• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In other Delta flight news: Dog bites man (on the face)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makonero

Maybe they should train a line of service dogs to be docile and caring to be actual certified support animals. I would absolutely be fine with that! Not to say you can't own other dogs, but THIS is the trained dog you can bring with you in places like planes. OR take your own animal to get trained, like a doggie school.

When it comes to other non-dog animals to bring into public... it gets tough. That story of the turkey being brought on a plane... yeah I wouldn't trust a turkey I don't know to play nice with people. (At least that story turned out fine).
I am 100% in agreement with this. I think trained dogs or a dog school would be great. Maybe trained, docile cats for those that don't like dogs, but that would be more difficult. But something more than a piece of paper, and it needs to be restricted to certain animals.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I am 100% in agreement with this. I think trained dogs or a dog school would be great. Maybe trained, docile cats for those that don't like dogs, but that would be more difficult. But something more than a piece of paper, and it needs to be restricted to certain animals.

I also suggested the school for people that insisted that it has to be specifically the dog they already own. But if their dog fails (barks WAY too much, nips at other dogs/people, won't listen to basic commands, won't settle down, can't deal with crowded places), then no REAL certificate for you!

I wish this was a real thing, but something something money/need charities etc. to fund.

Edit: For cats, maybe retired Hollywood cats? Where else can you find trained cats that seem to be calm, no matter the situation.

Hmm. The dog is put in a kennel and that's it? What if this had been a child? Is that dog dangerous or not? Dogs can be put down for biting someone in the UK, though maybe if it's regarded as not being dangerous by a vet or dog handler it may not. But still, it could've been far worse and could happen again.

Anion

I'm just glad I haven't run into this yet on a flight. My allergies would kill me.
I didn't even realize you could take a pet in the passenger region without putting it in a kennel

Glasshole

Banned
And that's why I have an emotional support leopard 2.
300px-Leopard_2_A5_der_Bundeswehr.jpg

I take it with me wherever I go. It's so cute ^-^ got it certified on registermyserviceanimal.com too.

Hylian7

Because calling it an Emotional Service Animal might enable someone to take its untrained/terrified ass onto a plane to munch on someone's face?
So because someone somewhere has abused it, let's just eradicate it completely... Sounds exactly like people that believe welfare recipients are just moochers and use food stamps on nothing but avocado toast.

Granted those examples are different because it certainly seems like the abuse is more common with this than with welfare. Regardless, why throw the idea out altogether when maybe the government can implement a system for this and have doctors screen cases better.

The casual mental health dismissal is really bad in this thread.

Oppo

the only kind of ESA i'd consider legit is a dog that senses a seizure or something. cats - sorry i just have no reason to believe a cat is supporting you on any level, they just don't behave that way.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Can I register my wife as an emotional support person and get her to fly free with me?

i bet when the dog was gnawing on the mans face the owner probably said something along the lines of he/she never knew the dog to anything like that before. i hope the man sues the shit out of the passenger and delta.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
This gives me hope that my dream of having an emotional support wolverine may one day be realized.

My Honey Badger is the most surly violent emotional support animal around. When you need emotional support he goes for your balls and suddenly you don't need emotional support anymore!

CSJ

Some people legitimately are scared of some dogs, like me; due to things happening when I was younger. Not all of course, but some just scare the fuck out of me and I don't trust being around them.

I'd hope they'd afford me the opportunity to sit elsewhere or not next to it.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Or a pet. It's just a pet man.

The bond between owner and pet is a beautiful thing, it really is. I love animals and can totally understand how their unconditional love and warm, comforting presence can help someone in distress.

But it's this need to label everything that annoys me, like I don't have a "pet", it's a certified ESA, my doctor took time out of his busy schedule to write me a note that says so.

Get a grip.
Wow it really bothers you what people refer to their pets. Emotional support animals are a thing. Maybe consider the feelings of someone who feels the need to specify that and what they're going through compared to just randomly getting a pet.

Nevasleep

Annoying as hell when people take their badly trained pets on public transport.

After this story, I'll be complaining if I'm forced to sit next to someone on a plane with a dog (which isn't guide dog), as I don't want to take the risk of getting bitten.

You can legitimately take pets with you on a flight if they're small enough (generally under 10lbs) to fit in a carrier under the seat. You're also never supposed to remove them from the carrier. I did this when I had to move to a different country.

Problem is a lot of people abuse the shit out of pet policies so stuff like this happens, then they have to pile on more restrictions which ends up punishing everyone else. I remember seeing a woman's 2 "emotional support" dogs piss everywhere in an airport and she didn't give a shit.

Because calling it an Emotional Service Animal might enable someone to take its untrained/terrified ass onto a plane to munch on someone's face?

This right here.

You need your dog, cat, turkey, miniature pony, whatever? Fine. You should have to buy the entire row of seats. I shouldn't have to sit next to your pet....

$69 is all it takes. Took 5 seconds to find a site, and it looks like it would take maybe two minutes to fill out the order form.

Congress needs to revisit that legislation. :(

Graphic photos of injury, plus more details and photo of dog here:

http://fourleggedfriendsandenemies.blogspot.com/2017/06/ronald-kevin-mundy-jr-claims-his-dog-is.html

That dog seems a bit big to sit on someone's lap during a 5-6 hour flight. The dog owner had a middle seat and was going to have the animal just sitting there.

cromofo

People with dogs on public transport are the worst.

Especially when they can't control their dogs and they end up sniffing everyone and barking. I was on a ferry ride last week and some woman brought a dog INSIDE the sitting area while she could've easily gone outside in the open area. The dog didn't stop barking for 45 minutes and she just sat there like a dumbass.

Piss off. I wanted to throw them overboard. Not everyone likes dogs/cats and not everyone wants someone else's animals around them.

Shinypogs

Emotional support pets? Oh fuck off.

Of course I understand that pets are incredibly important for some people's emotional wellbeing but they've actually given them a tag now? Like they're essential or something?

Let's be honest, if it's not a guide dog you can do without.

liz-lemon-oh-brother.gif

There's a hell of a lot more service dogs than guide dogs that may need to be on planes with their handler.
You have mobility assistance dogs both for those who can semi walk on their own and those in wheelchairs or other mobility devices, hearing assistance dogs, seizure alert dog, allergy alert dog, psychiatric service dog ( which covers ptsd for soldiers, first respondents and civilians, autism dogs, etc) etc . Some of these dogs will be trained properly by facilities that have been doing this for years, some of the dogs will be trained properly by their owners with the help of certified dog trainers, some of these dogs will be trained by idiots who may genuinely need them but refuse to wait for a facility dog and can;t afford or won't pay for the dog to be trained by a professional.

An emotional support animal is less than a service animal but more than a pet. Many still do tasks for their handlers ( pick up objects, open doors, alert to certain stimulants , use an emergency phone if handler falls or becomes unconscious) but their handler does not have a recognized disability and therefor the animal cannot be a service animal. Again you will have well trained and poorly trained individuals among those you encounter.

Do not judge every service or emotional support animal you see based on the bad cases and for godsake don't confront someone about it unless their animal is being unruly and even then be polite ( unless you know the animal is trying to eat your face.)

The asshat who took a poorly trained animal onto that plane just made progress for disabled individuals the world over who need a service or support animal that much harder.

Zoe

Graphic photos of injury, plus more details and photo of dog here:

http://fourleggedfriendsandenemies.blogspot.com/2017/06/ronald-kevin-mundy-jr-claims-his-dog-is.html

That dog seems a bit big to sit on someone's lap during a 5-6 hour flight. The dog owner had a middle seat and was going to have the animal just sitting there.

God damn, just reading all of that pisses me off.

People are going to dismiss the site because of the anti-pit bull angle though.

Only anecdotal, but the few times I've seen emotional support pets, they're clearly not trained service animals. I don't care if it's real or not for the most part (personally I find the concept ridiculous), but if they're going to be granted the same privileges as a motherfucking seeing dog, they should be trained to the same standard!

Zoe

Only anecdotal, but the few times I've seen emotional support pets, they're clearly not trained service animals. I don't care if it's real or not for the most part (personally I find the concept ridiculous), but if they're going to be granted the same privileges as a motherfucking seeing dog, they should be trained to the same standard!
And that's the problem. They shouldn't be granted the same privileges--there is no law that requires it. Companies are doing it as customer service at the expense of their other customers.

gcubed

How can your dog bite someone repeatedly with no consequences?

I'm assuming it was deference to the ex military

sinkfla87

I work in the hotel industry and while I will not say that "there is no such thing as an emotional support animal" I will say that this is a practice that gets abused nearly all of the time. We're actually not allowed to ask for any sort of paperwork or certification verifying whether or not the animal is indeed officially an aid. We also cannot prevent them being brought into most areas where we would normally not allow animals. Obviously, certain animals are off the list but big ass dogs being considered as such is not unusual.

They need to scrap this whole "Emotional Support Animal" thing and just create a new, official sub-section of the Service Animal part in the Disability Act that's regulated, registered, and properly tested (both animals and humans) to weed out all the abusers. There need to be actual standards or stuff like this will keep happening and people will keep exploiting it.

And that's the problem. They shouldn't be granted the same privileges--there is no law that requires it. Companies are doing it as customer service at the expense of their other customers.
They're probably doing it in fear of being challenged I assume under ADA in some form. Moreso than for customer service.

I do agree a solution would be required oversight with an actual training requirement and certification. Owner must get the dog from an approved trainer, or take their existing animal for training at an approved facility. If it passes, then certification.

Clockwork

The dog shouldn't have been on the plane.

Also to certain people:

Stop confusing emotional support dogs with service dogs. I think most if not all the criticism is towards the former. Nobody should be able to self identify their pet as some support animal allowing them to bypass certain restrictions without a real certification process (from both a behavioral and training perspectives). Spending 5 minutes filling out a web form and paying $80 doesn't count.

Just like oversized people should be required to pay for multiple seats, people taking planes with large animals should be required to buy out the whole set of seats.

Jenov

Was about to post the same.

He should have gotten a non killer breed like a labra... oh wait.

The dog was not a labrador, lol:

060817-mundyGA-1a.jpg

This is common with a lot of bad pit bull owners, they claim their dog is a mixed labrador or somesuch breed to get around city ordinances which is another common problem.

The ADA does not recognize or cover any of these bullshit "emotional support" animals, Delta needs be sued over this incident and boot them all off their flights. Ridiculous this guy was taking a vicious fucking pittbull on his lap on the flight under the guise of a support animal.

sangreal

They're probably doing it in fear of being challenged I assume under ADA in some form. Moreso than for customer service.

I do agree a solution would be required oversight with an actual training requirement and certification. Owner must get the dog from an approved trainer, or take their existing animal for training at an approved facility. If it passes, then certification.

emotional support animals are not covered under the ADA. They are not service animals (which must be trained to perform a specific task)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The dog was not a labrador, lol:

060817-mundyGA-1a.jpg

This is common with a lot of bad pit bull owners, they claim their dog is a mixed labrador or somesuch breed to get around city ordinances which is another common problem.

The ADA does not recognize or cover any of these bullshit "emotional support" animals, Delta needs be sued over this incident and boot them all off their flights. Ridiculous this guy was taking a vicious fucking pittbull on his lap on the flight under the guise of a support animal.

Without getting into a futile argument about what is and isn't a PitBull (they are the sweetest breed, you know) that Mundy guy needs to go to jail and his dog needs to be removed from him.

emotional support animals are not covered under the ADA. They are not service animals
I assume they aren't. But I'm thinking a company doesn't want to deal with potentially settling a precedent and going through court proceedings.

Also the optics of "going after" those with ESAs.

sangreal

The definition of what is and isn't a pit bull is incredibly murky -- it's a type of dog, like "hound," rather than a specific breed. Plenty of dogs "look like" they could be some form of pit bull but aren't. But that's a topic of another thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom