• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In-depth review of the Samsung KS 8000

Footos22

How do you find the ku6400 overall?
It's the set I keep coming back to as it's within my price range and max size I can have. I'm looking at the 40". I was intrigued by the firmware update with hdr+ in game mode but is it pretty poor?

I'm kind of limited on what to get with the screen size, it will be on a pc desk sat acouple of feet away if that so anything bigger would fry my brain but I want a TV with all the bells and whistles or there's no point upgrading my current Sony set.

I bought this last night well the 6500 curved. The upgrade from my Sony w8 is crazy. Netflix and youtube 4k are really pretty amazing. Was expecting nothing really. The smart functions are much better then on the Sony too. Sony feels sluggish. Hdr+ just seems to dim everything don't think it's really meant for that. I tried it on daredevil series 2 and it actually looked better not activating it. And putting dynamic contrast up. Will try again when my one s gets delivered with forza next week. I know it's not 10bit compliant but still ticks xbox one s boxes apparantly.

10bit only seems to be on flagship models atm and they are like 400 pound more then what I paid.

Input lag is minimal. Can't tell difference from my w8 in game mode. But not in game mode chucks it up to 100 +. And can easily feel difference.

Pretty solid midrange TV overall. Watched 4k horizon demo on youtube and pretty much sold a ps4 pro to me.

Youtube 4k looks crazy good. Excuse the wife's annoying hearts.

ojrgSbR.jpg

harz-marz

I think I may not have enabled dd5.1 on the tv to pass through. But can't check right now as my shares aren't setup via the tv app properly. In any case I'm playing everything media files wise through the Shield now. So ARC wont get used now anyway. The Nvidia Shield TV complements this tv so well. It plays everything you throw at it a even 4K 60fps HDR stuff.

Nice, just got this tv and have the shield already. Other than Netflix, what else do you recommend?

Josh378

Wondering if I should buy this TV the next time its on sale or should I wait for the 2017 version for a chance it could become a FALD build TV? Or Just wait for OLED to fix issues with their issues with gaming.

Nice, just got this tv and have the shield already. Other than Netflix, what else do you recommend?

Firstly I'd get the Kodi add on for Shield TV. There's lots of skins and customisability for it once you set it up. Loads of shortcuts and metadata etc you can set it with. Internet has loads of info on it.

I like Plex but I don't trust it when it comes to playing files as it may be transcoding them impacting the quality, so stick with Kodi. It has played everything so far even HDR stuff on my network share from upstairs, wired is recommended for best bandwidth.

UrbanRats

Wondering if I should buy this TV the next time its on sale or should I wait for the 2017 version for a chance it could become a FALD build TV? Or Just wait for OLED to fix issues with their issues with gaming.
Or wait for QLED to fix the problems with OLED!

Josh378

Or wait for QLED to fix the problems with OLED!

Yeah a lot of article stay at qled will not be at work supposed to be in the next 5 years. I'm not waiting 5 years for Samsung to get it right. So I mean if that's what we're waiting on that you might as well get it now.

GazzaGSi

I bought this last night well the 6500 curved. The upgrade from my Sony w8 is crazy. Netflix and youtube 4k are really pretty amazing. Was expecting nothing really. The smart functions are much better then on the Sony too. Sony feels sluggish. Hdr+ just seems to dim everything don't think it's really meant for that. I tried it on daredevil series 2 and it actually looked better not activating it. And putting dynamic contrast up. Will try again when my one s gets delivered with forza next week. I know it's not 10bit compliant but still ticks xbox one s boxes apparantly.

10bit only seems to be on flagship models atm and they are like 400 pound more then what I paid.

Input lag is minimal. Can't tell difference from my w8 in game mode. But not in game mode chucks it up to 100 +. And can easily feel difference.

Pretty solid midrange TV overall. Watched 4k horizon demo on youtube and pretty much sold a ps4 pro to me.

Fantastic, thanks for your impressions of it so far.
I'll be upgrading from a Sony 32W706 http://www.whathifi.com/sony/kdl-32w706b/review

Have you noticed any problems with judder?
I'm not sure if this is the same panel (KU6300 and think its the US model)
http://uk.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku6300 but they score it low due to the judder in movies but excelled in video game performance.

Thanks again.

Edited: Just found this, the KU7000 is the KU6400 in the UK and its game performance and PC monitor usage rated well: http://uk.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku7000 Think I'll go for it.

Syrus

Banned

You cant beat this TV for the price. Its the best by far outside FALD model 9800 or OLED.

With backlighting this thing has become even better with blacks. Not perfevt but damn close to oled

You cant beat this TV for the price. Its the best by far outside FALD model 9800 or OLED.

With backlighting this thing has become even better with blacks. Not perfevt but damn close to oled

My memory may not be perfect on the matter, but TV manufacturers have been known to lapse on some qualities year to year in the pursuit of improving upon features, design, or some other nonsense. There is no guarantee that next year you will be able to get a FALD at all for a reasonable price or with decent input lag. Tv manufacturers instead may shift focus to Edge lit for the lower price range and oled for the higher and may get rid of FALD all together.

Long story short, it's tough to predict what next year's tvs will be.

harz-marz

I have the UK variant of this, the KS8000. On Netflix I notice that the blacks are very pixelated, is this just the norm for a streaming service?

Waiting on my Xbox One so haven't been able to try anything else.

Sanctuary

I have the UK variant of this, the KS8000. On Netflix I notice that the blacks are very pixelated, is this just the norm for a streaming service?

Waiting on my Xbox One so haven't been able to try anything else.

If you aren't talking about Netflix 4K content, then it's normal. It's just streaming compressed 1080p content, which is going to show artifacts during any scene with a lot of black on a 4K screen.

harz-marz

If you aren't talking about Netflix 4K content, then it's normal. It's just streaming compressed 1080p content, which is going to show artifacts during any scene with a lot of black on a 4K screen.

It is Narcos, which is meant to be 4k. How do I know what content is playing at 4k on Netflix?

I am using the Netflix app on the Nvidia Shield TV

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
How do you find the ku6400 overall?
It's the set I keep coming back to as it's within my price range and max size I can have. I'm looking at the 40".
I have the uncurved ku6300 and I love it. Super affordable (I got the 65' for 1270€).

Shortcomings:
- no 10bit colors
- no 24fps = some judder (though I totally got rid of it watching movies with a clever use of MPC BE + MAD VR https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/233290-high-quality-video-playback-on-windows/)

Hightlights:
- best value. 4K, 4:4:4, HDR support (with aforementionned color limitation)
- lag is minimal (less than 20ms)

EvB

I have the uncurved ku6300 and I love it. Super affordable (I got the 65' for 1270€).

Shortcomings:
- no 10bit colors
- no 24fps = some judder (though I totally got rid of it watching movies with a clever use of MPC BE + MAD VR https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/233290-high-quality-video-playback-on-windows/)

Hightlights:

Saying it has HDR when it neither displays 10bit colour nor comes anywhere close to the accepted standards for peak brightness is massively misleading.
Especially as this set has no form of local dimming whatsoever. By no stretch of the imagination should this be considered an HDR TV

Nah, wait for the 2018 version. And when you get to 2018, wait for the 2019 one. Etc etc...

Morts

So the KS8000 and the Sony 850D are both $1800 at Best Buy for 65". Does one have any clear benefits over the other or is it down to preference?

Or I could spend $450 to fix my 6 year old 1080p LG.

Nivane

So the KS8000 and the Sony 850D are both $1800 at Best Buy for 65". Does one have any clear benefits over the other or is it down to preference?

New TV time.

Pretty much down to preference based upon what you want for features and performance. Check rtings.com for reviews on both.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Saying it has HDR when it neither displays 10bit colour nor comes anywhere close to the accepted standards for peak brightness is massively misleading.
Especially as this set has no form of local dimming whatsoever. By no stretch of the imagination should this be considered an HDR TV
Well I can clearly see HDR in action in relation to contrast/brightness, it remains spectacular. I also said twice it did not bring the 10bit color.

I just got a 65inch KS8000 uk model so KS9000 for you Americans.

These are Youtube 4k captures.

Will soon try to run PC games and try Super Mario Galaxy and Dolphin Emulator 4k stuff, but one thing that I gotta say, 1080p upscaled to 4k looks bloody amazing on this TV. The OS is really good slick and fast, uses a Smart remote, you can pair it so you can use it to control other devices like Amazon Fire and you can speak to it too, Volume 100!
WOW...

that's really amazing...

Morts

New TV time.

Pretty much down to preference based upon what you want for features and performance. Check rtings.com for reviews on both.

According to rtings.com the only thing the Sony 850D has over the KS8000 is a wider viewing angle. I'll probably pull the trigger, it's just annoying that a comparable TV will probably be half the price next year (or 15% off in November). And now I'm going to be tempted to buy a 4k receiver, a 4k blu ray player, a PS4Pro...

I really want to pull the trigger on this TV between now and PS4 Pro release date, but I am worried that it will be on a Black Friday sale a few weeks later.

Anyone else in this predicament as well?

Morts

I really want to pull the trigger on this TV between now and PS4 Pro release date, but I am worried that it will be on a Black Friday sale a few weeks later.

Anyone else in this predicament as well?

It won't get you to November, but at Best Buy if this price drops during the return period they'll refund you the difference.

GazzaGSi

Shortcomings:
- no 10bit colors

Hightlights:

Thanks for the info. I think this could be the one as the input lag is a heck of a lot better than the Hisense I'd been considering.

I just want to chime in and say that I absolutely love my 55KS8000.

Brightness is extremely impressive, native contrast ratio is pretty much the best in class of this display tech, input lag is super low, and 4K/HDR looks phenomenal. The Revenant on 4k UHD blu-ray is trult a sight to behold.

It's a fantastic set and I have no regrets. I can't wait to play some 4k HDR games on it.

MazeHaze

Banned

I owned the 850d for about 3 weeks, ended up returning it for the KS8000.

The 850d has a great picture, but the thing I couldn't get past is the black levels. The ks8000 has a little edge bleed here and there (black bars during hdr content can get a little greyish) but the 850d has those greyish blacks on the entire screen at all times. As a result, dark scenes in both sdr and hdr content look really washed out and detail is lost. KS8000 is a night and day difference in this regard.

I will say the sony has better motion handling, and the colors might be a bit more natural, but I think the overall superior picture quality and contrast of the KS is a major advnatage. If the sony was 500 dollars cheaper, then it might be in consideration, but I tried to tweak that thing for a couple of weeks to avoid the hassle of returning it, and I found that I was never satisfied with the picture quality.

Kyne

Got this for a couple hundred dollars off this past weekend. Will be delivered next week, but I won't be able to set it up until I move mid Oct.

PSPRO and PSVR are both also preordered.

I'm in all in boyz.

rip wallet.
why is Civil War not in 4K?

Got this for a couple hundred dollars off this past weekend. Will be delivered next week, but I won't be able to set it up until I move mid Oct.

PSPRO and PSVR are both also preordered.

I'm in all in boyz.

why is Civil War not in 4K?

Disney has yet to jump on board the 4K train. They've always been notoriously slow with adopting new formats. They did the same with DVD and blu-ray.

harz-marz

I just want to chime in and say that I absolutely love my 55KS8000.

Brightness is extremely impressive, native contrast ratio is pretty much the best you'll in class of this display tech, input lag is super low, and 4K/HDR looks phenomenal. The Revenant on 4k UHD blu-ray is trult a sight to behold.

It's a fantastic set and I have no regrets. I can't wait to play some 4k HDR games on it.

I will agree, The Revenant looks stunning. Silly question but how do I know the film is displaying in HDR? I can see the resolution in the info pane but is there anything to say HDR is on? Using an Xbox One S.

jeffram

So my TV was supposed to arrive today, but I got a call from the delivery company saying the truck the TV was in was in an accident, and the truck was not operational. They said the TV would come tomorrow.

I was a bit concerned that the TV may be compromised, so I reached out to the online retailer to get their take on my next steps if I felt there was something wrong with it.

They said: "I am very sorry to hear of the accident, and appreciate the warning. Please bring the television into your home as I will require pictures of the damage to start a claim with [Shipping company]. Once I have initiated the claim, I will also schedule another shipment. Alternatively, if you do not want another TV shipped to you, I would be able to refund your order. Once the claim is finalized you will be able to dispose of the damaged TV.

...interesting.

ZaQ_Q

Neo Member
They said: "I am very sorry to hear of the accident, and appreciate the warning. Please bring the television into your home as I will require pictures of the damage to start a claim with [Shipping company]. Once I have initiated the claim, I will also schedule another shipment. Alternatively, if you do not want another TV shipped to you, I would be able to refund your order. Once the claim is finalized you will be able to dispose of the damaged TV.

...interesting.

I imagine the keeping of the "damaged TV" would also require documentation of its damage. If not, great!

Rbk_3

Took some pics of my new setup with the 65" KS8000. Upgraded the speakers and receiver to Q Acoustics 2050i 5.1 and the reciever is a Denon AVR-4200w. These phone pics really don't do the picture justice and the HDR really is spectacular. I would say it is more impressive than 4K. But seeing them both on a video at 60fps just blows you away.

ap6hugz.jpg

WxweHv7.jpg

Mss7HzR.jpg

This picture confuses me, the KS8000 doesn't have Google cast does it?

axb2013

I'm absolutely in love with my set (65" KS8000, US model #)

I use it exclusively as a PC monitor in the living room. I needed a registry tweak to ensure that the full RGB range is applied for all output to the display and that took care of displaying desktop usage properly.

Next step was getting the most out of media content, movies & TV shows. It wasn't quite right until I installed mpc-hc + madvr and a few hours of tweaking. Now non 4k content upscaling quality is on par with TV's processing (PC mode locks you out of settings that can be adjusted for other inputs) without having to change settings each time for gaming, typical desktop usage and movies.

Light bleed and dimming issues? Yes but don't let videophile snobs exaggerate too much.
Daylight and ambient lighting along with tweaking settings took care of it for me.
If you are unwilling/unable to work on it then by all means, wait for an OLED to drop into lower price ranges. It's difficult to quantify it but this set with FALD would perform within 3% of OLED and the pricing reflects that, the 9800 is priced just like an OLED.

As far as input lag is concerned, I've had no issues. FPS games are the best proving ground, I've had no issues playing BF4, same K/D ratio as on my 1440p monitor. There will always be a crowd that uses short cables, plays 640x480 at low settings on a $5000 PC with a CRT monitor and I wouldn't even want to compete with them.

Again, if you want all the issues taken care of before you even take it out of the box, grab a FALD unit or an OLED.

If you are looking for a 40"-50" display and gaming is a major purchase factor, I would take a look at monitors first. Just seeing a display port on a unit gives me peace of mind in terms of full chroma subsampling and input. Beyond that size range, you pretty much have to look at TV's and $1000 seems to be the entry bar right now. I would love to be proven wrong but none of the cheaper 50"+ sets check all the relevant boxes for me atm.

Tntnico

Hi there !

Very disapointed with my UE55KS7000 (UN55KS8000) for now. When I tried Forza Horizon 3 the TV told "HDR is playing", everything seems to have a grey filter on it :(

On the TV :
- UHD Color is On
- Other settings are those recommanded on the web

On the console :
- 4K and HDR are on
- In game : HDR brightness is ~45%

I also tried Netflix. When I launch it on the Xbox One S, it says "HDR is playing" but when I launch a HDR content (Chef's Table France) it doesn't seem to have HDR. When I press Xbox button and go back to the home screen, Netflix content becomes much more brighter (I think it's HDR ?), and when I go back to full screen, a dark layer appears on the picture.

Anyone experiencing the same issues and / or have found a solution ?

Footos22

Hi there !

Very disapointed with my UE55KS7000 (UN55KS8000) for now. When I tried Forza Horizon 3 the TV told "HDR is playing", everything seems to have a grey filter on it :(

On the TV :
- UHD Color is On
- Other settings are those recommanded on the web

On the console :
- 4K and HDR are on
- In game : HDR brightness is ~45%

I also tried Netflix. When I launch it on the Xbox One S, it says "HDR is playing" but when I launch a HDR content (Chef's Table France) it doesn't seem to have HDR. When I press Xbox button and go back to the home screen, Netflix content becomes much more brighter (I think it's HDR ?), and when I go back to full screen, a dark layer appears on the picture.

Anyone experiencing the same issues and / or have found a solution ?

Have you tried Netflix from the TV app?

Tntnico

Have you tried Netflix from the TV app?

Yes, I think it looks the same than on Xbox One S, but that's strange that there is a difference with much better colors when I'm on the Xbox Home Menu. I don't notice different colors (from my previous 1080p 46F8000 TV) on Forza Horizon 3 and (fullscreen) netflix in HDR :-/

harz-marz

Anytime there is a black background with white fonts, eg subtitles or a loading icon they seem to illuminate the black background. Is this normal?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Anytime there is a black background with white fonts, eg subtitles or a loading icon they seem to illuminate the black background. Is this normal?

Yes. Byproduct of crappy edge lighting. Can be mitigated somewhat by careful calibration and possibly turning off/down dynamic contrast options

Karak

yes its edge lighting. Sadly with the bad local dimming its also impacting anything around it. But that's one of the reasons you get that price.

Top Bottom