• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2016 [July] Lets play some Indies!

Moobabe

Inside is one of my favorites of 2016, but I imagine Quadrilateral Cowboy will end up being so too

They're such different games. But man, I loved Inside. Haven't been this into watching and reading theories and discussions of a game since finishing SOMA

I won't be home until Wednesday night now - so I have a day or so to prepare myself and my thoughts for purchase times...

SO!

Inside
Quad Cowboy
Ghost of a Tale

Given money/time are short I think I would rather have something short I finish in 1/2 sittings OR something that is super deep mechanically that I can keep coming back to.

Man - having no time REALLY sucks.

Edit

Also We Happy Few is out in, like, 2 hours!

No Trace trailer

===

Quadrilateral Cowboy - $19.99 (PC)
A3i8QTz.jpg

http://blendogames.com/qc/

Hacking. Dial tone. Cassette decks. Sabotage. Suitcase decks. Brainbox injectors.
Quadrilateral Cowboy is a single-player adventure in a cyberpunk world. Tread lightly through security systems with your hacking deck and grey-market equipment. When you have a top-of-the-line hacking deck armed with a 56.6k modem and a staggering 256k RAM, it means just one thing: you answer only to the highest bidder.

Ghost of a Tale - $19.99 (PC)
hmijiV7.jpg

http://www.ghostofatale.com/

Ghost of a Tale is an action-RPG game in which you play as Tilo, a mouse and minstrel thrown into a perilous adventure. Through stealth and cunning you’ll be able to explore the secrets of Dwindling Heights Keep and navigate its dangers.

We Happy Few - $29.99 (PC, Xbox One)
j0DHmKe.jpg

http://compulsiongames.com/en/10/we-happy-few

From the independent studio that brought you Contrast, We Happy Few is an action/adventure game set in a drug-fuelled, retrofuturistic city in an alternative 1960s England. Hide, fight and conform your way out of this delusional, Joy-obsessed world.

Headlander - $19.99 (PC)
6nNR0LE.jpg

http://www.adultswim.com/games/headlander/

Launch into the ultimate head trip as you blast through psychotic robots in a retro 70's sci-fi action adventure from Double Fine Productions. It is a world of automation, a utopia gone wrong in which all of humanity have transferred their minds into robotic imposter bodies and are ruled by a computer.

Didn't realize that Daily Chthonicle got a paid expanded Editor's Edition currently on Steam Early Access

Daily Chthonicle: Editor's Edition - $2.99 (PC)
XTUD5ip.jpg

http://sinistersystems.com/home/?m=games&t=daily_chthonicle

This game lets you try on the role of a Supernatural Newspaper Agency boss and editor. The world it takes place in is a dark and haunted one, with ghosts, zombies, monsters and even shapeshifting murderers, pretending to be human after they have stolen their victims' bodies or infiltrated the humanity. It was inspired heavily by the works of H.P.Lovecraft and it builds on the atmosphere of uncertainty and noir of the 1940s

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Didn't realize that Daily Chthonicle got a paid expanded Editor's Edition currently on Steam Early Access

Daily Chthonicle: Editor's Edition - $2.99 (PC)

I cant even figure out what the paid edition added.

I cant even figure out what the paid edition added.
Mainly updating the interface, adding saving/loading, and adding more content. Mind you, it's early access and the dev will be working on the UI first.

I don't belive those changes are in yet

Faynwulf

Has anyone had the chance to get a 'This is the Police' review key? If yes, how is it? Reviews seam to be a bit "meh" right now. Also it seems to be delayed to August 2nd because someone at the publisher forgot to start the Steam evaluation process. Too bad, I was really looking forward to play a Simulation this Weekend. :/

Wozman23

Headlander Impressions:

Good amount of metroidvania
Various skill upgrades allow for varied tactics
Typical, laugh-out-loud DoubleFine wit, especially the puns and quips by the color-coded doors. I wasted so much time approaching locked doors just to let the doors taunt and berate me.
Fun mechanics on and off body
Cool use of the visible spectrum to signify unlockable doors.
A really infectious song that's now stuck in my head: Methuselah

I went in not knowing much about it, buying it mostly on the DoubleFine name, and was pleasantly surprised with just how good it was. I'd place it second only to Psychonauts.

Nabs

I'm liking Road To Ballhalla. I think I'm playing the final-ish build now, and they've polished it up a ton. I currently just beat this level that switches the perspective on you through different parts of the stage, expecting you to rotate your controller to match the change. It's neat, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't afraid of what's next. I feel like the game is laughing at me sometimes. All it's missing is an actual laugh track.

Moobabe

Hey, Moobabe, did you decide on what games to get?

I haven't even had a chance :(

Work and social life has been really busy this month BUT, thankfully, I'm in tonight.

I think I'm gonna go for Inside. Thought Limbo was great and reviews are super positive.

I think I'm gonna go for Inside. Thought Limbo was great and reviews are super positive.

If you liked Limbo then you probably will get a kick out of Inside. Their are differences (which are difficult to get into without spoiling large chunks of the game) but looking broadly the two games are similar in tone and mechanics.

Wok

Voting!

1. Inside: I was caught by the serene yet oppressive atmosphere of the game. The sounds and the visual arts are spot-on. The puzzle elements were clever, and the game did not feel not too short, in contrast to Limbo. Definitely a memorable pick for this year.
  2. Ghost: The dev knows his stuff, and the player can feel it: the controls feel right, there is a ton of content, and levels are full of hidden money, geek reference and weapon upgrades. What an impressive metroidvania game!
  3. There You Go: The game is short and cute, the puzzles are kind of simple, but hey, the game is free.
  4. SteamWorld Heist: I was disappointed by this game. I was expecting a ton of pinball shots and bounces, a bit like Angry Birds, but I ended up getting yet another turn-based tactic game, with too little depth.
  5. The Temporal Invasion: While the game does have some contents (in the conspiracy theme, which I am not fond of), the translation is not so great and the game ends up feeling a bit cheap.

Moobabe

If you liked Limbo then you probably will get a kick out of Inside. Their are differences (which are difficult to get into without spoiling large chunks of the game) but looking broadly the two games are similar in tone and mechanics.

Also that Day of Defeat "remake" from the Insurgency guys is out.

Fuck.

Wok

I don't know if you guys received what I received, but let us say I am in the first round of the beta of a game for which there is an NDA, and I like the game so far (I have finished World 1 based on the "level select" menu screen). The game is already well polished.

I don't know if you guys received what I received, but let us say I am in the first round of the beta of a game for which there is an NDA, and I like the game so far (I have finished World 1 based on the "level select" menu screen). The game is already well polished.
I know exactly what you're talking about ;) And I agree 100%

I know exactly what you're talking about ;) And I agree 100%

Yep. Had a blast going through World 1 and 2. Been anticipating the game for a long, long time and couldn't be more excited to play the alpha.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

I wonder how many people are in that Beta. Going by these comments, it feels like half the Betatesters are from this thread. :p

Wok

I received a recommendation for a cool game that I have just finished. The mechanic is SnakeBird made simpler, and I mean a lot simpler. It is a game jam by the devs of Crawl.

The Maître D' - Free (PC)
aKmhePV.gif

https://powerhoof.itch.io/the-maitre-d

As the Maître D' at a fancy French brasserie, it's your job to ensure patrons encounter the best service imaginable. Worm your way in with the hoity-toity by showing them their seats!

Had a go on the new and improved version of Slain and although it is very much improved from its original release, it is still a fairly pedestrian platformer/2d combat game (although at least one that doesn't feel rubbish to play now at least.) With the exception of the rather nice sprite work their is little point in playing it over the ocean of other quality platformers on steam.

Moobabe

Had a go on the new and improved version of Slain and although it is very much improved from its original release, it is still a fairly pedestrian platformer/2d combat game (although at least one that doesn't feel rubbish to play now at least.) With the exception of the rather nice sprite work their is little point in playing it over the ocean of other quality platformers on steam.

Damn - that sucks to hear.

Toma

On a more positive note, Block'Hood is basically EXACTLY my type of game. Love the simulation aspects and the zen nature of it:

rnZV1LU.png

Moobabe

On a more positive note, Block'Hood is basically EXACTLY my type of game. Love the simulation aspects and the zen nature of it:

rnZV1LU.png

I'm interested in this too.

Think I'm gonna pick up ABZU tonight - saw the reviews are positive but haven't read anything beyond the numbers to go in blind.

Toma

I'm interested in this too.

Think I'm gonna pick up ABZU tonight - saw the reviews are positive but haven't read anything beyond the numbers to go in blind.

If you liked Journey/Flower... you cant go wrong really.

Been on vacation away from my PS4, but I'll have Abzu and Bound awaiting for me when I get back. So that's exciting

Looks like Mother Russia Bleeds and Okhlos are releasing this month

Top Bottom