• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In a hole in the ground, there lived a HOBBIT TRAILER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
despite your list, the hobbit is undeniably lighthearted. it's a violent world, but bilbo takes a backseat through all of it. you see the world through a hobbit's eyes, which is basically when can i eat and/or sleep. and it is a children's book seeing as how tolkein did write it for his children.

when it comes to war, prominent death and bitter ends, that all occurs in one battle at the end. beforehand, bilbo took a ride in a barrel.

as for racism, well, that's tolkien for ya

foul and scary creatures... you're not trying to pad that list, right? ;)

tolkien's stories have very little melodrama... one could even say that it's lacking in even drama. the LOTR movies are ridiculous with its melodrama, but since the book trilogy is an epic, i'll pretend to forgive it. the hobbit is not an epic, it's a story and it shouldn't even last three hours. and i can verify that galadriel doesn't lovingly brush away gandalf's hair.
That can be said for The Hobbit and maybe LOTR, but certainly not the Quenta Silmarillion, where the order of the day is full on angst and melancholia.

jett

D-Member
no it's not. It's running at 24fps. You need a 48fps projector to get the end result. HOWEVER, the pulldown tactics to reach 24fps from 48fps alter the general look of the film. And, well, it looks like shit.

Actually, it looks a lot like the motion smoothing effect that is oh-so popular with recent TVs.

Insane Jackass

Edmond Dantès;33641141 said:
That can be said for The Hobbit and maybe LOTR, but certainly not the Quenta Silmarillion, where the order of the day is full on angst and melancholia.

i haven't read silmarillion... in fact, i can't imagine a more horrible reading experience lol

JB1981

Are Dwarves really this silly in the novel? Gimli provided comic relief in LOTR but the films implied that Dwarven race was selfish, isolationist and self-serious. These guys look like the 9 stooges

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Are Dwarves really this silly in the novel? Gimli provided comic relief in LOTR but the films implied that Dwarven race was selfish, isolationist and self-serious. These guys look like the 9 stooges
Some are quite silly, Bombur for example, but others like Balin and Thorin maintain a level of seriousness throughout the narrative.

Sibylus

Banned
despite your list, the hobbit is undeniably lighthearted. it's a violent world, but bilbo takes a backseat through all of it. you see the world through a hobbit's eyes, which is basically when can i eat and/or sleep. and it is a children's book seeing as how tolkein did write it for his children.

when it comes to war, prominent death and bitter ends, that all occurs in one battle at the end. beforehand, bilbo took a ride in a barrel.

as for racism, well, that's tolkien for ya

foul and scary creatures... you're not trying to pad that list, right? ;)

tolkien's stories have very little melodrama... one could even say that it's lacking in even drama. the LOTR movies are ridiculous with its melodrama, but since the book trilogy is an epic, i'll pretend to forgive it. the hobbit is not an epic, it's a story and it shouldn't even last three hours. and i can verify that galadriel doesn't lovingly brush away gandalf's hair.
It's also undeniably bloody and grim. The battle you refer to is certainly an example, but it isn't the only one worth mentioning. Summing up the seriousness of the book beforehand as a barrel ride is misrepresentation, plain and simple. And the monsters are hardly padding (
Unless ravenous wolves, goblins, and giant spiders who pose a serious threat to the protagonists [the goblins in particular turn out to be lethal] are common fixtures of your average lighthearted children's story
).

i haven't read silmarillion... in fact, i can't imagine a more horrible reading experience lol
Strike two, sir! STRIKE TWO.

Edmond Dantès;33641205 said:
Once you get the past slightly archaic prose it really does pick up and ends up being a stupendous journey into the First Age of Arda.

i've seen it described as this sort of bible of middle-earth. by the way you described it earlier, it doesn't seem as cut and dry as i imagined. i have virtually no interest in the lore of middle-earth, but if it's a good story...

bud

oh man, i'm so hyped.

far over the misty mountains cold,
to dungeons deep and caverns old,
the pines were roaring on the height,
the winds were mourning in the night,
the fire was red, it flaming spread,
the trees like torches blazed with light.

OH MY GOD. i had goosebumps during that part.

2012 is looking really awesome.

bud

My god, those colors are horrible. Everything looks so fake! The saturation is way to high, hope they will/can change that :(

i do kind of agree with this. it was quite apparent when gandalf was introducing thorin's men.

Monocle

I think it looks cheap, like a home video, and makes the whole thing look like a bad play with costumed actors.

To be honest, even if you take out the framerate thing, the special effects in the trailer are pretty... weird/cheap looking compared to the original trilogy.
Could you whine a little bit more? That would be helpful.

It's also undeniably bloody and grim. The battle you refer to is certainly an example, but it isn't the only one worth mentioning. Summing up the seriousness of the book beforehand as a barrel ride is misrepresentation, plain and simple. And the monsters are hardly padding (
Unless ravenous wolves, goblins, and giant spiders who pose a serious threat to the protagonists [the goblins in particular turn out to be lethal] are common fixtures of your average lighthearted children's story
).

Strike two, sir! STRIKE TWO.

lol, i wonder if my other post about middle-earth lore is strike three...

i forgot about the other battle, it's been years since i've read it. while there is dark stuff in the hobbit, it doesn't comprise the whole book, and not nearly as much as LOTR. allowing children to see how harsh reality can be is a necessary step in growing up.

scary creatures are a children's story staple, especially since adults hardly find them frightening. consider another fantasy favorite, his dark materials. or how about goosebumps. or hell, let's go back real far and talk about fairy tales. hansel and gretel? she was going to fucking eat them!

i guess we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. i don't like the direction this movie seems to be going, which isn't a surprise, since i didn't like the LOTR movies either.

EliCash

I always preferred The Hobbit to LOTR, Jackson seems to have really captured the more light-hearted sense of adventure that The Hobbit offered.

NekoFever

I'll be interested to see what they do when they put the movie out on Blu-ray, since the format only supports 1080p at 24Hz. It supports 50/60Hz at 720p/1080i but there's no support for 48Hz at all as far as I can see in the standards.

LuchaShaq

Banned
The hobbit trailer reinforced my negative opinion about the LOTR universe/movies. Usually get flamed for it but seems so uninteresting.

The books/movies always seemed to be children's stories that just happened to be super popular because it also is exciting for most of nerd culture.

ToxicAdam

The books/movies always seemed to be children's stories that just happened to be super popular because it also is exciting for most of nerd culture.

The Hobbit was a children's story and LOTR was meant for teens/young adults.

More than the stories themselves, the legacy of the books is what is sets it aside. It established the template for fiction/fantasy aimed at teens and created an entire genre that influenced the works of millions of other writers, movie makers and game creators. You can draw a direct line from the RPG's you play today all the way back to Tolkien's work.

More than the stories themselves, the legacy of the books is what is sets it aside. It established the template for fiction/fantasy aimed at teens and created an entire genre that influenced the works of millions of other writers, movie makers and game creators. You can draw a direct line from the RPG's you play today all the way back to Tolkien's work.

What he said.

rithvikgv

Neo Member
My god, those colors are horrible. Everything looks so fake! The saturation is way to high, hope they will/can change that :(
Peter Jackson explicitly stated in one of the video diaries that it was deliberate — a decision taken with the effect 3D has on colours in mind.

Sharp

This. You'll be hard-pressed to find fantasy written since LOTR came out that wasn't influenced by Tolkien.

bengraven

They should release the single of the dwarves singing a year early.

And as an amateur Tolkien scholar, I'm a bit ashamed of not knowing the name of the song. Then again, until recently I just wasn't into reading songs in novels.

I don't remember Galadriel being in the Hobbit at all, am I forgetting something?

Anyway trailer was OK. Hopefully there will be some proper new music in the movie and not just LOTR rehashes.

Number45

I don't remember Galadriel being in the Hobbit at all, am I forgetting something?
Yeah I asked the same earlier, seems like they're adding some characters (check the IMDB cast list, there are quite a few) from the trilogy. I'm assuming not in any major capacity though.

my god that IQ. That detail, smoothess, vibrance, dat everything.

