• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie devs comment on Xbox One

Yep, it was expected they would not be pleased. I was not happy with this too.

ijW9KbFN8WmTW.gif

dat gif lol

la_briola

It is amazing how much extra push Sony is putting toward Indie's this gen. Yet another in a long list of ways Microsoft fucked its unveil. Sony is now the de facto Indie system of choice lol

Except Sony's, since they spent an inordinate amount of time detailing how their new platform benefits Indies :p

You mean Steam?

charsace

They really needed to explore the process of development to release. It was a gaping hole in the presentation especially now given how many developers there are out there on so many open platforms.

This wasn't for developers. This was to advertise the Xbox. That's it. I would think the strategy they have for this will be similar to what they have with windows 8.

Amir0x

Banned
You mean Steam?

Obviously Steam is the #1 in absolute terms, but I meant among the consoles

Yogsam said:
So NOW you guys love Phil Fish? Let me laugh until I shit my pants.

He just says dumb things, I don't hate him. I do, however, love Fez, so as a gamer that's what matters to me in the end. Dude can make games.

GhaleonEB

It is amazing how much extra push Sony is putting toward Indie's this gen. Yet another in a long list of ways Microsoft fucked its unveil. Sony is now the de facto Indie system of choice lol

Except Sony's, since they spent an inordinate amount of time detailing how their new platform benefits Indies :p

And had actual indie developers on stage to talk about it (Jonathan Blow). I think the time MS spent talking about everything but games was about equal to the time Sony spent actually talking about games. Jesus.

la_briola

Wouldn't the Wii U be cheaper to develop for (web framework / cheaper dev kit)?

There are no costs to develop for steam. Its a store front. You just need to get through Greenlight, which could be a problem.

edit: You probably talking about the PS4.

Amir0x

Banned
And had actual indie developers on stage to talk about it (Jonathan Blow). I think the time MS spent talking about everything but games was about equal to the time Sony spent actually talking about games. Jesus.

That about puts it into perspective right there. Just a staggering unveiling.

Wouldn't the Wii U be cheaper to develop for (web framework / cheaper dev kit)?

I mean, I don't know the price of dev kits, but Sony is actively courting Indie's every which way to Sunday, has provided the most expansive set of tools available yet on a Sony platform for Indie devs, promotes their Indie games front and center, endless support.

They really changed their fortunes around. Indie devs can't stop saying positive things about PS4.

DocSeuss

Microsoft’s direction isn’t in line with E3, it’s in line with CES.

Exactly, which is why most of the people hating the console are kinda idiots.

Because this isn't E3.

This is "here are all the various things our console can do. Games, movies, tv, everything." They crammed a lot into an hour--it's not like they could have devoted an entire hour to telling everyone about their games. This device is about doing everything, and if you wanted it to be just about games, you've set your sights too low. It's an all-in-one machine. Awesome.

Expect the games at E3. .-.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Isn't it kinda telling that at this point those Indie's don't know what the fuck is going on with the Xbox One. I mean hasn't there been any push to get them on board... like at all?

Between the Internets stupid crusade against him and him saying just whatever the fuck he wants, I think I am really starting to like Fish. Go you!

.GqueB.

Banned
Isn't this a little premature? They barely talked about games in general. Why would there be anything thing for indies to react to let alone bigger studios?

Calm down internet.

SPDIF

Isn't it kinda telling that at this point those Indie's don't know what the fuck is going on with the Xbox One. I mean hasn't there been any push to get them on board... like at all?

Like I've said, at BUILD they'll be plenty of discussion about development.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I've hated on Phil Fish a lot in the past, but damn that's a good quote.

Because this isn't E3.

This is "here are all the various things our console can do. Games, movies, tv, everything." They crammed a lot into an hour--it's not like they could have devoted an entire hour to telling everyone about their games. This device is about doing everything, and if you wanted it to be just about games, you've set your sights too low. It's an all-in-one machine. Awesome.

Sounds an awful lot like PS3...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

Because this isn't E3.

I prefer to call the informed on GAF "informed" and not just wishing for things to get better.

Right now, with what we know, it's terrible.

antitrop

Didn't Steam change their policies where stuff has to go through Greenlight now?
(TBH, I have no idea how Greenlight works for devs)

Pretty sure they're going to scrap Greenlight entirely and come up with something else. I remember reading a quote from Valve about that somewhere along the past few weeks.

Oersted

That about puts it into perspective right there. Just a staggering unveiling.

I mean, I don't know the price of dev kits, but Sony is actively courting Indie's every which way to Sunday, has provided the most expansive set of tools available yet on a Sony platform for Indie devs, promotes their Indie games front and center, endless support.

They really changed their fortunes around. Indie devs can't stop saying positive things about PS4.

Exactly what Nintendo does....

Pretty sure they're going to scrap Greenlight entirely and come up with something else. I remember reading a quote from Valve about that somewhere along the past few weeks.

No. Greenlight is here for quite a while. They had a dev chat about two weeks ago and Gabe's suggestions of a personal storefront is way off it seems.

Tnetennba

Oh Phil, you wonderful creature.

This all fits in with the talk going around beforehand about indies having heard nothing from Microsoft though. Not in the least bit surprising.

Chaos17

Indies dev aren't affected by consoles market. They can make their games on whatever plateforms they want since they have their freedom and not be attached by any editors.

ReaperXL7

Isn't this a little premature? They barely talked about games in general. Why would there be anything thing for indies to react to let alone bigger studios?

Calm down internet.

Except these reactions would also indicate that Microsoft isent even talking to these developers at all. My guess is that they will mainly go after the top of the heap, so you will see stuff like Hawken, Twisted Pixel, Minecraft, etc. The guys who make stuff like Thomas was alone, Hohokum, Chasm, etc will viewed as non important. thats just my guess though.

Phil Fish is absolutely correct about the buzzwords and nothing really being said.
The entire time I watched the conference, all I kept thinking about was a corporate get together where upper management and corporate bosses try to encourage the serfs for another year of productivity gains by using quotes from motivational posters.

Amir0x

Banned
Exactly what Nintendo does....

If it was exactly the same, then Indies would have a similar level of buzz for Wii U. Now while I doubt any indies would say Wii U is a bad environment for them - Nintendo has made great strides and definitely deserves credit, as did Microsoft for the way they pushed indie products on XBLA - there's also no doubt that a clear preference has emerged in the new gen, and that IS because Sony is simply pushing and supporting way harder.

DocSeuss

I prefer to call the informed on GAF "informed" and not just wishing for things to get better.

Right now, with what we know, it's terrible.

The ONLY terrible things we've heard are many contradictory reports about how discs are going to work and that backwards compatibility is a no go.

Everything else seems pretty reasonable.

People primarily seem angry because they didn't SHOW enough games, so oh no, Microsoft, despite having announced that they're doing more games than either of their comptitors, isn't making a box for games anymore.

Top Bottom