• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2014 [December] Now Voting - Post 285!

daydream

Banned
4hW7ix3.gif

The Community Indie GOTY Voting is open (Yes, lazy reuse of last years awesome banner):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=955174

If possible, please try to quote this post on top of every new thread page here.

Speaking of stirring up discussions, anybody who read my Hack n Slash impressions who vehemently disagrees with me? I saw baddy has it on his goth list, but I honestly couldn't even bring myself to include it there. Might have squeezed it in on rank 40-50, for some redeeming aspects, by it annoyed me enough to completely leave it out. Spacebase, hack n slash... Oh double fine.

Edit: oh, yeah, the infamous baddy goth list (stupid autocorrect)

Sometimes I think I'm the only DF fan on GAF. :p This is a good moment to ask if my Broken Age inclusion is kosher since part 2 isn't out, yet.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Actually I removed it, since honestly I haven't played enough to include it. But I did enjoy what I had played. idk, I just really liked being about to solve puzzles and defeat enemies by altering the game variables themselves. Definitely felt more unique and interesting than Glitchspace IMO.
I would need to think about that some more, but hack and slash just felt so... Pointless. They tried to make a game about hacking the world, but it never ends up giving you the basic creative and interesting freedom that even simple programming games give you. Or let's say it doesn't make those actions interesting enough.

Glitchspace got me thinking and instilled a sense of wonder. You can do some crazy stuff even in that basic demo, hack n slash just felt like a reskin of a really basic top down puzzle game. I really like what they tried to do, but I don't think they were even remotely achieving it. Just compare hack and slash to Fjords. Fjords has some simple hacking mechanics and manages to build a world full of surprises making you feel like you discover the rules and possibilities of your powers.

Edit: you probably weren't far from the end. You mentioned the sea of turtles, so you were probably at around 30% with 2 hours left to play - another criticism I have with the game. It just seems like the prelude to something more intricate that never comes, for a quite high askin price.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Sometimes I think I'm the only DF fan on GAF. :p This is a good moment to ask if my Broken Age inclusion is kosher since part 2 isn't out, yet.
Sure, demos/ early access are fine. If a game in EA state managed to impress you more than a full version, then why not? Gorogoa still doesn't have a full release and is still one of the most intriguing games I ever played.

Oh and could you quote the indie goth voting post in our post? :) top of the page and all.

And I like the previous DF games. Broken Age Ch1 was nice to play as well, even thoug I would have preferred a more hardcore adventure game, but I guess i'll just wait on my grim fandango remake for that fix.

Oh speaking of hardcore adventure games, heroines quest is balls hard. An adventure game with basic needs (food) and a reaction based combat system. Crazy stuff.

daydream

Banned
Sure, demos/ early access are fine. If a game in EA state managed to impress you more than a full version, then why not? Gorogoa still doesn't have a full release and is still one of the most intriguing games I ever played.

Oh and could you quote the indie goth voting post in our post? :) top of the page and all.

Excellent. Really, really loved Broken Age and can't wait for part 2.

Added the goth post. #100pppworldproblems

Only got to play about 15 minutes of NecroDancer before shutting down for the night, but it's already sinking its hooks in. Like One Finger Death Punch level of addicting. So simple to control, and the complexity is 100% at the gameplay level. Figuring how enemies react and move to the beat, lining up your attacks based on the range of your weapon, timing, learning the rhythm.

And the soundtrack is fantastic.

Crypt of the NecroDancer is so good. I need to fit it into my top 10 somewhere. I love all the unlockables and gear you can find and how every weapon feels different and the subtle tweaks for each class and the music. Best roguelike I've played in a while. Clearing a room without getting hit because you have the rhythm down and know how the enemies will move is so satisfying.

Toma

I have heard that game is a surprising gem.

Yeah, I read some good things about it too, but sometimes its really hard to figure out in a recommendation post if a game is just a decent time waster, or if it will end up on the top spots of the GOTY lists.

Toma

Going back to the topic of thread activity:

I was talking to another user yesterday and got the hint that people might not actually be aware that they can come in here and talk about ... anything Indie related. Apparently people hold back to post here because they didnt play the OP games/have no time to play the OP games.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Toma

Indie Games 2015 [January] - Now compatible with phones

Indie Games 2015 [January] - Ask daydreaming about Jazzpunk

Indie Games 2015 [January] - We also talk about Steam games

Elsinore - ????
U0U43av.jpg

http://www.elsinore-game.com/

Elsinore is an adventure game unlike any other, set in the world of Shakespeare’s Hamlet. You play as Ophelia, a young noblewoman of Denmark, who awakes from a terrible vision: in three days, everyone in Elsinore Castle will be dead.
Lie, assassinate, befriend, love, or destroy — the actions you can take at any stage are numerous. Elsinore uses a custom-built event simulation engine to create a story that responds to your choices unlike any other adventure game available. Characters have their own lives, schedules, needs, desires, and intricate personal plans; even the smallest interaction has an impact on the world around you.

Steel Assault - PC
screen6.png

http://steelassault.com/

Years after the fall of the United States, the world is on the brink of war once again. A 2D sidescrolling action platformer, in the style of a late NES game.

Treasure Star - ????
Bos%20Stage%201.gif

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=41808.0

"A RPG missile command, crossed with dragon ball z on a tiny traveling planet made of gold."

Meta Warrior - ????
directlink_B5ZviM8CAAAVNYp.jpg%3Alarge.jpg

https://twitter.com/metawarriorgame

Meta Warrior is a thriller beat em up game that features the story of Andrei, a Cold War Veteran, who still fights within his dark past.

ExtroForge - PC, Mac
directlink_B42CIgZIMAAdA1W.jpg%3Alarge.jpg

http://extroforge.com/

ExtroForge is both a first person shooter, and a real-time strategy game, with sandbox building and construction as the basis of the experience.
Extroforge takes players to a strange and mysterious alien world, where they must work with their teammates to make a new home for themselves. The alien world is both beautiful and ruthless. There are sweltering jungles to the south, and a frozen ice land in the north. Using only minimal technology, players assemble their command post, begin securing resources, and then use those resources to establish a home base.

Angus hates Aliens - PC, PlayStation 3, PS Vita
directlink_B4018NjCcAAtGhd.png%3Alarge.png

http://www.team-stendec.com/

Angus hates Aliens is all about reaction and tactical choices against a plethora of different enemies. Every enemy and every situation requires Angus to think about specific approaches making this game more tactical than your usual shooter. Keep your finger on the trigger, think first, then shoot and Angus might get out of this mess alive

Inkanians - ????
level_test_16c.gif

http://dev.kronbits.com/tagged/inkanians

Inkanians is a puzzle game on control two players at the same time.

Previously Mentioned

Rain World

Sky Rogue

Eitr

Switchcars

About Hatoful Boyfriend, it's an Otome Visual Novel about you being the only human going to a High School exclusive to birds. It starts exactly as it sounds a ridiculous game with some crazy story, until you start pursuing the other routes and the back story about what happened begins to take form. I still need to finish some routes but from what I've heard the plot takes an unexpected turn.

Toma

About Hatoful Boyfriend, it's an Otome Visual Novel about you being the only human going to a High School exclusive to birds. It starts exactly as it sounds a ridiculous game with some crazy story, until you start pursuing the other routes and the back story about what happened begins to take form. I still need to finish some routes but from what I've heard the plot takes an unexpected turn.

That is not "game of the year"-convincing yet :p

What made you like the game so much? Just the story? The interaction/choices you can make? The length? The depth?

That is not "game of the year"-convincing yet :p

What made you like the game so much? Just the story? The interaction/choices you can make? The length? The depth?

Oh man I can't properly explain my thoughts in English. xD

Anyway, the story, as the majority of VN's, has multiple branches leading to different finals. In my honest opinion the story is the best part of the game, you never know to where the plot is going after a certain point. The choices are rather simple and they only serve to define what kind of ending you're going to get and the routes are pretty short so the game's appeal isn't on it's length, but instead having short routes doesn't make the tedious because you can absorb all the non sense that's going and works well on letting you hooked trying to discover the true ending.

You should read CheesecakeRecipe's review, it may be a bit spoilerish of the twist but may give to you a better idea about the game than my writings

Playing the Rain World alpha and the devs nailed the movement and lizard encounters. The gameplay is as smooth and fluid as you'd expect from the GIFs; just climbing and jumping around is fun by itself

When the lizards enter the picture, it's almost Nemesis-esque. They kill you in one hit, some can climb up poles, they chase you relentlessly, so even when you have a spear and rock, your best option is to just run, get away, and try not to get cornered. A head-on confrontation usually only stuns them, giving you a few seconds to flee. It's very intense and thrilling.

There's no audio at the moment, but the atmosphere is already wonderful, from the shifting shadows to the dripping water and swarms of bats moving through the world.

Toma

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Hello!

I'm not sure if it's okay to post my own work here, tell me if it is not and I will delete this post.

I have a little (free) game out called Peregrin: http://lissar.itch.io/peregrin

It's a small walking simulator where you explore a forest and talk to strange creatures. I hope you enjoy it!

iDGu5ZTwYGuso.png

Toma

Hello!

I'm not sure if it's okay to post my own work here, tell me if it is not and I will delete this post.

It's a small walking simulator where you explore a forest and talk to strange creatures. I hope you enjoy it!

iDGu5ZTwYGuso.png

Heya, welcome :)

Perfectly fine, maybe I'll get to try it later, though I am a bit surprised that someone would voluntarily call his own game "Walking Simulator" (not that I mind personally) because that seems to have a rather negative connotation currently.

flowsnake

Heya, welcome :)

Perfectly fine, maybe I'll get to try it later, though I am a bit surprised that someone would voluntarily call his own game "Walking Simulator" (not that I mind personally) because that seems to have a rather negative connotation currently.

I think it's being reappropriated a bit already.

Toma

Hello!

iDGu5ZTwYGuso.png

Cute, little experiential game. Obviously inspired by life itself and there are some interesting parallels to think about. I found the end of my journey, but decided to venture on, only to rue the missed chance eternally, walking on autopilot now (literrally as the game is running in the background with the character continually walking to the right), bypassing others, just mindlessly steering forward.

Might not be everyones life, but its certainly hers. Its not going to end up on any GOTY list, but its a cute idea and I really like the art style :)

Moobabe

Speaking of Game of the Year discussions...

Pylon has reviewed Deadnaut:

I will cut the chase. Deadnaut is my Game of the Year. A fresh, dark and compelling squad strategy affair that draws on roguelikes as much as it does ALIENS, Screwfly Studios’ science-fiction survival follow-up to Zafehouse Diaries is far and away the most exciting thing I’ve played in 2014.

I'm going to have to check out the demo now - it doesn't sound like my kind of thing at all but he has a way of selling these games to me.

Toma

Voting December!

RULES THIS MONTH IN SHORT: Up to 10 games, at least 4.

Why?
Because we want to offer people who first step into the thread an easy go-to list for great games. Plus it gives more attention to the titles that really deserve it.

How?
Everyone votes on his top 10 games out of the ones that already have been released AND are mentioned in the OP (So everything in Post 2). I'll tally the results and put the best 5 in the next thread. A minimum voting count of 4 is required. Feel free to vote for games that you deem "important" or the ones that you enjoyed the most. Since this is a rather communicative thread, feel free to include a short description why these games ended up on your list or a "honorable" mention if you feel that one game deserves another mention even though it wont count for your list. That way it would also make it interesting to read which games we should check out that others might have enjoyed. You dont need to "rank" the 10 games. Every list entry gets 1 point for the overall ranking.

When?
This thread is still open until the end of the month, so you can drop your list in here whenever you want. You can also change your list up to the last day. I wont start the count before the last day of the month, so everyone has still time to revise their lists and play some games. Speaking of which, if you dont even KNOW 7 games to vote for, there are plenty free games in the OP to check out. Most of which are rather short too. Use the remaining week to catch up with 1 or 2 titles you didnt get around to yet!

