• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In a hole in the ground, there lived a HOBBIT TRAILER

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure the Tolkien fans are happy to pay the money to see two movies just like the Twilight fans are happy to pay twice to see Breaking Dawn. I am sorry to draw a comparison to that piece of shit, but deep down, you know what this trend is: exploitative jerks in the industry realizing that you can almost double your cash intake by splitting a single book into two movies.
I don't believe that's the case here. The book is seriously packed with stuff, every chapter is practically a seperate adventure. Squishing it down into one movie wouldn't be doing anyone a favor.

HOLY! I can't think of any other trailer that made me so nostalgic and I haven't even read the book. I'm not sure about Martin Freeman as Bilbo yet but there's plenty of time for that casting to grow on me.

I watched the trailer now an unhealthy amount of times.

Cyan

Banned
I don't believe that's the case here. The book is seriously packed with stuff, every chapter is practically a seperate adventure. Squishing it down into one movie wouldn't be doing anyone a favor.

The cartoon movie cut barely anything (Beorn and the Arkenstone subplot, IIRC), and was a little over an hour long.

I mean, they had to add a bunch of stuff to pad it out to two movies. Surely they could've done it in one.

Pociask

One movie for The Hobbit isn't enough. Instead, we get two movies and get to see where the fuck Gandalf went for a sizable portion of the book.

Any Tolkien fan would be in love with the idea of that.

Remember, if we went solely on what is in The Hobbit, we'd have to cover:

Bag End and Bilbo leading a fulfilling, happy Hobbit life.
Gadalf and the dwarves showing up.
Explain the quest.
Troll fight scene.
The scenes in the forest (spiders)
Goblin Attacks (Glamdring and Orcrist found)
Elves and Wolves
The Elvenking scenario and their escape
Beorn
Smaug
Smaug attacking Laketown
The Battle of Five armies
Journey home.

I would not be satisfied with anything less than 3 1/2 hours for a theatrical release on those.

I recently read through the Hobbit again, and my exact thought was there's no way this could all fit in one movie. Some of the things on your list represent weeks. And that's not counting all the journeying in between!

So, happy about two movies? Yes. But I guess I'm in the minority in that the more I've reflected on the LOTR movies, the more I think they were tainted by Peter Jackson screwing up the story. Seeing characters who weren't even in the book show up in this trailer - uhg.

Frankly, the stuff that Gandalf was up to when he left probably deserves an entire movie of its own. Trying to shoe horn it into a complete story, split into two, could be disastrous. I really hope I am wrong about this, but I simply do not trust Jackson with the material.

bengraven

The original plan was to do the Hobbit, then make one more film that took place between the time of Hobbit and Fellowship. Basically a movie made up just of information from the appendixes.

This was long before people even know what Twilight was.

They decided to just make the Hobbit in two parts and put the appendix information into both films.

The cartoon movie cut barely anything (Beorn and the Arkenstone subplot, IIRC), and was a little over an hour long.

I mean, they had to add a bunch of stuff to pad it out to two movies. Surely they could've done it in one.
Oh OK. I've never seen the cartoon so I'll take your word for it.

I recently read through the Hobbit again, and my exact thought was there's no way this could all fit in one movie. Some of the things on your list represent weeks. And that's not counting all the journeying in between!

So, happy about two movies? Yes. But I guess I'm in the minority in that the more I've reflected on the LOTR movies, the more I think they were tainted by Peter Jackson screwing up the story. Seeing characters who weren't even in the book show up in this trailer - uhg.

Frankly, the stuff that Gandalf was up to when he left probably deserves an entire movie of its own. Trying to shoe horn it into a complete story, split into two, could be disastrous. I really hope I am wrong about this, but I simply do not trust Jackson with the material.
Yeah that stuff bothers me too. What makes the Hobbit great is the adventuring and travelling with the dwarves and of course the trouble Bilbo gets up to on his own. I couldn't care less what Gandolf does in the off time, it's better left a mystery I feel.

Cyan

Banned
The original plan was to do the Hobbit...

What? In one movie? Surely such a thing would be impossible!

Yeah that stuff bothers me too. What makes the Hobbit great is the adventuring and travelling with the dwarves and of course the trouble Bilbo gets up to on his own. I couldn't care less what Gandolf does in the off time, it's better left a mystery I feel.

Yeah, we're in agreement there. The Hobbit was very much about Bilbo's journey, not about big important events centering on wizards and elf queens and whatnot.

GCX

On this case, I hope it was Jackson who wanted the two movies. The writers deeply respect the source material and I suspect that they didn't feel that they could tell the story well enough in one movie.
At first they wanted to make 2 movies where The Hobbit would had covered the first one and the second had acted as a 'bridge movie' between The Hobbit and LOTR.

After they played with that idea for a while they realized it's not going to work so Jackson and co. decided to split The Hobbit book in two and add a little stuff from LOTR Appendices to the mix.

It this doesn't have singing then I don't want it.

They sing in the trailer!

I swear... there were some scenes in the trailer that make me think they cut Gandalf out of the Ring movies and popped him into The Hobbit. Kinda creepy how it feels like it could have been filmed at the same time.

Evlar

Banned
I've always preferred Ian McKellen's original suggestion of filming the Hobbit as a television series, with one episode (44 minutes or whatever) per chapter of the book, for a total of 19 episodes. If you read The Hobbit in that light you see that the book's structure is episodic, so the episodic nature of television fits very well, and there is certainly adequate material in each chapter to fill up a TV episode.

So that's some 14 hours of material... If anything, two movies are condensing the story pretty strictly to get down to 5 or 6 hours, not even counting the Necromancer stuff. There's a quite a lot of action in the Hobbit.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The Hobbit doesn't need to justify itself by what it brings to LotR. It is a complete story by itself, and a good one. Remember: The Hobbit is not a prequel... it is not a story designed to expand on LotR. It is an original story which LotR happens to be the sequel to.
Yep, publishers yearned for a sequel after the success of The Hobbit, so Tolkien ended up writing the LOTR. He would have been perfectly happy to continue on the work that he truly felt passionate about; The Lay of Leithian and the rest of The Silmarillion. If things had gone differently we could have had a five or six volume telling of the story in the Quenta Silmarillion, but in a more modern style. It could have been a complete narrative without the archaic prose used in the fragments put together by Christopher Tolkien.

I've always preferred Ian McKellen's original suggestion of filming the Hobbit as a television series, with one episode (44 minutes or whatever) per chapter of the book, for a total of 19 episodes. If you read The Hobbit in that light you see that the book's structure is episodic, so the episodic nature of television fits very well, and there is certainly adequate material in each chapter to fill up a TV episode.

So that's some 14 hours of material... If anything, two movies are condensing the story pretty strictly to get down to 5 or 6 hours, not even counting the Necromancer stuff. There's a quite a lot of action in the Hobbit.
Yeah I remember that, I think that would have been a great idea too. Oh well.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The only scene in the trailer that made me go 'ARGH' was the Galadriel/Gandalf scene.
I think it's an allusion to their friendship dating back to Valinor where Olorin would have walked among the Elves and even taught them from his vast stores of wisdom. His physical raiment would have been quite different though. I do wonder what form he took in Valinor.

bengraven

Edmond Dantès;33650145 said:
I think it's an allusion to their friendship dating back to Valinor where Olorin would have walked among the Elves and even taught them from his vast stores of wisdom. His physical raiment would have been quite different though. I do wonder what form he took in Valinor.

I actually loved that. It wasn't an allusion to romance, but to the deep friendship the two have had. Which would help explain the grief the elves suffer in Lothlorien when they hear that Gandalf has fallen.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Oh OK. I've never seen the cartoon so I'll take your word for it.

The cartoon is in the OP, the whole thing has been uploaded on Youtube, just follow the links in the section about the book and enjoy a slice of 1970's animation.

Nah, it's just you.

It's unnecessary, feels like a money grab, and means the actual story of the Hobbit will be padded out with unrelated stuff.

Yeah, I imagined all of your posts arguing about it.

I'll be enjoying two movies.....

dealwithit.gif

GCX

Regarding the 2 movie structure, I have faith that Jackson, Boyens and Walsh (and Del Toro too) managed to come up with a satisfying way of dividing the book in two. They spent a loooong time writing the script.

