• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In Dreams it is even possible to make amazing open world games

GymWolf

I see a "nice effort" being elevated because of the context of it being made inside another "game". It certainly doesn't appear anything like "fantastic!" to me without that context.
This is the problem i have with dreams or past games from the same devs, even the best stuff created with them is still worst than some good indie games...

You don't really play the stuff created by other people to enjoy the game itself but just to wooow at what people can create with the tool.

Nobody is gonna avoid a mario game or a full fledged game to play what people create with dreams.

It's kinda an exercise of futility in my harsh way of seeing things...

Closer

Perhaps you should spend more time there with 'half empty' morons moaning about everything.

He's in the right place then, just not the right thread.

This game has so much potential it's crazy. Wanna see more of those creations.

Last edited:

Griffon

Amazing in the sense of that this is made with a PS4 controller by one person in Dreams? Absolutely. It's not amazing if you compare it with the games we play nowadays of course, but that doesn't seem like a fair comparison.
So you do acknowledge that this creation is not interesting on its own. You have to preface that it was made with a handicap.

It's cool that kids can try to make stuff with only a controller and a compromised interface on consoles, but the results are not news worthy.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
This just in:
Game creation systems can create game systems
More news at 11

Seriously I just don't get why any developer thinks that a large customer base wants to make games
If people actually wanted to make games, they not only would do that, but finding a computer and installing UE/Unity is the way to go
People are not intersted in making your product for you

Freeman76

People saying the games within dreams are shit, are probably right, but then its more about the creativity that goes into them, which is clearly not going to be something for everyone.

I can see why this thread is being hammered, because as an open world game it is shit, and compared to nearly anything you would pay for its definitely not news worthy. I have enjoyed fucking around in this game though (Dreams, not the game in this thread which I havent seen in game yet), and can appreciate the work that went into it. I have to wonder why bother though, as you can spend hundreds of hours making something like that, pretty much for nothing.

The thing that I can see myself spending time with is the music and visual editing. I have been working in mental health for many years, and would love to create something with some positive messages and tips for looking after yourself out there, perhaps as a visual scene with some text, chill sound effects etc, but fuck me if I dont even know where to begin with that!

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
People saying the games within dreams are shit, are probably right, but then its more about the creativity that goes into them, which is clearly not going to be something for everyone.

I can see why this thread is being hammered, because as an open world game it is shit, and compared to nearly anything you would pay for its definitely not news worthy. I have enjoyed fucking around in this game though (Dreams, not the game in this thread which I havent seen in game yet), and can appreciate the work that went into it. I have to wonder why bother though, as you can spend hundreds of hours making something like that, pretty much for nothing.

The thing that I can see myself spending time with is the music and visual editing. I have been working in mental health for many years, and would love to create something with some positive messages and tips for looking after yourself out there, perhaps as a visual scene with some text, chill sound effects etc, but fuck me if I dont even know where to begin with that!
That's the issue people take with something like this
You limit these created games to a second or third pay wall (The game, and possibly PSPlus) instead of just the first paywall of the hardware

If you want to reach the most amount of people, you do it on popular and accessible platforms. not something that would limit your out reach, and abilities to create these things

Like GIMP; entirely free photo editing suite. You can create and release your content anywhere for a viewer to see
Dreams will not do that, the only people that will see it will be people who own and play Dreams

nkarafo

I see a "nice effort" being elevated because of the context of it being made inside another "game". It certainly doesn't appear anything like "fantastic!" to me without that context. It's much like indie games to me; I never quite understood the notion that I should have more fun with a game just because it's made by one person in his basement. ..Or perhaps I'm just having a cynical day.
I never understood this either. I have a friend who plays some crappy indie games only because they are indie games. But he would never care about them if they were released by Nintendo or something.

I don't now if there's a name for that. Something about the illusion that a product has more value than a similar other product, only because the origin of the former is of lower expectations than the later.

Last edited:

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
So you do acknowledge that this creation is not interesting on its own. You have to preface that it was made with a handicap.