Which?
Since the list got rather long, here is the complete list of games to vote for for this month:
0hh1 - Free (Web)
404sight - Free beta (PC)
A Bird Story - $4.99 (PC/Mac/Lin)
All Is Dust - Free (PC)
Attack of the Oculoids - Free (PC, Mac, Browser)
Beat Shooter - Free (PC, Mac)
Coelophyte - Free (PC)
Courier of the Crypts - Free demo (PC)
C-Rush - $2,99(PC)
Cycho - Free (Browser)
Deadnaut - $9.99, Free demo (PC, Mac)
Detective Grimoire - $4,99 (PC, Mac)
Distant Star - $6,99(PC)
Elliot Quest - $9.99 (Win, Mac, Lin)
Endless Express - Free (PC, Mac, Linux)
Fake Colours - $8,99(PC)
Fancy Pants Adventures World 4 - Free preview (Browser)
Frail Shells - Free (PC, Mac, Linux)
GunWorld - $4.99
Impulse - Free (Browser)
It Takes Two - Free (PC)
Just Get Through - $4,99 (PC, Linux)
Lepidoptera Revelare - Free (PC)
Magnetic By Nature - $9.99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
Malebolgia - $13 (PC, Mac, Linux)
Mantis - Free (PC)
Move - Free (PC, Mac, Linux)
No More Probes - Free alpha (PC, Browser)
Onikira - Demon Killer[/B] - $9.99 (PC)
Pitiri 1977 - $4.99 (PC)
Prismata - Free-to-play (PC, browser)
Rampage Knights - Free tech demo (PC, Mac)
Retro-Pixel Castles - $14.99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
Schrödinger's Cat and the Raiders of the Lost Quark - $14.99 (PC, Mac, LInux
SHIFT - Free (PC)
Shootmephrenia - Free (PC)
Strange Gravity - Free (PC)
The Awakening - Free (Browser)
The Sheltered - $3,99 (PC)
The Sun & Moon - $9.99 (PC)
This War of Mine - $19.99 (PC, Mac, Linux
Urja - $9,99 (PC, Mac)
X-Terminator - Free (Browser)

Toma

Time to finally start playing some of the december games! *cues the traditional end of month marathon*

Moobabe

Time to finally start playing some of the december games! *cues the traditional end of month marathon*

I'm running a Christmas CHKDISK and then maybe memtest so my PC is out of action today while I eat too much.

I've played a little on the list, but I'll try and play a few more over the next few days before doing my end of year Indie list.

Toma

I think a double Toma and Pylon recommendation might be too much for me

Pylon already got you anyway :p But I'll make sure to apologize in case I need to double trouble you ;)

Toma

OP impressions:

0hh1
Simple puzzle game without any progression and puzzles in different sizes. Its not really hard though and since there isnt any incentive to replay it, there isnt much to it overall. Interesting time waster for a few minutes though.

404sight
3d platforming with the premise of not seeing the course obstacles and layout until you reveal it. Not a huge fan of it, especially because I played a similar game last year with a better theme (echolocating the obstacles with sound instead of manually activating it).

Beat Shooter

Very simple 3d target shooter that only allows you to shoot with the beat. Not particularly engaging currently.

Courier of the Crypts
First interesting game this month. Top down crypt venturing including enemies, traps and puzzles. Very intriguing, but still a bit unpolished, especially the controls. I'll check back on this once its a bit further in development.

C-Rush
Looked very interesting, but doesn't run. Critical Error when starting for me.

>----------< Highly Recommended >----------<

>----------< Recommended >----------<
Courier of the Crypts

>----------< Decent-ish >----------<
404sight
0hh1

>----------< Bleh >----------<
Beat Shooter
C-Rush

...off to a fantastic start. Onto Deadnaut!

I think I just broke Endless Express, when you're on the station in the middle of the water just don't go following the rails until they end. You'll fall through the level geometry.

Edit: Just finished Endless Express, while the concept is nice I wish it could have more to do on the game like exploring the places surrounding the stations and or interacting with the strange NPC's, on the plus side I liked the 2D stuff being mixed with the 3D. I understand it's an 7 days FPS entry but I wish someone take the concept further.

Toma

Unfortunately the Courier of the Crypt IndieGoGo failed so I hope it still get finished.

Dawww, sucks to hear.

On an unrelated note: My first impression of Deadnaut is not overly positive. Interesting for sure and the way the setting/setup is used to control the game is very clever, but the actual game doesnt seem all that... interesting yet. Might be me being tired or the tutorial missions just being super boring, but I'll postpone my first impression judgment until tomorrow.

The game seems to hide quite a few complex system from what I read, so I hope I can continue to play it for long enough to actually notice that.

mbpm1

I played Deadnaut for a very limited time, but my concern was mostly about the interface. I couldn't really get a sense or feel of what was happening on the screen, so it was just boring.

Toma

I played Deadnaut for a very limited time, but my concern was mostly about the interface. I couldn't really get a sense or feel of what was happening on the screen, so it was just boring.

Now that I slept a bit on it:

The UI takes some time to get used to, but I think the thematic setup of being a command central is very clever and interesting. However, it does affect my enjoyment somewhat as well, because it basically limits the main area of the game screen to 1/4th of the screen estate. That led to much unnecessary zooming and scrolling, which made navigation a bit cumbersome.

But my biggest problem so far were the ingame elements. Its not a tactical squad based game (as it was advertised), because you cant really properly influence the tactics and combat situations. In that regard it is very, very simple as the only thing you can do is position your units and hope for the best when enemies attack. Ultimate Space Commando blows it out of the water in that regard. (Which you guys should look into if you like squad based tactics games)

Another thing I didnt get yet was the point of the hacking system. Next to exploring the map and the combat, it seems to be one of the most important aspects but it seems... pointless so far. Up till now, I could either open doors directly or via hacking, not a huge difference. And even if there are some doors that only unlock via hacking, the hacking itself is so simple, that it might as well not be there in the first place.

Just to make sure I am not misunderstood here, for the concept, execution and individual gameplay elements that are interesting I am still looking at a game that I would probably eventually "recommend" to look into (highly recommended > recommended > decent > bleh), its just not nearly as good as to land in my top 20 GOTY list because of the above issues. One thing I really like for example is the mission feedback given by your units. Everything that happens is commented by them, and you do rely on their input to get more information about the current situation or the well being of the units.

Still, gotta play some more today to confirm or refute my first impressions.

mbpm1

From what I got out of it, the hacking's purpose was to let you open doors from further away so your squad could kill things easier.

But despite that, I found it seemed these tactical decisions seemed to matter less and less as I played on. Does it really matter how you position your troops? Or whether your squad member is equipped with a shotgun or not? It should, and probably does, but it seemed hard to distinguish that it really did from my time playing it because it's all automated.

I did like the dialogue though, as you said.

Toma

From what I got out of it, the hacking's purpose was to let you open doors from further away so your squad could kill things easier.

But despite that, I found it seemed these tactical decisions seemed to matter less and less as I played on. Does it really matter how you position your troops? Or whether your squad member is equipped with a shotgun or not? It should, and probably does, but it seemed hard to distinguish that it really did from my time playing it because it's all automated.

I did like the dialogue though, as you said.

Yeah, this sounds like the experience I had. The game does have quite a bit of depth to it, especially after reading through the manual, but it just isnt appealing so far and as you just mentioned, these aspects dont feel like they hold much weight.

If you like squad based combat, do take a look at Ultimate Space Commando though!

Moobabe

Ok so I've only played a couple in the OP so far, but it's a start:

The Sun and Moon

He already knows what I think about his games - but Daniel Linssen is a genius. Javel-ein and Roguelight are two of the standouts for me, but The Sun and Moon is, mechanically, the purest of his games. It's a "physics" platformer in that an understanding of momentum and angles is key.

Fiendishly difficult but never unfair - highly recommended. There's also a free version to play.

This War of Mine

Hmmm. This is a game I'm still not 100% on about how I feel. Aesthetically I like it; the pencil lines are nice, the graphics are effective and the music and sounds are really well done. Gameplay wise it never... grabbed me the same way it did some others. I often find in this kind of "management" game, for want of a better expression, that things quickly get out of hand - but this is exacerbated in This War of Mine, entirely deliberately.

Build the wrong thing early on and you're looking at a restart, but over time food can become scarce, again deliberately, and you begin managing food, moods and anything else the game throws at you. It's an extremely interesting game, and I like that it doesn't try and force some kind of overbearing message onto the player; this is simply a game about the people left behind. I'm just not sure how fun it is, and that's ok.

Highly Recommended

The Sun and Moon
This War of Mine (just)

Top Bottom