• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Thread 3: Indie Jones and the Template of Doom

Dascu

People already said it but check the Profiler (specifically the column for warnings). Check your number of batches and shadow casters, do you have an object with a collider that moves but has no rigidbody? every movable object should have a rigidbody even if its marked as kinematic.
This is really on everything? If I have a character rig with several Capsule or Sphere Colliders on the limbs of the character, marked as Trigger (for hitboxes and such), do I really need to attach RigidBodies on all of those? In the Profiler, what would be the accurate line to look for to measure the performance cost on this and whether or not it has noticeable impact?

missile

I don't see the point personally. Keep it as an option for sure, I love options, but as a designer, I want to be able to choose as well. If I want the smallest light area from your gif to be as bright as the sun, or a massive 10 by 10 meter lamp to be as bright as a match stick, I should be able to decide that myself :) I've never heard of your system before, but it could be nice as an option. Maybe it could be connected to "size on screen" rather than actual size too? So vehicle headlights could fade in brightness with distance in realtime?
Attenuating headlights themselves with distance isn't any problem, neither
their reflection on some surface (goes off like distance² or similar). Well,
the point in using the area when considering total power emitted may have
advantages when wanting to make things look more realistic in proportion.
Could also be useful for procedural generated stuff. And it might be very
useful when the emitter has a more complex shape (curved perhaps) with you
wanting to get realistic lighting with respect to geometric scale and surface
area. So I'm wondering if someone has some experience in modeling scenes with
such area lights. Sure, I will support both variants, but I just want to
know a bit more on how to put them to good use. :)

Minamu

Attenuating headlights themselves with distance isn't any problem, neither
their reflection on some surface (goes off like distance² or similar). Well,
the point in using the area when considering total power emitted may have
advantages when wanting to make things look more realistic in proportion.
Could also be useful for procedural generated stuff. And it might be very
useful when the emitter has a more complex shape (curved perhaps) with you
wanting to get realistic lighting with respect to geometric scale and surface
area. So I'm wondering if someone has some experience in modeling scenes with
such area lights. Sure, I will support both variants, but I just want to
know a bit more on how to put them to good use. :)
Ah, I follow. I don't have any knowledge of this, sorry. Lights with shapes do sound neat though :) No need for emissive textures then maybe.

Some "real" gameplay in-action, though still have some work to do. Might need to get around to writing some shaders for some of the effects I want to do soon.

fvPam9n.gif

dj_joey

Neo Member
I finally finished my mobile game (and patched out the game breaking bugs so it is now actually playable)... Who thought making something this small can take up so much time ^^

slopecrashers07.jpg

So if you are not sick of endless runners, here is one that I made with love and much much coffee :D
https://www.slopecrashers.com/

It is made in the Unreal Engine if anyone is interested in the tech behind it.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
I finally finished my mobile game (and patched out the game breaking bugs so it is now actually playable)... Who thought making something this small can take up so much time ^^

slopecrashers07.jpg

So if you are not sick of endless runners, here is one that I made with love and much much coffee :D

Congrats on hitting the finish line! I hope all goes well.

As for Quests Unlimited, I focused on getting the wizard class implemented this week. It was a lot of work creating all the new equipment meshes for the new class on top of everything else, but thankfully I got it done. I created some particle effects for the wizard's fireball and the explosion it makes on contact and I have to say i'm fairly happy overall. Things still need tweaking of course, but the game is far from done so that could be said about everything. Anyhow, here's a look at the wizard in action sans UI this week!

ZeuP7xi.gif

Pazu

Been in the development hole with my head down, but I'm really happy with how far Chiaro and the Elixir of Life is coming. This cave is located at Blue Crab Lake, a level that you'll explore about 1/3 through the game. You get to row a rowboat, which has been an incredibly difficult and interesting design problem to try to solve for roomscale VR.

I really think we're doing some extremely cool stuff with storytelling, gameplay and AI in VR, combining ideas and elements that have never really been presented this way before. Really just a result of blindly committing to the dream we had to tell an original animated story for this new medium and having the freedom to leap out of the plane without a parachute and figure it all out while falling. Haven't hit the ground yet. Our game is playing pretty fun, now the question is whether or not we can fulfill its complete potential. We're up in Montreal putting our hearts and souls into this, 15 months and counting, who knows how many more...

Lautaro

This is really on everything? If I have a character rig with several Capsule or Sphere Colliders on the limbs of the character, marked as Trigger (for hitboxes and such), do I really need to attach RigidBodies on all of those? In the Profiler, what would be the accurate line to look for to measure the performance cost on this and whether or not it has noticeable impact?

Check this article (the Rigidbody section): https://unity3d.com/es/learn/tutorials/topics/physics/physics-best-practices

Basically all colliders without a rigidbody are considered static colliders so they are more costly to move.

I don't know if this only considers translating the object or animation triggers it too but in the last column of the Profiler (the one with a warning symbol) you can see if its happening.

EDIT: tried it in my project with the main character, I added a collider to a thigh and no warning was triggered but maybe is because the parent object (the character itself) has a rigidbody.

Minamu

It appears my team mate really liked my particle work I've been doing the past week :) Going home to my folks for a week did wonders for productivity haha.

But now, the quality and feel of the different levels have once again skewed, and 4 out of 5 maps have this "scary/creepy" vibe, which I like. Our oldest map has this gentle snowstorm going on, and that has to change somehow but I don't know into what. I'm thinking of oddly colored dust particles maybe (in select locations), kinda like the spores in TLoU.

In no particular order, we have snow, heavy rain/storm clouds and fog, strange fireflies, a volcano-esque burst of glowing orbs, and a sickly yellow slow-moving sandstorm, looks almost corrosive. There's no gameplay function to any of these effects, they're just there for feeling.

I would post pictures but I'm at work for 12 hours, great way to spend a Sunday, ain't it? :)

The Swedish App Store says that my Iphone 5 isn't compatible with the game so I can't download it :/ Known issue?

dj_joey

Neo Member
It appears my team mate really liked my particle work I've been doing the past week :) Going home to my folks for a week did wonders for productivity haha.

But now, the quality and feel of the different levels have once again skewed, and 4 out of 5 maps have this "scary/creepy" vibe, which I like. Our oldest map has this gentle snowstorm going on, and that has to change somehow but I don't know into what. I'm thinking of oddly colored dust particles maybe (in select locations), kinda like the spores in TLoU.

In no particular order, we have snow, heavy rain/storm clouds and fog, strange fireflies, a volcano-esque burst of glowing orbs, and a sickly yellow slow-moving sandstorm, looks almost corrosive. There's no gameplay function to any of these effects, they're just there for feeling.

I would post pictures but I'm at work for 12 hours, great way to spend a Sunday, ain't it? :)

This sounds awesome - post pictures as soon as possible :D

The Swedish App Store says that my Iphone 5 isn't compatible with the game so I can't download it :/ Known issue?

Hmm...Yeah that's a little bit of a problem... I basically had to update the app to 64 bit processors so that it stays in the app store, but it looks like that killed the support for 32 bit iPhones... hmm.. maybe I can publish two versions .. I will look into it

Minamu

This sounds awesome - post pictures as soon as possible :D

Hmm...Yeah that's a little bit of a problem... I basically had to update the app to 64 bit processors so that it stays in the app store, but it looks like that killed the support for 32 bit iPhones... hmm.. maybe I can publish two versions .. I will look into it
Thanks :D Pictures are coming, I'm working hard on making cube based levels look non-amateurish :lol

I hope your app works out, my phone needs a new game, it's hard to find a good mobile game.

missile

Congrats on hitting the finish line! I hope all goes well.

As for Quests Unlimited, I focused on getting the wizard class implemented this week. It was a lot of work creating all the new equipment meshes for the new class on top of everything else, but thankfully I got it done. I created some particle effects for the wizard's fireball and the explosion it makes on contact and I have to say i'm fairly happy overall. Things still need tweaking of course, but the game is far from done so that could be said about everything. Anyhow, here's a look at the wizard in action sans UI this week!

ZeuP7xi.gif
Nice. :) You need 3d hp bars? They clutter the screen way too much for me.
Ground texture looks a bit wired when getting lit on and off.

Some "real" gameplay in-action, though still have some work to do. Might need to get around to writing some shaders for some of the effects I want to do soon.

fvPam9n.gif
Getting better an better each time. Curious how it will look with some
shader/effects applied.

Ah, I follow. I don't have any knowledge of this, sorry. Lights with shapes do sound neat though :) No need for emissive textures then maybe.
You still need the emissive texture, but the dependency on the shape of the
light gets much more complex if the area light isn't as simple like a plane.

_Rob_

Blimey, this topic moves fast!

Just a quick update on my train boss cutscene, a little rough still but getting there I think.

giphy.gif

oxrock

Check this article (the Rigidbody section): https://unity3d.com/es/learn/tutorials/topics/physics/physics-best-practices

Basically all colliders without a rigidbody are considered static colliders so they are more costly to move.

I don't know if this only considers translating the object or animation triggers it too but in the last column of the Profiler (the one with a warning symbol) you can see if its happening.

EDIT: tried it in my project with the main character, I added a collider to a thigh and no warning was triggered but maybe is because the parent object (the character itself) has a rigidbody.

As long as the gameobject with a collider is the child of a gameobject with a rigidbody it's fine. Otherwise it needs it's own rigidbody.

Nice. :) You need 3d hp bars? They clutter the screen way too much for me.
Ground texture looks a bit wired when getting lit on and off.

Of course I need 3d hp bars, everything is voxel inspired! TBH, I've been having the same thoughts about them cluttering the screen for a while. I think I'm going to add a simple health display to the party information panels and make the health bars themselves toggle on and off with a hotkey or something.

LordRaptor

I was always under the impression that colliders set to kinematic aren't treated the same way as regular colliders and don't need rigidbodies because they don't have any deterministic movement - is that not true?

oxrock

I was always under the impression that colliders set to kinematic aren't treated the same way as regular colliders and don't need rigidbodies because they don't have any deterministic movement - is that not true?

In unity, colliders don't have an option to enable/disable kinematic treatment. It's the rigidbody that has this option. What enabling "is kinematic" does is ignore all forces that would normally be applied to it by the physics engine. It also disallows it to apply force to other objects it collides with. It's ideally suited for things like platforms in platforming games.

LordRaptor

In unity, colliders don't have an option to enable/disable kinematic treatment. It's the rigidbody that has this option.

Oh yea, I was thinking of OnTrigger - I swear to god, stop using soemthing for a few weeks and you don't remember shit about it

missile

In unity, colliders don't have an option to enable/disable kinematic treatment. It's the rigidbody that has this option. What enabling "is kinematic" does is ignore all forces that would normally be applied to it by the physics engine. It also disallows it to apply force to other objects it collides with. It's ideally suited for things like platforms in platforming games.
Wouldn't it be cool to try to make the hp indicator part of the character
itself, i.e. to make something on his skin start to glow or similar when
loosing more an more hp?

Edit:
For example, that one class can have their horn glow more and more
reddish when loosing too much hp. I prefer such a solution much more than
having these bars on top of everyone.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
loosing more an more hp?

Edit:

I agree, those big 3D blocks aren't a good solution. Could be a cool design to have the health bar built into their clothing

Ianan

So I started some tutorial series to learn Game maker a week ago, finished it on the same day but I'm gonna continue the project and flesh something out from what I have.
Bought an asset pack on the cheap to put in as placeholder art for now, but here's how it is from the weekend.

https://twitter.com/Ianan90/status/886649172690173953

Currently working on adding a basic progression system by giving the player accumulated currency as they play which can be used to unlock new ship parts/weapons etc.

Really enjoying reading about everyone's adventures in creation. After doing some feedback work for a small P-n-C concept, it's rather tempting to try my hand at it. Please keep the stories rolling~

wwm0nkey

Marble game is going well. Though most of my friends can't commit so I am just working on it myself, about to get some art assets soon so hopefully I will have something to show soon! Its mostly physics based so it hasn't really been hard to program, only issue I have had is getting a orbiting camera to work well.

DemonNite

Pretty cool to see IndieDB throwing some support K Monkey's way, looking good!

Thanks for letting me know :) happy to get support where ever possible!

I've been busy adding reflection probes all over the level now and re-doing the lighting. Since the levels are procedural, I just decided to drop a Probe to every middle room floor. Also finally switched over to deferred rendering but had to change some materials to get it looking decent.

Before Reflection Probes and re-doing all the materials + Forward rendering:

After adding Reflection Probes and tweaking the materials + Deferred rendering:

Couldn't find the exact same scenes to compare BUT but I think theres an improvement lol

Also decided to buy a domain and put together a website 2 days ago. Didn't want to work on it too much as I want to get back to making games :D

http://www.kmonkeygames.com

Absolutely. A version control system is a must when developing, even if you're just storing it locally. Thankfully you didn't lose any data!

To expand on that, BitBucket gives you private Git online repositories for free. It's what I've been using with mine. Frankly I can't imagine not pushing my work somewhere online and being one HD crash away from losing all my work.

missile

I'm in the middle of converting my engine to a deferred one as well. :)

Thanks for letting me know :) happy to get support where ever possible!

I've been busy adding reflection probes all over the level now and re-doing the lighting. Since the levels are procedural, I just decided to drop a Probe to every middle room floor. Also finally switched over to deferred rendering but had to change some materials to get it looking decent.

Before Reflection Probes and re-doing all the materials + Forward rendering:

After adding Reflection Probes and tweaking the materials + Deferred rendering:

Couldn't find the exact same scenes to compare BUT but I think theres an improvement lol

Also decided to buy a domain and put together a website 2 days ago. Didn't want to work on it too much as I want to get back to making games :D

http://www.kmonkeygames.com
I think your game could profit from one or two bounces of light to shed
some light into these (way too) dark areas.

DemonNite

I'm in the middle of converting my engine to a deferred one as well. :)

I think your game could profit from one or two bounces of light to shed
some light into these (way too) dark areas.

Sadly my game has no permanent lights or fixed level layouts in these dungeons (procedural) which also means I don't bake any lights and settle for all realtime - which also means no light bounce.

Right now, all the lights/torches in the dungeon levels (minus the ceiling lights) can be lit or unlit so baking is out of the question.

But going back to your point, I can probably adjust the player ambient light a tad and increase the fog range a bit to improve it :)

missile

Sadly my game has no permanent lights or fixed level layouts in these dungeons (procedural) which also means I don't bake any lights and settle for all realtime - which also means no light bounce.

Right now, all the lights/torches in the dungeon levels (minus the ceiling lights) can be lit or unlit so baking is out of the question.

But going back to your point, I can probably adjust the player ambient light a tad and increase the fog range a bit to improve it :)
No baking, sure.
What about SHL (Spherical Harmonic Lighting)?

maybe it's better to upgrade now... i wonder how much i'd need to move over brainwise

v1 projects can be imported into v2 and it's all pretty seamless - it will create compatibility scripts for anything that is no longer supported but should be all fine. I imported my project which was fairly complex and it just worked :)

As for editor differences - Studio 2 is soooo much nicer to use, I'd say it's well worth the upgrade

embalm

On Sunday I spent 2 hours debugging my doors. Doors that open and unlock. They are really simple and should have been done quickly. After hours of debugging I found that I was saving my door status as if it were a chest. fml.

It set the chests as open and looted, so at least that was working.

My prototype dungeon is almost complete. Left on the task list is an open area, a mercenary camp, and a growing bug list.

missile

lol, now you're talking a language I don't understand man :p

edit - light probes? if that, then I've yet to try them out
Basically, yes. Depends on the implementation. Based on SH the light probes
are cast into a basis of sphericial harmonics (over the sphere) storing just a
couple of coefficients per probe. These probes get bounced around one, two, or
three times to get indirect illumination. With the probes at hand the stored
field gets rotated into the local frame of the point to be shaded with the
coefficients multiply with the BRDF, roughly speaking. I think you can
generate the position of the probes procedurally with the map. There should
be plenty of hardware accelerated code around, was a hot topic 10 years ago.
Anyhow, Unity may have its own and perhaps better implementation. Don't know.
Whatever, I think your game would look much better that way. Just increasing
the ambient term will make it look more flat.

loosing more an more hp?

Edit:

I love having both a traditional hp indicator and a player one like you describe. Unless hp bars don't fit with the feel of the game, more info is better imo.

My game used to only have health represented on the character but during gameplay that was too hard to "read."

oxrock

loosing more an more hp?

Edit:

The only semi viable thing I could do along these lines would be to have the character's face get bloodier or something with the more damage he/she takes. For reasons long and annoying, the equipment texture colors being changed would be ridiculous to pull off and I have to simply discount. The only two other areas that don't get covered by equipment are the face and the feet. Having either glow to indicate health just sounds a bit weird to me. The other problem is that the face of characters is actually quite rarely ever seen unless you're actively focusing on it while following the party in free cam mode. I do agree however that the current health bar solution is suboptimal, especially considering that I still haven't implemented mana tracking in conjunction with health tracking. Adding a mana bar to 2/4 party members would just overload the current clutter situation. I'll keep brainstorming the issue though, I know something different needs to happen.

Top Bottom