• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In other Delta flight news: Dog bites man (on the face)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dog bites man

A man on a Delta flight from Atlanta, Georgia, to San Diego, California, was hospitalized after being repeatedly bitten in the face by another passenger's emotional support dog, according to the Associated Press.

Atlanta police report that Marlin Jackson, a Daphne, Alabama resident, was bitten by a Labrador retriever-pointer mix brought on a Delta flight by Ronald Mundy Jr., a member of the Marine Corps from Mills River, North Carolina.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It was an emotional support dog too? LMAO

Feel bad for the guy though.

Bad dog.

It was an emotional support dog too? LMAO

Feel bad for the guy though.

Bad dog.

image.php

bionic77

A lot of this emotional support stuff seems like bullshit but you can't call people out on it because some of it is legitimate.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I hope this helps force a crackdown on trivially granted emotional support certification. It's almost 100% abuse and we all know someone who does it- and will ruin it for people who really need an animal support.

Wallach

I hope this helps force a crackdown on trivially granted emotional support certification. It's almost 100% abuse and we all know someone who does it- and will ruin it for people who really need an animal support.

i have never seen or interacted with anyone that does it actually

bionic77

People who do it to save money on taking care of their animals while on vacation are pretty shitty.

If it's not legitimate, you would think it would come back on the doctor who certified it, no?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I know several.

Also reading the story, why was that man allowed to leave with his dog? It bit a guy's face off. It should at least be examined and quarantined for observation.

sangreal

Dog bites man

My cats are registered emotional support cats (legitimately, not just to try to get around something or anything), but I've yet to travel with them.

There is no such thing as a registered emotional support animal. Except to the extent that people will take your money to call it registered. The rights afforded to people with such animals don't require any registration and there is no official registry or certification anyway

Mimosa97

I know a professional poker player who got one of those dogs and he gets to keep it with him during final tables at the world series etc... even though dogs aren't allowed inside the perimeter lol

Everyone knows it's bullshit but there's nothing they can do about it. The guy has been playing poker as a full time job since he was 18 why the fuck would he need a support dog ?

If the political landscape wasn't currently hell on earth, I wished this would've started a chain reaction that leads to clear legal delineation of what constitutes a certified service animal.

Rahvar

I know a professional poker player who got one of those dogs and he gets to keep it with him during final tables at the world series etc... even though dogs aren't allowed inside the perimeter lol

Everyone knows it's bullshit but there's nothing they can do about it. The guy has been playing poker as a full time job since he was 18 why the fuck would he need a support dog ?

Not defending the emotional support pet thing but what does he being a full time poker player have to do with his emotional well-being? A lot of people who seems fine on the surface actually is struggling every day. Look at Chris Cornell.

Nista

It annoys me that airlines will let large dogs fly unrestrained in the cabin, but I can't even pay for my completely harmless small reptile to fly in an enclosed carrier under the seat. I know which one ain't going to make any noise or bite a mans face off.

I don't personally know anyone either, but just recently there was a thread here where a dude was asking GAF to approve of him getting an "emotional support" animal because he always had dogs but for some reason decided to lease an apartment with a no-pets policy.

There aren't any real restrictions or qualifications - an emotional support animal is basically anything that you, the owner, designate as such - so it's very much open to abuse. And that really sucks for people for whom the animals genuinely provide an essential benefit.

Makonero

When I flew home for Christmas this year there were probably ten people taking their dogs straight on the plane and I just rolled my eyes. This is ripe for abuse. How many faces need to be bitten off before there's some kind of regulation around this? Some people are allergic or have phobias (like my uncle). If it's for something legitimate than I get it, but geez.

Hylian7

People who do it to save money on taking care of their animals while on vacation are pretty shitty.

If it's not legitimate, you would think it would come back on the doctor who certified it, no?

https://www.registermyserviceanimal.com/emotional-support-animal-requirements.html

You actually don't have to do much at all to register an animal as an emotional support. Lots of people do it, but for various reasons. Some because they are actually registering it as an emotional support animal, but others for things like avoiding pet rent or pet limits in apartment complexes.

I hope I don't get judged too harshly for this, but in the apartment I live in, we plan on getting a dog and the staff at the apartment actually suggested registering the dog as an emotional support animal to get around their 2 pet limit. (we have two cats already) I can definitely say we wouldn't be taking any of our pets on a plane unless we were moving, and even then we still might opt to have them travel in a crate. We wouldn't be taking the dog in places we wouldn't normally be able to take a dog.

It's definitely difficult to try to say "bullshit, you don't need an emotional support animal" to someone because you have no idea, but I do think that measures should be taken to ensure incidents like this wouldn't happen with the animal. From the site I just linked, this is on there:

Federal law does not require these animals to have any specific training.
The animal must have good social skills and not be aggressive toward
people or other animals. The animal must be under your control at all times.

Clearly the dog in the OP article failed in this category.

Edit: This one is probably more official: https://www.usserviceanimals.org/product/emotional-support-animal-registration/

riotous

Banned

Hylian7

That's because it isn't a real thing.

That's literally "pay me $80 for a pretend certification."

It's not a common thing, but I definitely thing it's a real thing. Have you ever considered elderly people that live alone and have mental health issues? Or just people that live alone and have mental health issues? It's like saying that a dog that can detect seizures isn't possible.

Edit: Here's a more official-looking, (and probably more official) site: https://www.usserviceanimals.org/product/emotional-support-animal-registration/

Makonero

It's not a common thing, but I definitely thing it's a real thing. Have you ever considered elderly people that live alone and have mental health issues? Or just people that live alone and have mental health issues? It's like saying that a dog that can detect seizures isn't possible.
It's not official in any capacity. There's no oversight, no requirements, no training for these animals. It's literally words on a piece of paper you pay for. Like certified mail, it signifies nothing about the animal, since as someone mentioned above, all pets are technically "emotional support animals."

Hylian7

It's not official in any capacity. There's no oversight, no requirements, no training for these animals. It's literally words on a piece of paper you pay for. Like certified mail, it signifies nothing about the animal, since as someone mentioned above, all pets are technically "emotional support animals."

True, but it is still widely accepted. I sort of mentioned it above, but I do definitely think they should require some special training for it.

NinjaBoiX

Emotional support pets? Oh fuck off.

Of course I understand that pets are incredibly important for some people's emotional wellbeing but they've actually given them a tag now? Like they're essential or something?

Let's be honest, if it's not a guide dog you can do without.
I have a letter from my doctor indicating that my cats are necessary for my emotional well-being.
liz-lemon-oh-brother.gif

I mean, unless you're blind they shouldn't be letting animals come in the plane with people. I think you can deal with being away from your pet for a few bloody hours while you fly.

NinjaBoiX

I mean, unless you're blind they shouldn't be letting animals come in the plane with people. I think you can deal with being away from your pet for a few bloody hours while you fly.
That's what I mean.

I get it, you're lonely and you'll cry a lot without your beloved pet but Emotional Support Pet™? Like, a doctor actually spent their valuable time to give your cat some stupid tag that let's them on planes and shit?

Give me strength man. Or maybe an Emotional Support Beer.

Makonero

That's what I mean.

I get it, you're lonely and you'll cry a lot without your beloved pet but Emotional Support Pet™? Like, a doctor actually spent their valuable time to give your cat some stupid tag that let's them on planes and shit?

Give me strength man. Or maybe an Emotional Support Beer.
I know people with severe anxiety and panic attacks that use emotional support animals to help them cope. I know people with PTSD from war who tell me their dog is what keeps the dark thoughts away sometimes. It is a necessary thing, but it's gotten wildly out of control. I fear that the people who genuinely could use these animals will now not bother since so many people abuse the system to get their pets places that pets shouldn't be.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I've made a topic on this before (more on people taking their animals anywhere/everywhere) and called it then: it was just a matter of time until something actually happened. With the number of people that have "certified/perscribed" their pets, comes MORE of a chance of something bad happening. Not all dogs are good dogs, and things can happen if some are more defensive etc. than others.

Makonero

I've made a topic on this before (more on people taking their animals anywhere/everywhere) and called it then: it was just a matter of time until something actually happened. With the number of people that have "certified/perscribed" their pets, comes MORE of a chance of something bad happening. Not all dogs are good dogs, and things can happen if some are more defensive etc. than others.
And it just might be the dog isn't used to so many people or being in cramped quarters or someone was grabbing his tail...things that dogs can be trained to deal with but no emotional support animal is.

NinjaBoiX

I know people with severe anxiety and panic attacks that use emotional support animals to help them cope. I know people with PTSD from war who tell me their dog is what keeps the dark thoughts away sometimes. It is a necessary thing, but it's gotten wildly out of control. I fear that the people who genuinely could use these animals will now not bother since so many people abuse the system to get their pets places that pets shouldn't be.
Or a pet. It's just a pet man.

The bond between owner and pet is a beautiful thing, it really is. I love animals and can totally understand how their unconditional love and warm, comforting presence can help someone in distress.

But it's this need to label everything that annoys me, like I don't have a "pet", it's a certified ESA, my doctor took time out of his busy schedule to write me a note that says so.

Get a grip.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
And it just might be the dog isn't used to so many people or being in cramped quarters or someone was grabbing his tail...things that dogs can be trained to deal with but no emotional support animal is.

Animals can still be unpredictable. You may know how a dog is around you, but sometimes there's things that dogs just don't like about some people... So when some people say "my dog would never!" it may not be around them, but some dogs can be very protective of their alpha. Maybe someone smelled wrong. Something that provoked them that only they would understand.

In this story, I'd like to know what might've provoked it to REPEATEDLY bite the guy. Did the guy do something, or he just attacked him?

Owner got a slap on the wrist (status?) while guy is in the hospital.

riotous

Banned
It's not a common thing, but I definitely thing it's a real thing.

I'm saying that web site isn't an actual certification that has any legal merit, which is why it's "Easy". You might as well print your own "certification" using a Word template.

Makonero

Or a pet. It's just a pet man.

The bond between owner and pet is a beautiful thing, it really is. I love animals and can totally understand how their unconditional love and warm, comforting presence can help someone in distress.

But it's this need to label everything that annoys me, like I don't have a "pet", it's a certified ESA, my doctor took time out of his busy schedule to write me a note that says so.

Get a grip.
Why do you care what people call it? If someone's doctor recommends getting a dog to help with their PTSD, don't you think that's different than Bob and Joanne buying Timmy a puppy?

I'm just saying there needs to be clear delineation, training and regulation.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Why do you care what people call it? If someone's doctor recommends getting a dog to help with their PTSD, don't you think that's different than Bob and Joanne buying Timmy a puppy?

I'm just saying there needs to be clear delineation, training and regulation.

Maybe they should train a line of service dogs to be docile and caring to be actual certified support animals. I would absolutely be fine with that! Not to say you can't own other dogs, but THIS is the trained dog you can bring with you in places like planes. OR take your own animal to get trained, like a doggie school.

When it comes to other non-dog animals to bring into public... it gets tough. That story of the turkey being brought on a plane... yeah I wouldn't trust a turkey I don't know to play nice with people. (At least that story turned out fine).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom