• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2015 [February] Now Voting - Post 556!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Bad month, or is Desura dying?

Could be both, but I do get the impression that Steam being more open led to more of the interesting developers neglecting Desura outright and switching to a self publishing style or a self-publish-until-steam-release, especially considering that more and more games on Desura seam to be Steam key purchases, which the Desura community hates as well.

Just my impression though.

Could be both, but I do get the impression that Steam being more open led to more of the interesting developers neglecting Desura outright and switching to a self publishing style or a self-publish-until-steam-release, especially considering that more and more games on Desura seam to be Steam key purchases, which the Desura community hates as well.

Just my impression though.

I see. Dealing with the Steam behemoth seems to be a tough battle.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I see. Dealing with the Steam behemoth seems to be a tough battle.

Super annoying, nobody can win vs Steam, but Steam is about to monopolize PC gaming. Sales are fun and all, but I dont think there are many cases in history where a monopoly was purely good.

I mean we are already used to people not buying games, just because they arent on steam. I hope GOG galaxy or whatever they want to call it now takes a good jab at Steam.

Toma

Nexus?
I remember it being featured in the Upcoming section in one of the 2014 threads

"Requires Steam to Run", so that just proves my earlier point.

But yeah, that was easily the best thing I saw. Might be adding that to the new release list anyway.

Phawx

I can't seem to find the indie devs that mentioned sales but Defender's Quest has this chart:

defq_piechart_sales_2012-2013.gif

But I have read different accounts were direct was 0~% sales and GoG was 13% while Steam was 80%

Toma

I can't seem to find the indie devs that mentioned sales but Defender's Quest has this chart:

defq_piechart_sales_2012-2013.gif

But I have read different accounts were direct was 0~% sales and GoG was 13% while Steam was 80%

Yeah, that doesnt seem far off from what I imagined, too bad really because Desura gave me quite a few good and cheap gems. Probably need to switch my release checks to other websites at one point.

Yeah, that doesnt seem far off from what I imagined, too bad really because Desura gave me quite a few good and cheap gems. Probably need to switch my release checks to other websites at one point.
IndieGameStand and itch.io are your best bets
Especially itch.io, probably the best place to find good freeware games and under-the-radar gems

Moobabe

I think if Activision or Ubisoft signed exclusively to Origin it would shift the dynamic somewhat - but it would be a huge risk, probably one neither are willing to take.

Toma

IndieGameStand and itch.io are your best bets
Especially itch.io, probably the best place to find good freeware games and under-the-radar gems

Yeah, I will likely take my under-the-radar gem picks from itch.io starting next month and see how that goes.

titch

I think one key part(setting aside massive sales) is all my games in one place that puts some people off buying games from anywhere but steam.

As you say ultimately a monopoly doesn't do anyone any favours but with so many others places selling steam keys and have regular discounts it hasn't had a negative impact on buyers yet.

Toma

I think one key part(setting aside massive sales) is all my games in one place that puts some people off buying games from anywhere but steam.

As you say ultimately a monopoly doesn't do anyone any favours but with so many others places selling steam keys and have regular discounts it hasn't had a negative impact on buyers yet.

Sorta, but the whole discussion about devaluing game prices plays a lot into that (which in turn also led to more F2P mechanics and DLC to keep games profitable). There is a point to be made about game prices becoming cheaper anyway and I never would argue that Steam is the root of it all, but I definitely feel like Steam sped that up a LOT in favor of increasing their userbase.

Toma

This looks fascinating: http://duangle.itch.io/nowhere
Has anyone tried this out?

This description..
Still in early alpha stage, NOWHERE aims to be a holistic first person experience set within a mystic cosmos, focusing on emergent player-driven storytelling, strong social AI and high replayability through the use of procedural content, combining gameplay elements of exploration, survival, strategy, communication and adventure.

sounds so molyneux-ian, haha. Seems like a hard sell for 21$ currently considering the game doesnt have anything other than some space movement.

titch

Yeah fair point.

Regular massive sales and bundles every second day all tying in with steam has the punters flocking.

Didn't know about GOG Galaxy till now - looks very interesting - now that's something i would like to see take off and put a bit of pressure on steam.

Top Bottom