• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2014 [December] Now Voting - Post 285!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Ok so I've only played a couple in the OP so far, but it's a start:

The Sun and Moon

He already knows what I think about his games - but Daniel Linssen is a genius. Javel-ein and Roguelight are two of the standouts for me, but The Sun and Moon is, mechanically, the purest of his games. It's a "physics" platformer in that an understanding of momentum and angles is key.

Fiendishly difficult but never unfair - highly recommended. There's also a free version to play.

This War of Mine

Hmmm. This is a game I'm still not 100% on about how I feel. Aesthetically I like it; the pencil lines are nice, the graphics are effective and the music and sounds are really well done. Gameplay wise it never... grabbed me the same way it did some others. I often find in this kind of "management" game, for want of a better expression, that things quickly get out of hand - but this is exacerbated in This War of Mine, entirely deliberately.

Build the wrong thing early on and you're looking at a restart, but over time food can become scarce, again deliberately, and you begin managing food, moods and anything else the game throws at you. It's an extremely interesting game, and I like that it doesn't try and force some kind of overbearing message onto the player; this is simply a game about the people left behind. I'm just not sure how fun it is, and that's ok.

Highly Recommended

The Sun and Moon
This War of Mine (just)

I dont mind restarts in general, but restarts are extremely repetetive in this game, since you need to run through the exact same missions all over again.

flowsnake

Has About Love, Hate and the other ones been mentioned in any of these threads yet?

Puzzle sidescroller made by the Tiny and Big developer, seems to be well regarded and came out this month. I only saw it because I have a coupon for it on Steam. Looks interesting but I have to wait until after the Steam sale because of coupon stacking...

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Has About Love, Hate and the other ones been mentioned in any of these threads yet?

Puzzle sidescroller made by the Tiny and Big developer, seems to be well regarded and came out this month. I only saw it because I have a coupon for it on Steam. Looks interesting but I have to wait until after the Steam sale because of coupon stacking...

Never heard of it, but I'd be thankful for an OP post ;)

flowsnake

About Love, Hate and the other ones - € 6.99
ss_d4a9f1fdc55c238633a2b0b543c464ca767800a3.1920x1080.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/277680/

Puzzle platformer by developer of Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers.

"About Love, Hate and the other ones is a puzzle game, in which you influence your surroundings by the force of Hate and the power of Love."

Game's actually been out for a while, the IOS version came out in 2012. Don't remember playing it but I have it, so I guess I could check the game out

flowsnake

Game's actually been out for a while, the IOS version came out in 2012. Don't remember playing it but I have it, so I guess I could check the game out

Oh, I didn't think of that, it's the kind of game that might be better on iOS. It did just come out on Steam at least.

Moobabe

Quick impressions on Cycho, 0h h1 and Fancy Pants Adventures World 4:

0h h1

I like this a lot, but then I'm also a fan of sudoku as well. Super simple but sufficiently difficult, a nice change for people who do a lot of sudoku.

Cycho

Won't load for me.

Fancy Pants Adventures World 4

Also won't load for me.

-------------------------------------------------

Highly Recommended

The Sun and Moon
This War of Mine (Just)

Recommended

0h h1

Doesn't work for me

Cycho
Fancy Pants Adventures World 4

Toma

Toma when did Cosmic DJ release? This year? I may need to find a spot on my GOTY list for it.
Yup, definitely a 2014 release. I wonder why I didn't see it when I went through all the monthly threads.

Toma

I played some more of Deadnaut and while the previous issues I mentioned are still very much problems, I gotta admit that Deadnaut has some strong merits. The theme of the game is drenched through every aspect of it. It is quite interesting how they managed to reinforce their key aspects (of you being in a command central, and this being a survival experience) in almost every gameplay element. Panicking soldiers, interrupted communications, soldiers slowly going mad, you ordering weapons instead of buying them outright, its all very well thought out.

I really want to like the game for all the merits it has, but unfortunately the missions are simply never interesting. The game sure is challenging and I like a good challenge, but it just fails to make me want to play it. The mission layouts and contents (I lost count how many dead bodies I investigated, none of which have any effect or even interesting descriptions) are boring, the weapon/equipment changes have no discernible effect and I still dont like the hacking.

Its not a game I would highly recommend, but considering the thought that went into making this games, its not quite just average either. I'd say its worth looking into since it is a rather unique experience, just dont expect your GOTY and consider it an interesting take on survival games.

I just played Cosmic DJ for a little and I find it surprisingly addicting. The game is simple, you select a instrument, "record" it and go to the next one as you fill the music an enjoyement meter gets filled and when it reaches a certain ammount you can go to the next level. A nice touch to the game is how the animations on screen are synchronized with the music being made.

Toma

I just played Cosmic DJ for a little and I find it surprisingly addicting. The game is simple, you select a instrument, "record" it and go to the next one as you fill the music an enjoyement meter gets filled and when it reaches a certain ammount you can go to the next level. A nice touch to the game is how the animations on screen are synchronized with the music being made.

Yup, fun game to play around with. I wish it had more content, but its a well made experience.

Nasreddin

I agree, it really is a great relaxing experience. It's a shame nobody played it.

Toma

Hmmm, I am really intrigued by Retro Pixel Castles. I have a thing for simulation games anyway, and this seems to be a mix of warcraft and town simulation. Problem is that it seems to be REALLY early in development with not that much content at the moment. Then again, its currently 50% off and the dev seems to update it quite regularly.

Here is a current trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enSI0S11d88

Hm......

Moobabe

Hmmm, I am really intrigued by Retro Pixel Castles. I have a thing for simulation games anyway, and this seems to be a mix of warcraft and town simulation. Problem is that it seems to be REALLY early in development with not that much content at the moment. Then again, its currently 50% off and the dev seems to update it quite regularly.

Here is a current trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enSI0S11d88

Hm......

Dive in and be the hero we all deserve.

Toma

Detective Grimoire
2 hour adventure game, very well animated and charming to play through. Just finished it and despite being rather easy, I really enjoyed my time with it, mostly because of the presentation and flow of the individual story elements. If you see this for cheap, its worth 2 hours of your time.

Elliot Quest
Others have already said enough about it, but yeah. Great little action adventure gem.

Endless Express
Interesting concept for a time based puzzle based on figuring out travel schedules, but wears rather thin after the novelty effect wears off.

Frail Shells
Rather straight forward depiction of the effects of war on a surviving individual and how that might mess up his head. I don't think its particularly clever or interesting, especially since that points has been made more interesting in several other games and movies.

Impulse
Not Impulse. Twin stick shooter about propelling enemies into nothingness. Works well, but not overly compelling.

Move
Enjoyable Puzzle game about connecting circles with the correct colour and creating an optimal flow of energy. Not particularly hard to play, but getting the gold medals does take some thinking later on.

Rampage Knights

Action RPG with randomized levels and loot. Not bad overall, but they still to polish this first version a lot in regard to combat fluidity, interesting level layout and overall progression.

Shootmephrenia
Still seems to be a prototype, but the levels are already interesting enough to be recommended. You need to shoot a bullet, and make sure to plan the deflections in a way to hit yourself. The ragdoll effect is a simple but rewarding effect at the end of every level, and some of those levels are surprisingly interesting. Very janky, but worth a look.

The Sun and Moon
Puzzle Platformer with highly interesting level design and polished controls. Very fun to play and highly recommended.

This War of Mine
Its a good game, just has too many flaws to reach the endless replayability of other survival/roguelikes games like FTL. Still one of the most notable releases this year though, especially through its great depiction of the setting.

>----------< Highly Recommended >----------<
Eliot Quest
This War of Mine
The Sun and Moon

>----------< Recommended >----------<
Detective Grimoire
Shootmephrenia
Deadnaut
Move
Courier of the Crypts

>----------< Decent-ish >----------<
Rampage Knights
404sight
0hh1
Impulse
Endless Express
Frail Shells

>----------< Bleh >----------<
Beat Shooter
C-Rush

Not many new highlights this month, considering I already played all highly recommended games before, but oh well. Still pondering about Retro pixel Castles, so maybe that turns out to be a positive surprise.

Anyone know of any new horror games that may have come out in the last month or so, or if something is coming out in January? Have there been any fixed camera horror games lately, like old school resident evil?

Toma

Anyone know of any new horror games that may have come out in the last month or so, or if something is coming out in January? Have there been any fixed camera horror games lately, like old school resident evil?

Not vouching for the quality of these games, but I heard about some recent interest in these games:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/286040/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/298950/

And there were 2 relatively well received top down Indie horror survival games this year (though no 3D models if I recall correctly), but I cant remember their names. I think Baddy played one and we featured them in these threads here. Might need to dig a bit for those. Maybe I'll remember the names later.

I assume you already played it given your point of interest, but Alien:Isolation seems to take the crown of the genre this year. If you played other games that you liked more, I'd love to hear your recommendations.

Not vouching for the quality of these games, but I heard about some recent interest in these games:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/286040/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/298950/

And there were 2 relatively well received top down Indie horror survival games this year (though no 3D models if I recall correctly), but I cant remember their names. I think Baddy played one and we featured them in these threads here. Might need to dig a bit for those. Maybe I'll remember the names later.

I assume you already played it given your point of interest, but Alien:Isolation seems to take the crown of the genre this year. If you played other games that you liked more, I'd love to hear your recommendations.
You're thinking of Claire
http://store.steampowered.com/app/252830/

Dascu

Nah, it was a top down thing. With a character walking around abandoned houses and dynamic shadows. If you didnt play it, we talked about it at least.

Darkwood?

Not terribly recent, but DreadOut is pretty good. I think it's getting a new episode in January. And I think Darkest Dungeon is planned for January or February.

---

Does anyone know what Jasper Byrne is up to? He was working on this 2D/3D kind of action game, but I don't think I've heard anything about it in months.

That was one of the two I meant!
... you are good.

These were the RPS impressions:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/07/25/the-wicked-and-the-weird-darkwood-impressions/

I forgot whether any one of us played it, did anyone post some impressions?
I did. They should be in one of the threads. Haven't played in a while (actually the only thing I've been playing the last three days has been Rain World, so good), but I remember it being very unsettling, atmospheric, tons of little details, and some incrediblely eerie sound design

A new alpha update recently released
alpha3_a.gif

Found my Darkwood impressions
Played for little over an hour. Definitely made the right choice, this game is great. The sound design, man, nothing else I've played since perhaps Capsule has had an atmosphere that benefited so much from the sound. The drawn-out screech as you drag a wardrobe over to block an opening. The creek of an opening door. The heft of your swings when you swing. Your panting breath as your stamina drops. The otherworldly moans and guttural sounds out there in the darkness. It adds so much to the tension and tone

The game is weird and eerie and atmospheric and scary. The opening just feels off (in a good way), really sets the mood. Combat is fast but also tense, as you need to be mindful of your stamina and each swing takes time. The attention to detail here is wonderful: the soft flickering of the oven pilot light, your character's animations as he clambers over a fence or readies his weapon, the trail of blood in your wake when you're bleeding from a wound, the daylight fading away as night comes

You feel desperate and alone, barely equipped with a shovel and a few bear traps as the night falls and your single flare sputters out. Pushing furniture in front of doorways and openings, using your meager supplies to barricade windows. This is true survival horror

Oh awesome, thanks so much guys! Looks like the production value on all these horror games have really gone up lately. Darkwood looks really good, seems to be doing something unique. I actually haven't had a chance to play Alien Isolation yet, have barely touched my ps4 lately (in crunch mode right now). Looking forward to getting caught up on a lot of games. Thanks again!

Toma

Does anyone know what Jasper Byrne is up to? He was working on this 2D/3D kind of action game, but I don't think I've heard anything about it in months.

Seems like there is no current info on this and I just noticed that he made quite a few games before Lone Survivor:
http://www.superflatgames.com/

Are any of those particularly notable? The Silent (Soundless) Hill (Mountain) 2 demake is kinda interesting, not sure about the others.

Dascu

Seems like there is no current info on this and I just noticed that he made quite a few games before Lone Survivor:
http://www.superflatgames.com/

Are any of those particularly notable? The Silent (Soundless) Hill (Mountain) 2 demake is kinda interesting, not sure about the others.

Damn, no new posts in over a year. Same for Twitter, except he just tweeted today about a new track he's making for Hotline Miami 2.

Moobabe

Oh awesome, thanks so much guys! Looks like the production value on all these horror games have really gone up lately. Darkwood looks really good, seems to be doing something unique. I actually haven't had a chance to play Alien Isolation yet, have barely touched my ps4 lately (in crunch mode right now). Looking forward to getting caught up on a lot of games. Thanks again!

The Forest is horror ish as well (it's coming to PS4 too I guess when it releases from Early Access)

Toma

Just as additional note: Forgot to mention Neverending Nightmares before:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/253330/

That one is worth looking into as well. Great atmosphere and lovely art design.

Hope you don't mind some more Rain World gushing. I must have played the alpha for almost four hours now, and it's just so much fun. You can alter the set-up files to change the room you start in and spawn different lizards so I've been setting up different arena fights and seeing how long I can survive.

The game just feels alive; like when you die, the world doesn't stop, but rather the lizards get into a massive brawl over your corpse, each one fighting to bring it to their den. Not only that, some lizards hunt each other, so while some are fighting over your corpse, Green and White are fighting to chase down a Blue who's desperately trying to reach the ceiling and stay out of range from While's chameleon tongue. It all just looks so natural and fluid.

Playing as Slugcat is so much fun. You know a game's mechanics are tight when just moving through the levels and jumping around is fun. You always feel outnumbered and outgunned. Without a rock or spear, you can only evade, flee, and hide, and even with those, it's better to pin a lizard to a wall with a spear and run away rather than a risk of an extended fight. Your agility is your greatest strength, but even then you're facing creatures that can crawl on walls and poles, have sticky tongues, chase you relentlessly, and can take a lot of punishment before dying or retreating

And the little details. Lizards freaking out near water. The refraction and shadowy water effects. The way leeches move menacingly under the surface and move in a terrifying swarm when something falls into the water. How every movement of slugcat and the lizards just feels right, with limbs and paws reaching and clawing for handholds and heavy tails swinging due to momentum and physics. The shadows shifing in the background

It's only the first world, still limited in terms of species and moveset, and the game is already great. Of course I'm somewhat biased, because I've been anticipating and following Rain World for so long, but I think that means I would have been even more disappointed if the game hadn't lived up to all the hype I had built up for it. But it does.

Toma

Hope you don't mind some more Rain World gushing. I must have played the alpha for almost four hours now, and it's just so much fun. You can alter the set-up files to change the room you start in and spawn different lizards so I've been setting up different arena fights and seeing how long I can survive.

The game just feels alive; like when you die, the world doesn't stop, but rather the lizards get into a massive brawl over your corpse, each one fighting to bring it to their den. Not only that, some lizards hunt each other, so while some are fighting over your corpse, Green and White are fighting to chase down a Blue who's desperately trying to reach the ceiling and stay out of range from While's chameleon tongue. It all just looks so natural and fluid.

Playing as Slugcat is so much fun. You know a game's mechanics are tight when just moving through the levels and jumping around is fun. You always feel outnumbered and outgunned. Without a rock or spear, you can only evade, flee, and hide, and even with those, it's better to pin a lizard to a wall with a spear and run away rather than a risk of an extended fight. Your agility is your greatest strength, but even then you're facing creatures that can crawl on walls and poles, have sticky tongues, chase you relentlessly, and can take a lot of punishment before dying or retreating

And the little details. Lizards freaking out near water. The refraction and shadowy water effects. The way leeches move menacingly under the surface and move in a terrifying swarm when something falls into the water. How every movement of slugcat and the lizards just feels right, with limbs and paws reaching and clawing for handholds and heavy tails swinging due to momentum and physics. The shadows shifing in the background

It's only the first world, still limited in terms of species and moveset, and the game is already great. Of course I'm somewhat biased, because I've been anticipating and following Rain World for so long, but I think that means I would have been even more disappointed if the game hadn't lived up to all the hype I had built up for it. But it does.

I assume there is a post for next month already?

Toma

Some end of the year questions:

My questions:
What was the biggest surprise this year? By that I mean a game that you never would have imagined to be good and you still loved.

What was the biggest disappointment? As in "a game you expected to be better" and were disappointed after playing".

Baddies questions:
What's the most innovative/original game you played this year?

What game emotionally resonated with you the most?

If you have a different question to add, just ask.

Toma

What was the biggest surprise this year? By that I mean a game that you never would have imagined to be good and you still loved.
Pilota - A top down simulation game about flying planes to make delivery quests or water crop fields? Cant say I expected to love it.
Cubesis - I am utterly in love with this game. From the weird setup to the unique level design ideas, this game was just a breath of fresh air that I didnt expect as it seemed to be a standard city building type game.
Tabletop Simulator - Who would have thought that a table + physics could be so engaging and host such a wide variety of great board game mods?

What was the biggest disappointment? As in "a game you expected to be better" and were disappointed after playing".
Deadnaut - So much promise, such a great setup and so many great impressions, but the gameplay just didnt come together for me.
Banished - Its not a bad game by any means, but the gameplay was wasted on the actual content. Would have needed a campaign or a multitude of different play scenarios.

Wok

Nidhogg - The funniest game to play with friends. It runs on any laptop. You just need two controllers and that is it!

Spelunky - The indie game I have played the most this year, and it was somewhat unexpected because I did not like the game so much last year. It takes some time to grasp how good the game design is.

Battleblock Theater - When I hear about a new indie platformer, I am skeptical. BT manages to bring a lot of humor to the genre. The atmosphere is unique and makes the game really enjoyable. I have not tested the coop' and I feel like am missing something.

XQZ01lf.png

The Talos Principle - I was expecting too much from the writer of The Sea Will Claim Everything. My biggest concern comes from a lack of empathy for the main character. I would say the game failed as much as Portal 2 succeeded with this regard. My second concern is the graphics: I feel like I am playing some Serious Sam games and I hate it.

Gang Beasts - A temporary disappointment since the game has the potential of Nidhogg but the controls are awkward. I think it will turn as a good surprise but for next year.

Ibb and Obb - Awful checkpoint system which makes the coop' game over the Internet all the more awful due to bad network code.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - So boring.

Goat Simulator - So pointless.

Okay, here're mine:

Super Puzzle Platformer

Sokobond

The Walking Dead (season 2).

Capsule: Wasn't sure what to expect and the game just blew me away with how it was able to envoke such atmosphere with such a minimalist presence

Crimsonland HD: I had played the demo for the original and disliked it a lot. But giving another chance with the HD version was such a good choice, because it's one of the best dual stick shooters around

The Fourth Wall: Perspective is in my top 10 freeware games. So it was surprising to learn that the level designer of that had worked on something else and I hadn't known, and that a concept as simple as screen wrap could work so well. I didn't think it could be an interesting mechanic but The Fourth Wall proved me wrong

Crypt of the NecroDancer: I hate Guitar Hero, and I'll never play DDR. Rhythm games and I don't usually mix well. The only other rhtym game I've played is Beat Sneak Bandit and that's really a stealth puzzle game (and it's fantastic). So I was hesitant going into NecroDancer.
My favorite roguelike this year? Probably.

Gods Will Be Watching: I was so excited after playing the Ludum Dare version. But the game really benefited from the tight focus. The concept didn't have nearly the same impact or effectiveness in the other scenarios.

Samurai Gunn: Don't get me wrong. I love the gameplay and the style. But it had so much potential for more arenas, more modes, just more everything, and...nothing, for months now

Okay, here're mine:

I have to think about the first, but This War of Mine really clicked with me, and resonated with me unlike any game since The Last of Us.

Toma

Good questions, added them to my own post for convenience.

Castle Doctrine - The Multiplayer concept is just a brilliant idea.
Cubesis - For just feeling all around original with its level ideas and game mechanics.

Eidolon - That game made me feel like wandering around the the wilderness like no other. Losing my orientation, trying to preserve my sanity and reason.
Crimsonland HD - Nostalgia :D
Banner Saga - Very effective at building a bond with the characters and the story. Character wise probably the strongest game this year.

What was the biggest surprise this year?
Rogue Legacy on PS4. I was looking forward to it, but didn't think I'd become so obsessed with it. Just one more run...

I enjoyed Mercenary Kings as well.

What was the biggest disappointment?
Strider? Not really indie though. Olli Olli probably, i thought it would be fun to just to freestyle skate around, game was too score/objective focused for me. Allso, Velocity 2X, just wasn't for me.

Super Hot. Seemed like a gimmick, but was instantly hooked. I can see this mechanic being in a big AAA game someday.

]What game emotionally resonated with you the most?
Perhaps Don't Starve, just got really invested into that game.

News that I forgot to post here:

My questions:

Hatoful Boyfriend - Talked about it earlier.

Slip - I was expecting a mix of bit.Trip Runner and Ikaruga, and while the game has both of these elements it didn't work well imo and the artstyle was all over the place

8 Bit Boy - I went to play this game with the expectations of it being a homage to old games, but in the end what I found was uninspired level design

Baddies questions:

Mountain - Many will diminish as a screensaver but at least for me, it was a fresh experience. Some times it could work just like a garden where I cultivate strange objects on my Mountain, other times it could work as a pastime where I played some music. In the end the Mountain is whatever you want it to be.

Waking Mars - Not released this year but I played it for the first time this year and I got invested emotionally in this game with the characters and even with the Mars caves and it's strange equilibrium.

Toma

Speaking of Cosmic DJ, cute little music toy I just found:
www.seaquence.org/new

You can change the note pattern/rhythm and add more creatures ("add" button) that make music together. A bit late to the party with that one, but oh well. Cool nonetheless.

Still going through games from past months, Super Time Force Ultra is an interesting game, the main mechanic of the game (rewind time) works well and firstly it may look a bit simple like you did a mistake then rewind time to redo that section though it also works on creating strategies where you pruporselly rewind the time to save your copy from the past and this way gain more powerful attack and an extra live.

Phawx

I did an LP on About Love, Hate and the Other Ones. It's essentially a sokoban-like. Push and Pull mechanics on 'Other Ones' and you can stack them and your two playable characters "Love" and "Hate"

The whole audio part of this game can be turned off after twenty minutes.

Overall, it's still a cute puzzle game. I have an 80% off coupon on Steam if anyone wants it.

Moobabe

Biggest Surprise

Dungeon of the Endless - this both was and wasn't a surprise to me. I bought it as soon as it hit Early Access so I knew what it was about, but I was surprised by just how much I liked it. It remains Amplitude's best game. Which brings me onto..

Biggest Disappointment

Endless Legend - I think maybe this has more to do with me than it does the game. Endless Legend ticks all the boxes for a Civ type game but, much like Endless Space, not much seems to.. happen? I loaded it up again the other night after Pylon put it in his top 5 and RPS gave it GOTY - I clicked around for 80 turns and achieved nothing. The games just aren't for me :(

Most Innovative or Original

Sunless Sea - I had to wrack my brains a little to think of what made me sit up and pay attention this year, not much did in truth, but Sunless Sea came pretty close. It's strongest aspect is the strength of its writing and that alone is innovative in gaming. But that every piece of information you gather has so much weight and value attached to it creates such a unique world is something extremely cool.

What game emotionally resonated with me the most?

Eidolon - I saw Toma posted that as well for his choice and it's really great to see it's not just me. Having said that - the beauty, I think, of Eidolon is that it may as well just have been me. I could be the only person in the world who wandered that lonely landscape, finding clues and just being in that world and it wouldn't have mattered.

It's one of the most understated and personal games I've ever played.

Top Bottom