• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inafune's New KS has a Console goal to be defined post-funding.

I liked the idea of kickstarter. Now look what has become of it.

Well, actually it hasn't really changed all that much. Fans of ideas that publishers won't touch and products that are too stupid for even Sky Mall to feature get to fund and take on a disproportionate amount of risk in exchange for consistently late, over-promising rewards.

Of course the people behind Kickstarter ideas are competent and able to deliver, that's what they said when they took your money so it might be true, right? But even Kickstarters from "Big" names can fail. Out of the four big Kickstarter games we've had recently, I feel like one of them will fail. As in catastrophic failure where nothing is ever delivered and the creator has to put on his best BP Oil face and say "Sorry. Backer beware. Kickstarter is not a store." Which will it be? Yooka-Laylee? Shenmue? Bloodstained? Or Red Ash? My vote goes for Red Ash. At best it's going to squeak past its goal and that's incredibly dangerous for a game like this that's hiding behind it's stretch goals.

Dio

Banned
Kamiya doesn't dislike Inafune

I dunno, his dismissive attitude in the previously mentioned 'businessman not a creator' tweet combined with this makes me think otherwise:

3BUn68v.png

The biggest problem with KS is that, look if you need $3M instead of 800K to make the game you envisioned, then ASK FOR $3M. If you need $10M (WHY SHENMUE WHY ;-;) then ask for $10M, and people will know that it's the appropriate value for the vision and dream YOU have for this project.

But by setting a price point lower so as to ensure you reach it, your sacrificing a lot because once it hits that goal, momentum dies (unless it's a truly special project) because "well it's funded now so it's coming out regardless".

Your reckon the game was going to look like that?

Cause I can tell you now, it ain't.

I'm more enamored with the colorful, simplified, ghibli-esque aesthetic. In terms of tech, I couldn't care less how man polygons are on screen. Aesthetically, these screenshots still look beautiful to me. I'd almost say the limited use of geometry plussed the charm of the art style.

002.jpg

039.jpg

017.jpg

Like, I love the little details in the textures, like moss growing out of the walls and fixtures. That concept art evokes that same charming aesthetic to me, that honestly doesn't require bleeding edge tech to look good.

The biggest problem with KS is that, look if you need $3M instead of 800K to make the game you envisioned, then ASK FOR $3M. If you need $10M (WHY SHENMUE WHY ;-;) then ask for $10M, and people will know that it's the appropriate value for the vision and dream YOU have for this project.

But by setting a price point lower so as to ensure you reach it, your sacrificing a lot because once it hits that goal, momentum dies (unless it's a truly special project) because "well it's funded now so it's coming out regardless".

I think it's a lot lower this time around because their betting on additional funding through come through the sales of MN9, which should at the very least have decent numbers.

I dunno, his dismissive attitude in the previously mentioned 'businessman not a creator' tweet combined with this makes me think otherwise:

3BUn68v.png

I still don't believe that one "businessman" tweet is indicative of any bad blood between them. Kamiya may very well dislike Inafune given his recent tweets about Mighty no. 9 and the possibility that Inafune was largely responsible for the shuttering of Clover - but that one tweet was just him matter-of-factly saying "he's a producer like my boss Inaba, not a director / game designer, nothing wrong with that".

Console port stretch goal before a finished game with all chapters?

Why is finishing the game a stretch goal to begin with?

Is this your first Kickstarter? Not to be facetious here but every Kickstarter pretty much goes "if we hit the minimum we name the game as we've shared wanted. However if we hit the stretch goals we make the game we really wanted to make in the first place." In this case, it feels like Godus, wherein the base goal was set low enough under the assumption that the Kickstarter would sail past that and the first set of initial stretch goals but this point, much like MN9, Bloodstained and even Shenmue 3. I truly do not think they expected the Kickstarter to limp across the initial funding goal.

This seems so scummy, like those auction sites that have you pay to bid. "Want the game on your console? Give us money to count your vote."

Quick, delete that post. Reading what he did with fundraising after the MN9 KS, Inafune is going to do exactly as you suggested for additional funds for this game.

Crocodile

I'm guessing you don't follow kickstarters much? If you set the base funding goal too high, people are discouraged from donating at all because they think that goal will never be reached. Lots of people don't realize or know but don't actually conceptualize that you lose no money until the very end of the campaign if its funded. It's the same thing with people who will say "I won't fund this until goal X is reached" whereas the fact that they are withholding money makes it harder to hit goals and its no risk to your wallet until the end of the campaign. Overall, it comes down to basic human pscychology - people like to back winners and it looks better to blast past your goals than to just hit your target even if the same amount of money is involved. Being able to understand and exploit (you can do this in a good way or a bad way, its not auto bad) human psychology is a key part of running a successful campaign.

Hè does, Inafune closed down Clover because it wasnt doing well financially (read the 2007 interview). Thats why the ''hes a good businessman'', for closing down a bad operation.

If something I learn from Kamiya Twitter thread is that most people interpret the stuff he says as they want.

Thought, in this case, imagine dropped the ball in a spectacular way.

Hubble

Um yeah, this is just a really really bad idea. How the hell? The Kickstarter should have just picked a console for a stretch goal, and this way it would have added more pledges. Now people do not know what console it is, so there isn't much incentive to fund the campaign.

Top Bottom