overdue for seeing the first Pokémon titles on new hardware. I don't see it being likely that the first mainline game on a new console would be a remake, so it just seems more plausible that it'd be an entirely new gen.

I gotta agree with this. But I am sure that this time we will see a remake.

Was playing W2 last night and was doing some serious grinding.
Its a serious pain in my ass when my electric Pokemon only has room for 1 electric attack and cant learn Thunder.
Or when my Lucario needs a stronger fighting type move, but cant since Psychic, Sword Dance, and Bone rush have been working very well so far.

2 more move slots would do nothing but add strategy. And maybe the move slots can only be activated during a certain level. Or maybe the extra slots are only available for certain Pokemon, such as weaker Pokemon or whatsoever. Anything would be better than our current formula imo. Would add nothing but more strategy.

What about variable move slots.

Crappy low tier pokemon get up to 8 slots. Maybe some godlike pokemon only have 2.

Maybe if you get a pokemon with a nature that's not useful for it, you get one extra slot to compensate.

What about that

I dunno that overdue is the right word, to be honest. This series hasn't had enough generations to justify it, in my opinion.

Better lock it down on the 6th as well if that tweet from before comes true.

That appearance is very probably unrelated. As before;

The revelation of Morimoto and Masuda being on the Jan. 6 episode of Pokémon Smash was revealed at the end of the last episode on December 22nd. In it, it confirmed that they are on to judge the 5th annual Pokémon Smash host tournament. They were both on it last year for it and the tournament took the entire show. This year, there are more hosts for Smash meaning it will take even more of the show so it is incredibly unlikely anything will be revealed on Smash

I seriously can't wait; i doubt it'll be an announcement for a mainline Pokemon game, but hopefully they've got something interesting cooked up (Pokemon Stadium 3 lgi)

Just because it wasn't called Pokemon Stadium 3, doesn't mean that wasn't what it was.

I want a reboot.

Black and White was about as close to a reboot as you're going to get, I imagine. No way are Game Freak going to throw out over fifteen years of design work to revert the "canon" to zero.

For gen 6 I want 150 new Pokémon, and no Pokémon from previous games to appear in the wild at any point in the game.

I dont mind if Pikachu makes a cameo in a battle with a trainer or something, but not in the wild please. I've caught that dude in like every Pokémon game ever, it's not fun anymore.

I mean an actual game. Like Ruby on Iphone and Android.

To what end and purpose?

For gen 6 I want 150 new Pokémon, and no Pokémon from previous games to appear in the wild at any point in the game.

I dont mind if Pikachu makes a cameo in a battle with a trainer or something, but not in the wild please. I've caught that dude in like every Pokémon game ever, it's not fun anymore.

We literally just did that. It was called Pokemon Black and White. You couldn't even catch Pikachu in the game.

upandaway

I would love it if this was the standard from now.. but only if GameFreak makes it an effort to create new standards instead of clone old ones, like the normal 3-stage bird, normal 2-stage rat thing, steel/electric machine, Pokeball-looking Pokemon, etc etc.

KNT-Zero

If they manage to make something remotely close to a game that is innovative, non-redundant and actually fun to play for hours (grinding is tedious, not fun), consider me satisfied.

Darryl

Banned
If they manage to make something remotely close to a game that is innovative, non-redundant and actually fun to play for hours (grinding is tedious, not fun), consider me satisfied.

The whole raising Pokemon thing is sort of a core aspect of the games and you can't really raise something without a bit of a grind. I suppose they could add an easy mode, though.
They'd have to restrict trading and battling on them, however, and that might cause more problems then it'd solve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom