• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [December] Now Voting - Post 741!

Vector - $6.99 (PC)
ss_bc8452cbdfc3ccebc070423b97d6feffd8b055a6.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/248970/

Vector is an exciting, arcade-style game featuring you as the exceptional free runner who won’t be held down by the system. The game opens with a view into a totalitarian world where freedom and individually is nothing more than a distant dream. But the heart of a freerunner is strong, and you so break free. Run, vault, slide and climb using extraordinary techniques based on the urban ninja sport of Parkour all while being chased by “Big Brother” who’s sole purpose is to capture you and bring you back.

Before you guys go on another "IOS port with a jacked up price" rant, devs said this on Steam:
This version of Vector is growing and will get free unique content neither mobile or FB versions will have.

The PC version is less grindy. And there will be additional changes. First there will be full game controller support. And we add a level editor, players can create their own dystopian stages and tweak the game's rules. A hunter mode will change the way the game is played as well - you are the cop!
And of course all of this content will be available for FREE as DLC. Purchase this version - and all future content will be yours.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I thought, I just don't know where to look and you surely would know something like it. :)
Guess not, I'll look into other options then.
Thanks

Let us know if you end up finding something.

And also:
One Way Heroics thread up:
wtdpzsR.png

ibuVfeoDn3QlSD.gif

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=727834

Took me long enough, sorry for the wait. I hope the thread results in some traffic/purchases. Best of luck to you guys over at Playism.

To the others: Post your impressions over there, buy the game and join us, ask questions/discuss progress and whatever the fuck you want. Lets try to keep the thread alive for a few days at least to keep it visible.

Thread is barren, go play the game and post some comments :p
Someone is also doing a giveaway in the thread if you cant afford $1,99.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Vector - $6.99 (PC)

Before you guys go on another "IOS port with a jacked up price" rant, devs said this on Steam:

You make it sound like the "other" rants were injustified. Game looks nice though, seems to be more to it than just the usual endless runner fare.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Thanks again for making these threads; they're one of my favorite things to read on GAF.

Also I thought I'd share my Steam review of Coin Crypt:

Coin Crypt, currently in Early Access, is a top-down roguelite in which you brave a randomly generated dungeon in search of coins. Each coin is assigned a traditional currency value but also doubles as a separate item in your inventory used to attack, defend or heal, as well as to cause or cure status effects. Dozens of unique coin types exist in the game.

Dungeon design is basic and not much makes one room or floor stand out from another, aside from the occasional environment change. You’ll find most of what you’d expect while exploring: shopkeepers who will trade upgrades for coins; secret rooms; random elements like coin hungry cat pillars (not to be confused with caterpillars); enemies ranging from skeletons to bandits to grannies; and chests which contain coins, keys or upgrades. Enemies will chase you if you venture too close, and once you come into contact you’ll be taken to another screen to duel it out.

Battle is where Coin Crypt genuinely tries to be original and takes place in first-person with your palm stretched out before you, with a random selection of coins in it. You can either use one of the coins in your hand or redraw for new ones, but the clock is ticking and both options have a cast time. Meanwhile you can see how close the enemy is to completing his action, what coin he’s using and how many coins he has left. If you survive until he runs out of coins, you win, and if you destroy him before he runs out you’ll also get his unused coins as loot.

Managing what coins you have on hand is an important balance that means you can’t snatch up everything for sale in every shop you find, because if you run out of coins during battle you will die the same as if you’d been killed. Upon death you can spend the total currency value of coins you found to unlock additional characters, each with a unique strength and weakness.

Coin Crypt is easy to pick up and put down, and almost seems more suited for handheld devices and touch controls than PC; however, it plays perfectly fine with mouse and keyboard and the developers have set a very reasonable five dollar asking price, so make your own call here.

You make it sound like the "other" rants were injustified. Game looks nice though, seems to be more to it than just the usual endless runner fare.
I've played the hell out of the IOS version. It's level based, not endless, and timing is very important. The bonus levels and second world onward, there are multi-path levels. And as someone who enjoys watching parkour, the animations are top notch.

Played the demo, this is definitely the best version. Keyboard controls are so much better than touch and everything runs super smooth.
---
Don't ask this often, but would anyone be open to gifting this to me? I have games to trade to compensate (Receiver, Shelter, Dustforce [Desura], Escape Goat [Desura], a few others)

More_Badass linked me to some Overgrowth parkour videos, damn son. Might need to plonk down the moolah for it after making these GIFs.

You should. Overgrowth is awesome. The editor is extremely easy to use, so you could throw together your own parkour setup in a matter of minutes. Very organic combat with easy-to-learn/hard-to-master controls. And the blood! The blood.

Journal is available to preorder ($10 for DRM-free copy)

Trailer
Journal is a narrative driven adventure game by Richard Perrin, the creator of Kairo and the white chamber, with art and writing by Melissa Royall.

Enter the pages of the hand painted world of Journal. A journey through the life of a young and troubled girl as she tries to face up to the choices and responsibilities that come with childhood. An experience that questions the reliability of how we choose to remember events and explores the truths hidden within our dreams.

JournalScreenshot2.png

Gazoinks

I cannot for the life of me figure out where to go to actually play Catdammit. Any help? I can't find a link on their site.

daydream

Banned
Awesome

One Finger Death Punch
Light
Dex
Out There Somewhere
Stasis
Continue?9876543210
Towerclimb

Edit: wait a second, Towerclimb was already Greenlit in October

Also Frogatto, Girls Like Robots, The Girl and the Robot (what is it with girls and robots?), Paper Sorcerer, Potatoman Seeks The Troof and Saturday Morning RPG stand out to me, as well as a few others that I recognize (but wouldn't endorse).

Path of Shadows is a pretty interesting stealth game, I would definitely buy a more fleshed out version. Teleporting in and out of shadows was a neat mechanic and reminded me of the Blink ability from Dishonored. The movement was kind of limited though, the character can't jump or climb which is kind of a shame.

Gazoinks

Impressions round two:
-Cave! Cave! Deus Videt: Most definitely a thing! I'm not entirely sure what's going on, but I'm very curious to see more. Plus Bosch is a great artist so there's that.
-Blade Rush: Like the concept, but I can't get past level 3. I guess I just suck. ;_;
-CATDAMMIT!: Score attack game where you run into a bunch of dudes on your way through a level without stopping. Alright, but too minimal to encourage me to keep playing.
-Ex Amante: This... glitched out on me or something partway through. Still, unless there's a twist at the end, I got the idea. Felt like a fairly average "art game" with the bad connotation of that term (walk in a straight line or do nothing at all!). Had some interesting potential with the choices it gave you, but I'm not sure how much it actually affected things (as I said, I was unable to finish it). Visually there was WAY TOO MUCH BLOOM. I CAN FEEL THE SEARING ON MY RETINAS. It also didn't really make use of the "islands floating in space" aesthetic like yer Kairo or yer Bastion.

Speaking of which... I finished Kairo a few days ago and it was really good! Very much recommended if you like exploration games (it's linear, but has a real feeling of discovery) and subtle storytelling.

Great artsyle!

Gameplay-wise it looks a lot like Aztaka.
Yeah, as someone who absolutely loves Greek mythology, seeing the classic art style brought to life is a treat

Added the link to the site
Impressions round two:
-Cave! Cave! Deus Videt: Most definitely a thing! I'm not entirely sure what's going on, but I'm very curious to see more. Plus Bosch is a great artist so there's that.
-Blade Rush: Like the concept, but I can't get past level 3. I guess I just suck. ;_;
-CATDAMMIT!: Score attack game where you run into a bunch of dudes on your way through a level without stopping. Alright, but too minimal to encourage me to keep playing.
-Ex Amante: This... glitched out on me or something partway through. Still, unless there's a twist at the end, I got the idea. Felt like a fairly average "art game" with the bad connotation of that term (walk in a straight line or do nothing at all!). Had some interesting potential with the choices it gave you, but I'm not sure how much it actually affected things (as I said, I was unable to finish it). Visually there was WAY TOO MUCH BLOOM. I CAN FEEL THE SEARING ON MY RETINAS. It also didn't really make use of the "islands floating in space" aesthetic like yer Kairo or yer Bastion.

Speaking of which... I finished Kairo a few days ago and it was really good! Very much recommended if you like exploration games (it's linear, but has a real feeling of discovery) and subtle storytelling.
I'm up to level 12 or 15 in Blade Rush. What were you having trouble with?

Gazoinks

Yeah, as someone who absolutely loves Greek mythology, seeing the classic art style brought to life is a treat

Added the link to the site

I'm up to level 12 or 15 in Blade Rush. What were you having trouble with?

I just can't make the jump off the first kill high enough to get to the second dude.

I just can't make the jump off the first kill high enough to get to the second dude.
Is this the level with one guy on the bottom and the second up top on another platform?

You have to kill the lower guy in a way that slides you off the platform, jump off his body in mid air. This will get you far and high enough to reach the right side wall; then jump up the wall to reach the second guy

Just spent some time playing through the Escape Goat 2 alpha http://www.magicaltimebean.com/escape-goat-2/

After a bit of a steam key related mix-up (check your humble store for a new one if you couldn't access the alpha earlier) Escape Goat 2 is back with a short taste of what is to come.

The first thing you'll notice as you start up the handful of levels, is how much of a graphical leap there is over the original. Everything in the game has received a significant upgrade from the menus to the main sprites and especially the environments.

From that base, things proceed in much the same way as the first game. Mechanics such as jumping, throwing switches and using your mouse companion are introduced progressively. While this is great for new players, be aware that veterans will not find anything too taxing in what is on offer. If you have played the original you'll know exactly how to get through each of the challenges without reading the hints, with only the final levels of each path representing any sort of difficulty.

Controls are still extremely tight, the levels logical and the sense of always making progress seems intact. My only slight quibble is the art change has meant the charm of the original goat has been lost in the translation. It isn't that the new goat isn't without charm, it is just that it is a different sort of look. Given that, an optional pixel Goat would be a welcome addition.

