• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IndieGogo - Windows 10 GPD Handheld -299$ "A Laptop Fitting in Your Pocket"

Lemonheap

Banned
73f37dfc4d2797f63bba29b77711fcfd.500x196x36.gif

You too can feel like a rap god.

Would be great for Steam (old games, streaming), emulators, and Kodi. However, I'm concerned about how it feels in the hand.

It does look like a curmudgeon device from 2005, but I think it's mostly due to the top screen. If it could just flip over like a Lenovo Yoga (Bigger hinge that runs the height of the device) it would help.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I'm not really familiar with IndieGogo, is there any chance that you could pledge the money for a unit and not receive the unit if it doesn't reach its goal?

Or is it a case of them using this to gauge interest and people that pledge will receive their unit regardless?

In general, yes - an IndieGoGo campaign with flexible funding can fail and you being out of your money. In this case however, GPD is a proven maker of handheld gaming devices - look up reviews of the GPD XD. They don't really need to crowdfund; they're indeed just using this to drum up more interest. I'd be shocked if it'll actually cost $499 on willgoo.com.

mnannola

This is really tempting. Having something that can access my massive backlog of steam games is request I have had a for a long time. $299 does seem a little steep for not having any clue on how this will perform though.

How is Steam offline mode these days? Could I technically download like 30 steam games and run them all in offline mode as long as they are single player?

MUnited83

For you.
Sounds like a fascinating way to make something neither as useful as a laptop or as comfortable as a handheld.
It looks as comfortable as a DS
This is really tempting. Having something that can access my massive backlog of steam games is request I have had a for a long time. $299 does seem a little steep for not having any clue on how this will perform though.

How is Steam offline mode these days? Could I technically download like 30 steam games and run them all in offline mode as long as they are single player?

Offline mode works fine, although there might be issues on tracking achievements.

Huh, it's near enough.
And I meant the specs of the phone rather than the actual OS in my original post.
Don't double down:
Windows 10 is Windows 10

Look. The whole point is that the GDP device can run x86 applications. It will play a ton of PC only games because it is a full PC.

Morrowind on the train? Check.
Civ on the toilet? Check.
Stream Fallout 4 while I'm laying in bed? Check.

Type_Raver

Sounds like a good way to get some emulation for the road trips. Dont know much about the CPU but no doubt it will handle 2d emulation just fine.

Sounds like a good way to get some emulation for the road trips. Dont know much about the CPU but no doubt it will handle 2d emulation just fine.

The Atom x5 should be fine, at least better than the Bay Trail and it has 4gb of lpddr4 so memory access will be a ton faster. I'm actually kind of excited about how well this fits my need, though I might have to wait to invest until a little closer to release

kikonawa

this is primarily a emulator handheld like the gpd XD .
would buy for 200€
install hyperspin on it and you are good to go

MJPIA

A small clamshell win 10 device is very relevant to my interests but I just don't like the indiegogo campaign.
I'd love a 5.5 inch machine like this though....

Regarding X-input, from their facebook page:
Will the GPD win support x-input natively?
GPD WIN Yes.Support!!

Also was going through posts from the Dingoonity forum and I saw this about cooling:
About the cooling for GPD Win,Cause for 8500/8550,this chip calorific value is not be huge and the power consumption is also low,so we may add a Heat Sink in the device.and the mold is also easy to cooling.we think it is enough for cooling.Please do not worry about it.we have consider carefully and test for the cooling.please trust me.we always want and try to make a prefect console for you all.
Would that be a issue for several hour long gaming sessions or would passive cooling work fine?

MUnited83

For you.
Seriously doesn't. But for some reason that makes me want one.

EDIT: ooooh... $499 huh? I'll pass.

Some people have noted that they usually inflate their "official" prices but the end product will end up cheaper at any place it stocks them anyways, so you are likely to still get it at 299$ when it releases.

MJPIA

Just skimming the indiegogo comment page and I saw these.
Hey guys will it come with just english keyboard or any other choises? any chance for uppgade to 8750 processor?
Thanks so much for your kind concerns and support for us!!Yes,it is come with english keyboard.And about the processor.It is possible upgrade to Z8750 for the upgrade GPD WIN in the coming year.But now the perfect choice is Z8500/Z8550.
I’m in too, though I wish you had an additional OFN (optical finger navigation) on the right + real mouse buttons on the left, rather than this switch system, just like on the Viliv N5: http://www.cartft.com/carpcimages/Viliv/Viliv_N5_8.jpg
Thanks so much for your kind concerns and support!!Good design.We may consider it for the upgrade GPD WIN.
Can't decide if I should just bide my time and wait for the upgraded model/see if any other companies release something like this or just take a gamble on this.

Lafazar

I think I'll take a wait and see approach. There are quite a few large question marks for me, not just XInput, but also what will the battery life actually be and will the passive cooling be sufficient to dissipate the heat from the processor?

The price point is actually quite fair once you know how challenging actually making such a device at that size and form factor with a keyboard is (yes, even at 500$).

MIMF

I think the L3/R3 buttons placement is a mistake and I would like a beefier GPU but I am in and I am going to put my money on it right now!

nampad

I missed this news by quite a bit. Surprisingly, there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest for it here on GAF.

Hope GPD does really change some of the stupid design decisions they have made. So far the dingoonity community doesn't seem to be happy with the device. Considering they have been asking for certain design changes for ages, they do have a point.

Seemingly, the crowdfunding campaign is doing well right now after the news hit the Japanese Engadget. They are quite close to the goal already.

Personally, I am still not sure if I should go for it. Normally, I would be head over heels for it but I am not a big fan of crowdfunding.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Thought it was going a bit slow, but at some point they got a boom of backers and have made their goal.

Looks like the CPU has been upgraded to a 8550.

Hopefully there will be layout changes to the keys. L3/R3 is an oft-mentioned issue, and I'd like the F-keys to be separate as well (I realize there's not a lot of space for this), as a lot of PC games use them.

1471299-ngage_taco.jpg

N-gage 2 has arrived.

NGage gets a lot of hate, obviously it wasn't executed well enough, but I do admire that it was far ahead of it's time. These guys were thinking about playing serious games on mobile in 2003, way before iOS or Android were around with their games. A decade later, mobile gaming is taking big bites out of traditional platforms, to say nothing of competing handheld gaming.

OT - This could be a neat device, but I'm not a fan of the keyboard... I guess it is significantly cheaper than touchscreen. Form factor wise, I had a similar device years ago, a Toshiba Libretto, I'd guess it was a bit bigger than a VHS tape. Way back then it was incredible, because it was a full Windows PC (albeit quite underpowered). But wow was it uncomfortable to type on or use for any length of time whatsoever. I can't see this one being much different.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
OT - This could be a neat device, but I'm not a fan of the keyboard... I guess it is significantly cheaper than touchscreen. Form factor wise, I had a similar device years ago, a Toshiba Libretto, I'd guess it was a bit bigger than a VHS tape. Way back then it was incredible, because it was a full Windows PC (albeit quite underpowered). But wow was it uncomfortable to type on or use for any length of time whatsoever. I can't see this one being much different.

While GPD is trying to market this as a tiny laptop, I really just see this as a portable gaming device like the ones they've made before. Lots of PC games do require keyboards, but you won't be typing extensively on it fortunately. I would only attempt to play gamepad games, and not WASD-heavy games :)

Odrion

Banned
I don't trust GPD when they say it's going to launch at $500. That seems absurd for a x5 z8550 computer.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
This is cool but I'd rather get a Windows tablet

Matriox

L1/2 and r1/2 with the upcoming remote play for pc might be a better remote play device for ps4 than the vita, and also can remotely play xb1. With that in mind I am actually interested, but not in something like LoL or other dedicated pc games.

Top Bottom