• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In a hole in the ground, there lived a HOBBIT TRAILER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only person who, among the things I'm most excited for, is seeing modern day CGI for Gollum? People made a huge deal about him in LOTR but looking back in those CG threads that pop up...he hasn't held up too well

Branduil

I think if you go through Fellowship of the Ring the movie when Sam and Aragon are looking for that plant to help Frodo there is a quick glimpse of the 3 trolls when they had been turned to stone.

I don't think they will hold to those designs, since they were conceived long before they even thought about making a Hobbit movie.

Am I the only person who, among the things I'm most excited for, is seeing modern day CGI for Gollum? People made a huge deal about him in LOTR but looking back in those CG threads that pop up...he hasn't held up too well

He will look extremely good now with the added facial performance capture system from Avatar being used.

Vega

Really? I still think Gollum looks good. The wargs though, especially in Two Towers, look horrendous. Although, they looked horrible even when the movie first came out.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Things I'm excited for in this movie:

Goblin-Town

Things I'm excited for in the second movie:

Mirkwood
Wood elves
Lake-Town
Lonely Mountain
Smaug
Battle of the Five Armies

hoos30

I really didn't like any of the LOTR films, is there any indication the material here will be superior? From what it sounds like it just seems like an after the fact idea.

There is absolutely no hope for you. The story in "The Hobbit" is far, far inferior to LOTR (no, it's not just different, it is horrible). So if you didn't like LOTR, don't even waste your time checking in this thread.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
hoos30 said:
The story in "The Hobbit" is far, far inferior to LOTR (no, it's not just different, it is horrible).
Objectively speaking LOTR was only 50% superior to Hobbit :p
http://www.ranker.com/list/best-selling-books-of-all-time/jeff419

On a more serious note though - I disagree. Many people find their favorite bits of LOTR to be the adventure chapters (book or movies) and Hobbit is focused on that aspect alone, with none of the "world saving" BS to get in the way. Hobbit's charm is in fact - that while the story is much narrower in scope, the world around it warrants re-reading it countless times. While LOTR still favours re-reading, I felt some of the magic was lost in its grander ambitions.

And no Tom Bombadil has to count for something as well :p

mr2xxx

Banned
Will all the theaters support 48 fps 3d or will you need to go to imax or theaters with the appropriate hardware?

Will all the theaters support 48 fps 3d or will you need to go to imax or theaters with the appropriate hardware?

By next year one would assume all the LieMAX's (and hopefully other digital screens) will be ready for 48fps 3D. All the true IMAX theatres will probably take longer and are expecting a big upgrade in 2013.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
I really didn't like any of the LOTR films, is there any indication the material here will be superior? From what it sounds like it just seems like an after the fact idea.

You are like the gollum of gaf. Yours..is a sad story :(

There is absolutely no hope for you. The story in "The Hobbit" is far, far inferior to LOTR (no, it's not just different, it is horrible). So if you didn't like LOTR, don't even waste your time checking in this thread.

Worst post I've read on GAF since a long time.

Kraftwerk

iWD57I2kP7Zpg.gif

npm0925

I really liked the incorporation of the somber dwarven song into the trailer. It gets the dwarves out of the comic relief role filled by Gimli in the LoTR films and closer to what Tolkien envisioned them as.

LCfiner

I really liked the incorporation of the somber dwarven song into the trailer. It gets the dwarves out of the comic relief role filled by Gimli in the LoTR films and closer to what Tolkien envisioned them as.

I gotta agree here. I was talking with a friend of mine before the trailer came out and we expected/ feared that all the dwarves would just be comic relief based on Gimli's portrayal plus the fact that they get their asses saved by Bilbo so many times.

npm0925

I just read that Smaug will be voice-acted and motion-captured by the actor who portrays Sherlock Holmes on the BBC series of the same name. I've never seen the show. Is this guy as awesome as Serkas?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I just read that Smaug will be voice-acted and motion-captured by the actor who portrays Sherlock Holmes on the BBC series of the same name. I've never seen the show. Is this guy as awesome as Serkas?
He's a thoroughly talented actor better known for his work in period tv series and films. He's also playing the Necromancer. He actually played another monster recently in the 2011 National Theatre Live, he was Frankenstein and the creature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FEakgJj-uA

ckohler

Edmond Dantès;33659466 said:
Clear view of one of the trolls.

8cJiY.jpg

Very different from the cave troll in Fellowship and the trolls grinding away at the Black Gate in Return of the King.

Here's how the stone trolls appeared in Fellowship of the Ring. This is a statuette replica of the full sized trolls that appeared on the set during filming.

1651.jpg

Crisco

Banned

I disagree, having just rewatched the extended trilogy on Blu-ray, Gollum has held up amazingly well. There were some scenes, even 10 years ago, where he stuck out like a sore thumb due the composition of that particular shot, but it's no worse today. I mean, he wasn't a computer drawn model. Like all the CGI characters in the movie, they made a full size physical model with crazy amounts of detail that was scanned into the computer at a super high resolution. Most of the animation was mocapped from Serkis. It's pretty future proof stuff. This isn't Jar Jar Binks.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
This movie is going to be boring as shit compared to everything that went down in the LOTR movies.
There are more than enough key events to keep people with no preconceptions about the film entertained and enthralled. The pacing of The Hobbit novel is fantastic once Bilbo's journey begins and it's pretty much like that until the finale. If Peter and co can translate that kind of pacing into the two films, there'll be nothing to worry about.

Also, technically everything that comes after the events of the Quenta Silmarillion is a step down in scale and grandioseness, the LOTR's is a mere chapter at the end of far larger narrative that spans the ages of the world.

DAT song. goddamn........Then the orchestra comes in. After seeing the trailers for this, Prometheus, and TDKR, I feel like every other trailer I've seen this year was complete shit.

Really? I still think Gollum looks good. The wargs though, especially in Two Towers, look horrendous. Although, they looked horrible even when the movie first came out.

That whole action sequence has probably aged the worst. Looks pretty bad at this point and wasn't particularly shot well to begin with. Not to mention, the movie is SLOOOW up until that point (Extended Edition). Honestly I thought the Two Towers aged the worst. Fellowship is still the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom