• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Independent:Civilian deaths from US-led airstrikes hit record high under Donald Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentRob

So this article already is a few days old but I didn't find a thread. Lock if I'm just blind.

"Almost 1,000 civilian non-combatant deaths have already been alleged from coalition actions across Iraq and Syria in March - a record claim," the statement said. "These reported casualty levels are comparable with some of the worst periods of Russian activity in Syria.
On Monday, a conflict monitoring group, the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, said a strike near Raqqa targeted a school that was serving as a home for multiple families displaced by fighting in the area, killing at least 33.
After the fall of Aleppo to Syrian and Russian forces in December and the recent escalation of the US-led campaigns against the Islamic State in Mosul and Raqqa, claims of civilian casualties caused by American-led forces have outstripped those caused by Damascus and the Kremlin, according to Airwars.
According to Airwars, more than 2,500 civilians have been killed by the US-led coalition, which has admitted to killing only roughly 220 civilians. In recent months, the Pentagon said it has taken strides to investigate a backlog of claims while starting to release monthly civilian casualty assessments.

Way more in the article

Amir0x

Banned
Well he did say he wanted to commit war crimes and kill innocent women and children, so PROMISE KEPT.

Somnid

So is there anything showing Donald's policies have caused more or is this just incidentally a local maximum from business as usual.

Aselith

Well if you are already a traitor and a sexual predator, why not go for the trifecta and add war criminal.

Dynasty

Going after the families of terrorist, pretty sure he said something about that during his campaign. Not sure why anyone would be shocked he is just keeping a promise.

pa22word

So is there anything showing Donald's policies have caused more or is this just incidentally a local maximum from business as usual.

I think some of this is to be expected because as the fighting drew deeper into Mosul and the population becomes more dense casualty rates are going to magnify exponentially per bomb dropped no matter what you do.

It doesn't come near explaining all of it, though. Trump has definitely been more lax on targeting than Obama was, for sure.

Chumly

There has been numerous articles that talks about how trump has relaxed policies around civilian deaths and given the military more leeway. So yes this is a direct result of his policies

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
So I guess all those "beautiful babies" and "children of god" don't mean jack as long as he's the one ordering the strikes, or at least as long as they're being incinerated/blasted rather than being gassed.

They're brown tho sooo..

image.php

Dierce

This is what orange turd said he would do and every last piece of shit that voted for him has blood in their hands.

At least Obama never said he would go after innocent people, but I suppose orange turd supporters are psychopaths so they probably don't even care.

la_briola

Wasn't the "Syrian Observatory for Human Rights" a dude in his flat in London? Why is this twitter account always used as a source?

Vixdean

Not to absolve Trump, but this was always going to happen when the fight against ISIS shifted to heavily populated urban areas. West Mosul in particular has been a blood bath. Honestly, the hyperventilating over military action since Trump took office is a bit embarrassing, this uptick in civilian deaths would have happened under Obama as well.

Caj814

why didnt Americans stop Trump? why did you let him walk right into the White House?

1. Make America Great Again Ignoramuses. This includes the trolls and genuine supporters

2. Being a lazy piece of shit and not going out to vote period

3. Not voting because "There's no way Trump will win!"

4. Not voting because Bernie wasn't a pick

5. Not voting because "HER EMAILS!1!" and genuine dislike of Hilary up to the point that some even voted for Trump.

O_Atoll

At this rate and if he keeps going at this rate, we're looking at 12,000 deaths before he leaves office and that's if he doesn't not start a full scale war..Scary.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
That number is such a high jump that I have to question it. Airwars supports the notion that since 2014, 2978 civilian casualties occurred at a minimum by Western forces, which is already much higher than any other group claims. A third of that has now been done within a month?

Airwars seems to rely too much on social media for their conclusions.

I think an emergency UNSC meeting needs to be called immediately and Nikki Haley should be there to show photographs of all of the children killed in these airstrikes - along with calls for intervention from US media against Lockheed, Boeing, Northrop Grumman Corporation, General Dynamics, etc.

Under 80 days in office and already 1000 civilian deaths??? It only took Obama eight years to hit 117 and I already thought that was bad.
Consider that US civilian death counts tend to drastically be undercounted.

Like, we'd be pissed if these people who report US death tolls worked at Media Create, Famitsu, or Dengeki - undertracked all day.

It just hit me that we could be seeing tens of thousands dead by the end of Trump's first term.

Lord help Syria
why didnt Americans stop Trump? why did you let him walk right into the White House?
You can thank the slave state enabling electoral college for that. A literal diarrhea stain on our electoral process.

When Trump starts talking about what Obama did to create new radicals and foster a revolutionary terrorist environment, don't forget who bombed thousands of families in Syria within months while banning anyone there from finding refuge here.

Arttemis

I want to know what the difference between Trump's Rules of Engagement compared to Obama's ROE. It has been reported that our strikes into Iraq come at the request of Iraqis on the ground. Also, there are reports that ISIS members are kidnapping neighborhoods to use as human shields against air strikes.

How have the threat and collateral damage assessments required before striking targets changed under Trump? The answer to that will be most telling.

trembli0s

I want to know what the difference between Trump's Rules of Engagement compared to Obama's ROE. It has been reported that our strikes into Iraq come at the request of Iraqis on the ground. Also, there are reports that ISIS members are kidnapping neighborhoods to use as human shields against air strikes.

How have the threat and collateral damage assessments required before striking targets changed under Trump? The answer to that will be most telling.

The casualty rates are directly correlated to the fact that the fighting has shifted to urban population centers. ISIS no longer runs around the countryside and has bunkered itself in urban areas. As a result casualties are simply bound to rise because a bomb detonated in an enclosed area is always more lethal.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
3 months in and he's already a war criminal. Wow.

Not surprised. Horrified, but not surprised.

RPGCrazied

I just find it funny Trump thinks he is helping people, but the alive ones fleeing from this shit he doesn't want them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom