• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inaba (Platinum Games): Bayonetta 2 would not exist without Nintendo

VariantX

Uhh of course? When you don't want and don't have any plans to buy an expensive console because nothing looks good on it, and then something like this happens, of course people are going to be upset. I wouldn't want to spend $350+ for one game either.

It's still illogical. Those people are basically saying nintendo isn't allowed to do anything to improve its software library simply because they don't want the hardware. I guess if more partnerships for software happen down the road heads will explode.

mclem

And we know it's the only way the sequel could happen. So the whining has no base, no logic at all. It's just irrational and emotional behaviour with no ties to the reality of the games' development.

Nah. It's perfectly reasonable to be unhappy about it.

I mean, given the economic reality of games development, it also makes sense for there not to be a Mirror's Edge 2, Beyond Good and Evil 2, Shenmue 3 etc. You can accept the fact that it's not in the cards but you don't have to be happy about it.

Twitter deaththreats and such are stupid, but calling everyone who doesn't like this a whiner is as fanboyish as the "Nintendo is for babies" thing.

I think you're talking about different 'its'.

It's perfectly reasonable to be unhappy about the circumstances that caused this to be necessary. That is, as you put it, a reality of the industry as it currently stands, and it *does* suck.

It's not reasonable to be unhappy about the fact that the game's actually being made. A game that interests you is now going to exist, when previously it was not. That is an awesome thing.

DCharlie

Banned
I really, really dislike the way they took out the original art, sad fairytale story and boss designs, and replaced it with a more mainstream, "animu" style. I've not played it myself, so I assume/hope that the gameplay is intact (other than the different boss fights, I suppose). So it might still be a good game, but it's definitely not the same game, and it instead looks decidedly less unique. And that's a damn shame.

I haven't played a ton of the remake yet, but i've got it and put in maybe a couple of hours. I think it looks fine - i prefer the originals are style, but it's not a disaster IMO. Game play is as it was, so no big quibbles.

Derrick01

Banned
It's still illogical. Those people are basically saying nintendo isn't allowed to do anything to improve its software library simply because they don't want the hardware. I guess if more partnerships for software happen down the road heads will explode.

If more happens down the road people will definitely get angrier since it will mean games will be exclusive to the weakest platform. It's a bit different now with Bayonetta because that would have been a 360/ps3 game most likely. I guess going by that other thread people didn't take that very well either though. I didn't go there when it was happening so I missed the fun.

Dascu

I haven't played a ton of the remake yet, but i've got it and put in maybe a couple of hours. I think it looks fine - i prefer the originals are style, but it's not a disaster IMO. Game play is as it was, so no big quibbles.

It's more than the artstyle, they've changed NPCs, boss encounters (which were really unique) and the storyline (which had a fantastic bittersweet ending). I can only suggest to play the Wii original too if you have the chance.

If more happens down the road people will definitely get angrier since it will mean games will be exclusive to the weakest platform. It's a bit different now with Bayonetta because that would have been a 360/ps3 game most likely. I guess going by that other thread people didn't take that very well either though. I didn't go there when it was happening so I missed the fun.

These people don't seem to give a shit when console exclusive get announced when the PC destroys them right now. Be real, people are only fucking pissed because its a Nintendo console. Hell if this had been announced for Vita last year everyone would have been praising Sony to high heavens for saving the game even though Vita is much weaker than the Wii U. None of this has anything to do with power.

also you don't have to buy the system when Bayonetta 2 comes out...you can wait for it to drop in price, for a friend to get one you can borrow.

and buy then at least 10 non-nintendo games of quality will be out and who knows maybe you can even try out some Nintendo games and maybe you will enjoy some of those.

I wanted to play siome of Microsoft's exclusive RPGs...so i waited for price drops and I jumped on it. Along the way I played a bunch of other games too.

this whole thing really isn't a big deal...at all. It's not like if you don't buy it day 1, it will go away forever and it's not like the Wii U will stay the same price all the time. And it will get enough games to make it worth it.

Some of you need to open up your horizons.

Derrick01

Banned
These people don't seem to give a shit when console exclusive get announced when the PC destroys them right now. Be real, people are only fucking pissed because its a Nintendo console. Hell if this had been announced for Vita last year everyone would have been praising Sony to high heavens for saving the game even though Vita is much weaker than the Wii U. None of this has anything to do with power.

I think it has to do with power and intent to purchase. There are a ton of people who don't want to buy a Wii U as it is now and 1 game isn't going to change that. I don't care about Bayonetta so I have to put myself in their shoes, and if something like Thief 4 was Wii U exclusive I'd likely lose my shit too.

I think it has to do with power and intent to purchase. There are a ton of people who don't want to buy a Wii U as it is now and 1 game isn't going to change that. I don't care about Bayonetta so I have to put myself in their shoes, and if something like Thief 4 was Wii U exclusive I'd likely lose my shit too.

If Thief 4 was going to be cancelled and Nintendo saved it and you were still mad I would say that it is fucking pathetic to be mad. I can understand if Bayonetta was going to come out on PS3/360 and Nintendo stole it away instead of being happy the game exists in some form for people to play some people would rather it have stayed cancelled. People are saying it's basically the same as being cancelled because I don't want a Wii U. What fucking myopic way to look at it. Even if you don't get it at least some fans will get to play the sequel and you can play it at a friends house or something. People literally would rather have the games not made and it's honestly pathetic to watch.

I-hate-u

Even though I like Bayonetta and am freaking upset the game is not coming to console I already own, there is no way I am going to shell for a new system before I see what the other 2 do.

DCharlie

Banned
It's more than the artstyle, they've changed NPCs, boss encounters (which were really unique) and the storyline (which had a fantastic bittersweet ending). I can only suggest to play the Wii original too if you have the chance.

i've played the Wii original (in English) - though obviously i'm playing this in Japanese nothing major has changed so far, just the art that i don't particularly dislike.

I -should- play more of it , loved the Wii version. Just burried in "too many games on the Vita" (gasp) :D

If Thief 4 was going to be cancelled and Nintendo saved it and you were still mad I would say that it is fucking pathetic to be mad

this, basically.

Death Tank was one of the Sega Saturn's greatest multiplayer games. It was a game that I and my friends would play for hours, and was more fun than just about any other multiplayer experience I can think of - especially on seven-player mode.

The sequel was announced for the 360 - a console I didn't own and hadn't appealed to me at that point.

So I bought the 360, played Death Tank, and also discovered Lost Odyssey, Shadow Complex and Crackdown - games I had previously not paid much attention to. Purchasing the console for one exclusive broadened my horizons and gave me access to some brilliant games.

I'd like to hope that Bayonetta fans will have a similar experience, especially if they've previously not really followed Nintendo's diverse software.

Derrick01

Banned
If Thief 4 was going to be cancelled and Nintendo saved it and you were still mad I would say that it is fucking pathetic to be mad. I can understand if Bayonetta was going to come out on PS3/360 and Nintendo stole it away instead of being happy the game exists in some form for people to play some people would rather it have stayed cancelled. People are saying it's basically the same as being cancelled because I don't want a Wii U. What fucking myopic way to look at it. Even if you don't get it at least some fans will get to play the sequel and you can play it at a friends house or something. People literally would rather have the games not made and it's honestly pathetic to watch.

Yeah there's the difference I guess. Thief 4 (probably...) isn't in danger of being cancelled. Supposedly it was even pushed back to 720/ps4. I agree if the game isn't going to happen then just be glad it's alive at all.

If Bayo2 was exclusive to a non-Nintendo platform I bet you there wouldn't be half the moaning this is atm.

Complaining about its exclusivity is like complaining about PC only games.
Its the only platform it could ever be made for.

Fact is this should make gamers happy - instead a bunch of people are moaning.
The idea that companies might pay for fan favourites in order to please their fan base is great and would help make more sequels to cult favourites.

This is very important going into the AAAA market as financial pressures are heaped onto projects by publishers.

If Bayo2 was exclusive to a non-Nintendo platform I bet you there wouldn't be half the moaning this is atm.

Complaining about its exclusivity is like complaining about PC only games.
Its the only platform it could ever be made for.

Fact is this should make gamers happy - instead a bunch of people are moaning.
The idea that companies might pay for fan favourites in order to please their fan base is great and would help make more sequels to cult favourites.

This is very important going into the AAAA market as financial pressures are heaped onto projects by publishers.

Actually I really don't like the concept of moneyhatted exclusives, but when a game is going to die you bet your ass I want anyone and everyone to try and save it if its a series I love. I hated that instead of building a lot of cool new games Microsoft spent probably hundreds of millions on all those exclusives that went to PS3 eventually anyway. I wish Nintendo had stepped in for Legends 3

I caught that edit. So someone has to be a Nintendo fan to appreciate Wii's 3rd party games now?Get over yourself

yes i edit because some hiperzealot nintendo fans like you will take as a attack,guess what i was correct.

yes,the only people who i have read that "third party support for wii was better than xbox or ps3" are nintendo fans.who else will have that argument?.

I believe him, but i don't think it matters.

Its like Lebron addressing cleveland insisting they should be happy, his championship ring wouldn't exist without Miami.

Cleveland couldn't care less. If Wonder 100 wasn't coming out on the platform as well, it probably wouldn't be so hard for butthurt fans to fathom.

King_Moc

Banned
The 'Hardcore' say that they don't want the Wii as there is no hardcore games.

Then Nintendo gets some hardcore games and they still moan, making it obvious that they just don't want anything with 'Nintendo' written on the side of it.

If you wanted Bayonetta 2, face it, this is the only way it could have happened. No one else was willing to fund it. If you still won't buy Wii U, then bad luck. You can ask me for impressions or watch a Youtube video or something.

well good thing Bayonetta 2 isn't the only game on the system.

This is the sentiment I don't get.

Unless all you do is play Bayonetta like action games (In which the only system you should own is a Ps3), there will be at least 10 games on the Wii U worth playing. Even if you hate Nintendo games (and they too will have games outside the mario and zeldas and minigame collections), there will be 10 wii U only games that would make your purchase worth it.

and hell by then it could be cheaper, a gaffer could sell it, you could win the lottery...who the fuck knows?

"I don't want to buy the system for one game" is a legit reason but there will be more than one game for it...soooooo whats the big deal.

and for me the wii was worth it and I'm a guy who outside of the Galaxy games and Smash bros, was a bit let down by Nintendo's core franchises this gen.

But Sin and Punishment, Sonic Colors, Muramusa, Xenoblade, Trauma Team, TvC, MH3Tri, and such were all great games (I know two of them are Nintendo games..technically but still).

I get not wanting to make the Wii U your system of choice...that's fine but pls stop acting like it's only gonna get this one game you like.

The days of buying one console are gone...and before you say bu-but I don't have that kinda money...well neither do I..shit I didn't have a job then either but guess what this hobby is fucking expensive. You are going to pay top dollar for whatever system you do choose...AND who's to say those will have the amazing libraries people expect? Microsoft is going for that family cash and Sony is losing money out the anus and probably will fuck up something again (599 us dollars 2 : Electric Boogaloo). If you are able to have an open mind to what those non-existent consoles will get then have one with this one. Its already off to a better start than the Wii with this game here.

basically can we wait before writing anything off? For all you know Nintendo is gonna go Captain Save a Ho on all these dead franchises. It could save Japan games and thus have a ton of games worth buying. It's silly to write off any console

yes i edit because some hiperzealot nintendo fans like you will take as a attack,guess what i was correct.

yes,the only people who i have read that "third party support for wii was better than xbox or ps3" are nintendo fans.who else will have that argument?.

Oh now I'm a hyperzealot Nintendo fan okay. I don't see anyone saying the 3rd party support for the Wii was better than the PS3/360. I see one person saying a single game on the Wii was better than many games on the PS3/360 which is certainly left to tastes not whether someone is a HYPERZEALOT NINTENDO FAN. But do go on and continue to shoehorn anyone with a different opinion than you into corner. Please

Do you ever post in a Nintendo-related thread without resorting to namecalling? Just saying.

Shut up zealot!

rpmurphy

Do you ever post in a Nintendo-related thread without resorting to namecalling? Just saying.

Derrick01

Banned
well good thing Bayonetta 2 isn't the only game on the system.

Except it is for a lot of people right now.

It's hard for a lot of people to buy a Nintendo system on faith that it will get games when they've had dreadful third party support for almost 2 decades now. You can say there will be at least 10 games but in my instance I couldn't find 3 that I enjoyed on the Wii. So why would I take that gamble with Wii U?

As someone who will be getting a Wii U anyways and doesnt really care about this game, i still am glad this happened in some ways. It really proves how insane the bias against nintendo is with some people. This type of thing really draws those kind of people right out into the light where they can be seen in full.

Nintendo got this bad reputation with that crowd of gamer by its history of appealing to large demographics rather than only males age 13-35. I dont think Nintendo will ever fully shake that image. Identity based consumerism is very, very real.

I have said the Wii is the best console this gen. I play PC/iOS more than any console combined, does that make me a fanboy now?

There are a lot third party games from PS3/360 that are available on PC, which reinforces my opinion about the Wii.

Derrick, just to be sure you mean Nintendo home consoles since the DS/3DS are getting tons of third support. :p

JoeFu

Banned
So uh the 1 game for Wii U is more than the 0 announced for the next ms/Sony system right? Or is my math wrong.... not sure why people are so caught up on consoles instead of games.

Kacho

It's sad how some people use the words "Nintendo fan" as if it has some kind of negative connotation. The argument over which consoles had better third party games is entirely subjective, so no one is right or wrong. Let's stop with the name calling.

If the acquisition of Bayonetta 2 is any indication, I fear the worst if Nintendo happens to score another exclusive for the Wii U. Particularly with a franchise that is not dead and extremely popular.

It's hard for a lot of people to buy a Nintendo system on faith that it will get games when they've had dreadful third party support for almost 2 decades now. You can say there will be at least 10 games but in my instance I couldn't find 3 that I enjoyed on the Wii. So why would I take that gamble with Wii U?

lol Wii sucks so WIi U will too

Dude what the fuck is this shit? Do you really think like this? Can people's minds not open up?

Jesus it's fine if you say you don't want any games but for fucks sake don't resort to something like that.
Also,
Mass Effect 3
Batman
Tekken Tag 2
Black Ops 2
Scribblenauts
Monster Hunter Ultimate
New Super Mario. Bros U
Nintendo Land
Rayman
ZombiU
Rayman Rabbids

NONE of that interest anybody? I said wow.

If Thief 4 was on the Wii U I would also lose my shit and buy it day 1.

Really? You couldn't find more than 3 games on the console worth playing? So Mario Galaxy...you didn't like it? Xenoblade? Muramusa? SaP2? You obviously have distinct tastes.

I'm not gonna act like the Wii's non-nintendo library was gdlk. You had to search hard as fuck to find great games as there was a lot of shit but damn....not even 3 games?

Then that's legit I guess.

But hey who knows maybe in a few years Nintendo will get/make more games that you do like. There's no harm in waiting to see.

Dude what the fuck is this shit? Do you really think like this? Can people's minds not open up?

Jesus it's fine if you say you don't want any games but for fucks sake don't resort to something like that.
Also,
Mass Effect 3
Batman
Tekken Tag 2
Black Ops 2
Scribblenauts
Monster Hunter Ultimate
New Super Mario. Bros U
Nintendo Land
Rayman
ZombiU
Rayman Rabbids

To be fair
This really isn't a great example because 4 of those are coming/already out on other systems.

Meelow

Banned
It's sad how some people use the words "Nintendo fan" as if it has some kind of negative connotation. The argument over which consoles had better third party games is entirely subjective, so no one is right or wrong. Let's stop with the name calling.

If the acquisition of Bayonetta 2 is any indication, I fear the worst if Nintendo happens to score another exclusive for the Wii U. Particularly with a franchise that is not dead and extremely popular.

Grand Theft Auto V Wii U exclusive

Believe

Don't even joke about that.

Lol why?

I 100% doubt it's going to happen.

King_Moc

Banned

Also,
Mass Effect 3
Batman
Tekken Tag 2
Black Ops 2
Scribblenauts
Monster Hunter Ultimate
New Super Mario. Bros U
Nintendo Land
Rayman
ZombiU
Rayman Rabbids

It's pretty obvious that some people won't like a game that has Nintendo on it somewhere. I bet you'll even get people arguing that identical third party conversions on Wii U are somehow worse.

Also,
Mass Effect 3
Batman
Tekken Tag 2
Black Ops 2
Scribblenauts
Monster Hunter Ultimate
New Super Mario. Bros U
Nintendo Land
Rayman
ZombiU
Rayman Rabbids

Half of those are on other platforms, two are touch screen minigame collections, and let's say for example he doesn't like platformers that much.

Drago

Also,
Mass Effect 3
Batman
Tekken Tag 2
Black Ops 2

^^^On other platforms

Scribblenauts
Monster Hunter Ultimate
New Super Mario. Bros U
Nintendo Land (lol)
Rayman
ZombiU
Rayman Rabbids (lololololol)

Just saying, these aren't the best examples

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I wonder how many people have fully internalized that Bayonetta 2 is not a launch game for Wii U. Isn't it still early in development on Wii U, despite PC preparations? I would assume it's like a year away.

That's a lot of time for everyone to see what direction the wind blows for Wii U, what happens with 3rd party support, Japan getting on board, etc.

Another thing... why would hardcore fans of 'traditional' games be upset at the prospect of Wii U become the official Japanese game console w/ the majority of Japanese support? There's all this noise this gen about how Japan can't handle large scale, western style game development. How they do better on portables and working with limited technology and budget. Now everyone wants to see Japan get stretched further thin and scraped to paste on new and much more powerful hardware platforms, when they're only just getting a grip on this past generation?

I would think, if you're a fan of hardcore (or whatever) games and Japanese games in particular, Japan staying on Wii U wouldn't seem to be damning them to "weak" hardware. More to hardware that they may actually be able to settle in with and produce good mid-range games.

If Wii U ends up getting a boatload of Japan's games, especially the kind so many people have been bemoaning the lack of compared to the PS2 generation, a Wii U would then seem to be an easily justified investment for such fans.

Perhaps another reason to wait and see rather than get angry now.

Derrick01

Banned
Really? You couldn't find more than 3 games on the console worth playing? So Mario Galaxy...you didn't like it? Xenoblade? Muramusa? SaP2? You obviously have distinct tastes.

I'm not gonna act like the Wii's non-nintendo library was gdlk. You had to search hard as fuck to find great games as there was a lot of shit but damn....not even 3 games?

Then that's legit I guess.

But hey who knows maybe in a few years Nintendo will get/make more games that you do like. There's no harm in waiting to see.

Other than Mario you listed 3 of the most niche japanese games possible. I didn't have the console any longer when Xenoblade came out, but it's a jrpg and I no longer like them so I assume I wouldn't like that.

I'll list the games I can remember having as this was a couple of years ago.

Galaxy 1
Twilight Princess
Mad World
Little King's Story
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Wario
Mario Kart
RE4
Super Paper Mario
Rune Factory

I think there was a couple more but I just don't remember. The only one I enjoyed was Little King's Story (going to get the Vita game too). Well...RE4 too but I had already played it on PS2 at that point. It just wasn't a system for me.

Other than Mario you listed 3 of the most niche japanese games possible. I didn't have the console any longer when Xenoblade came out, but it's a jrpg and I no longer like them so I assume I wouldn't like that.

I'll list the games I can remember having as this was a couple of years ago.

Galaxy 1
Twilight Princess
Mad World
Little King's Story
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Wario
Mario Kart
RE4
Super Paper Mario
Rune Factory

I think there was a couple more but I just don't remember. The only one I enjoyed was Little King's Story (going to get the Vita game too). Well...RE4 too but I had already played it on PS2 at that point. It just wasn't a system for me.

then fine.

You already said you don't even care for Bayonetta right?

So obviously for you the system still doesn't have anything.

(It also seems like you don't care for Japanese games anyway...I think)

But for so called "Bayonetta Fans". This is a bigger stretch. Platinum already has another title on the system too.

But hey if after two or so years, the system still doesn't have enough to make you buy it...then fine. That's on you.

and you'll live. If all you are missing out on is one game, it'll be fine.

Top Bottom