• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inafune's New KS has a Console goal to be defined post-funding.

duckroll

Revisionist horseshit is calling Inafune "legendary game designer". No, I don't know what he did as planner, but people sure like to upplay his influence in the games themselves. Maybe you could list which games he was planner and what he did in them? I only know of Megaman 4.

Saying that Inafune "actually never made a single game" is definitely the same level of revisionist horseshit. C'mon. :p

JackelZXA

this kickstarter isnt gonna work.

It's just...so weird. the timing is sloppy and the pitch isn't very appealing. I felt like the shenmue kickstarter was kind of a weird situation, but this is an even weirder one. Maybe it's because Igarashi's went so well and we put all of our energy into HIS spirit bomb...Maybe it's a situation of what happened with the shantae kickstarter when MN9 was being done. they timed it poorly and ended up not making much. Some of the missed stretch goals there were 2 extra levels, animated cutscenes, and voice acting. Kickstarter is...so weird. I feel like bigger companies should hype up INTO launching a kickstarter, even though there's probably alot of "oh its NOW gotta NOW NOW NOW" to the launch fervor of something people REALLY want.

Terrell

So this game, based on the character names, is Inafune taking a swing at a Legends-esque game. And it's going to end up a console-exclusive game, apparently.

I have a feeling that poll won't be terribly transparent and they'll go with whichever hardware maker gives them the best deal.

Sounds about time for Inafune to give another "Japan is doomed" conference talk to scrounge up some cash!

I understand there's uncertainty at this stage but a) that implies they weren't already planning to do a port (is that realistic?) and b) I don't see how I could back without knowing I could play the game on something I owned. Now, I own all the machines because I am fabulous but if I didn't, why would I back this?

Yeah, it's definitely problematic, especially if, as I fear, it's being done for the appearance of democratic decision-making. But even if it is legit, it's still a terrible practice. Kickstarter is already a gamble of sorts, this is asking backers to basically "double down".

Floex

Why couldn't they wait until after Mighty No9 launched. T_T

Why couldn't they launch the anime KS *after* Red Ash was funded or not.

And now this.

Why do Legends games always get shafted.

N5T6f8l.png

I truly want to play this game.

Sigh.

Your reckon the game was going to look like that?

Cause I can tell you now, it ain't.

Well that's their prerogative isn't it? If they do that, a LOT of people (including me) aren't going to back it. The only current gen console I don't own is Xbone, but what if they decided on that, for reasons? Tough shit if they miss out on a few grand because of their lack of forethought.

Portugeezer

So basically they want as much potential money from console owners, but then won't deliver to every console.

Makes sense Herpi Derpafune.

vareon

It will probably reach the target, which is a pity because I want it to fail. Then they can spend some time preparing assets, scope, etc for a better campaign and relaunch. I can still see a good game at the end of this, just not with such a weak start.

This "We're going to have a console version, but we don't know which console! Just throw money at us and hope it's yours!" stuff is weird for an industry veteran like Inafune.

Kazer

Ugh. At this point, I kinda hope this doesn't get funded and they start a new KS for it in a few months after MN9 launches.

But it has 25 days left so I see it hitting the lowest goal at least.

pastrami

This seems so scummy, like those auction sites that have you pay to bid. "Want the game on your console? Give us money to count your vote."

This is pretty stupid. Who would fund something by knowing if they'll even be able to play it? Get outta here, Inafune. Kickstarter games are really pushing the envelope.

Soi-Fong

This is fucked up that they're doing a KS even before they've shipped MN9. And I backed that one for $80. These guys just seem greedy as hell.

What a mess. First they make a KS spiritual successor for a console franchise without the consoles, and now seeing how they're not getting funded as fast as they'd hoped, just put a console stretch goal hastily but cant even promise which console is the stretch goal due to having no plans.

DrArchon

The saddest thing for me is that I'd love for this KS to make gangbusters. I adore MML 1 and 2, and there's no way that Capcom's ever gonna make 3 so having a spiritual successor is best I can hope for. But with the way this is being handled it's looking like this will barely scrape by at $800k and we'll get a handful of tiny episodes of gameplay instead of the actual "sequel" to MML that people want. I just can't back some small episodic prologue thing because that's not the game I want.

They should've delayed this until either MN9 was out or they had a playable build or proof of concept to show off. At least then people could look at actual unfinished gameplay instead of just unfinished concept art and doodles.

Soi-Fong

Lmao like we don't know it s xbox one like Recore.

He can go to hell.

I only have a PS4 and PC. I would fund this if I knew it was coming for PS4, but with the recent MS conference revealing ReCore, no way in hell am I touching this w/ it having as equal a chance of it hitting only Xbox.

Crocodile

The sense (this is conjecture so I of course could be off base) I get is that all the porting they had to do for MN9 proved to be WAY more expensive and difficult than they anticipated. As such, they were shy to offer console ports for this game because they simply didn't have the resources to make a big game and port it to X number of platforms without publisher support. The issue that follows is of course most MML fans are primarily/exclusively console gamers which leaves them in a bit of a hard & a hard place.

At 1 million they don't have the capital to do two ports. They chose to be democratic in part because that is the nature of Kickstater and, based on their statements (at least how I've interpreted them), I get the sense that playing favorites with console makers can be tricky (unless you take the choice out of your hands ala a backer poll). Personally, just as a parent doesn't let their small child choose who the family life insurance provider should be, I think this choice was too important to leave to backers, especially if its to be post-campaign. The uncertainty involved (will this come out on my system of choice?) is too great. Or at least there is more negative than positive. But again, this is one of those "between a rock and a hard place" scenarios :(

It really depends on the producer himself. Some contribute more than others. I'm sure Inafune has had some ideas put in games, but that's far from game design.

While I obviously can't tell you every single thing Inafune has done in every game he has helped produce, any statement even remotely akin to "he's never designed a game/has no concept of game design" is trolling and could only come from the mouths of someone who has no concept of what a producer does. It's embarrassing.

120v

I wonder why they didn't wait til mighty no. 9 hit or they could've at least attached the brand to it... this KS doesn't really scream "not MML3" to me... just has a very half baked feel all around

I'm not particularly down on Red Ash, but I gotta say, one thing that makes me less into a Kickstarter is if I see that the owner of the KS doesn't actually fund any other projects on KS, especially if they've made multiple projects. Granted he's not on the ground floor - he's actually focusing on making a brand - but it gives a bad impression to me.

Busaiku

The console will be decided by backer votes, dunno why people are speculating what business decisions will lead to the choice, when that's been made clear.

Shauni

The console will be decided by backer votes, dunno why people are speculating what business decisions will lead to the choice, when that's been made clear.

I think the speculation is less about the business decisions, and speculating more about where what's been 'made clear' about voting is just a load of bullshit or not

Saying that Inafune "actually never made a single game" is definitely the same level of revisionist horseshit. C'mon. :p

I mean that people call him legendary game designer as if he was responsible for the quality of the games that bare his name. You can say he has made games, which technically is true since he's a producer, but I do not think he's responsible what makes the gameplay great.

People think "hey, I like megaman, so the creator of megaman makes good games". Unless everybody who backed him loves Soul... Sacrifice, or whatever his game is, I don't see why people gush so much over him.

mighty no 9 looks pretty turdly too

Maybe before doing your legends reboot, actually, you know, release your Mega Man game?

Just a thought, though. Not like I paid $100 for it or anything.

And you know, ultimately this KS is an excercise in futility anyway. It's not hitting ANY stretch goals so it's not even going to be close to resembling what either they want it to be or what people who want a Legends re-imagining want. So why bother?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Wait I dont understand is it, PC release + 1 undetermined console? Or is it just a console release that hasn't been selected yet?

While this game sounds like it'd be something I would really enjoy I could never in good faith back this since Mighty No9 still isn't out.

If MN9 had released by now I think I'd feel more confident backing this after all I only really care about the PC version. But as it is there is literally nothing here. There is actually less here than in the Bloodstained kickstarter and that's saying something.

The art is the earliest form of concept art possible.
There is only one mockup
The character designs look extremely early

The team behind it looks solid but my god, who in their right mind would back this? I am desperate for MML3 and not even I would given inafune money after MN9.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I'm beginning to understand why Kamiya seems to dislike Inafune so much.

Helping to shitcan him and all his Capcom peers with the Clover cull is going to lead to a bit of bad blood there yeah.

Top Bottom