The main new feature introduced is a branching structure care of a mini-map. While it doesn't play too big a part in this demonstration (the choice is simply binary at one point) you could imagine that the idea is expanded upon in the full game. Just how well it works and how many options it provides remains to be seen. Ultimately you will probably want to visit every area anyway so it might not play too big a factor beyond the simple gate system of the first game.

On the other hand, it would have been nice to try the "other path" out without starting from scratch. Hopefully the full game does let you go back and try an alternate path at will.

Overall there isn't much to complain about here. Escape Goat is back, it looks amazing and the quality of the music is still excellent. This alpha is more of a tease at this stage for veteran players, but if you had any doubt about the quality of the final experience, getting your hands on this will more than settle those concerns.

rybrad

Woah, I've never heard of this game before. Is good? Looks pretty cool.
Dull and piss-easy right now and I say that as a huge fan of the genre. Maybe the DLC will make me change my mind but I was greatly disappointed at how little I wanted to replay this game after finishing it.

Dull and piss-easy right now and I say that as a huge fan of the genre. Maybe the DLC will make me change my mind but I was greatly disappointed at how little I wanted to replay this game after finishing it.
I concur. I like the freedom of movement and stealth elements, and the tactics are cool, but I felt that it was too easy, especially with so much ammo, health, and currency lying around. There aren't enough weapons or magic, and the enemy designs just weren't weird or unique enough for a game inspired by Lovecraftian fiction. Has a lot of potential though

---
Early and short Starbound impressions, will definitely go more in-depth once I actually make some progress:
Played for almost two hours, barely progressed (still searching for iron for the tutorial mission). I've only played Terraria on IOS, but this feels and plays so much better than that game. The combat feels more refined and just more fun, animations and art is improved, the menus are better, the wealth of weapons and gear is incredible. The tutorial is much better integrated into the actual game, compared to what I played of Terraria at least. Haven't any major bugs, crashes, or glitches yet.

Flunkie

Banned
Hey Toma and fellow indie gamers - as a geologist, is there any indie games that might interest me in particular that isn't named Minecraft or Terraria (not that I absolutely love those games)? I get excited about games like Oil Rush and The Oil Blue (hey chubs) because the theme (not necessarily the gameplay) is so close to my field of study, so it'd be cool to have a game that catches both the theme and as close to the gameplay as I'd expect. Sorry if this post is very jumbled, been working on a paper and am very tired.

Hey Toma and fellow indie gamers - as a geologist, is there any indie games that might interest me in particular that isn't named Minecraft or Terraria (not that I absolutely love those games)? I get excited about games like Oil Rush and The Oil Blue (hey chubs) because the theme (not necessarily the gameplay) is so close to my field of study, so it'd be cool to have a game that catches both the theme and as close to the gameplay as I'd expect. Sorry if this post is very jumbled, been working on a paper and am very tired.
What aspects are you looking for? Exploration-type games, or games focused on collecting minerals, or idk....map games or something? Maybe some more concrete examples would help narrow down so games

I concur. I like the freedom of movement and stealth elements, and the tactics are cool, but I felt that it was too easy, especially with so much ammo, health, and currency lying around. There aren't enough weapons or magic, and the enemy designs just weren't weird or unique enough for a game inspired by Lovecraftian fiction. Has a lot of potential though

The NG+ is supposed to be harder and there is also a true ending, but like you said there really wasn't enough content to justify multiple playthroughs.

I'm hoping this expansion changes that.

Flunkie

Banned
What aspects are you looking for? Exploration-type games, or games focused on collecting minerals, or idk....map games or something? Maybe some more concrete examples would help narrow down so games

More the first half than the second half. Exploration/finding mineral/hydrocarbon deposits/economical practices of selling minerals/oil, that stuff.. I really like games like Miner Dig Deep and SteamWorld Dig on 3DS. But I'm not talking mainly about games like that. I'm just asking if anything "geology" strikes a cord with something someone has seen.

Not map games... we are not cartographers or geographers :p

Gazoinks

More the first half than the second half. Exploration/finding deposits/economical practices of selling minerals, that stuff..

Y'know, that sounds pretty cool. I'd like to know too!

Does Dwarf Fortress count? It probably has one of the more detailed stone and mineral systems in a game.

Gazoinks

Always been too intimidated to try DF...

It's actually not that bad. Just download the Lazy Newb Pack and follow this guide and you're good to go. I honestly think it's impenetrability is kind of overstated. It's complex, but you don't need to know a lot of it to start playing.

More the first half than the second half. Exploration/finding mineral/hydrocarbon deposits/economical practices of selling minerals/oil, that stuff.. I really like games like Miner Dig Deep and SteamWorld Dig on 3DS. But I'm not talking mainly about games like that. I'm just asking if anything "geology" strikes a cord with something someone has seen.

Not map games... we are not cartographers or geographers :p
Let's see...

Lacuna Passage is an exploration/survival game set on an accurate Mars. Not releasing till the end of 2014 though

Spice Road is a "strategy trade empire building on the old Silk Road. Town building, social and ecomomic simulation game." Beta out now

Wander is a multiplayer game focused 100% on exploration. No combat, just working together to explore and map out the world. Beta out now

There are probably a ton of others. I'll keep looking.

Top Bottom