It's cool that kids can try to make stuff with only a controller and a compromised interface on consoles, but the results are not news worthy.
I enjoyed the creation for about 1,5 hour. So I got about 90 minutes of enjoyment out of it and during that time I found it interesting. And there are thousands of creations like this. It doesn't mean when it hasn't the production values of The Witcher 3 or Assassin's Creed that it can't be enjoyed.

nkarafo

Amazing in the sense of that this is made with a PS4 controller by one person in Dreams? Absolutely. It's not amazing if you compare it with the games we play nowadays of course, but that doesn't seem like a fair comparison.
Question is, would you spend time with it? And if yes, would you also spend time with it if the thread was a prank and the game was actually made by a big, popular developer using Unreal 4?

I enjoyed the creation for about 1,5 hour. So I got about 90 minutes of enjoyment out of it and during that time I found it interesting. And there are thousands of creations like this. It doesn't mean when it hasn't the production values of The Witcher 3 or Assassin's Creed that it can't be enjoyed.
Same question. Would you even consider spending time with it if it was made by CD Project Red?

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I never understood this either. I have a friend who plays some crappy indie games only because they are indie games. But he would never care about them if they were released by Nintendo or something.

I don't now if there's a name for that. Something about the illusion that a product has more value than a similar other product, only because the origin of the former is of lower expectations than the later.
I realllllly dig this question

For me, I'll admit, I like indie titles a bit more. Not that I don't enjoy a larger project in the same regard but...
There is a bit of charm that comes from the...hmph....counter culture, I guess I'm trying to say (Though probably not the best word choice)
Either through interesting gameplay, bugs, glitches, modding, story, etc. I just find that indie studios right now have fell into the idealogy of indie movie studios and well...yeah gaming is part of the entertainment industry but pushing it in the same way is...not what I prefer

Call me a bit of a hipster if you want, I just feel that bigger studios DO what bigger studios need to do to be profitable, so will kind of follow the same formulas

I guess the big take away from me, is that I enjoy both, and when I get tired of one, I go to the other, and really the studio size doesn't say the engine is going to be great or not, but most indie studios either miss bugs or leave them in to create charm

Also, this!

Dreams is cool - but that open world game looks shit.

It's only cool because someone built it in dreams.

If you can't tell I'm still yet to be sold on dreams. It's just naval gazing by media molecule. Cool tech - well done. I'm not paying for it.

Zambatoh

Define amazing because I fear it's being used pretty loosely here
The engine is pretty flexible and mostly easy to use. There is very little that cannot be tweaked or done within the context of this system.
And while everyone's first thought is to build entire games in it, the actual focus of the game is to work on individual projects such as sculpting, animation, art, music design and behavioral modification of various objects.

If nothing else it's a really good training tool for learning game design.

The closest equivalent that we have on PC is Game Maker, which is unfortunately restricted to 2D games and you have to pay a subscription for it.

EDMIX

are all playable

No they are not bud. "ALL" as in not a single one is simply a tech demo and "ALL" of them are "ALL" playable? Are you 100% sure about that? Don't argue in absolution. It makes next to no sense. You'd have to have tried every single last one to make such an absurd claim.

" So because something is immediately playable on a console it automatically means it isn't shovelware? "

Nope. Never said that, nice strawman though.

If it bothers you, stop coming on a thread talking about it... Go on a Mario Thread if you wish to talk about Mario, I'm not even sure what you'd be doing on this thread if this upsets you so much. Do you see me on threads crying over Madden or something?

Soooooo many, many examples go to show that people are making great, interesting, PLAYABLE content with this game. If its not your cup of tea, you have other threads to go on. Very simply solution.

Romulus Romulus I saw that a few days ago, the Fallout 4 world might be one of the craziest things I've seen ever made with a game of this kind. The modeling and gameplay they were able to achieve was just unbelievable.

VN1X

Banned
No they are not bud. "ALL" as in not a single one is simply a tech demo and "ALL" of them are "ALL" playable? Are you 100% sure about that? Don't argue in absolution. It makes next to no sense. You'd have to have tried every single last one to make such an absurd claim.

" So because something is immediately playable on a console it automatically means it isn't shovelware? "

Nope. Never said that, nice strawman though.

If it bothers you, stop coming on a thread talking about it... Go on a Mario Thread if you wish to talk about Mario, I'm not even sure what you'd be doing on this thread if this upsets you so much. Do you see me on threads crying over Madden or something?

Soooooo many, many examples go to show that people are making great, interesting, PLAYABLE content with this game. If its not your cup of tea, you have other threads to go on. Very simply solution.
So I can only post in a certain thread if I don't have anything negative or critical to say, gotcha!