Interesting to see how much artistic liberties they took with Gandalf's adventures and how they tie it up with the main story arc. I'm not automatically against the idea of expanding some parts of the story.

Not feeling it.

The Hobbit movie (as opposed to the book, of course) has the problem of being a followup story with far lower stakes. To pull it off, they need a different tone, lighter, more fun than epic. But so far it feels too much like LOTR, but...less.

Kud Dukan

I disagree. I like that each dwarf has a distinctive look, not like the unimaginative Gimli clones that appear in the LOTR video games.

This x 1000

I was really worried early on that the dwarves would be virtually carbon copies of each other, and I'm really glad they tried to give each one a distinctive look. I actually think they look way better in motion than they did from those early reveal images.

JB1981

I wasn't impressed with the trailer.

I don't think it will play well to mainstream audiences. Sure the LOTR trilogy featured hobbits, elves and dwarves but they were popular because they were essentially war epics. This looks more small-scale and obscure (judging by the Dwarf hymn that plays over almost the entire trailer)

I believe this trailer also cements the theory that PJ went back and changed the color timing on FOTR BD to be more consistent with the look of this picture. I think the movie looks good but I question how much audiences will be interested in a movie seemingly dominated by dwarves and unknowns.

Snake

Only watched it the once last night. Wasn't particularly impressed by the trailer itself.

This morning I've watched it three times and counting (lol), and I'm a lot more excited. Perhaps my biggest problem is that the trailer mostly shows stuff referencing LoTR, whereas what I'm anticipating the most is that which belongs to The Hobbit alone.

I don't have the biggest demands, just a few core hopes:
- I want to generally be able to distinguish members of the Company by movie's end. Yes, Bilbo and Thorin should dominate, but I want the rest to be their own characters, not just The Dwarves.
- I want the "goblins" to be more developed than LoTR's average orcs.
- I want the fullest coverage of the book's events as possible, within reason (they have two movies, so this shouldn't be asking too much).
- I want these movies to stand apart from LoTR, to not rely too much on nostalgia and be their own thing.

All of these desires could totally happen, it just doesn't show it in the trailer. Of course, it's just the first trailer. And I appreciate when a movie has a lot to show, yet the trailer doesn't give it all away.

Goddamn this is going to be the worst two year wait.

ToxicAdam

Has it been established what the run-time of these movies will be? I mean if I would much rather the movie be two 110 minute movies than a massive 200 minute one.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Has it been established what the run-time of these movies will be? I mean if I would much rather the movie be two 110 minute movies than a massive 200 minute one.
2 hours 15 or 30 for the theatrical cuts, maybe close to 3 hours for the extended editions possibly. Nothing as long as the Return of the King or even the Fellowship of the Ring.

wtf why did no one tell this was put out early!!!! wtf! looks amazing. I read the books twice when I was a young teen and this looks to give service to us all

Edmond Dantès;33652929 said:
2 hours 15 or 30 for the theatrical cuts, maybe close to 3 hours for the extended editions possibly. Nothing as long as the Return of the King or even the Fellowship of the Ring.

Will we get extended editions this time? We got them last time because they shot so much and had a ton of unused stuff left over. I'd imagine with a budget of $500 million that they'd want to be a lot tighter and have scenes and script well planned out.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Will we get extended editions this time? We got them last time because they shot so much and had a ton of unused stuff left over. I'd imagine with a budget of $500 million that they'd want to be a lot tighter and have scenes and script well planned out.

pretty sure we ultimately got them last time because they saw an opportunity to sell the same movie twice within a year. So my guess is yes, and I'll likely buy both versions.

Loxley

I've watched the trailer at least a dozen times now and I still can't get over how beautiful it looks, the colors in particular are spectacular.

Kud Dukan

I've watched the trailer at least a dozen times now and I still can't get over how beautiful it looks, the colors in particular are spectacular.

Yeah, I really love the coloring. I know some have complained about it, but I think it looks beautiful. Just the right mix (IMO) of looking realistic, but having a sort of "otherworldly" quality to it.

Sanjuro

I really didn't like any of the LOTR films, is there any indication the material here will be superior? From what it sounds like it just seems like an after the fact idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom