• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2016 [July] Lets play some Indies!

Between playing Anatomy and Inside one after another I think my next indie is going to have to be something with bright colours and flowers and rainbows everywhere. I don't think my brain can take another game which questions the fragility of the human soul.

Livelock - PC, PS4, Xbox One
Cm435CNUIAAHGWa.jpg

https://www.arcgames.com/en/splash/ads/livelock

Livelock is a co-operative top-down shooter where you play solo or with up to two allies to break the cycle of infinite war between machines. As one of the remaining Capital Intellects, your role is to unlock Eden and revive humanity.
Take control of one of three mechanical chassis - Hex, Vanguard or Catalyst – to defeat intelligent mechanical enemies.

Super Pilot - PC
Cmm5mseWIAAXDkO.jpg

https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=53625.0

Super Pilot is a no gravity arcade racing game in which you can create, edit, share and play other player's tracks in a few minutes.
Imagine a crossing between F-Zero GX and Mario Maker.

Thick Air - ????
Ln0WNDc.gif

https://twitter.com/dunenkoff

A sci-fi drone racing sim powered by Unreal Engine 4

Tether - ????
Cm8jPn4WIAAFJlf.jpg

https://twitter.com/FreesphereE

Sci-fi horror from some of the devs of Solarix

Phenotype - PC
Cm7lkyFWcAAqlOy.jpg

http://www.phenotype-game.com/

A science fiction First Person Shooter game with horror elements

Previously Mentioned

Astroneer

The Great Whale Road

Death Trash

Smash Bash

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Hi All,

We are entering Early Access on the 28th. The same day Niche start their EA as well, I don't think I have seen them on the list above.

Looking forward to some NeoGAF feedback throughout the process.

Cheers,
Joachim @ Sunburned Games

Very curious what comes out of your project. :) Good luck!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Pokemon Go is ... something else.

I cant fucking believe this game. Germany story (game not out here yet).
It makes people smile. It makes random people talk at midnight. It feels like an actual real life Pokemon trip. I was hiking to a nearby yellow arena today, thought I'd take it on. While preparing myself, I noticed someone else throwing a lure 2 streets away from me. I bike there and stand in the middle of a dark alley with no one else around me. 10 minutes later, some other players walk in, asking me if I dropped the lure. We all had some connection issues, caught the occasional Rattata and talked a bit about how fascinating it is that this game blew up. After the lure stopped, they continued on their way to a friend and I went back to the yellow arena. About the same time that I arrived, someone else arrives and we both look at each other and our phones. We both stop at the arena place. "Pokemon?" "Yep." "Which team?" "Blue" "GOOD, lets pair up then! :D"

After the arena battle, I see a nearby Ghastly, but it escapes. At the time it escapes, an Eevee pops up on my radar but I get a low battery warning. I try to catch it anyway, but couldnt find it. Since my phone was almost dead by now, I wanted to call it quits and drove back home. At about half way, I saw another silhouette I didnt have yet. A closer look tells me it was a Jynx. I didnt have much hope finding it with a few minutes left, but it was basically right under my nose. I started the fight, threw 5 pokeballs and... the connection dropped. I cursed into the night and restarted the game as frantically as I could, hoping I would get back in time before my battery is empty. Around that time, my battery showed the blinking X instead of being "just" empty.

Once I got back in again, I saw it for a few seconds, got a connection hiccup and then Jynx disappeared. Rather disappointed, I left the area and continued back home. A few metres further, I checked the radar again and the Jynx apparently was back! I raced back to the park, threw one of those "like" fruits, a few pokeballs and caught it on my third try.

10 seconds later, my phone went dark. I stood there for a few seconds and grinned... and made plans to buy a portable recharger very, VERY soon.

Toma

Never was a fan of Pokemon and I don't have much interest in a social game, but it's been endlessly fascinating to read about the phenomenon

I had absolutely no interest in a social game tbh, but this just works. I can't imagine its just the nostalgia either, considering the people I meet outside, who never even played a pokemon game before.

Bonkers.

I had absolutely no interest in a social game tbh, but this just works. I can't imagine its just the nostalgia either, considering the people I meet outside, who never even played a pokemon game before.

Bonkers.
I might try it if I didn't live in a suburban area where you need a car to get around (which I don't have). However family and I are going on vacation next month and that means a 18-hour roadtrip through almost every state on the east coast, so I might test it out then

Saw Ghost... immediately thought it was Ghost Song. Got excited. Turns out Ghost is just a very bland looking Ghost Song, shame.

Anyone any updates on when Ghost Song is out?

Saw Ghost... immediately thought it was Ghost Song. Got excited. Turns out Ghost is just a very bland looking Ghost Song, shame.

Anyone any updates on when Ghost Song is out?
Thankfully Ghost is actually really fun. You shouldn't sleep on it

And I think Jobbs said there would be new Ghost Song news in September

Toma

I might try it if I didn't live in a suburban area where you need a car to get around (which I don't have). However family and I are going on vacation next month and that means a 18-hour roadtrip through almost every state on the east coast, so I might test it out then

Suburban area does not necessarily mean there is nothing around you, you should just check if you can see a hotspot or two around you. I have literally nothing noteworthy around me, and some of the hotspots I have are literally just just random graffitis that people thought were interesting enough to put in the navigation app.

Wok

Pokemon Go is ... something else.

Holy crap, it is a video game that makes people go out and actually have a look at their surroundings!

If the game goes still strong, I might actually consider getting a smartphone.

So anyone picking up Necropolis? I am very interested but it sounds like their are a few optimization issues at launch which is making me wait till they get some patches out. And as a bonus the wait till let me see some other impressions before I jump in.

So anyone picking up Necropolis? I am very interested but it sounds like their are a few optimization issues at launch which is making me wait till they get some patches out. And as a bonus the wait till let me see some other impressions before I jump in.
I was going to, but Quadrilateral Cowboy and Abzu moved to the top of my "To buy" list for July and August

It does seem promising though. Destructoid gave it a 7/10

KingKong

Holy crap, it is a video game that makes people go out and actually have a look at their surroundings!

If the game goes still strong, I might actually consider getting a smartphone.

Pokemon GO being the thing that pushes someone into getting a smartphone in 2016 is really something. I feel like you'd have to really try not to have one by now

Zynx

Would like help recalling the name of a game I vaguely remember reading about in one of these threads: a strategy game which involved moving around and gathering resources from a dying galaxy.

Wok

Pokemon GO being the thing that pushes someone into getting a smartphone in 2016 is really something. I feel like you'd have to really try not to have one by now

It does not help that whenever I take public transportations, I see people deep into their Candy Crush game: they cannot see their surroundings and if they don't bump into each other in the metro corridors, it is by a last second glance and sidestep.

Or when I see little kids trying to draw their mum's attention, and the mum does not care and tries to get them further away as one would throw a ball or a stick for one's dog, just to go back to texting and laughing at texts.

I don't want to be these guys and these mums.

mbpm1

It does not help that whenever I take public transportations, I see people deep into their Candy Crush game: they cannot see their surroundings and if they don't bump into each other in the metro corridors, it is by a last second glance and sidestep.

Or when I see little kids trying to draw their mum's attention, and the mum does not care and tries to get them further away as one would throw a ball or a stick for one's dog, just to go back to texting and laughing at texts.

I don't want to be these guys and these mums.

If they didn't have a smartphone those kind of people would be the same way with something else.

arcanadei

Pokemon Go reminds me a lot of Ingress, which makes sense because it is the same company. I know people that love Ingress. I gave it a shot, and it was interesting for a month or two but not deep enough gameplay to keep me interested. I am betting Pokemon will have a steep drop off of users after couple of months but we'll see. I really hope it opens some doors for other AR games both for players and companies looking for 'the next big thing'. I was really disappointed when Paranormal Activity:Sanctuary shut down their servers. It had a lot more going on than Ingress or Pokemon. With the rise of VR, AR gives a similar portable experience that not many developers have touched. Night Terrors was one of the most promising and exciting titles I have seen in a long time, but the KickStarter campaign was a total failure even with a lot of positive press coverage. The IndieGogo campaign did much better, but still not much support. Shame, it looked like they had some great concepts and were doing some new and interesting things using mobile tech.

Toma

Pokemon Go reminds me a lot of Ingress, which makes sense because it is the same company. I know people that love Ingress. I gave it a shot, and it was interesting for a month or two but not deep enough gameplay to keep me interested. I am betting Pokemon will have a steep drop off of users after couple of months but we'll see. I really hope it opens some doors for other AR games both for players and companies looking for 'the next big thing'. I was really disappointed when Paranormal Activity:Sanctuary shut down their servers. It had a lot more going on than Ingress or Pokemon. With the rise of VR, AR gives a similar portable experience that not many developers have touched. Night Terrors was one of the most promising and exciting titles I have seen in a long time, but the KickStarter campaign was a total failure even with a lot of positive press coverage. The IndieGogo campaign did much better, but still not much support. Shame, it looked like they had some great concepts and were doing some new and interesting things using mobile tech.

A sharp drop off after a few "months" would still be pretty impressive overall, considering the impact and revenue, but considering how many people I saw today walking by my window with their phones, Ingress doesnt to be on the same comparison scale. It all depends on how much the game can continue to hook people, sure, but if Niantic keeps adding Pokemon, social features and events, this thing will live a lot longer than usual.

arcanadei

No doubt, it is already pretty impressive. You're right, they still have PvP and trading to properly implement. There will be a good chance it keeps people around longer and even brings in more when they do. I just hope it isn't looked at by the industry as an exception, or only successful because of the Pokemon brand and drives others to more innovation in mobile and AR games.

Pokemon GO's even taking over the Indie thread! It's an unstoppable juggernaut

No, but seriously, it's always interesting to see what mobile game blows up and becomes a phenomenon. The social portable aspect is something that makes the platform unique. Nothing else has the ubiquity or ease of access or natural social design like mobile devids

Man, why can't Quadrilateral Cowboy have a preorder? I want to throw money at it already

Anarcute - $14.99 (PC, Mac, Xbox One)
DrzKlxh.gif

http://anarcute.com/

Anarcute is a rampaging riot simulator, combining adorable aesthetics with huge-scale chaos, colourful destruction and crowd-beat’em all gameplay!
These are dark times. A group of evil corporations has taken over the major cities of the world. They took control of the media, brainwashed the police and now shamelessly dictate the citizens' lives from the heights of their skyscrapers.
It is time to act! Take control of the revolution to face the terrible Brainwash Patrol who’s dominating the world.

Intersection - $14.99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
ct0J0LT.gif

http://narwalengineering.com/intersection

InterSection is an interdimensional physics puzzle game where you exist in the intersection of two worlds. You must exploit this unique situation to pass obstacles.
You exist in the InterSection of two worlds: explore them both, discover the secrets of the between, and link the mysterious runes to connect your worlds.

Necropolis - $29.99 (PC, Mac)
oaRVslW.jpg

http://necropolisgame.com/

NECROPOLIS combines third-person action with Rogue-lite dungeon-delving for a game that’s fast-paced and addictive, yet diabolically hardcore. You play as a nameless adventurer attempting to escape a living, magical dungeon that reconstructs itself each time you play, with only one way out - down

Klocki - $0.99 (iOS, Android, PC, Mac)
screen2-1920_orig.png

http://klockigame.com/

Klocki is my second puzzle game after successful "Hook".
Your goal is to connect different types of lines together.
Its a relaxing and minimal experience. Loaded with a lot of different puzzle mechanics.

KonradLaw

Klocki. The moment I saw that name I knew it had to be made by polish developer, since "klocki" means "toy blocks" (like the one Lego uses) in our language :)

Ugh, going to have to get Abzu on PS4, which means I'm going to have three long weeks to play it.

===

1) Inside
2) House of the Dying Sun
3) Ghost

Inside
This and Oxenfree are currently locked in mortal combat for my favorite game of the year here. Last year, it was SOMA that suck with me after days after, compelling to discuss and dissect its narrative. This year, it's Inside. Playdead's long-awaited successor to Limbo is absolutely fantastic. From the oppressive tension of its opening, that only gets ratcheted up as you traverse through this bleak Orwellian nightmare of a landscape, to the incredible animations, subtle soundtrack, and finely-tuned pacing, it's one hell of a journey. And yes, the finale is awesome as you've heard...but it's nothing you can fully experience just watching it. You need to play Inside for that praised sequence to really work its magic

So play it. What are you waiting for?

House of the Dying Sun
The muted rumble and thuds of your weapons. The rasp of your oxygen mask. The tinny chatter of your wingmen, The mechanical whir when you reload or switch weapons. House of the Dying Sun's combat wouldn't be nearly as satisfying without its stellar sound design. And what wonderful combat that is, as you unleash homing missile and torpedoes, kinetic autocannons and flechette spreadshot. Holding a button lets you shift drift forward, maintaining velocity while rotating around, allowing for deft maneuvers and precise strafing runs. House of the Dying Sun's lean style is practically a breath of fresh air compared to the sprawling sims and strategy games often found in the space genre. No map to travel, no trading or hangars to buy a better fleet, no smaller jobs to build up your reputation. House of the Dying Sun understands that its strongest aspect is its combat, and streamlines the space shooter formula to make sure you're back into the interstellar dogfights as fast as possible.

Ghost
Haven't played as much of this I'd like (I blame Sony for making PS4), but what I have played is a solid sci-fi metroidvania with engaging upgrades and combat, an interesting story, and a lots of little touches and details that elevate the game. A great follow-up to Unepic

Stoze

Next, next week is totally stacked (25th & 26th);
Quadrilateral Cowboy, Obduction, Headlander, We Happy Few (early access), Hyper Light Drifter on PS4

Will probably end up only playing the first 2 at least for a while, but man it's going to be quite the month.

Top Bottom