(If you are so triggered by posts then maybe you should stop reading internet message boards)

EDMIX

So I can only post in a certain thread if I don't have anything negative or critical to say, gotcha!

(If you are so triggered by posts then maybe you should stop reading internet message boards)

Not really, simply begs to question why you are on a thread you clearly are upset about. I don't get why the excitement around this game upsets you. Go to place that talks about Mario if thats what you like...

Romulus

For Fallout, I think what we'll start seeing akin to DLC packs. Not full games, but something like 3-5 hours long. I'd like to see Fallout New Vegas-style missions personally. I saw one of the creators mentioning that in the comments as an idea floating around.

Maybe Fallout DLC of a city no one has explored yet within a hub world, more along the city scale of The Outer Worlds. They could just keep adding mission packs to it over and over. Within 2-3 years, I would expect an incredible amount of gameplay from these creators.

But this isn't going to get worse, it's only going to improve drastically. The tools, the level of talent, and inspiration. I wouldn't be surprised if we see hardcore, playable Star Wars games on here very soon because of the flux of fans and lack of games. I saw someone is already building a Jedi Knight game.

The foundation is already extremely solid, and just imagine what PS5's power will be able to increase in terms of scale. And by that time, the toolset will be even better.

It's going to take extremely crafty levels of suppression to downplay this. Even now, its barely released and people are wanting it fail and saying its trash lmao.

Look at Little Big Planet. Compared to Dreams, they had almost nothing to work with and they created downright incredible things. Dreams is going to be insane.

Last edited:

EDMIX

For Fallout, I think what we'll start seeing akin to DLC packs. Not full games, but something like 3-5 hours long. I'd like to see Fallout New Vegas-style missions personally. I saw one of the creators mentioning that in the comments as an idea floating around.

Maybe Fallout DLC of a city no one has explored yet within a hub world, more along the city scale of The Outer Worlds. They could just keep adding mission packs to it over and over. Within 2-3 years, I would expect an incredible amount of gameplay from these creators.

But this isn't going to get worse, it's only going to improve drastically. The tools, the level of talent, and inspiration. I wouldn't be surprised if we see hardcore, playable Star Wars games on here very soon because of the flux of fans and lack of games. I saw someone is already building a Jedi Knight game.

The foundation is already extremely solid, and just imagine what PS5's power will be able to increase in terms of scale. And by that time, the toolset will be even better.

It's going to take extremely crafty levels of suppression to downplay this. Even now, its barely released and people are wanting it fail and saying its trash lmao.

Look at Little Big Planet. Compared to Dreams, they had almost nothing to work with and they created downright incredible things. Dreams is going to be insane.

Agreed. The fact that a lot of this has been made in a few months is just crazy. Its going to get even crazier when they have a solid year under their belts to create stuff with the final version.

VN1X

Banned
Not really, simply begs to question why you are on a thread you clearly are upset about. I don't get why the excitement around this game upsets you. Go to place that talks about Mario if thats what you like...
You keep repeating that I'm somehow upset? If it makes you feel better I'm only ever so slightly annoyed (by the clickbait) but also rather amused. Nothing more.

Now in order to get this thread back on track, and not to bore the fuck out of the other posters, I shall take my leave and wish you a wonderful evening. Enjoy!

EDMIX

Arguably the best creative game we've ever seen.

Agreed, by far. The fact that in the beta they were able to do all of this is just insane. I can't wait to see what creators do months or years for now. I wonder how this will impact indie titles.

Consider how many of them exist and how many people who like those small, short experiences will start seeing more and more quality content pop up on Dreams.

Kingsora

I am very curious in what they will allow with a PS5 release. They probably could say go wild with this new powerful console, but then PS4 gamers can't play those games and I don't think MM is expecting everyone to rebuy the game. These are also the guys that are selling Dreams on a budget price (why even?).

Romulus

I am very curious in what they will allow with a PS5 release. They probably could say go wild with this new powerful console, but then PS4 gamers can't play those games and I don't think MM is expecting everyone to rebuy the game. These are also the guys that are selling Dreams on a budget price (why even?).

I was thinking about that too. One way you could make it work is to require PS5 games to be 60fps at like 1600p. That way when they're running on PS4 is only 30fps, 1080 or 900p even to free up resources. They could even have an effects toolset that isn't possible on PS4, but just make it sure it runs on both.

Kingsora

I was thinking about that too. One way you could make it work is to require PS5 games to be 60fps at like 1600p. That way when they're running on PS4 is only 30fps, 1080 or 900p even to free up resources. They could even have an effects toolset that isn't possible on PS4, but just make it sure it runs on both.
Yes but that's talking about framerate. I was especially thinking about what they would do with the thermometer. It would make sense to give ps5 users a thermometer that's twice as big. However if they do that ps4 users can't play those games...

Kingsora

Media Molecule should push creations created by a group of people on different consoles, rather than only one console.
Yeah, that's going to be difficult. Media Molecule is owned by Sony :p

jaysius

Banned
This should be in the OT. We don't need a clickbait titled thread about it EVERY DAY.

This is a rare case here, but it's barren and looks like they're on Mars with that hue, but why use an already copyrighted character when you can create anything? This isn't ready to clickbait people with yet, if you're trying to impress random people that aren't already on board with Dreams.

Stone Soup will be whatever effort people put into it, right now it's fresh so people are still playing it and hoping to make an impact with it, some people are DREAMing of what will happen in a few months, spoilers... nobody will be playing it all the hype will have died out, and maybe 1 or 2 dedicated people will be making semi-decent proof of concept type things.

Last edited:

Aidah

The tools are impressive considering it's a game, but my usual problem with this stuff is that it's only good or "amazing" if you consider how it was made. As actual games, they suck.

Last edited:

Romulus

The tools are impressive considering it's a game, but my usual problem with this stuff is that it's only good or "amazing" if you consider how it was made. As actual games, they suck.

It came out Feb 14th. That's zero time for main install base to polish anything at all. Look at the difference between week 1 Little Big planet and the end of its life. Incredible disparity, and that's considering the possibilities and tools were more limited with LBP.

We will see good games out of this, and I'm already seeing alot of solid foundations.

Last edited:
This is the problem i have with dreams or past games from the same devs, even the best stuff created with them is still worst than some good indie games...

You don't really play the stuff created by other people to enjoy the game itself but just to wooow at what people can create with the tool.

Nobody is gonna avoid a mario game or a full fledged game to play what people create with dreams.

It's kinda an exercise of futility in my harsh way of seeing things...

Completely agree. It's more of a creative outlet for those who want to share it with similar people. I don't think a game like this will ever take off.

I'd also argue that if someone wants to take that much time to make something they should learn unreal or unity.

Kingsora

Completely agree. It's more of a creative outlet for those who want to share it with similar people. I don't think a game like this will ever take off.

I'd also argue that if someone wants to take that much time to make something they should learn unreal or unity.
What is taking off for you? Is this going to be a worldwide phenomenon? Probably not, could this be the new Minecraft? Sure, why not.

The possibilities what you can do here within a game is just unique and never seen before.

Romulus

I've seen guys make full games in unity and unreal. Dreams is simply easier to use, theres no argument there. I'm not saying we'll see Elder Scrolls 6 here but I know for sure we'll see plenty of smaller scope and AA games in the coming years.

What is taking off for you? Is this going to be a worldwide phenomenon? Probably not, could this be the new Minecraft? Sure, why not.

The possibilities what you can do here within a game is just unique and never seen before.

I guess what I mean by that is there won't be a bunch of average players wanting this sort of experience and other companies probably won't try it either. Not saying it can't be a success story. This is a very niche experience that I think a lot of Dreams players want to see it reach a larger audience--which I think is unrealistic. Perhaps it's just a perspective I get from being on a forum everyday.

Last edited:

Kingsora

I guess what I mean by that is there won't be a bunch of average players wanting this sort of experience and other companies probably won't try it either. Not saying it can't be a success story. This is a very niche experience that I think a lot of Dreams players want to see it reach a larger audience--which I think is unrealistic. Perhaps it's just a perspective I get from being on a forum everyday.
I see the largest audience playing the games and not creating them. For 40 dollars you can (in theory) get the enjoyment of 1.000 great games. And no those games aren't AAA quality. But look at Minecraft, why is that so popular?

It sure is super impressive, but how many games will actually be finished and polished and released in a state that you really want to play it from start to end?

And will those games be better than the average indie game? Obviously only time can tell, but at this point it seems like Dreams is mostly fun for the creator and not so much for someone who wants to play the games.

I think most games will be short demos/cool stuff/proof of concepts etc.

Top Bottom