• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inafune's New KS has a Console goal to be defined post-funding.

DrArchon

This is really going to hurt Kickstarter projects going forward. Especially if Mighty No. 9 isn't that good.

There's still plenty of great KS games to look at though. KS will be fine.

No, this will just hurt Comcept and Inafune. He'll have a really tough time doing another kickstarter, and we all know he'll try again.

Vire

This is really going to hurt Kickstarter projects going forward. Especially if Mighty No. 9 isn't that good.

No it really isn't, Kickstarter will be just fine... Bloodstained, Shenmue and Yooka Laylee just did gangbusters. People are just becoming more weary of Inafune's bullshit as evidence of the pitiful numbers this has brought in so far.

RK128

Like I said in the Red Ash thread, they should just down-scale the game to only have parts A and B of the map listed in that picture, cut some corners of the story (make the cut-scenes like the comic-esc cut-scenes form Gravity Rush for example) and release the game on PC and PS4. Then, re-set the funding goals of the Kickstarter; 1,400,000 for the entire package with no stretch goals; Ep. 1-5, the PC version and PS4 version all included in that core funding goal and nothing more or less.

Then, they could state "We are not dealing with future publishers for Red Ash; we will add the latter Episodes as free DLC to backers and for everyone else at very low prices (3-6 bucks per episode pack (with there being 3 of them). This project is our dream game and we promise you it will be the Legend you want it to be."

No bridges burned, no dealing with publishers and game is out for the consumer.

Legends 1 wasn't the largest game in the world and that was a very enjoyable adventure. Make Red Ash as big as Legends 1 and you are set for a great successor to the series.

If Inafune wants to make it a franchise like Mighty No. 9, then you have to start out small. People are pissed with how they got 'cheated' out of retail copies of the game and how it is using a publisher. People are also pissed at the Mighty No. 9 TV show and Movie deals; it paints the image of what Kyle Bossman said in his latest video; "Fat Kat" :(.

So, they really need to take some time and do some changes to the Kickstarter to ensure it is a success. And one way is to ensure that the game lands on a console first (likely PS4) then get ported to the others later on (X1 with Banjo/Conker cameo's and NX with some extra content).

Mononoke

Banned
I just really hope Mighty No 9 is actually good. But ultimately fans had the choice to spend their money, and that is the risk with KS. If MN9 is bad, then it will only hurt Inafune from using the platform any further.

Vire

I think in general there is starting to become KS fatigue. But yeah if these projects fail, it's not going to tank KS or anything.
How is there KS fatigue though? Bloodstained and Shenmue are literally the two most successful video game campaigns in the history of the site.

https://www.kickstarter.com/discover/categories/games?sort=most_funded

If anything it's doing better than ever. People are thankfully just not falling for this crap and sniffing through the bullshit.

OmegaX

Then, they could state "We are not dealing with future publishers for Red Ash; we will add the latter Episodes as free DLC to backers and for everyone else at very low prices (3-6 bucks per episode pack (with there being 3 of them). This project is our dream game and we promise you it will be the Legend you want it to be."

No bridges burned, no dealing with publishers and game is out for the consumer.

Do you realize that Inafune made it so that people that backed by PayPal after the MN9 KS ended would only add to the extra stretch goals if they paid more than what the game costed? Do you really think that this kind of man would do something like what you are proposing?

RK128

Do you realize that Inafune made it so that people that backed by PayPal after the MN9 KS ended would only add to the extra stretch goals if they payed more than what the game costed? Do you really think that this kind of man would do something like what you are proposing?

Wait, so they OVER charged for the game just to reach some stretch goals they missed :(?

.....Guess that puts things into perspective I suppose :l.

Does it feel like inafune is just sort of taking the kick starter market through a loop at this point? There are things that look awesome about this project, but mighty number nine isn't even out yet, this feels sort of disingenuous.

OmegaX

Wait, so they OVER charged for the game just to reach some stretch goals they missed :(?

.....Guess that puts things into perspective I suppose :l.
Not only that. IIRC the game costed $20 to "buy" after the KS ended. You could back by PayPal $20 but that didn't help to reach the stretch goals. You had to back for a higher tier, and it would only count the difference towards the goals (ex: if you backed $30, you contributed $10 to the goal)

Thorakai

I thought the whole point behind his cartoon and live-action thing was to build the Mighty No. 9 brand to make new projects more self-sustainable.

JDSN

Banned
Not only that. IIRC the game costed $20 to "buy" after the KS ended. You could back by PayPal $20 but that didn't help to reach the stretch goals. You had to back for a higher tier, and it would only count the difference towards the goals (ex: if you backed $30, you contributed $10 to the goal)

This is genious.

hawk2025

No way is on Wii U because of the July 2017 release date , so that only leaves us with Xbox One and Playstation 4.

That's the additional little layer of silliness here:

There is only one clear choice, and they have the means to determine it themselves.

The Wii U, as a first stretch goal, should be eliminated simply by the uncertainty over the platform by 2017. It's a simple business decision.

From there, the scope of the project should only allow for either Xbox One or PS4, or both, so I assume portables and PS3/360 are out. Thus, take a basic polling of the split between code requests and pre-order numbers for the PS4 and Xbox One versions of MN9, and make an informed decision from there.

Not wanting to step on platform-holders toes is nonsense -- the whole point of crowdfunding in the first place is to avoid having to deal with these problems and concerns. If either of the platform holders that wasn't chosen have a problem with it after the decision is made
tell them to take a hike
, post the information to the backers and at Neogaf what happened.

Smaller devs have gotten farther with Microsoft, for example, by complaining and being vocal here. Nevermind someone as reliatively big in the industry as these guys.

It's a cowardly and confusing approach to choosing a platform stretch goal.

Like I said in the Red Ash thread, they should just down-scale the game to only have parts A and B of the map listed in that picture, cut some corners of the story (make the cut-scenes like the comic-esc cut-scenes form Gravity Rush for example) and release the game on PC and PS4. Then, re-set the funding goals of the Kickstarter; 1,400,000 for the entire package with no stretch goals; Ep. 1-5, the PC version and PS4 version all included in that core funding goal and nothing more or less.

I would back that.

Mikey Jr.

I'm probably get flamed, but fuck it.

My opinion? Restart this kickstarter. Scrap it, and come back in a few months. Once you lose this much momentum, its hard to restart it.

Will the even definitely go with the vote, I mean, if people majority voted Vita are they really gonna make it Vita only?

I reckon they'll just go with whoever offers a decent deal and the vote is a PR tool that serves no real purpose as far as where the game is headed. 'MS has best offer' = 'MS was most voted!"

I'm probably get flamed, but fuck it.

My opinion? Restart this kickstarter. Scrap it, and come back in a few months. Once you lose this much momentum, its hard to restart it.

Then they're stuck in the bad position where they have to retain employees for X months while they lick their wounds and can restart it.

They should have secured some sort of other project to work on for a few months after MN9 went gold and then come back with Red Ash on a successful wave of good tidings from a hopefully good game.

There were just too many question marks and collar-pulls on this one.

hawk2025

Will the even definitely go with the vote, I mean, if people majority voted Vita are they really gonna make it Vita only?

I reckon they'll just go with whoever offers a decent deal and the vote is a PR tool that serves no real purpose as far as where the game is headed. 'MS has best offer' = 'MS was most voted!"

That's an even weirder bit.

If we throw in money and vote, they will do it on that platform. Except if a platform holder contributes, of course. Then fuck your votes.

I'm a really pro KS kind of person, but after that Kyle Bosman skit... yeah, that's pretty much the gist of it and I can see where people are coming from.

I've got nothing but positive vibes for that game and am confident I'll enjoy it, but I don't see how Mighty No 9 can review well at this point, and not be set up to fail to atone for all these perceived slights.

Mikey Jr.

Then they're stuck in the bad position where they have to retain employees for X months while they lick their wounds and can restart it.

They should have secured some sort of other project to work on for a few months after MN9 went gold and then come back with Red Ash on a successful wave of good tidings from a hopefully good game.

Take the hit. This thing has slowed down dramatically. It'll probably (barely) hit 800k, but they lost all that early kickstarter momentum. Now they are in that big lull where nothing happens for the next 2 weeks.

I guess wait to see what the console bump does. I suspect not much. If its WiiU, they'll probably be DOA. But shovel knight did ok I suppose. PS4 is probably their best bet. If that does nothing, I say cancel and come back again.

Richie

I misread the thread title and thought one of the stretch goals was for a console that had yet to be defined, as in, unveiled. And I got all stupid hype about NX for a second lol

As stupid as that immediate thought was, this is even more idiotic.

Toxi

Banned
Need clarification about this:

-Game cost $800.000
-Game plus 1 port cost $1.000.000

So porting cost $200.000?
Stretch goals are not the actual cost of the stretch goal rewards. Remember that they're going to also be using extra money for the game itself.

duckroll

This is probably not the case. At least from what I can tell. Comcept is not a development studio, so they don't have a ton of development staff who might be made redundant if they don't have a project to immediately jump into next. They have planning staff, but they also have a number of ongoing projects. Comcept recently announced they were working with Armature for Recore for example. MN9 is developed by Inti-Creates, and Inti-Creates has a bunch of projects lined up next - primarily Gunvolt 2 and Bloodstained. They're not involved with this Kickstarter at all.

What I think is more likely to happen is that if the KS fails or if they close it down and relaunch later, they might not be able to secure the same freelancers and contract staff which are attached to the project now. It is also possible that a studio like Hyde cannot wait around for a project to be confirmed for many months, so if this KS is a no-go, they might sign other long term subcontract work with other developers and publishers to keep busy, and Comcept will have to either wait longer for the game to go into development, or look for another development partner.

sn00zer

Why couldn't they wait until after Mighty No9 launched. T_T

Why couldn't they launch the anime KS *after* Red Ash was funded or not.

And now this.

Why do Legends games always get shafted.

N5T6f8l.png

I truly want to play this game.

Sigh.
I would truly like to see someone spend more than a weekend working on storyboards before launching a kickstarter

EDIT: They really should just end the campaign then relaunch in 6 months or something

Stretch goals are not the actual cost of the stretch goal rewards. Remember that they're going to also be using extra money for the game itself.

Then how much it cost?. Why not come clean about this?, "look we need $500.000 to port it to PS4/X1, the stretch goal is there, if you want it, put the money down". I know maybe is not that simple as that but is hard to understand what are they doing.

jholmes

I said I wasn't going to even consider backing this after the way they treated backers on MN9 and well, this is pretty much what I thought would happen.

I couldn't have predicted this particular scam in all its specifics of course. This is a real piece of work.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I would truly like to see someone spend more than a weekend working on storyboards before launching a kickstarter

EDIT: They really should just end the campaign then relaunch in 6 months or something

It's the smart move to launch this before MN9 comes out.

Use that time to make simple prototype, they have a game release soon, any copies sold are pure profit for them since the game budget have been paid from the start by fans anyway. Unless we think the game already reach all the userbase they could get from kickstarter and no one will buy it via normal methods like steam etc.

It's a shame this game was put on KS like this. I'm not a huge traditional Mega Man fan, so Mighty No. 9 wasn't something I backed. But I love Legends, and I would love to support this...but just not like this.

rpmurphy

I have to hand it to Inafune for exploiting console wars to his advantage (or at least trying to). Normally, you wouldn't think one could make them any worse, but here it is.

I don't hate Inafune but I feel way more let down by how Mighty No. 9 and now Red Ash were handled than I ever did for Broken Age.

Top Bottom