• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2016 [April] GOTY 2015 thread is done!

So excited for Stellaris. I'm doing the OT and it's coming along great
ZBBUEMH.gif

oIqP7xO.png

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
gif3.gif

gif1.gif

Rise & Shine is also going to have a cool, long demo at PAX East for you guys to try and see how unique really is.

If you can't make it to Boston, you can send me a PM and I'll hook you up with that very same demo, in case you wanna try the game out or simply don't know much about it :)
I played the demo and the game is amazing. It's like Alien Hominid got pumped full of awesome until it exploded into a supernova.

It has a foundation of really solid mechanics, which are paired with great art and a good difficulty curve. Can't wait for the full release.

Ahh fantastic mate, I'll be in that OT when you put it up. Very much looking forward to the Stellaris.
Got quotes from Interstellar, Star Trek, and The Forever War in the OT
---
It's funny. I've tried so much to get into Crusader Kings 2 and even Europa. They're totally games I should absolutely love, but I always bounce off like they're brick walls

But Stellaris sounds so inviting and more accessible. The fact that you start with a single planet and gradually build up to the grander universe and growing a sprawling empire sounds like the pacing is much more beginner-friendly. Being sci-fi makes it even better. You can uplift!

It's funny. I've tried so much to get into Crusader Kings 2 and even Europa. They're totally games I should absolutely love, but I always bounce off like they're brick walls

I have a similar relationship with CK and EU. I respect them as games but ever time I have tried to learn them I bounce off them fairly quickly (although to be fair it is an age ago since I last tried Crusader Kings). The small scale start to Stellaris does feel like it might be the thing to get me into the Paradox systems of grand strategy. The hope is that I end up loving Stellaris and take that love back into EU4 and finally 'get' that game and enjoy it.

Moobabe

I'm jealous of people who can get themselves immersed in something like EU4/CKII - I bounce off them big time.

I'll keep an eye on Stallaris though, I'm not overly convinced, but I'm optimistic.

Guys, check out windowframe. Much like Hop-Slide, it's another brilliant merging of game and .exe presentation. And probably the coolest use of the screen since Perspective and The Fourth Wall

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Guys, check out windowframe. Much like Hop-Slide, it's another brilliant merging of game and .exe presentation. And probably the coolest use of the screen since Perspective and The Fourth Wal

Omg, that is genius.

Edit: OMG.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
hello! if you run into any problems with the game I would love to hear (there are still a few bugs to stomp).

I had a graphical glitch in the "normal" version that led to the image of the first screen to appear for a millisecond every few seconds. That version also crashed if I put it in the background.

Crazy version works like a charm though.

Edit: Clicking outside of the window while walking right, makes me stuck in an eternal loop and I need to restart the game.

hello! if you run into any problems with the game I would love to hear (there are still a few bugs to stomp).
Hey, glad to see this getting attention from RPS. It really is a genius concept. I really hope you maybe take to heart that comment in the RPS article about a larger game built around the concept. Like how The Fourth Wall was expanded into Four Sided Fantasy

managore

I had a graphical glitch in the "normal" version that led to the image of the first screen to appear for a millisecond every few seconds. That version also crashed if I put it in the background.

Crazy version works like a charm though.

Edit: Clicking outside of the window while walking right, makes me stuck in an eternal loop and I need to restart the game.

that glitch is something I've never heard of, before. I feel like everyone that plays the game gets their own special quirk, unfortunately! the safe version might help with that, but sorry for making you run around in circles to get it working!

Toma

that glitch is something I've never heard of, before. I feel like everyone that plays the game gets their own special quirk, unfortunately! the safe version might help with that, but sorry for making you run around in circles to get it working!

Dont worry, I absolutely love your concepts and I need to agree with that RPS sentiment. I would love to give you money for a full game of this. I mentioned before that the other window game (forgot the name) was my favourite of your ideas so far, but this might be an even more promising concept.

Others might haunt me for it, but I enjoy this a lot more than Sausage Roll and would love to put my money towards such a project with more and difficult content instead. :) Looking forward to finishing it later. Maybe I'll do another video.

A gameplay marathon video of your games might be neat too.

Omg, that is genius.

Edit: OMG.
Right?

Oh, and I just discovered something. I wonder if it's intentional or not.
A stake will freeze any side it touches, so if you throw one at the ceiling and then move left till the left side of the screen touches the stake, the left side of the screen will freeze too.

Sell it to me in two sentences!
It's a tactical roadtrip across in a low-poly America ravaged by creatures. Limited seats, limited space, and limited fuel means every decision counts, harsh consequences means every action must be methodical, and you can befriend a dog as a companion.

Edit: reminds of Hoplite in a way, in that the encounters are more akin to very tight tactical puzzles than the more free-form combat/exploration of typical roguelikes. Everything you do must be economical. Survival means being fast, efficient, and knowing when you need to get your butt back to the car and get out of there.

For example, my first death. I had made it to the plains. Low on fuel, I opted to make a high risk stop. This map had a lot of prairie grass already burning, and some fast skittering enemies that can surround you easily. Staying in the car wasn't a good idea because we needed fuel and the car would only attract enemies towards it (thus inviting damage and probably blowing up the car.) So I made a decision to split up my duo, one to run for the fuel, the other to push dumpsters to make some barriers. But the fire was spreading, which also helped because that gave me a natural barrier between creatures if I was careful not to get trapped myself. Unfortunately, the person I was using to get fuel got trapped and had to make a bad move to avoid being burned, so she died and I had to make a choice with my remaining survivor: run for the fuel or go for another vehicle on the map which had more fuel but was back from the road. I used the current car to ram through a few enemies; the car took a hit which meant it would explode in the next turn, so I rushed out and let the explosion take out the creatures around that car. But before I was able to make it across the map to the other waiting car, I was surrounded and killed.

On the subject of bundle recommendation, latest Bundlestars one is killing it:

Bundlestars All Stars 6

For £1.45 you get

Lichdom: Battlemage
theHunter: Primal
Contagion
Year Walk
DISTRAINT
Dustforce DX
Cook, Serve, Delicious
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams (and DLC)
Diana Sisters: Dream Runners

Granjinha

Rise & Shine is also going to have a cool, long demo at PAX East for you guys to try and see how unique really is.

If you can't make it to Boston, you can send me a PM and I'll hook you up with that very same demo, in case you wanna try the game out or simply don't know much about it :)

Sent you an PM! :)

Dusted off Momodora yesterday evening and I can heartily recommend it if you like all dem open world platformer type of games. I am hesitant to call it a metroidvania due to that often conjuring up images of games being more RPG-like then they actually are (and Momodora isn't,) however it does do a great job emulating the open exploration aspect that is in early Metroid games and SotN which I very much enjoyed.

She Remembered Caterpillars - 2016 (PC, Mac)
fdrem0a.gif

http://jumpsuit-entertainment.com/

She Remembered Caterpillars is a fungipunk fantasy about love, loss, and holding on, told in the format of a color-based puzzle game. A tale as the bond between parent and child, this lush and bewildering title will have players testing their wits against a variety of challenges, some devious, and others outright nefarious, but all beautiful and very, very strange

From the RPS preview of Frozen Synapse 2
Emergency services will respond to events when needed, civilians can be caught in the crossfire and buildings aren’t just decoration – they have functions and owners
We need money so we storm a bank. It’d be possible to use stealth, performing a careful heist, but this time the squad goes in all guns blazing. Even so, there are a few ticks of quiet tension as our infiltrators move into position. As soon as the guards spot them, they respond, but not in the way you might expect.

Rather than returning fire and calling for backup, causing every unit on the map to zero in on the attacking squad’s position, the guards use their artificial brains to figure out what’s actually important. What should they be doing right now?

Engaging in a shoot-out on the bank’s periphery, in a lobby, doesn’t seem like a particularly smart use of their lives, so they set up defensive perimeters around the vaults and other items of interest instead. They take a good guess as to why your squad might be attacking the bank in the first place – to steal cash or important data hidden in secure deposit boxes – and they react accordingly.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...ign-and-inspirations-behind-frozen-synapse-2/

Wasn't there an "Indie games to look forward to in 2016" thread (or something along those lines)? I can't seem to find it, so maybe I just imagined it. Well, if it does exist, could someone link me? And I guess if it doesn't exist, then what are the indie games you guys are looking forward to in 2016? lol.

Wasn't there an "Indie games to look forward to in 2016" thread (or something along those lines)? I can't seem to find it, so maybe I just imagined it. Well, if it does exist, could someone link me? And I guess if it doesn't exist, then what are the indie games you guys are looking forward to in 2016? lol.
I'm pretty sure that thread existed. Actually I think I made it :p
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1152374

As for 2016 games I'm excited for...that's one long list but the main ones are Rain World, Aragami, Sorcery 4, and Elsinore

I'm pretty sure that thread existed. Actually I think I made it :p
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1152374

As for 2016 games I'm excited for...that's one long list but the main ones are Rain World, Aragami, Sorcery 4, and Elsinore

Yep, that's the thread! Awesome, thanks for making it. So many good games on the horizon. :)

Personally really looking forward to Ghost Song, Eitr, and Cuphead! 2016 has been so great already, and it's only April...

The sliding and dashing around makes it look really slick. Sorta reminds me of a top down Max Payne style shooter.
Yeah, looks really fluid and powerful. And seems like an interesting departure from Devolver's typical more pixel-art/throwback games. Adult Swim has a few games like that such as DESYNC and Small Radios Big Televisions, that seem like departures from their usual wheelhouse

New game published by Devolver

RUINER
RUINER - 2016 (PC, Mac, Linux)
BlandSlightIndigobunting.gif

http://ruinergame.com/

RUINER is a brutal action shooter set in the year 2091 in the cyber metropolis Rengkok. A wired sociopath lashes out against a corrupt system to uncover the truth and retrieve his kidnapped brother under the guidance of a secretive hacker friend. Combine preternatural reflexes, augmented tools, and the arsenal of fallen foes to tear down and dismantle the corporate titans of virtuality dealers at HEAVEN.

Top Bottom