• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie devs comment on Xbox One

Watch as a portion of GAF goes from hating Fish to loving him with one single quote.

Not that he isn't totally right mind you. Abysmal reveal.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The ONLY terrible things we've heard are many contradictory reports about how discs are going to work and that backwards compatibility is a no go.

Everything else seems pretty reasonable.

People primarily seem angry because they didn't SHOW enough games, so oh no, Microsoft, despite having announced that they're doing more games than either of their comptitors, isn't making a box for games anymore.

Admittedly, I am disappointed about the games mainly but the platform is not what am I asking for at all.

I know E3 will shed some positive news for them but with all the other negative bits, it's hard to make much of a positive opinion on the whole on the new Xbox.

sajj316

Indie, the Vita loves you!!!!

With Love,
The Vital
<3

Seriously, the indies have better avenues to get content on! MS found a new girlfriend!

Oersted

If it was exactly the same, then Indies would have a similar level of buzz for Wii U. Now while I doubt any indies would say Wii U is a bad environment for them - Nintendo has made great strides and definitely deserves credit, as did Microsoft for the way they pushed indie products on XBLA - there's also no doubt that a clear preference has emerged in the new gen, and that IS because Sony is simply pushing and supporting way harder.

WiiU has Unity support and indies games frontload, PS3/PS4/Vita will have. There is always more buzz about what will happen, then what had happened. And regarding, 3DS, well of course they have bigger/better and more exclusive indie support than Vita.

STG!

Yep, it was expected they would not be pleased. I was not happy with this too.

ijW9KbFN8WmTW.gif

LOL, this fucking dog gets funnier and funnier!

Brinbe

OH man, that Phil Fish quote. And fuck I forget that they did delay this shit a month. Wow, all that time for absolute garbage. Time well-spent!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
It seems like most of them don't want to burn bridges with MS. The mere fact that they mostly talk about the other non-gaming features of the console speaks volumes pf the conference.

Sorry if this is already posted.
3fRhKhS.jpg

So I guess no Minecraft for XB1?

My guess is they're taking more of an Apple approach to indie games. Apple never does anything special to get all the major cell phone games, they just started with a relatively cheap and easy to use platform. If the whole "windows 8 core is used for apps" thing is true, they maybe games just become part of the normal app outreach

Would be interesting to see what the performance differences are, though

Actually agree with Phil here. I really hope PS4 takes this opportunity to sweep these disgruntled indie devs off their feet. Support for indie devs is going to be very important 'next gen' I believe. I'm sure many others do as well.

UrbanRats

I find it very weird their total lack of indie presence, given that they basically launched the phenomenon on consoles, with the 360.

Are you even able to self publish on Xbone?

That about puts it into perspective right there. Just a staggering unveiling.

I mean, I don't know the price of dev kits, but Sony is actively courting Indie's every which way to Sunday, has provided the most expansive set of tools available yet on a Sony platform for Indie devs, promotes their Indie games front and center, endless support.

They really changed their fortunes around. Indie devs can't stop saying positive things about PS4.

Well, Nintendo has Unity 4 Pro for free and has practically given away dev kits...I mean, it's almost like paying indie devs to develop for the system.

Maxrunner

It is amazing how much extra push Sony is putting toward Indie's this gen. Yet another in a long list of ways Microsoft fucked its unveil. Sony is now the de facto Indie system of choice lol

Except Sony's, since they spent an inordinate amount of time detailing how their new platform benefits Indies :p

Nintendo is also being aggressive towards indie developments but since it's Nintendo it's going to continue to get ignored...

DBT85

Just just got put up from TwoTribes on twitter, developer of Toki Tori 2. They earlier expressed dismay that they can't self publish on XBONE.

ka7H3HX.png

Audioboxer

Just just got put up from TwoTribes on twitter, developer of Toki Tori 2. They earlier expressed dismay that they can't self publish on XBONE.

ka7H3HX.png

Speaks volumes, just what the fuck do MS think they'll benefit from pissing off indie developers? More money? Hardly....

flippedb

Banned
I really hope Wii U ends up being a house for indies, since One looks pretty bad and we still don't know much about Sony's approach.

Top Bottom