• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inaba (Platinum Games): Bayonetta 2 would not exist without Nintendo

ArjanN

I don't get those so called "fans".

If I was a fan of Bayonetta 1 and then Nintendo would invest monies so that Bayonetta 2 can be created, I would be happy as fuck.

I mean their choice is: Getting Bayonetta 2 on Wii U. Or no Bayonetta 2 at all. Difficulty decision smh

If they don't want to buy a Wii U, then they are still getting EXACTLY the same as if Nintendo had not invested monies - no Bayonetta 2.

- Even if the sequel hadn't existed at all without Nintendo, it does exist now.
- People want to play this sequel.
- Not everyone can afford to get a Wii U.

No offense, but given these facts it's not very hard to understand how some people wouldn't be happy about the situation.

No offense, but given these facts it's not very hard to understand how some people wouldn't be happy about the situation.

The money argument doesn't make sense to me. How deep does that rabbit hole go?

If Bayonetta 2 were being made for 360/PS3 and I couldn't afford/didn't want to pay the $60 it costs, how reasonable would my indignation be?

methodman

Banned

-the game isn't even close to being released
-the console is not even released
-people can save money if they're such big fans of the game and purchase it And a console a year+ after its released when they have money
-if this is all too hard, when the game releases in 2 years just imagine it sucks because it's on a Nintendo console (which many people here were going to do anyways)

Blasty

So basically what your say is Nintendo, who's funding Bayonetta 2, should pay more money to have it ported to the PS3 and Xbox 360?

Shiggy

That Nintendo co-owns the rights to the games they published and funded (Zero 2 Wii, Zero 4 and Spirit Camera) is widely known and wasn't questioned by me or anyone else. However, what I am questioning is the claim that Nintendo actually co-owns the IP.

Here's proof that the IP is not co-owned by Nintendo:
zerotrademarkrpjvu.jpg

Boney

Banned

Yeah, basically, they're stealing our games!

Why isn't Pikmin 3 on Wii? I don't want to buy a Wii U to play it.
Why isn't Mario Kart 7 on DS? I don't want to buy a 3DS to play it.
Why isn't Earthbound on NES? I don't want to buy a SNES to play it.

Skilletor

some offense intended: That's childish as hell. Anybody with that logic given the circumstances of this game's revival should just ignore that the game exists.

Linkhero1

So how do those people plan on playing the next Halo and next *insert Sony franchise* for 720 and PS4? Will they not be able to afford those either? I bet they would be ecstatic if the game was announced on those platforms.

gogogow

Why isn't Pikmin 3 on Wii? I don't want to buy a Wii U to play it.
Why isn't Mario Kart 7 on DS? I don't want to buy a 3DS to play it.
Why isn't Earthbound on NES? I don't want to buy a SNES to play it.
That is quite different though. Those are Nintendo IP's, they would always be on the next Nintendo console/handheld. Bayonetta was a PS3/360 game and is now exclusive to another platform.

Most of these comments just sounds like Nintendo trolls though. I'm not talking about people here, I barely read the Bayonetta 2 announcement thread, but twitter comments directed towards Kamiya and Nintendo etc. At least now, for those genuinely interested in the Bayonetta franchise, they can lend a Wii U from friends/family or buy one if it's cheap. Maybe in the future there are enough games on the Wii U that these people want so that a purchase IS justified. Hell, even Bayonetta 3, 4, 5 are possible if it sells enough. Without Nintendo, they will NEVER EVER have the chance to play it.

And I still think for those that are mad, should direct their anger in the direction of Sony and/or MS and especially SEGA for not wanting to invest, publish the game. They did not make a Bayonetta 2 happen, Nintendo did.

I get the feeling that if Bayonetta 2 were on XBox 3 or PS4, the "I have to buy a new system?!" argument would not be quite so prevalent.
That would just be the same as GTA6 being on the PS4/720. Just like how GTA4 went to PS3/360 and not PS2/Xbox.

Linkhero1

That is quite different though. Those are Nintendo IP's, they would always be on the next Nintendo console/handheld. Bayonetta was a PS3/360 game and is now exclusive to another platform.

While this is true, his point is that you're going to need to buy a new console in order to play the next iteration of a franchise. That is, if they do not release the next iteration on the current console. People have never really complained about that before and I haven't seen this complaint until Bayonetta 2.

So in other words, a polite way of confirming, "Uh, we're sorry you feel betrayed and angry enough to wish we were dead, but the game wouldn't exist unless Nintendo was open to the project so get over it."

I remember when hardcore gaming meant a person enjoyed the hobby so much they bought as many systems and games as they could get their hands on, including imports and systems you might not have normally thought about getting (in my case that ended up being the PC Engine, Saturn, purchasing a PSX mainly for FF and Megaman and getting into JAMMA collecting). You did whatever it took to play the games you were interested in.

Now it apparently means throwing tantrums that a game is on a respective system and issuing death threats (death threats!) to the game's creator. Disgusting.

This whole Bayo 2 exclusive situation is about as embarassing and stupid as a hypothetical scenario where Arrested Development had a fringe group of fans who were outraged that season 4 is a Netflix exclusive and demanded it also appear on either Fox or Hulu plus and started harassing Mitchell Hurwitz and the cast online.

gogogow

While this is true, his point is that you're going to need to buy a new console in order to play the next iteration of a franchise. That is, if they do not release the next iteration on the current console. People have never really complained about that before and I haven't seen this complaint until Bayonetta 2.

Though I already explained it in my previous post. It's like COD MW4/GTA6 etc. going to Xbox720/PS4. It would be what people were expecting. With Bayonetta, it's different, it was a PS3/360 game going exclusive to a Nintendo platform. And the people complaining and have played Bayonetta most likely were gonna buy the next Sony/MS console. So if Bayo 2 were a PS4/720 game, I bet literally NO ONE would complain.

VariantX

I'm sorry, but the money argument is a bs argument. If that were the case then they wouldn't be buying the next MS or Sony console which will most likely, cost as much as or more than a Wii U. This whole mess is about it being on Nintendo hardware. There's no rationalizing this. It is what it is.

Though I already explained it in my previous post. It's like COD MW4/GTA6 etc. going to Xbox720/PS4. It would be what people were expecting. With Bayonetta, it's different, it was a PS3/360 game going exclusive to a Nintendo platform. And the people complaining and have played Bayonetta most likely were gonna buy the next Sony/MS console. So if Bayo 2 were a PS4/720 game, I bet literally NO ONE would complain.

Yeah. It would be like Final Fantasy going from SNES to PS1. Or Resident Evil from PS1 to Gamecube. Absolutely unthinkable and completely unseen in this industry, RAGE!!

Linkhero1

I pretty much agree with you, but there should be no reason for them to complain. It's either the game doesn't exist or it's released exclusively on the Wii U. It's sad to see some posts where people would rather have this game be non-existent than be on the Wii U.

Insignificant difference. People have been buying new consoles to play new video games for over 30 years, it's not going to change because some teenagers don't like the Wii brand. Bayonetta was a one-off third party title that didn't set the charts on fire, expecting it to stay "loyal" to the platform(s) companies that made the platform(s) one just happens to own is ridiculous.

These same people complaining probably would have bought bayonetta 2 if it came out on ps4 and XboxNext which would be more expensive than Wii-U

Edit: beaten by gogogow

wrowa

I get the feeling that if Bayonetta 2 were on XBox 3 or PS4, the "I have to buy a new system?!" argument would not be quite so prevalent.

To be fair that's mostly because most of the people who are complaining are the ones who expect a "generation leap" between two generations of new hardware. They are excited for PS4 and Xbox 3 because those console promise significantly improved graphics, they aren't excited for the Wii U since its just a small step up from what they're already playing on.

gogogow

I'm sorry, but the money argument is a bs argument. If that were the case then they wouldn't be buying the next MS or Sony console which will most likely, cost as much as or more than a Wii U. This whole mess is about it being on Nintendo hardware. There's no rationalizing this. It is what it is.

You CAN rationalize this. I'm just talking about the people who are genuinely dissapointed with Bayo 2 going Wii U exclusive and not those trolls who just want to stir shit up. There are people who were always gonna buy a PS4/720 and has no interest in the Wii U, but now in order to play Bayo 2 they have to shell at least another $360/€360 for one game.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

Exactly. And as it is, that's fair. I can see why I PS360 owner would feel that PS4/720 is a better option for a next gen purchase..

But stop being so disingenuous. Be honest about your preferences and biases.

Linkhero1

To be fair that's mostly because most of the people who are complaining are the ones who expect a "generation leap" between two generations of new hardware. They are excited for PS4 and Xbox 3 because those console promise significantly improved graphics, they aren't excited for the Wii U since its just a small step up from what they're already playing on.

Gamers shouldn't be complaining as long as the game they want to play is in existence. I can understand why some are upset, but to continuously complain and harass Platinum Games is beyond stupid.

gogogow

Insignificant difference. People have been buying new consoles to play new video games for over 30 years, it's not going to change because some teenagers don't like the Wii brand. Bayonetta was a one-off third party title that didn't set the charts on fire, expecting it to stay "loyal" to the platform(s) companies that made the platform(s) one just happens to own is ridiculous.

Yes, people will continue to buy consoles/handhelds to play videogames, what's your point? Doesn't change the fact that Bayonetta 2 is a very rare case. People mentioned FF, RE jumping ship, but how many times does it really happen?

And that is a very significant difference. What do people expect GTA6/MW4 to be released on?

A) Xbox 720/PS4
B) Wii U exclusive

It's all about expectation. Bayonetta fans, hell, the entirey of GAF expected a sequel to be released on PS3/360. Who here honestly wasn't shocked (in a good way or bad way) when it was announced to be a exclusive for the Wii U? People wouldn't be surprised or shocked if it was a "insignificant difference".

ArjanN

So basically what your say is Nintendo, who's funding Bayonetta 2, should pay more money to have it ported to the PS3 and Xbox 360?

Yeah, sure, that's clearly what I said.
Ugh.

I'm just saying it's pretty annoying that anyone who isn't happy about Bayo 2 being an exclusive is instantly labelled an entitled whiner in these threads.

Well, yeah.

I'm guessing most people will stick with the console by the same company, i.e. PS3 -> PS4, 360 -> 720, Wii -> Wii U. Not necessarily because they're fanboys, but because of the online infrastructure, their friends own those same systems, backwards compatibility, XBLA/PSN stuff that carries over etc.

So the Bayonetta fanbase probably doesn't overlap with people who were planning to get the Wii U as much as it does with people planning to get PS4/720.

Blasty

Are you for real? That is a very significant difference. What do people expect GTA6/MW4 to be released on?

A) Xbox 720/PS4
B) Wii U exclusive

It's all about expectation. Bayonetta fans, hell, the entirey of GAF expected a sequel to be released on PS3/360. Who here honestly wasn't shocked (in a good way or bad way) when it was announced to be a exclusive for the Wii U? People wouldn't be surprised or shocked if it was a "insignificant difference".

The analogy doesn't fit. Bayonetta 2 is funded by Nintendo.

Yeah, sure, that's clearly what I said.
Ugh.

I'm just saying it's pretty annoying that anyone who isn't happy about Bayo 2 being an exclusive is instantly labelled an entitled whiner in these threads.

Most of the people in these threads are whining. Why get mad at Platinum and Nintendo? Most people understand it would exist yet they continue to complain and get annoyed.

Llyranor

Are you for real? That is a very significant difference. What do people expect GTA6/MW4 to be released on?

A) Xbox 720/PS4
B) Wii U exclusive

Another expectation, based on the 'rumors', is that it had been cancelled. With Sega not doing great, there was a fear that it would never exist. So, yeah, this is a very pleasant surprise.

Anyway, I'm mostly done with console gaming ever since going back to the PC. Only Platinum and Treasure (S&P3!) can sway me back. At this point, it's inevitable I'll get a Wii U. Can't say the same about PS4/720.

wrowa

You CAN rationalize this. I'm just talking about the people who are genuinely dissapointed with Bayo 2 going Wii U exclusive and not those trolls who just want to stir shit up. There are people who were always gonna buy a PS4/720 and has no interest in the Wii U, but now in order to play Bayo 2 they have to shell at least another $360/€360 for one game.

I don't think I agree. Is this rationalization actually rational? Of course, it sucks that you won't be able to play the sequel to one of your favorite games unless you pay a large amount of money, but when the alternative is not being able to play the game ever I don't think that you can call that stance rational.

The rational reaction would be another one: Either not buying the game even though you'd like to play it (you wouldn't have been able to play the game otherwise anyway) or waiting a few years until both the console and the game dropped in price. Or play the game at a friend's place.

All of these solutions are better than wishing that the game would not exist. And with complaining about the current solution, you are doing exactly that.

(Well, not you exactly, but the people who complain about it despite knowing better)

Gamers shouldn't be complaining as long as the game they want to play is in existence. I can understand why some are upset, but to continuously complain and harass Platinum Games is beyond stupid.

I agree absolutely.

Linkhero1

Yes, people will continue to buy consoles/handhelds to play videogames, what's your point? Doesn't change the fact that Bayonetta 2 is a very rare case. People mentioned FF, RE jumping ship, but how many times does it really happen?

And that is a very significant difference. What do people expect GTA6/MW4 to be released on?

A) Xbox 720/PS4
B) Wii U exclusive

The difference between those titles and Bayonetta 2 is that Bayonetta 2 was dead up until Nintendo stepped in and revived it. People were more shocked that it was Nintendo who revived the ip more than anything.

gogogow

The analogy doesn't fit. Bayonetta 2 is funded by Nintendo.

It does fit, it is funded and published by Nintendo, that is why it's exclusive. Hypothetically, Nintendo could fund and publish MW4/GTA6, thus becoming a Wii U exclusive. If it happens, you don't think people would be shocked? Do you think that's what people would expect these games to appear on? And not on PS4/720?

Tellaerin

Most likely because the people who are complaining already had every intention of purchasing one of said systems, but didn't plan on dropping the money on a Wii U. And that's the crux of the matter, isn't it?

It seems the narrative that's being pushed here is that if you had no intention of buying a Wii U for whatever reason - the controller may not be to your taste, you may not be a big fan of Nintendo's first party stuff, or what have you - and you're reluctant to turn around and buy one anyway just because one third party game you're interested in has been announced as an exclusive, you're "childish". You're not permitted to express frustration at the fact that had the game been announced for another platform, you wouldn't be looking at a choice between dropping hundreds of dollars on a system you're probably not going to get much use out of otherwise, or passing on a game you're really interested in.

I understand that Nintendo's adherents want to see them do well, and hope that third-party exclusives like this will help drive system purchases. But for that to happen, the library's going to have to achieve a certain critical mass, where people who weren't particularly interested before will look at the Wii U and say, "There's a bunch of stuff coming out for this system that I'm interested in and won't be able to play anywhere else. This is worth buying," whether in addition to one of the other consoles or (for single-console purchasers) in place of one. Until that happens, though, you're going to see people getting annoyed about things like this, and I don't think that's unreasonable.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
It does fit, it is funded and published by Nintendo, that is why it's exclusive. Hypothetically, Nintendo could fund and publish MW4/GTA6, thus becoming a Wii U exclusive. If it happens, you don't think people would be shocked? Do you think that's what people would expect these games to appear on? And not on PS4/720?

MW4 and GTA6 were not dead, cancelled games.

It absolutely is a different scenario, assuming people read the OP in this thread.

Blasty

It doesn't. Those games weren't dead.

Maybe some people should strive to be more in touch with reality then. The announcement was not shocking because of the platform, it was shocking because someone actually decided to bring the game back from the dead.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

It is mostly an argument towards the "I have to pay x dollars to play this game" idea. Even if it is announced to PS4/720 you are still paying x dollars to play the game, in essence.

ArjanN

Maybe some people should strive to be more in touch with reality then. The announcement was not shocking because of the platform, it was shocking because someone actually decided to bring the game back from the dead.

It was shocking for both of those reasons, see the existance of this and similar threads for example.

Fine, replace MW4/GTA6 with some other game in development hell, like say, Beyond Good and Evil 2, Mirror's Edge 2, Shenmue 3, Final Fantasy versus XIII etc.

wrowa

It seems the narrative that's being pushed here is that if you had no intention of buying a Wii U for whatever reason - the controller may not be to your taste, you may not be a big fan of Nintendo's first party stuff, or what have you - and you're reluctant to turn around and buy one anyway just because one third party game you're interested in has been announced as an exclusive, you're "childish". You're not permitted to express frustration at the fact that had the game been announced for another platform, you wouldn't be looking at a choice between dropping hundreds of dollars on a system you're probably not going to get much use out of otherwise, or passing on a game you're really interested in.

This is not true at all.

Complaining about Bayonetta 2's situation is called "childish" by some, because the game wouldn't exist without Nintendo jumping in. Complaining that a game you're interested in is on the wrong plattform and wishing it dead rather than waiting a few years until you can play it for a reasonable price is what makes people say that.

No one would call any frustrated person childish if an actual, multi-million-selling blockbuster like CoD would suddenly become a Nintendo exclusive. The frustration in that case would be understandable, since CoD would've been released on other plattforms too under normal circumstances and is only exlcusive since someone is playing around with a lot of money behind the scenes. But this isn't the case with Bayonetta 2.

Linkhero1

Fine, replace MW4/GTA6 with some other game in development hell, like say, Beyond Good and Evil 2, Mirror's Edge 2, Shenmue 3, Final Fantasy versus XIII etc.

Shenmue 3 and Mirror's Edge 2 were in development? I didn't realize BGE2 and Versus XIII were canned.

BlackJace

I've heard and seen many people on this board proclaim that they'd buy whatever the fuck platform that game came out on. You're missing the point that the chance to play a game they love should supersede what platform it's on.

ArjanN

Are those games dead?

About as dead as Bayonetta 2 was.

This is not true at all.

Complaining about Bayonetta 2's situation is called "childish" by some, because the game wouldn't exist without Nintendo jumping in. Complaining that a game you're interested in is on the wrong plattform and wishing it dead rather than waiting a few years until you can play it for a reasonable price is what makes people say that.

I've seen no-one here saying they don't want to game to exist at all.

It is mostly an argument towards the "I have to pay x dollars to play this game" idea. Even if it is announced to PS4/720 you are still paying x dollars to play the game, in essence.

Quoting myself from earlier post:

I'm guessing most people will stick with the console by the same company, i.e. PS3 -> PS4, 360 -> 720, Wii -> Wii U. Not necessarily because they're fanboys, but because of the online infrastructure, their friends own those same systems, backwards compatibility, XBLA/PSN stuff that carries over etc.

So the Bayonetta fanbase probably doesn't overlap with people who were planning to get the Wii U as much as it does with people planning to get PS4/720.

About as dead as Bayonetta 2 was.

I've seen no-one here saying they don't want to game to exist at all.

Quoting myself from earlier post:

Most people will stay with their console? Haha. This entire generation is a counter to that argument. The biggest network was on the Playstation family, it moved to Wii and 360, split between the hardcore who bought Wii at first and 360 later, and the massive influx of casual purchasers.

Never assume that one generation will operate the same as the last.

ArjanN

I've heard and seen many people on this board proclaim that they'd buy whatever the fuck platform that game came out on. You're missing the point that the chance to play a game they love should supersede what platform it's on.

I'm not missing that point at all.

I was using Shenmue 3 as an exampe of a dead game that if announced as an exclusive plenty of people would complain about it being exclusive.

Shenmue might not be the best example because that series has been "dead" for much longer so people wouldn't really have much expectations of what platform a sequel would be on.

Sadist

I'm still surprised people are still arguing about the fact "well people being disappointed about Bayo 2's exclusivity to Wii U is not wrong". Guys, we get you're disappointed. But you need to realise it won't be any different even if you keep repeating it. It's on Wii U. You either buy it or you don't. It's really that simple.

gogogow

It absolutely is a different scenario, assuming people read the OP in this thread.

The difference between those titles and Bayonetta 2 is that Bayonetta 2 was dead up until Nintendo stepped in and revived it. People were more shocked that it was Nintendo who revived the ip more than anything.

It was a dead game/franchise, so that would make it a bit more tricky to compare it with other games in existence, but I do not agree to call it a "absolutely different scenario". In the end of the day it's about a multiplatform game going exclusive, to a platform you do not expect it to. People would not be as shocked if it was going either PS3 or 360 exclusive.

Anyway, i'm glad Nintendo decided to fund PG and I hope there will be many more sequels. The Wii U hasn't been released yet and there are already several games i'm interested in and of course that includes Bayonetta 2.

ArjanN

Most people will stay with their console? Haha. This entire generation is a counter to that argument. The biggest network was on the Playstation family, it moved to Wii and 360, split between the hardcore who bought Wii at first and 360 later, and the massive influx of casual purchasers.

Never assume that one generation will operate the same as the last.

I mostly meant the people who played the first Bayonetta.

And I expect the brand loyalty to be bigger than with the previous generational shift, because it lasted longer, and the online community, downloadable games, etc is IMO probably keeping people on board more.

BlackJace

I'm not missing that point at all.

I was using Shenmue 3 as an exampe of a dead game that if announced as an exclusive plenty of people would complain about it being exclusive.

Shenmue might not be the best example because that series has been "dead" for much longer so people wouldn't really have much expectations of what platform a sequel would be on.

If a game has been dead for years and is now back from the dead, why does it matter what platform is on?

You finally get the chance to play a series you claim to "love".
It's like complaining about that iPad you've always wanted because it's wrapped up in orange wrapping paper; your least favorite color.

Top Bottom