• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie dev sheds light on shady and disgusting "Indie Gala Bundle" practices

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
edit: IG has switched over to the Humble-like system of tying purchases onto accounts back in May, combating resellers. Thanks y'all for the info. Below is a story of how it was before IG switched models:

---

I've heard of some of the shady deals from a few devs about Indie Gala, but nothing like this. Holy crap.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/JoshFairhurst/20140710/220768/Think_Before_You_Bundle.php

The gist of the story: unlike other bundlers, Indie Gala panders to third party resellers, who in turn resell the keys they bought for as little as nine cents. Here's how they do it.

Saturday Morning RPG has been in four bundles: Indie Royale, Groupees, Indie Gala, and Blink Bundle. Each bundle has their own benefits, but only one of them has a serious flaw that I was totally blind to:

Indie Gala

When I was approached to include Saturday Morning RPG in Indie Gala it seemed like a wonderful opportunity. From what I had seen, Indie Gala was consistently the second highest grossing bundle out there – behind Humble Bundle, the golden standard of bundles. There is a reason for this: Indie Gala’s model panders to third-party resellers. This is bad. Like, really bad. It will absolutely kill your game’s long-term saleability. Third-party resellers are effectively the seedy black market of Steam keys – they will sell keys for your game without your knowledge, at a fraction of your Steam price. Many times these prices will only be pennies on the dollar of your original price – which reflects how little they paid for the keys in the first place.

You see, Indie Gala has this thing called “Happy Hour” where to spur sales they allow 2-for-1 deals on keys. Pledge the minimum $1 and you’ll get two keys for each game instead of one. Sometimes the happy hour deals will even yield 4-for-1 deals instead of the usual 2-for-1. On top of that, Indie Gala offers tiered “gifting” which allows you to buy multiple copies of the bundle at progressively lower prices, the more you buy. This is perfect for resellers looking to get a couple hundred, or even thousand keys. Especially when the tiered gifts get crazy cheap during happy hour (these offers stack!). Oddly enough, Indie Gala’s happy hour actually lasts eight to ten hours and sometimes arbitrarily longer. It will occur multiple times throughout the bundle, so there is almost no chance customers/resellers will miss it.

After all was said and done, we made approximately $0.09 per copy of Saturday Morning RPG sold during Indie Gala. I knew the per copy yield wouldn’t be high going into the bundle, but what I did not predict was the long term effect resellers would have on the game.

resellersSMRPG.png

SMRPGebay.png

Lots more at the link.

DJ_Lae

Huh.

I don't think I've ever bought a bundle from them (maybe or two a while back). Or Indie Royale.

Bundle Stars seems to be the only one I purchase consistently from other than Humble Bundle. I wonder how they fare in comparison.

To devs, the lesson is clear: never bundle with Indie Gala. Ever. And if you buy bundles from them, well, maybe you shouldn't.

chubigans
y'all should be ashamed
(Today, 09:17 PM)

I knew about the happy hours but I thought it only applied if you beat the average / paid for the second tier. (Edit: Maybe I'm confusing it with a Grouppes bundle? I remember I got a second copy of all the games as one of those unlockable incentives.)

Edit: Didn't Indie Gala recently implement the Humble-like system where you have to link your Steam account to activate games? How does that work with reselling?

This is really sensationalized.

A normal bundle from indiegala might cost around $3-4 for the BTA tier which includes 5-8 games (already low, but normal for bundles.)
During "Happy Hours" the price rises a bit and you'll be able to get 4 bundles for the price of one if you meet certain requirements, essentially making one bundle $1.50 in most cases (even lower, but still not unusual for bundles. Humble Bundle was always praised for being 100% PWYW with a minimum of $1 until they changed to a more restrictive (and expensive) tiered system.)

Nothing here is inherently "pandering" to third party sellers. Keys from every bundle can be and are sold on those sites. IndieGala actually CHANGED the system so that keys can't be as easily re-sold, and that is mentioned in the article.

Also, the guy sold his game in 4 bundles, and IndieGala wasn't even the first one.

Nov 7, 2013 — Nov 13, 2013 (IndieRoyale)
Jan 21, 2014 — Jan 28, 2014 (Groupees)
Feb 26, 2014 — Mar 18, 2014 (IndieGala)
Apr 25, 2014 — May 9, 2014 (BlinkBundle)

No shit your sales are flatlining. Pointing out IndieGala as the reason for that in the graph is strange, and it looks like the sales were almost flatlining before that.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Edit: Didn't Indie Gala recently implement the Humble-like system where you have to link your Steam account to activate games? How does that work with reselling?

Yeah, I noted as much in the Steam thread. The author must have written up the post at least two months ago (IG adopted the new system back in May).

riotous

Banned
These indies need some sort of collective non-profit publishing group or something. Pay for some lawyers to read over contracts for them.

It's a little tiring to see them sign up for deals and then act like victims of something.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Yeah, I noted as much in the Steam thread. The author must have written up the post at least two months ago (IG adopted the new system back in May).

Didn't know that, good to hear. OP updated.

These indies need some sort of collective non-profit publishing group or something. Pay for some lawyers to read over contracts for them.

It's a little tiring to see them sign up for deals and then act like victims of something.

I do actually agree with that. I've been extremely weary of bundling because of course it'll hurt future sales potential if you pick the wrong bundle group.

Aselith

Yeah, I think the bigger issue is the being in 4 bundles. If you keep appearing in bundles, people will wait for the next bundle. I think as an indie you should still be very selective about your bundling. One a year is enough to build some interest and will keep your from being the village bicycle.
BUNDLE SHAMING

Top Bottom