• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inaba (Platinum Games): Bayonetta 2 would not exist without Nintendo

Boney

Banned
Don't get me wrong. I played and enjoyed all of those games because I'm a fan of the characters, but I can appreciate some of the criticisms leveled against them as well.

nono I mean, AntMurda was correct, those games sucked except this other one

I'm not denying they might get it in the future and what not. But they only own publishing rights to Bayo2 as of right now and Sega still owns the ip.

Forever

Banned
During the recent Japanese Nintendo Direct broadcast, Nintendo showed the teaser to Bayonetta 2. Now after the presentation the title as well as copyright owners of the clips, teasers, videos etc. shown during the presentation were displayed. Every single game displayed had its copyright owner and title shown except Bayonetta 2.

Another thing is if you visit Platinum Games's website and go through the information on all the games that Platinum Games have developed you will find things like the "release date", "title of the game", "developer", "publisher", "copyright owner" etc all displayed for the particular game that you selected. Clicking on games like Wonderful 101 will show you that the IP is owned by Nintendo/Platinum Games likewise clicking on Metal Gear Revengance will show you that the IP is owned by Konami.

Here is where it gets a bit tricky. If you click on Bayonetta 1 it shows information like "release date", "title of the game", "developer", "publisher", "copyright owner". Now the copyright owner of Bayonetta 1 is indeed Sega but if you click on Bayonetta 2 you will see that the owner of the copyright has not been stated. The absence of copyright owners name during Nintendo's Wii U preview event as well as Platinum Games website lack of information on Bayonetta 2's copyright owner leads me to believe that Nintendo might have bought or is in the process of buying the IP.
Good sleuthing.

Majukun

During the recent Japanese Nintendo Direct broadcast, Nintendo showed the teaser to Bayonetta 2. Now after the presentation the title as well as copyright owners of the clips, teasers, videos etc. shown during the presentation were displayed. Every single game displayed had its copyright owner and title shown except Bayonetta 2.

Another thing is if you visit Platinum Games's website and go through the information on all the games that Platinum Games have developed you will find things like the "release date", "title of the game", "developer", "publisher", "copyright owner" etc all displayed for the particular game that you selected. Clicking on games like Wonderful 101 will show you that the IP is owned by Nintendo/Platinum Games likewise clicking on Metal Gear Revengance will show you that the IP is owned by Konami.

Here is where it gets a bit tricky. If you click on Bayonetta 1 it shows information like "release date", "title of the game", "developer", "publisher", "copyright owner". Now the copyright owner of Bayonetta 1 is indeed Sega but if you click on Bayonetta 2 you will see that the owner of the copyright has not been stated. The absence of copyright owners name during Nintendo's Wii U preview event as well as Platinum Games website lack of information on Bayonetta 2's copyright owner leads me to believe that Nintendo might have bought or is in the process of buying the IP.

sega already declared itself as an "advisor" in the game's development..so they still have something to do with the franchise...
A future acquisition is possible,but i think that right now the Ip still is Sega's property

Zekes!

You know what be awesome? If Treasure made "insert Nintendo game"! (Wario World sucked)

You know what be awesome? If Team Ninja made "insert Nintendo game" (Metroid Other M hyperbole GAF hate)

You know what be awesome? If Namco made "insert Nintendo game" (Star Fox Assault sucked)

You know what be awesome? If RARE made "insert Nintendo game" (Star Fox Adventures y'all)

I actually liked Wario World and Metroid Other M (minus the story aspects). And I enjoyed Star Fox Assault and Adventures

Come at me GAF

zroid

Banned
The memory of AV and F-Zero GX remains strong with us all :)

Also if you're going to cite Rare and SFA, then their work with the Donkey Kong series is equally meaningful.

And let's not forget Super Mario RPG.

TreIII

sega already declared itself as an "advisor" in the game's development..so they still have something to do with the franchise...
A future acquisition is possible,but i think that right now the Ip still is Sega's property

Perhaps Nintendo and Sega are sharing ownership for right now, until the "adoption papers" are in full order.

Considering that Sega already sold the rights to Guilty Gear and The Rumble Fish back to their respective developers sometime earlier this year, I don't think it's too far-fetched to think that Sega is just going to sell off another IP that they have no further plans to use.

AniHawk

I think it's an interesting question because I suspect a lot of the series' fans have an inclination towards PS3/Wii this gen rather than PS3/360. But, then again, any game going exclusive to a Nintendo platform will undoubtedly cause pitchforks to rise.

maybe microsoft. the gamecube had skies of arcadia, so the series did have some life there before.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Suddenly I realize the game equivalent of this scenario.

Bayonetta 2 is Cereza and Bayonetta is Nintendo?

Personally I won't be satisfied until Nintendo resurrects every Sega IP in existence.

Also lol@any gamer who feels entitled to a series on their preferred console. That ship sailed with Final Fantasy 7

Personally I won't be satisfied until Nintendo resurrects every Sega IP in existence.

Also lol@any gamer who feels entitled to a series on their preferred console. That ship sailed with Final Fantasy 7

Could you even imagine Nintendo owning every Sega IP? It would be beyond insane. They would need like 30 teams to reasonably give all of them and Nintendo's own properties a chance.

I actually liked Wario World and Metroid Other M (minus the story aspects). And I enjoyed Star Fox Assault and Adventures

Come at me GAF

:Internet high five:

I also liked both Assault and Adventure. I genuinely enjoyed Other M and Wario World. World being one of the few titles I've completed multiple times. Too much hate. :(

Meelow

Banned
Imagine if Nintendo announced Shenmue 3 Wii U exclusive as well, would people have meltdowns because it's Nintendo exclusive or would people be happy that we would finally be getting it?

ffdgh

Imagine if Nintendo announced Shenmue 3 Wii U exclusive as well, would people have meltdowns because it's Nintendo exclusive or would people be happy that we would finally be getting it?

Hmm some sega fans are still bitter towards sony so its a tough call.

If Bayonetta 2 was announced an Xbox 360 or PS3 exclusive how would the response be?

I think some people are more afraid that this will start to become a trend with the Wii U "stealing" "their" game from their non-Nintendo system.

If developers don't have the money to make the games they want, shouldn't we be happy that a company regardless of if it's Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft helps them out to make their dream game come true?

Setsuna

Why don't people get mad at Microsoft/Sony for not giving a fuck about Bayonetta? The way Inaba is talking, they were certainly shopping it.

Any vitriol thrown at Platinum makes no sense whatsoever.

well sony had to help make bayonetta playable on ps3 after it was released

so its understanable why they would pay platinum to create it exclusive to the system they couldn't develop for

Rarity

If Bayonetta 2 was announced an Xbox 360 or PS3 exclusive how would the response be?

I think some people are more afraid that this will start to become a trend with the Wii U "stealing" "their" game from their non-Nintendo system.

If developers don't have the money to make the games they want, shouldn't we be happy that a company regardless of if it's Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft helps them out to make their dream game come true?

I'd imagine the response wouldn't be as passionately misguided as it has been.

As for your last question, we certainly should be happy with this outcome considering the alternative. That there are two threads on this topic filled with as much negativity as excitement is sad.

I didn't buy the first one but I played it and it's really a great game. This said I don't understand why such a strong community around the game can act like this.
If I was Inaba I would be very deceived my fanbase could act so weird when I know I did my best so the game can come out anyway.

I guess stupid people is stupid (and the post above summarize it perfectly).

1268854-they_took_our_jobs_super.jpeg

DEY TOOK UUR GAYMES!

AniHawk

the series never really left sega consoles so i don't think it would matter much. shenmue ii was on the xbox, but it sold like shit, so it's not like xbox fans really care about the series.

shenmue ii was rad though. i hope if they do a hd port thing that it's off the dc euro version with the subtitles. the english va was fucking garbage.

wildfire

Banned

This guy must be a political pundit full time. Few people could make so many underhanded burns.

And the reward for their loyalty is to be told the game they want effectively costs them $360 or $410. I try to think about how I'd have felt if, say, Red Dead Redemption was an exclusive on a console I didn't own, or didn't yet exist, and I'd probably burst a blood vessel.

But Nintendo isn't doing this out of altruism for the series, they want to sell consoles, and give their machine a chance with a type of gamer who needs a good deal of coaxing to buy a second console—especially one that comes so late in its hardware generation.

None of this excuses the extreme hatred and circus-floor dung hurled at Platinum, or the Twitter tantrums, or laughable revenge fantasies such as this one.

This is like chaos on bullshit mountain.

I think they don't like the idea of having to pay $410 bucks to play it.

So no sequels on any next gen consoles then, huh? Cause in the PS720 case it'd be closer to $460 or $510. Certainly FAAAAAAAAR too rich for some people's spendthrifty ultra refined palates. Nintendo should use their casual gimmick money hoard and THANKS US for telling them to downport it to PS360 because WE FUCKING DESERVE IT. Oh no wait, this argument is moot because Wii U isn't a next gen console is it, AMIFUCKINRITEGAIZ?!!?! OH SHIT

The irrationality of the internet knows no bounds.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Bayonetta 2 doesn't exist to me as long as it's WiiU exclusive so same result from my point of view.
YJe9J.jpg

When those Bayonetta 2 gifs start popping up you will be salty as fuck.
I cant wait, im gonna work my ass off to capture and post as many Bayonetta 2 gifs as possible, spoilers be damned!!

Ps3 i think people might lose it, Xbox 360 i think no one would be too angry, the Vanilla version of Bayonetta on PS3 was special.

We should, I think most of the angry people are pissed because they werent planning on getting a Wii U and Bayonetta just so happens to be one of their favorite games....like me, i still play Bayonetta today, i was planning on skipping the Wii U and upgrading my PC instead, but now im not upgrading and im buying a Wii U as soon as Bayonetta 2 drops........people just need to grit their teeth and take this news on the chin.

Either take Gokurakumarus approach and ignore the game entirely, or take my route and accept that the Wii U is the only way to play this game.

wrowa

Okay. Here is a trailer for Project Zero 2: Wii Edition with the copyright information. As you can see at the end of the trailer Nintendo owns the copyright to the IP.

The only thing you can read into that copyright information is that Nintendo co-owns the copyrights to Project Zero 2: Wii Edition (which is not surprising in the least considering that they've funded the development and published it). The same was already in place for Zero 4. However, saying that Nintendo co-owns the whole IP because of that information is a classical case of "jumping to conclussions".

jimi_dini

I don't get those so called "fans".

If I was a fan of Bayonetta 1 and then Nintendo would invest monies so that Bayonetta 2 can be created, I would be happy as fuck.

I mean their choice is: Getting Bayonetta 2 on Wii U. Or no Bayonetta 2 at all. Difficulty decision smh

If they don't want to buy a Wii U, then they are still getting EXACTLY the same as if Nintendo had not invested monies - no Bayonetta 2.

stilgar

Platinum Fans pissed because a franchise is becoming Nintendo exclusive.

The 90's called, they want their Nintendo/Sega pissing contest back.

TDLink

The only thing you can read into that copyright information is that Nintendo co-owns the copyrights to Project Zero 2: Wii Edition (which is not surprising in the least considering that they've funded the development and published it). The same was already in place for Zero 4. However, saying that Nintendo co-owns the whole IP because of that information is a classical case of "jumping to conclussions".

Alternatively, you have been presented with news articles and official video stating they co-own the IP and instead of admitting you are wrong are trying anything possible to be right. I'll be honest, I hate when people do that. There comes a point when you have lost a debate, typically when you are presented with a cold hard fact. This is that point. Nintendo co-owns Fatal Frame, 'nuff said.

Shiggy

Project Zero 4 and Project Zero 2: Wii Edition cannot be released on other platforms or without Nintendo's consent as Nintendo co-owns the copyrights to these games, just as you say.

The "Project Zero" trademark is solely owned by Tecmo Koei. The same holds true for "Fatal Frame". Nintendo does NOT co-own these trademarks.

wrowa

Alternatively, you have been presented with news articles and official video stating they co-own the IP and instead of admitting you are wrong are trying anything possible to be right. I'll be honest, I hate when people do that. There comes a point when you have lost a debate, typically when you are presented with a cold hard fact. This is that point. Nintendo co-owns Fatal Frame, 'nuff said.

I accept solid sources, I don't accept claims. A random website saying "apparently Nintendo co-owns the franchise now" and a copyright claim at the end of the trailer for one specific entry of the series (which was funded and published by Nintendo no less) are not solid sources for the claim that Nintendo co-owns the whole franchise.

magash

Project Zero 2: Wii Edition is a remake of Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly. According to Nintendo's Game Copyrights web page the copyright to the game is owned by both Nintendo and Tecmo Koei.

Nintendo also partly owns Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir

Shiggy

Project Zero 2: Wii Edition is a remake of Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly. According to Nintendo's Game Copyrights web page the copyright to the game is owned by both Nintendo and Tecmo Koei.

Please read my post again. The Project Zero & Fatal Frame trademarks are still solely owned by Tecmo Koei. We don't have any information on the older games, we only know that the copyright for PZ4 and PZ2: Wii Edition are jointly owned.

In contrast to that, Spirit Camera is a Nintendo-only owned IP. They share the copyrights for the 3DS iteration with Tecmo Koei though.

All in all, unless there are some secret contracts, Tecmo Koei can still release Project Zero titles on their own, but not Spirit Camera games.

wrowa

We are not talking about the individual games, but about the franchise.

Keep in mind, this is the post I was repsonding to.

Nintendo partnered to publish Fatal Frame and we later learned that they acquired partial ownership of the IP, it's no longer quite so clear that Sega has 100% ownership.

That Nintendo co-owns the rights to the games they published and funded (Zero 2 Wii, Zero 4 and Spirit Camera) is widely known and wasn't questioned by me or anyone else. However, what I am questioning is the claim that Nintendo actually co-owns the IP.

Top Bottom