• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In a hole in the ground, there lived a HOBBIT TRAILER

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really didn't like any of the LOTR films, is there any indication the material here will be superior? From what it sounds like it just seems like an after the fact idea.

After the fact idea? Its based on a book that was written before LotR.

Anyway, it seems to be more the adventure side - more like Fellowship. I'm not reading a thing as I want to go in fresh.

Sanjuro

After the fact idea? Its based on a book that was written before LotR.

Anyway, it seems to be more the adventure side - more like Fellowship. I'm not reading a thing as I want to go in fresh.

Well that is the point, I'm aware it was written prior. If they wanted to do things in order why not have just included it as the original arc to the films?

It just screams "There's gotta be a Batman Hobbit".

Well that is the point, I'm aware it was written prior. If they wanted to do things in order why not have just included it as the original arc to the films?

It just screams "There's gotta be a Batman Hobbit".

Because they are completely different stories with totally different narratives?

Evlar

Banned
That's good to know, but not really a reason for skipping order in the chronology.

There isn't a group of people whose purpose in life has been to get Middle Earth on screen, and who have carefully plotted out the order of release of each of his stories, and have selected to release LOTR first and The Hobbit second. If there were, you could argue with their methods.

In the real world we had a gazillion people with independent careers firing every which way, one of whom decided he wanted to do something really big and epic as his next film project (not because it was Tolkien, not because he was pursuing the goal of getting everything Tolkien on the screen) and the biggest thing he could find that might be available rights-wise was LOTR. So he pitched it. And a bank gave him some money to make it. And he pulled together all those other people (by offering them cash and other perks) to help him.

There's no intentionality in this ordering of the stories; it's just the way haphazard way the movie business works.

Sanjuro

No need to grab your pitchforks, Evlar seems to be on the right page. I was more curious on the reasoning behind the releases. From a business point, LoTR seemed like the sexier choice to begin with and they were correct.

Loxley

From Peter Jackson's fan-page on facebook (3 hours ago):

Hi everyone! This year is the tenth anniversary of the release of The Fellowship of the Ring, and we wanted to give the fans a Christmas treat ahead of the release of the two Hobbit movies in Dec 2012 and 2013. Stay tuned for more. Cheers!

I'm assuming he's referring to the trailer, I can't imagine what else they would need to show at the moment o_O

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
what are the odds that this movie turns small 2-3 page "events" into 20 minute fight scenes and ignores the fact that all of the middle earth books are about traveling just like the last 3 movies?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White

I'm assuming he's referring to the trailer, I can't imagine what else they would need to show at the moment o_O
The next production diary and maybe some promotional shots of the Elves in a similar vein to the dwarve shots.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
what are the odds that this movie turns small 2-3 page "events" into 20 minute fight scenes and ignores the fact that all of the middle earth books are about traveling just like the last 3 movies?

Realistically speaking? None of us would know because no one here has worked on the film. Maybe Dantes has...he is afterall, in my mind Martin Freeman.

Evlar

Banned

More of
the trolls
, perhaps? That neatly spans the two films.

Ithil

Oh absolutely. Though if you remember the Appendices to the LOTR extended edition, initially Jackson pitched LOTR to be just two movies. It was an exec that greenlit three movies and we are much the better for that decision.

On this case, I hope it was Jackson who wanted the two movies. The writers deeply respect the source material and I suspect that they didn't feel that they could tell the story well enough in one movie.

In most other cases I'm against splitting books into two films (Deathly Hallows and The Hobbit are okay to me, even though I think DH pt 2 was cack).

But he didn't pitch them as two films because he wanted to, he pitched them as two films because he thought that was the only way he could get them greenlighted. A fair few studios said it should be one film, before New Line asked for 3.

I know many people who haven't read the books ended up underwhelmed.. fine.

But are there any who have read the books who are disappointed in any way?

J2 Cool

I'll be interested to see the kind of support distributors give 48fps. It's not at all as marketable as 3D films to studios, but filmmakers will start to want it. I just can't imagine The Hobbit 48fps experience being a smooth, widely available release. I'm really interested to see one film at 48fps, just to settle my feelings on it. I think for 3D films it could be fantastic, but I don't think I'm going to care for it otherwise.

I'll be interested to see the kind of support distributors give 48fps. It's not at all as marketable as 3D films to studios, but filmmakers will start to want it. I just can't imagine The Hobbit 48fps experience being a smooth, widely available release. I'm really interested to see one film at 48fps, just to settle my feelings on it. I think for 3D films it could be fantastic, but I don't think I'm going to care for it otherwise.

Should apparently be a very easy software upgrade for digital cinemas. I know I'll be seeing The Hobbit in Liemax.

Ceebs

Am I alone in thinking that Fellowship was the only "great" LOTR movie? Something about the last 2 did absolutely nothing for me.

I am not sure if I am excited for this or not.

Am I alone in thinking that Fellowship was the only "great" LOTR movie? Something about the last 2 did absolutely nothing for me.

I am not sure if I am excited for this or not.

Return of the King has its flaws - like the green wave of doom cop out. But aside from those very few flaws, I have no problem calling it a great film. It features what might be my favourite scene in the whole trilogy. One very touching and poignant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w10p7oVuF98

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White

One of my closest friends, who is quite the Tolkien purist.

She is pretty vocal about her dislike of the trilogy, but it's not the omissions and alterations to the narrative that she dislikes. She envisaged something different in terms of the tone and atmosphere exhibited in the trilogy, She wanted something much lighter and more in the vein of The Neverending Story or Willow, rather than the more gritty, darker version that we eventually received. Her reaction to the trailer today; they've done it again!

It's always fun discussing (arguing) the trilogy and Tolkien in general with her.

One scene that really comes to mind for me is the scene in Two Towers where Aragorn gets dragged off a cliff. Didn't happen in the book and felt totally unnecessary for me. Didn't mind the lack of Tom Bombadil in Fellowship though.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Clear view of one of the trolls.

8cJiY.jpg

Very different from the cave troll in Fellowship and the trolls grinding away at the Black Gate in Return of the King.

jett

D-Member

No, no you're not. I was very disappointed by TTT, and felt nothing but general indifference towards RoTK.

Bregor

That's good to know, but not really a reason for skipping order in the chronology.

While I agree with the others that the order of release is ultimately not really important, I think some may have forgotten that the reason that things happened this way is because for a long time the rights to The Hobbit were in legal hell. One studio had the legal rights to make the film, but a totally different one had the rights to distribute it. For many years most people thought the issue was unresolvable, and that The Hobbit would never get made as a result. Fortunately, the studios eventually came to an agreement - which is why you now see three studio logos (New Line being owned by Warner Bros) at the start of the trailer.

So I'm pretty sure there's a 3D version of this trailer that will play in cinemas, considering that the filename for this teaser specifies that its the 2D version.

Edmond Dantès;33658457 said:
One of my closest friends, who is quite the Tolkien purist.

She is pretty vocal about her dislike of the trilogy, but it's not the omissions and alterations to the narrative that she dislikes. She envisaged something different in terms of the tone and atmosphere exhibited in the trilogy, She wanted something much lighter and more in the vein of The Neverending Story or Willow, rather than the more gritty, darker version that we eventually received. Her reaction to the trailer today; they've done it again!

It's always fun discussing (arguing) the trilogy and Tolkien in general with her.

I agree with her. I wanted something more like morrowind but instead we get something that looks like oblivion

Loxley

I'm just delighted that is at least one song in it. The near total omission of song and poetry from the Lord of the Rings adaption is something that still bothers me. Hopefully this is an indication that The Hobbit will be different.

Jackson said in one of the video diaries that the songs from The Hobbit will definitely be featured in the films.

bengraven

It's funny. I read The Hobbit aloud to my younger brother when we were kids. Sang all the songs and everything.

My version sounded a lot like this one. I suppose the rhythm and lyrics lend themselves to a slow, dirge-like tune. Just hearing it made me smile. :)

My songs were much more like chants. I pictured men with mugs raised high, drunk and dancing. Elves I pictured the same, only drunk on life.

The dirge-feeling is something more appropriate and I prefer.

bengraven

The song reminds me of the tone of Pippin's song from Return. I think that's why I got chills up my spine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WskRAEggqkQ

I'm just delighted that is at least one song in it. The near total omission of song and poetry from the Lord of the Rings adaption is something that still bothers me. Hopefully this is an indication that The Hobbit will be different.

I can almost promise that "chip the glasses, crack the plates" will play during the dishes gymnastics.

I can't fucking wait to hear their version, because to me, the only version is my Jim Carrey-lookalike first boss singing while I, age 15, slaved over a sink of pots.

I thought they had the right balance of singing and poetry, but then again, I never read the books.

But from the top of my head (extended editions..)

FotR:
- Gandalf singing as he comes into Bag End.
- Aragorn singing in the middle of the forest. The 'she died' scene.

RotK:

- Aragorn's oath song once he is crowned.

I'm sure there are more, but I can't remember them for the life of me.

Loxley

I thought they had the right balance of singing and poetry, but then again, I never read the books.

But from the top of my head (extended editions..)

FotR:
- Gandalf singing as he comes into Bag End.
- Aragorn singing in the middle of the forest. The 'she died' scene.

RotK:

- Aragorn's oath song once he is crowned.

I'm sure there are more, but I can't remember them for the life of me.

There's also Merry and Pippin's "Green Dragon" song from RotK.

Esiquio

My songs were much more like chants. I pictured men with mugs raised high, drunk and dancing. Elves I pictured the same, only drunk on life.

The dirge-feeling is something more appropriate and I prefer.

The songs never did it for me while reading them. I am tone-deaf and just not musically inclined in any way and just couldn't get it. Hearing the dwarf song just tells me how much I missed out in my vision of the Hobbit as I read it. I've seriously listened to that song like 30 times today.

Just saw this. It's basically a Skyrim trailer with that song over it.

bengraven

The songs never did it for me while reading them. I am tone-deaf and just not musically inclined in any way and just couldn't get it. Hearing the dwarf song just tells me how much I missed out in my vision of the Hobbit as I read it. I've seriously listened to that song like 30 times today.

Just saw this. It's basically a Skyrim trailer with that song over it.

Not bad, but they should have made the scenes match the words more carefully. The last shot should have been trees on fire.

But I do agree that the first time I read the books I couldn't really vibe with them as actual songs in my head. I read them like poems at first...

...then later skipped them.

I was a 17 year old with ADHD contemplating dropping out of school, so I am aware I was half-moron.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Edmond Dantès;33659466 said:
Clear view of one of the trolls.

8cJiY.jpg

Very different from the cave troll in Fellowship and the trolls grinding away at the Black Gate in Return of the King.

I think if you go through Fellowship of the Ring the movie when Sam and Aragon are looking for that plant to help Frodo there is a quick glimpse of the 3 trolls when they had been turned to stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom