• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Independent:Civilian deaths from US-led airstrikes hit record high under Donald Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hermii

The casualty rates are directly correlated to the fact that the fighting has shifted to urban population centers. ISIS no longer runs around the countryside and has bunkered itself in urban areas. As a result casualties are simply bound to rise because a bomb detonated in an enclosed area is always more lethal.
That excuse is not good enough. America with all its fancy tech, smart bombs, surveillance and supposedly superior morals can't even do better than Russia?

Those were *humane* murders though. No pesky international agreements outlawing the killing of people with pyrotechnic and explosive chemical reactions.

Under 80 days in office and already 1000 civilian deaths??? It only took Obama eight years to hit 117 and I already thought that was bad.

Not that The Don hasn't established himself as a monster already, but figures like the 117 are nothing more than the government trying to pull some hollywood accounting shite.

NYTimes said:
Mr. Obama embraced a disputed method for counting civilian casualties that did little to box him in. It in effect counts all military-age males in a strike zone as combatants, according to several administration officials, unless there is explicit intelligence posthumously proving them innocent.

You male? You a guilty blown-up corpse until proven innocent, fam.

RPGCrazied

Remember. Trump did say to take out their families. So that means women and children. He really isn't any different then other dictators.

digdug2k

Wasn't the "Syrian Observatory for Human Rights" a dude in his flat in London? Why is this twitter account always used as a source?
It's one guy collecting data from numerous inside sources and publishing it. People (the UN) have investigated and found his sources accurate. Most if the criticisn against him is just claims that he selectively only reports on deaths from the govt.

Vagabundo

Let's put the blame with this where it firmly lies: Bush and Blair. Trump maybe an asshole but him and Obama inherited this mess.

Vagabundo

yea but killing 1000 civilians in 100 days wasn't unavoidable. Trump did that.

Did he? I'd guess his been pretty ineffective as a Commander and Chief with all the other shit going on for him.

I think we probably would have seen similar civilian deaths under Obama at this point in the war. I'm not sure if there is a way to minimise the casualties and still root out ISIS. It's a nightmare.

Chumly

The casualty rates are directly correlated to the fact that the fighting has shifted to urban population centers. ISIS no longer runs around the countryside and has bunkered itself in urban areas. As a result casualties are simply bound to rise because a bomb detonated in an enclosed area is always more lethal.
Not true when trump has changed the rules of engagement. Yes some might be attributed to urban fighting but you can't make blanket statements that it is the only cause

Not surprised this thread would be so unpopular. People don't like talking about this. I'm sure many have just dismissed this thread as "whataboutism".

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Look at this Duterte-looking motherfucker right here...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This shit ain't new, although Trump has certainly escalated it to new horrifying levels. We've been doing this shit for ages. Its disgusting and its murderous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom