• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In light of recent announcements, list your top 10 Rev Virtual Console downloads.

_PsiFire_

Don't really want to think of TEN games but Tetrisphere is an absolute must!!

I mean, I have the N64 cart here and all - but I'd rather not have to bring my N64 out all the time!

Xellotah

teiresias said:
The only real games I'd be dying to download and play would be the Phantasy Star Games. Pretty much all the SNES games I want to play I still own the carts to and so I either stick them in my SNES. I'd be more interested in the Genesis and Turbographix stuff.

that reminds me...

add Phantasy star 4 to the list, I had the cart, but never really played it.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
DarknessTear said:
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (Why are people calling this Dracula X? D: It didn't come to the states with this name did it?)

Sort of. A "port" (and I hesitate to call it that because I hear its pretty different from the original) was released for the SNES in the states with that name.

Lee N

Membre
DarknessTear said:
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (Why are people calling this Dracula X? D: It didn't come to the states with this name did it?)
Question is, why are you calling it that? The japanese name is Dracula X: Chi no Rondo.

Lo-Volt

I would stick to the basics. Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario Kart, maybe Axelay or something like it, the original StarFox if the frame rate is bumped up. And I second _PsiFire_'s motion for Tetrisphere.

Cheebs

You guys expecting third party games are crazy. For NES-N64 I expect just Nintendo, for Genesis I expect just Sega...etc. I can't limit myself to ten! Here is what I am downloading(games I have on GBA/GCN would be a waste to download IMO so they aren't included)

NES:
1. Duck Hunt
2. Kid Icarus

SNES:
1. Earthbound
2. Kirby Super Star
3. Kirby's Dream Land 3
4. StarFox
5. Super Mario RPG
6. Super Metroid
7. Super Punch-Out!!

N64:
1. Donkey Kong 64
2. Goldeneye 007
3. Kirby 64
4. Paper Mario
5. Pokemon Snap
6. StarFox 64
7. Yoshi's Story

GEN:
1. Streets of Rage 2

1. Ogre Battle 64
2. Super Metroid
3. Sonic 3
4. Body Harvest...if it ever shows up
5. Super Mario All Stars
6. Kirby Super Star
7. Streets of Rage
8. Space Station Silicon Valley
9. Chrono Trigger
10. Battletoads / Double Dragon

Peru

Cheebs said:
You guys expecting third party games are crazy. For NES-N64 I expect just Nintendo, for Genesis I expect just Sega...etc. I can't limit myself to ten! Here is what I am downloading(games I have on GBA/GCN would be a waste to download IMO so they aren't included)

Nonsense. 3rd party games have been confirmed. I expect tons of them, all of the big names + much more.

ethelred

My number one hope here is that Nintendo recognizes what a gold mine it would be if they take the opportunity the Virtual Console offers and give gamers the chance to play games that never received ocalizations before. They could translate some of these old games, offer them for sale over the VC at a slightly higher price than normal downloads, and not have to deal with distribution, packaging, or retailer costs.

If they make this reality, my download list would look something like:

1. Fire Emblem: Thracia 776
2. Fire Emblem: Geneology of the Holy War
3. Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem
4. Fire Emblem
5. Fire Emblem Gaiden

And after that, possibly other stuff that I can't think of.

Standard classics downloads I'll be grabbing:

1. Phantasy Star IV
2. Paper Mario
3. Ogre Battle 64
4. Shining Force II
5. Earthbound
6. Shining in the Darkness
7. Super Mario RPG
8. I'm not sure at this point.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I want two things really:

1. Games that never released outside of Japan
2. Improved framerates and resolutions where possible

For the first one, it'd be nice if we got new translations of games like Fire Emblem like ethelred said, but if they don't do that then I still want to be able to get the games even in their Japanese only state. Sure, I probably don't want to play Fire Emblem that way, but I do want to play Sin & Punishment any way I can.

I just hope they don't try and restrict things by region (except where licenses and things are a problem). Rather than stopping people buying Japanese only games, they should just have a very clear warning about the text.

Cheebs

Peru said:
Nonsense. 3rd party games have been confirmed. I expect tons of them, all of the big names + much more.
Where is third party confirmed? The leaked lists for NES-N64 games at ign and the like were just nintendo published games and Genesis and Turbographx annoucements made no mention of third party software.

Grug

If you went back to 1992 and told everyone that in 14 years you'd be not only be able to play SNES and Genesis games on the same Nintendo console but that you'd download them essentially out of thin air with no wires... you would have been locked up.

Mama Smurf

Cheebs said:
Where is third party confirmed? The leaked lists for NES-N64 games at ign and the like were just nintendo published games and Genesis and Turbographx annoucements made no mention of third party software.

I don't know if it's confirmed, but why wouldn't third parties get on board? Do they dislike money that much?

Baron

ArcadeStickMonk said:
tg16_hitz.jpg

Haha, nice. :p

I got rid of my copies of those two games years ago. I tried to console myself with playing the Nectaris PSX port, but it just wasn't the same. The freeware Nectaris PC port is very nice, though.

Punchout
Super Punchout
Super Metroid
Super Mario Bros 3
Super Mario World
Streets of Rage 2
Blast Corps
Banjo Kazooie
Goldeneye
Perfect Dark

Last two riding on framerate improvements.

Tiger

Banned
1) Yoshi's Island
2) Super Mario World
3) R.C Pro-Am
4) Virtua Tennis (Dreamcast version with online play!)
5) Crazy Taxi (Dreamcast version with leaderboards and online play!)
6) Powerstone (with online play!)
7) Daytona 2 (arcade version with online play!)
8) Sega Rally 2 (arcade version with online play!)
9) Waverace 64
10)Sin & Punishment (I regret selling my copy) :(

Of course i'm including both the Revolution and the 360 with my list. :D

Sadly, I didn't have a Genesis or TG-16, so I'm not sure what to get for those systems. :(

Non Nintendo:
Actraiser
Secret of Mana
Dragon Warrior II, III, IV
Lufia II
Final Fantasy IV, V, VI
Contra III

Hopefully when the Rev/VC comes out there'll be a thread listing the best games for each system so ignorant gamers like me will have an idea of what's good.

I'm hoping Nintendo can also get SNK on board, would love some Samurai Showdown, King of Fighters, and Final Fight

Contra, Excitebike 64, Goldeneye, Super R-Type, Killer Instinct Gold, Bad Dudes, and Ninja Gaiden.

I wonder if we'll see some ports to GC, because of BC.

dbish

Gunstar Heroes - Genesis
Alien Soldier - Genesis
Contra Hard Corps - Genesis
Thunderforce 4 - Genesis

Chrono Trigger - SNES
Contra 3 - SNES

Sin and Punishment - N64
Mario 64 - N64
Star Fox 64 - N64

Super Mario Brothers 3 - NES

a few questions

1: will everygame be available for download, EVEN the ones that was only released in Japan?
so if I live in europe and want to download a japanese game can I do that, and will it play on a PAL Rev??

2: alot of NES and SNES games had 2 player mode, will they be working online? lets say in Mario Bros, we all know that you can play two players, so what if I am alone and want to play two players, can I hook it up to the net and play against someone ?

4: what File size will a N64 game be, a SNES game and Nes game?

Mama Smurf

A couple of N64 games were 64MB (RE2 and Conker I think, not that we need to worry about Conker. Maybe a Pokemon Stadium) and some were 48...ermm...Ogre Battle...Paper Mario...probably it.

Kevtones

Holy shit I don't even know where to begin:

Sin + Punishment
Blazing Lazerzzzzzz
Earthbound
Splatterhouse
Alien Crush
Super Mario All-Stars (I need to attempt these lost levels!)
Dracula X
Guardian Heroes
Yoshi's Island

So many others its pretty scary.

Mostly games i missed back then.

NES

TMNT 1
TMNT 3
Kid Icarus

SNES

Chrono Trigger
Super Metroid
TMNT IV: Turtles in Time

N64

Jet Force Gemini
Mario Tennis
Goldeneye
Pilotwings 64

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
I probably won't buy a Revolution (yes I know this takes away from my statements credibility) but if I do it would definitely be for new games and not for old ish.

UNLESS I can play Goldeneye one shot kills pistols online.

Jefklak

Hard to make a #10 list but here goes anyway

01) N64 - Ogre Battle 64
02) SNES - Super Metroid
03) SNES - Earthbound and/or Terranigma
04) SNES - Secret of Mana and/or Chrono Trigger
05) SEGA - Toejam & Earl on Panic in Funkotron II
06) SNES - Contra III
07) N64 - Paper Mario
08) SEGA - That classic cult RPG thing wich never hit Europe

And probably also (unsorted)
x) SNES - One of the Kirby variations
x) SNES - Dracula X or some other Castlevania
x) NES - Duck Hunt (with RevMote, lol)
x) SEGA - Some Golden Axe version
x) SEGA - Fatal Fury

Since I already own Sonic Mega Collection, and most Mairo & Zelda remakes on GBA.
I hope to get my hands on Megaman (X) Collection someday so those aren't counted in eighter.

1. Zombies Ate My Neighbors (SNES)
2. Beetle Adventure Racing (N64)
3. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time (SNES)
4. Goldeneye (N64)
5. Star Fox (SNES)
6. Wave Race (N64)
7. Earthworm Jim (SNES)
8. Bubble Bobble (NES)
9. Sin and Punishment (N64)
10. Battle Toads (SNES)

God that's a hot list of games.

Firstly, I would like to note that while I DO have a NES/SNES and N64 still to this day, I actually sold my original systems and games. So *my* Top 10 is all about the games I've yet to recollect. All but the number one spot of course which is where my curiosity lies. I want to see what kind of new content might come out over Virtual Console.

TOP 10 GAMES I CAN'T WAIT TO DOWNLOAD

1. NEW virtual console content (REV)
2. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
3. Super Scope 6 (SNES) -- * this is if they add revmote lightgun emulation
4. A Boy and His Blob (NES)
5. Bubble Bobble 2: Rainbow Islands (NES)
6. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (GEN)
7. Super Mario All Stars (SNES) -- * failing this, Super Mario Bros 3 (NES)
8. Super Mario World (SNES)
9. Super Mario World: Yoshi's Island (SNES)
10. Super Metroid (SNES)

To expand further, these are the 10 games each I expect to have in my library for each virtual system:

NES

The Legend of Zelda
Super Mario Bros 1 / Duck Hunt
Super Mario Bros 3
Metroid
Marble Madness
Maniac Mansion
Nintendo World Cup
Bubble Bobble 2: Rainbow Islands
Mega Man II
A Boy and His Blob

SNES

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Mario World
Super Mario World: Yoshi's Island
Super Scope 6
Super Metroid
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy III/VI
Terranigma
Uniracers / Unirally
Secret of Mana

NINTENDO 64

Super Mario 64
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
GoldenEye 007 (if its available)
Pilotwings 64
Diddy Kong Racing
1080 Snowboarding
Blast Corps
Sin & Punishment
Starfox 64

SEGA GENESIS / MEGADRIVE

Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Streets of Rage
GoldenAxe
Outrun
Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
Mortal Kombat II
Earthworm Jim
Flashback
Shinobi III

Tarazet

1. Magical Chase
2. Earthbound
3. Bubble Bath Babes
4. Final Fantasy III (VI)
5. Chrono Trigger
6. Syd Mead's Terraforming
7. Nintendo World Championship
8. Dracula X
9. Gradius
10. Super Mario RPG

Jiggy

Okay, I'll exclude games I still own on the original system (FFVI, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound), games I own as a port (Mario 3, A Link to the Past, Mario 64), games that I once owned and sold because I didn't care anymore (Kirby's Dreamland 3, Tetris & Dr. Mario), and games that I once owned and sold only because I knew I'd be able to download them back on Revolution anyway (Kirby Super Star, Super Mario RPG).

In no order:

1) EVO: The Search For Eden (SNES). The game was brilliant, though the concept was really, really out there. (A great summary of why can be found at GameFAQs, of all places, albeit spoiling the story to do so.)

2) Zombies Ate My Neighbors (SNES). Of all the games that I only played because of the recommendation of a casual-gamer relatives, this is the only one that turned out good--and boy, did it ever turn out good.

3) Super Metroid (SNES). This and Metroid Fusion are the two games in the series that I've never owned. I've played Super Metroid, though, so I know how worthwhile it is.

4) Terranigma (SNES). I liked Illusion of Gaia.

5) Mario Tennis (N64). I didn't find out how brilliant this franchise is until the GBA game.

6) Ogre Battle (SNES). Apparently I'm in the minority considering how this thread has gone, but I vastly preferred this to the N64 sequel; both the battles and the walking speed were faster in the original SNES game.

7) Actraiser (SNES). A friend rented this long ago and I thought it was a great game.

8) Beetle Adventure Racing (N64). I've heard good things about it, and comparisons to Diddy Kong Racing. Considering that I think single-player DKR blows all single-player Mario Kart games out of the water, that's a nice comparison to make.

9) YS, any of them (TG16). I saw screenshots and the screenshots involved cute anime females and an RPG, thus making this a must-buy.

10) I have no idea what the name is (TG16). Basically a vertical-scrolling space shooter that looked fantastic, but the website where I saw a picture of it is currently down, so I don't know the title...

Dr. Jade

1. Super Mario RPG
2. Sonic 3
3. Donkey Kong Country
4. Wave Race 64
5. Yoshi's Island
6. F-Zero X
7. Mario 64
8. Goldeneye 007

(crossing fingers for Sega arcade games :D )

9. Sega Rally
10. House of the Dead

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Baron Aloha said:
01. Dracula X
02. Dracula X
03. Dracula X
04. Dracula X
05. Dracula X
06. Dracula X
07. Dracula X
08. Dracula X
09. Dracula X
10. Dracula X

What he said.

Rockman

1. Zelda: OOT (N64)
2. Super Mario 64 (N64, duh)
3. Super Mario World (SNES)
4. Zelda: LTTP (SNES)
5. Super Metroid (SNES)
6. Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
7. Sonic 2 (Genny)
8. Bonk's Adventure (TG16)
9. Quackshot (Genny)
10. Punch-out! (NES)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Oh god, Actraiser, Turtles in Time, Bonk, and Super Bomberman would make my day. Secret of Mana and FF3 would be awesome too, despite the fact I've played way too much of both.

A_Lee_N said:
Yes, The castlevania series is known as Akumajou Dracula in Japan. And the PC Engine one is, indeed, called Dracula X.

Yeah I already know all that shit, I just wasn't sure because there's so many Dracula X games. Wasn't SotN for the Saturn a Dracula X game too of some sort? So it was a bit confusing. I did play Rondo of Blood though, great game.

Top Bottom