On the down side : my god these panoramic scenes... Waaaay to much twitling with color corrections on post process Pete.

Kud Dukan

Yeah I asked the same earlier, seems like they're adding some characters (check the IMDB cast list, there are quite a few) from the trilogy. I'm assuming not in any major capacity though.

They are basically expanding a certain part of the Hobbit that was glossed over in the book. I'll spoiler tag it, even though I'm not going into too much detail:
Gandalf disappears several times during the Hobbit, and goes off on his own thing. The films will be detailing where he was going, and what was happening. That's where characters like Galadriel and Saruman come into play. The exact details of those parts of the story Jackson and the writers will have to create on their own, but Tolkien did give a general outline on what was happening in his other works.

They are basically expanding a certain part of the Hobbit that was glossed over in the book. I'll spoiler tag it, even though I'm not going into too much detail:
Gandalf disappears several times during the Hobbit, and goes off on his own thing. The films will be detailing where he was going, and what was happening. That's where characters like Galadriel and Saruman come into play. The exact details of those parts of the story Jackson and the writers will have to create on their own, but Tolkien did give a general outline on what was happening in his other works.
Oh man I wish he wasn't doing that. There's so much stuff in the Hobbit that I'm sure is going to have to get cut out, without him having to add in filler like this. Half the fun of the Hobbit is the shit they get into when Gandalfs gone and not knowing what he's doing.

Grisby

Oh man I wish he wasn't doing that. There's so much stuff in the Hobbit that I'm sure is going to have to get cut out, without him having to add in filler like this. Half the fun of the Hobbit is the shit they get into when Gandalfs gone and not knowing what he's doing.
Just wait for the 4 hour expanded edition bro.

Trailer looked good but it kinda reminded me how unnecessary this whole movie is on many levels coming after the trilogy. The fact that Golem and the ring is the "reveal" of this trailer says a lot. I'm kinda done with those two things, they've been fully fleshed, already had plenty of film-time and fully realized, and I suppose I'm more or less done with the series. Didn't realize it before watching the trailer.

Kud Dukan

I'd have been concerned if it was going to be a single film, but I think over two films they should be able to fit most of it in without cutting too much. I hope at least lol.

Ithil

There are two full films, if anything they'll need that "filler" to make up the running time.

Six hours for a 250 page book.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Trailer looked good but it kinda reminded me how unnecessary this whole movie is on many levels coming after the trilogy. The fact that Golem and the ring is the "reveal" of this trailer says a lot. I'm kinda done with those two things, they've been fully fleshed, already had plenty of film-time and fully realized, and I suppose I'm more or less done with the series. Didn't realize it before watching the trailer.

Well, considering that portion of the book is just a fraction of what happens, I think you'll be just fine. It's just a trailer piece used to connect the films.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios

Both of those things are a pretty small part of the story.. I think people jump the gun way too much when it comes to trailers.. Especially teaser trailers a full year out :p

GCX

Gullum and the ring are pretty small part of the book but it's a simple way of showing the audience how the movie relates to LOTR in a short trailer.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon

Hey Peter Jackson, Mr. B Natural is "kinda done" with these things already. Please cancel the movie!

I think it looks cheap, like a home video, and makes the whole thing look like a bad play with costumed actors.

To be honest, even if you take out the framerate thing, the special effects in the trailer are pretty... weird/cheap looking compared to the original trilogy.

I have to agree, it's like watching a play on stage rather than a "real" place. I don't know if it's because of the colors or makeup or camera angles or lighting or all in conjunction but it just doesn't look right to me.

I'd have been concerned if it was going to be a single film, but I think over two films they should be able to fit most of it in without cutting too much. I hope at least lol.

There are two full films, if anything they'll need that "filler" to make up the running time.

Six hours for a 250 page book.
Oh OK. That's good to hear. Surprised they don't say 'Part 1' or anything during the trailer, or if they did I didn't notice it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom