• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [July] Now Voting - Post 874!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Is it open world, hubs, linear? Action, more RPG focused? All I really know is that it's first person and has a focus on melee combat

Its not really open world, though the environments can be rather sizeable. And its full on action, the games focus is all on hand to hand combat and you mastering how counters, jabs etc work. The best thing about the game is the art direction and the melee combat. The art direction/character design especially is just so outlandish, it makes you appreciate it since there is nothing else quite like it. Thought just a fair warning that it feels a bit clunky at times, as expected from low budget 3D games.

Its not really open world, though the environments can be rather sizeable. And its full on action, the games focus is all on hand to hand combat and you mastering how counters, jabs etc work. The best thing about the game is the art direction and the melee combat. The art direction/character design especially is just so outlandish, it makes you appreciate it since there is nothing else quite like it. Thought just a fair warning that it feels a bit clunky at times, as expected from low budget 3D games.

4FBEC0E8C7702C90295379C8229B0B4510537C59

McSpidey

Pretty cool, So hungry (Dave is homeless) is coming to the Wii U :)
Twitter announcement
Trailer/site - http://sohungrygame.com
Dave is homeless

In order to survive, to eat, Dave has to beg

Not everybody gives..

What is So hungry?
So hungry is a game all about the life of Dave, a homeless person trying to exist in an un-forgiving world.

Take on the role of Dave and find ways of getting money to buy food to survive and also save to allow him to buy his own place one day and get off the streets.

The entire concept is based on the developer, Byron Atkinson-Jones having witnessed a whole new scale of homelessness whilst visiting the Game Developer Conference at San Francisco in March 2013. Part game, part social statement, So hungry is a small glimpse into some aspects of harsh life on the streets.

This game stuck out to me because I had the same experience when I went to GDC a few years ago.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Tomorrow Wayback Wednesday!

Going to write up a small blurb about it tomorrow.

Hey Toma you may want to include Guacamelee in the next month thread if you already didn't.

Grief.exe thread about it.

Today, IGN can confirm that Guacamelee! is coming to Steam. It will be available on Thursday, August 8th, and will cost $14.99 (£11.99 and €13.99 for our European readers). Oh, and it will come packing a bunch of goodies, too.

In addition to the main game, Guacamelee! Gold Edition comes with two DLC packs – the Costume Pack and The Devil’s Playground – as well as full Steam functionality, including Steam Trading Cards, Achievements, leaderboards, cloud saving, and more

Finally tried the Teleglitch demo...yeah it's awesome. #1 on my Wishlist now. Love the art style and the distortion when you fire your weapon, the weapons sound and feel powerful, the tension is palpable

Last moments before I died (on level 1)...being chased by a pack of things, low on ammo, health flashing red, drop an explosive behind me, take out most of the pack, down to six rounds, trying to make each shot count. I make it, go through a door, get swarmed, panic and race to get my one use rocket launcher out...and miss the shot. I survived 13 minutes.

Used to hate difficulty games, now I love roguelikes (well modern ones)

Hey Toma you may want to include Guacamelee in the next month thread if you already didn't.

Grief.exe thread about it.

Niiiiiiiiice, that's an awesomely quick announcement to release date. I gotta admit I forgot slightly about Guacamelee but I probably grab it next week. I hope it keeps the local co-op, (I am presuming here the game had local co-op in the first place. I know it had co-op but it might have been online only which would have been a little ridiculous.)

August 8 is also the release day for Spelnuky. :D

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIII! What a day,

Hey guys!
looking at you Toma!

If possible we would like the next Playism title, Unholy Heights, to be included in the August Indie Game thread!

We are aiming for a Playism launch date of 8/16. Regarding Steam....waiting on an response and if not we will set up a page ASAP on Greenlight so people can get Steam codes when the game is greenlit.

There is a good preview on USgamer if you want more info!

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/there-is-life-outside-your-apartment
(the trailer in the article still uses the in-game text from the original XBLIG submission--which was shot down because of the bad localization! It's all been improved now!)

I only got to play half of Guacamelee on my friend's PS3, so this will be awesome to get to actually complete the game. Great game, one of the best this year.

iysnbokaI8P9u.gif

For anyone who hasn't played it, just know you might cry (in a good way...maybe?) when Tule Tree comes about.

Toma

First things first:

Sentinel just got an Indiegamestand Deal for $0,25+. Paying $1+ gives you Steam/Desura/GoG keys once they become available:

Sentinel
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=596791

From the OT:
Its a tower defense game with the tried and true formula of you defending your base against incoming creeps with your towers. However, this game differentiates itself from other Tower Defense game in 2 regards. First of all, just building towers wont get you anywhere. The game is HARD. Your towers have energy levels that affect the performance of these towers and you will need to adjust these energy levels accordingly to allow for the best possible level progress. It has some undeniable puzzle elements in that regard. The level design is also rather refreshing since it sometimes cleverly uses genre tropes against the player. E.g. Most powerful tower is always the best one to use? Wrong.

Also it features a mindboggingly good electronic/housey soundtrack. This is one of the few games I just booted up to listen to its soundtrack while playing a bit and currently $1,50 also gives you the soundtrack on top.

Best thing to help that game during the deal would be to bump the above thread a bit during the time the deal runs? Anyone interested? Anyone curious? Anyone picking it up? Please also post that over here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=596791

Toma

August 8 is also the release day for Spelnuky. :D

Hey guys!
looking at you Toma!

If possible we would like the next Playism title, Unholy Heights, to be included in the August Indie Game thread!

Since they are all releasing in August, they would be games for the September thread if we go by the current thread rules (giving every game 30 days of voting time). Any thoughts on that?

Toma

CRszFvh.png

That idea came up during a discussion on feedback in this thread and its an awesome idea that hopefully gets picked up by you guys. A problem even this thread seems to show, is that people still likely avoid the very unknown titles that might not have all that great looking production values. The idea someone came up with was dedicating a day to playing any of the games from the past threads that you havent played yet and post your impressions about it, be it good or bad. That way we wont forget the games from the past threads completely and it allows us to check on some other games :)

Here are the past thread links:
I recommend checking for the games in the OP rankings of the april, may, june and july threads and checking out a game high up on the ranking that you didnt get to yet, since its likely that those are among the better ones anyway.

And just fyi, Sentinel would be applicable for this as well, and it currently enjoys a 97,50% off deal over on IndieGameStand. But there are plenty of free games as well in the older threads if you dont want to burden your wallet that much ;)

Since they are all releasing in August, they would be games for the September thread if we go by the current thread rules (giving every game 30 days of voting time). Any thoughts on that?

Yo Toma,

Oh yeah my apologies! I should have specified that I wanted it posted in the "Games to Look forward to" part of the thread for August.

Looking forward to sweeping the voting come September though! >;)

Toma

Yo Toma,

Oh yeah my apologies! I should have specified that I wanted it posted in the "Games to Look forward to" part of the thread for August.

Looking forward to sweeping the voting come September though! >;)

Yeah, I've got no problems with that :) I am actually really curious about the game since the descripting intrigues me a lot. I will definitely post some impressions once I get around to buying and playing it. If its not too expensive at least, since I have more than enough games to buy each month for this thread ;)

Yeah, I've got no problems with that :) I am actually really curious about the game since the descripting intrigues me a lot. I will definitely post some impressions once I get around to buying and playing it. If its not too expensive at least, since I have more than enough games to buy each month for this thread ;)

Luckily it will be very affordable! It is 360 yen on the Japan side so we will be releasing it at a $3.99 price point. :)

So I played the Teleglitch demo, posted my impressions in an above post

Now I'm playing Stream (time manipulation platforming game). And I'm stuck. Did the first three tutorial levels, and I have no idea where and what to do next

Toma

So I played the Teleglitch demo, posted my impressions in an above post

Now I'm playing Stream (time manipulation platforming game). And I'm stuck. Did the first three tutorial levels, and I have no idea where and what to do next

Can you link me stream? Googling that is a bit tedious.

Toma

http://simonchauvin.com/stream-the-game/#

And I got the free Planet Explorers Alpha downloading now, will post impressions later

Well you now see a moving platform that wasnt there before. You think that any of the skills you just learned might affect it somehow?

solution:
Stand on the platform and press "e" to accelerate the platform which will catapult you to the next floor

Well you now see a moving platform that wasnt there before. You think that any of the skills you just learned might affect it somehow?

solution:
Stand on the platform and press "e" to accelerate the platform which will catapult you to the next floor

Now I feel stupid, I was standing there, accelerating time. Staring me right in the face, lol

Toma

Oh yeah, I'm ready for fun!

Yeah, I am really looking forward to it as well. And it reminds me that I need to go hunting for a proper Indie GAME podcast eventually when I have the time.

Couldn't get Planet Explorers to run, buy I'm enjoying Stream

The time controls are especially nice, no limits, able to reverse, accelerate, pause, slow down time, allows for more in depth time manipulation than PoP or TimeShift.

And like I posted earlier, Teleglitch is so good. Two years ago, I wouldn't have touched it (or any roguelike) with a stick. Now roguelikes are one of my favorite genres. Permadeath, unpredictability, and limited supplies just provide a sense of tension and apprehension not found in other genres. Unless I'm overlooking some, gun based top down roguelikes are rare and Teleglitch is now one of my favorites

Edit: and where is everyone? Today has basically been me and Toma. Is it because a lot of GAFfers are international, so they're asleep right now?

Toma

Edit: and where is everyone? Today has basically been me and Toma. Is it because a lot of GAFfers are international, so they're asleep right now?

We are hitting end of the month fatigue :p Always happens during the last 2 days of every thread and it usually dies down a lot. But since I wont be posting the new thread until tomorrow, all of you have more than enough time to participate in a fun Wayback wednesday happening before we switch over, ha!

Thanks for posting actively btw Baddy. Its good to see this thread bumped.

We are hitting end of the month fatigue :p Always happens during the last 2 days of every thread and it usually dies down a lot. But since I wont be posting the new thread until tomorrow, all of you have more than enough time to participate in a fun Wayback wednesday happening before we switch over, ha!

Thanks for posting actively btw Baddy. Its good to see this thread bumped.
Yeah no school, off for one more month, gives me a lot of time to post and search the web for games and stuff. And there's always some new indie game or news to discuss

Case in point: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/07/31/support-boobjam-a-game-jam-about-boobs/

Yes, boobjam. And that's why the indie scene is awesome

What console or AAA dev would even entertain the thought of something like this?

Toma

Yeah no school, off for one more month, gives me a lot of time to post and search the web for games and stuff. And there's always some new indie game or news to discuss

Case in point: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/07/31/support-boobjam-a-game-jam-about-boobs/

Yes, boobjam. And that's why the indie scene is awesome

What console or AAA dev would even entertain the thought of something like this?

Pretty cool idea, but I am sure there is a sizeable amount of the population that will laugh about this. Undeservedly of course. Hope they dont drown in stupid insults.

I have some time to play some indies tonight. Will voting still be open then? Is voting limited to games from this month? Is Wayback Wednesday a way to play games from previous thread? I should just re-read the pertinent posts - sorry for the dumb questions.

Toma

I have some time to play some indies tonight. Will voting still be open then? Is voting limited to games from this month? Is Wayback Wednesday a way to play games from previous thread? I should just re-read the pertinent posts - sorry for the dumb questions.

Voting for the current month is still open tonight. The monthly voting is limited to games in the OP. And wayback wednesday is meant to play games you havent played from the previous threads so we eventually end up playing the smaller stuff too ;)

Toma

If we reach the next page in the thread within the next 3 hours, someone please quote the Wayback Wednesday post top of the page.

In the spirit of Wayback Wednesday, I went back and played through Gorogoa which I missed. I gotta say, I found it rather charming. Very smart and as far as I know original idea which kept being used in very creative ways. The entire game was a little easy, but I feel that played in its favour giving the entire experience more of a 'interactive cartoon' kinda feel and given how the game works I feel it would have sucked if it got particularly difficult. But yeah it seemed like a real impressive proof of concept and I certainly look forward to whatever comes next. Definitely think you should all check it out if you haven't already.

http://www.gorogoa.com/

Cth

Depression Quest - Free (Flash)
- Having known a few people with this level of depression, I was impressed by how faithful/accurate it was. It doesn't sugar coat the experience and does an excellent job at educating as well as entertaining. It reminded me of playing Alter Ego back in my c64 days. It's an interesting example of what videogames can achieve and hopefully other developers will develop similar experiences in the future.

iF9EExv7ZcgWa.jpg

http://www.depressionquest.com/
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=513442

Cook, Serve, Delicious! - $8,99/ Free Demo (PC)
- Played this on my iPad and like Depression Quest, it does an excellent job of simulating an experience I wouldn't have otherwise had the opportunity to do so. I've enjoyed playing the Cooking Mama series, but this elevated the genre even moreso. Taking orders, choosing menus, dealing with being robbed, cleaning and maintenance, etc. I'm still deciding on which control scheme I prefer as both have their advantages.

screenshot118.png

http://www.desura.com/games/cook-serve-delicious

Cart Life - Freeware/$5 for extended version (PC)
- I'm starting to see a pattern here. Cart Life combines the last two games in a way. Some depressing simulation of life stuff complete with monotonous tasks to simulate tedious daily tasks.

v15.png

http://www.richardhofmeier.com/cartlife/

Kentucky Route Zero - $24,99 (PC, Steam)
- Loved everything about this one -- the music, the art style, setting, gameplay mechanics, etc. The way they zoom in and out of planes seamlessly giving the illusion of depth. I liked how landmarks aren't shown on the map until you get close, keeping the illusion of being the main character intact. In other words, when someone gives you directions, the game doesn't highlight it, you have to navigate from their directions.

iuhQ0hPOBMqsB.gif

http://store.steampowered.com/app/231200
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=507198

Little Inferno - $10 (PC)
- Played this one three systems now, and it's still fun. Reminds me of playing Doodle God in some ways, trying to find out what items go with each other. The ending was a nice change of pace, although I wish there was more to it.

B1a5spv.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/221260/?snr=1_7_15__13

Marvin's Mittens
- Played this game with my daughter.. loved the exploration aspect of the game and it captures the feeling of being a kid playing in the snow well. Beautiful hand drawn artwork, a little on the short side however.

mm10.jpg

http://www.desura.com/games/marvins-mittens

Monster Loves You - $9,99 (PC)
- Another game that reminded me of Alter Ego and another one that I was able to play with my six year old daughter. Lots of ways to play the game with multiple playthroughs to get all the endings. Another game with excellent hand drawn artwork.

jDyqvXr2CX7Ky.png

http://www.dejobaan.com/monster/

Potato Dungeon - Free (PC, Browser)
Fun, creative, minimalistic platform/dungeoner, even if I did run into a glitch that broke the game. It was fun swinging the sword at enemies.

r2M8fsr.gif

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5573960/potatodungeon/index.html

Proteus - $9,99 (PC)
- Here's another one that I was able to play with my daughter. We love voxel type artwork/games. And while it's very short, there are a lot of fun things to explore and experience. Seeing things change from day to night and how it affects the world is enjoyable.

tumblr_m06dp1T1qa1qztfv2o2_500.png

http://www.visitproteus.com/

Rogue Legacy - PC
- This game has taken up the majority of my time this month. There's so many ways of playing the game and given the unlockables even more tweaks to put on the gameplay. I love the randomness of the dungeons and the varying difficulty levels. The game ran fine on my laptop except for the occassional slowdown when using the blur effects to simulate near and far sightedness.

iHqnHdfzh2lvq.gif

http://www.cellardoorgames.com/roguelegacy.html

Teleglitch - $13/ Free Demo (PC)
- I love the art style and atmosphere of the game. That having been said, until it's patched for gamepad play I'm putting it on the backburner. I have the worst laptop for gaming (in terms of function keys, touchpad location, etc) that I have to hook up an external mouse. It's been far too long since I've done the WASD gameplay, combine that with the shotgun mechanic, and I think I'll wait to come back to this one. It's an amazing game from what I can tell though.

gwoB9AM.png

http://teleglitch.com/

The Swapper - PC
- Speaking of atmosphere, this one has it in spades. I loved the puzzles and gameplay mechanics. While it doesn't support the gamepad natively, there are some tweaks out there I'm hoping to try which theoretically make the game easier.

jboDXssr9odjlN.jpg

http://facepalmgames.com/the-swapper/

Waking Mars $9,99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
- Another one I played on the iPad, it reminded me of Metroidvania type games like Shadow Complex. Some of the backtracking is annoying, but the game still remains fun to play. Fun explorative puzzles, and a decent story makes it well worth the time spent playing.

4PfomXL.jpg

http://www.tigerstylegames.com/

CRszFvh.png

Played 3 games from March thread:

Back to Bed: Cool puzzle game with the levels inspired by M.C Escher and pretty easy.

Gorogoa: Wow! This is an amazing game! I'm loving how you move the windows or "zoom" through them to get new ways to solve the puzzles.

Kyoto: Didn't clicked for me. It was an interesting experience I liked the music and the art but didn't like the "complete package". Maybe I'm not in the mood to play that kind of game.

My votes go to:

Gods Will Be Watching - My favorite flash/freeware game. Bleak like the Road, challenging, and tons of morally conflicting decisions...impressive for a single screen point-and-click. Eagerly awaiting the expanded remake/sequel

Futuridium - Fast paced arcade action, smooth controls, and challenging "trench runs",

Inverto - Fun game. I've played games where you can alter an object's gravity but never a game where you can alter gravity so effortlessly. A cool spatial puzzle mechanic and nice art style

Survivor Squad - Played the demo, very tense, love the lightning effect, squad based tactics against zombies is always fun. Two issues: is there a way to set multiple waypoints while paused, and is there a way to move while looking in a different direction?

Top Bottom