• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IndieGogo - Windows 10 GPD Handheld -299$ "A Laptop Fitting in Your Pocket"

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
My GPD win arrived at my house today. When I get home, is there any recommended list of things you all would recommend to do to make it the best experience?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Yo wtf this thing is rad as hell? It ran thumper, geometry wars 3, and Galak Z all perfectly well . This is really cool.

nynt9

I have an issue where the gamepad/mouse won't work when I boot up from sleep. Touch screen works but the gamepad doesn't, no matter which way I switch the three-way switch. Any ideas?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
My GPD win arrived at my house today. When I get home, is there any recommended list of things you all would recommend to do to make it the best experience?
youboughtaVitaGPDWin.gif

-update windows
-Modify power and gpu settings as you wish(imo it's better to aim to battery life and fps)
-download throttlestop to stop throttle and, if you are confident, to undervolt.
-if possible buy a tiny but fast and capacious usb pendrive.

I think it's all i did that i found really necessery.

Does updating Windows 10 really do much for performance? I tried updating to Anniversary and above when I got the device, but started to have some compatibility issues with games (Tales of Symphonia PC, for example) and ended up just downgrading again. That plus Cortana being harder to get rid of.

MUnited83

For you.

youjustboughtagpdwinmtjjx.gif

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Does updating Windows 10 really do much for performance? I tried updating to Anniversary and above when I got the device, but started to have some compatibility issues with games (Tales of Symphonia PC, for example) and ended up just downgrading again. That plus Cortana being harder to get rid of.

I dunno about performances, but it has some little changes and booting time is shorter IIRC. Don't update it if you have problems.

MJPIA

Some people have been manually downloading the creators update over on reddit, anyone try it yet?

Its still veeeeerrrrry early in the design process and a long way away but Wade Wang has been over on dingoonity in a thread and has been fairly receptive and taking feedback on keyboard designs for the successor.
Gpd win button shape wrong, left and right arc surface is correct, the upper and lower arc surface is wrong. Also added the width of the button, I can guarantee that you can not press the two buttons at the same time
Still a long way off and subject to a lot of changes but it looks like the successor will have a centered keyboard with wider keys.

MJPIA

If the next version doesn't have clickable sticks for l3/r3...
Problem is there is only one clickable low profile stick out there and its used in the Switch.
And the patent on it is co-owned by Hoshiden and Nintendo so its unlikely to make it onto the general market.
To use clickable sticks out there currently they'd have to add at least 6 or 7mm in thickness to the device which they don't seem to want to do.
So unless Alps or some other company comes out with a low profile clickable stick thats available to the general market in the near future they don't have much of a option and at least having them on the shoulder is much better than its current location.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Anyone know how to force a higher res in? PS4 remote play app requires 1024x768 or higher, the intel graphics utility complains that 1024x768@30hz(or 60hz) is too much bandwith which is a croc.

I tried CRU but it only works with specific intel drivers

youboughtaVitaGPDWin.gif

-update windows
-Modify power and gpu settings as you wish(imo it's better to aim to battery life and fps)
-download throttlestop to stop throttle and, if you are confident, to undervolt.
-if possible buy a tiny but fast and capacious usb pendrive.

I think it's all i did that i found really necessery.

Undervolting to save battery at the risk of instability yeah?

this thing is cooooool

MUnited83

For you.
Anyone know how to force a higher res in? PS4 remote play app requires 1024x768 or higher, the intel graphics utility complains that 1024x768@30hz(or 60hz) is too much bandwith which is a croc.

I tried CRU but it only works with specific intel drivers

this thing is cooooool

You need to change the order of the resolution
768x1024 should work

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Well, that's pretty weird, it should be working. Do you know if you're using the latest intel drivers?

I thought I was, but Intel drivers are really, really hard to parse. Kind of an awful system they have on their site.

Do you know where I could find a link to the actual latest ones?

MJPIA

I get the same exceeds maximum bandwidth capacity error as well and I was on 11/10/16 driver 20.19.15.4549.
Just updated to 3/8/17 driver 20.19.15.4624 and still get that error.
huh

Use the third party Remote Play PC app instead. Costs $10, but it gives you more options, you don't have to use a DS4 with it, and I've heard reports that it's actually better than the official app (I wouldn't know as I haven't tried the official one, but I've been happy with this one).

just. dont be a goof like me and think "steaming means i can clamp my cpu speed!" because that's not how it works

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

Not really, you get a lot more battery and a lot less heat without risking anything if you don't choose a too low value, just start with the highest value, choose a slightly lower value and play a heavy game for a hour or two, if nothing bad happens you can try a lower value, play for a hour or two and so on until you get a BSOD, that means you went too low, the last value before the BSOD is the lowest value you can choose so the next time you choose that or a higher one if you want to be safer.

Not really, you get a lot more battery and a lot less heat without risking anything if you don't choose a too low value, just start with the highest value, choose a slightly lower value and play a heavy game for a hour or two, if nothing bad happens you can try a lower value, play for a hour or two and so on until you get a BSOD, that means you went too low, the last value before the BSOD is the lowest value you can choose so the next time you choose that or a higher one if you want to be safer.

Yep - with Throttlestop it's fairly simple to do. Just gonna throw out there that with Turbo Boost speeds, I was still able to drop the voltage from the .75 value to .695. Still experimenting with stock speeds, but a small drop like that still saves some battery life and lowers heat output at least a bit with no negative consequences.

Anything lower has given me some trouble, but I'll take whatever I can get on this.

What kind of average life would one be looking at?

It's probably rather obvious, but I'd like to note that Cosmic Star Heroine works perfectly on the GPD Win.

Niiice, seals my interest in the game then. This thing's been perfect for (less demanding) RPGs. Having the option of portability on this or playing it on my desktop has made PC versions no-brainers.

Well this is new.
http://www.geekbuying.com/item/GPD-...GB-64GB-Gamepad-Tablet-PC---Black-378018.html

There's a version with the aluminum shell up for preorder.

Huh, has the aluminum shell been offered elsewhere? Honestly I can't imagine it being too comfortable - I assume it would feel hot fast - but it would certainly look nice.

MJPIA

Huh, has the aluminum shell been offered elsewhere? Honestly I can't imagine it being too comfortable - I assume it would feel hot fast - but it would certainly look nice.
Way back in the IGG campaign before it had a fan one of the ideas they explored was this aluminum shell.
Then they redesigned, added a fan and shelved the idea.
There was also a contest on their Chinese forum a month or so ago to come up with a catchy slogan and win a aluminum shell which I guess was foreshadowing of this which I mistakenly assumed was just a leftover prototype shell.
This is the first time its been offered to the public.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Use the third party Remote Play PC app instead. Costs $10, but it gives you more options, you don't have to use a DS4 with it, and I've heard reports that it's actually better than the official app (I wouldn't know as I haven't tried the official one, but I've been happy with this one).

just. dont be a goof like me and think "steaming means i can clamp my cpu speed!" because that's not how it works

I'd love to try that out - but its apparently not for sale anymore which is a big bummer!

Yep - with Throttlestop it's fairly simple to do. Just gonna throw out there that with Turbo Boost speeds, I was still able to drop the voltage from the .75 value to .695. Still experimenting with stock speeds, but a small drop like that still saves some battery life and lowers heat output at least a bit with no negative consequences.

Anything lower has given me some trouble, but I'll take whatever I can get on this.

Word, I'll give it a shot.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Does anyone with a GPD Win also have Lego City Undercover? I'm curious how that would run on this compared to the Switch version.

I don't have it and i don't think there's a video on youtube yet but unless the switch version is a bad port it will probably run better and that will be the general rule, optimized game on gaming os and more powerful hardware vs not optimized game on a general purpose os on weaker hardware.

The choice is between the GPD Win for the unlimited amount of third party games(and emulation, programs etc) and Switch for Nintendo games and better performance on the veeeeeeeeery few big third party games in common with the GPD Win, or to be a little more cynical, the choice is between getting all the third party games on the gpd win and a theoretical better performance on the few eventual big third party games that will come to switch.

It's probably rather obvious, but I'd like to note that Cosmic Star Heroine works perfectly on the GPD Win.
No it's not!
Broforce that looks like this:
Broforce-IL1.jpg

runs like shit all the time but at a certain point in an ending level it ran at 1 FPS!

What kind of average life would one be looking at?
It depends on the use and the values.
My tipical GPD Win session starts from around 22:00(10:00 PM) and ends at 1:30/2:00(AM) (lol) and the time is usually more or less evenly divided between games and web surfing(Edge is heavy! Use QTWeb for gaf and simple sites, it's not good for complex sites)
I have low values, 0.57 without throttling and 0.6 with throttling(from 0.765), and with them i can often use the GPD Win for almost two entire sessions, in any case the battery always lasts more than a full session.

uNsIs

Neo Member
anyone tried fifa 16 on it? i'm pretty sure that it can't run fifa17 but still hope for a portable fifa machine

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I tried undervolting based on what 2+2 has set, and Jazzpunk ran really well. It definitely got hot, but at max settings the game was really playable. The game by default has some really wack controller settings (smoothing + huge dead zone makes the controls feel REALLY delayed) but after turning both of those off its great.

I'm very, very impressed by this thing.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Guys i have two weird problems:

-no matter how i try to shut down the gpd win(button or option) it says it's shutting down but it only hybernates

-battery data isn't reliable, after an entire day of charge the battery indicator when the gpd win is shut down/hybernated says 100% but then i turn it on and the battery indicator on windows says a lot lower value, for example 89% yesterday. i tried using it while charging to see if it went over 89% but it didn't.

Imo these problems are connected somehow.

Maybe i should try removing the hybernation option?

MJPIA

Several cycles of more than 50% improved the reporting accuracy for me before, I just tend to never trust what it reports.
I know mine doesn't over or undercharge but mine likes telling me my battery capacity is over 8000mah which it isn't.

Anyone this far in the thread likely already has a Win but Geekbuying has their spring sale up with a spin the wheel gimmick with codes.
http://promotion.geekbuying.com/promotion/2017_easter_promotion
There's a 6% off site wide coupon you can get that works on the aluminum case model bringing it down to $350.

MJPIA

Anyone tried out Bayonetta yet?

Unplayable currently according to someone on reddit.
I tested Yookay Laylee and Bayonetta. Yooka Laylee is very playable at lowest settings in dx9. Bayonetta is not playable. It will stutter and the cutscenes runs at 8-10 fps.
Edit: There's alot of people experiencing the same issues with Bayonetta. It's possible we can play this game if it gets a fix.

Heatsink mod mk.2 is going better than anticipated.
Machined a 3mm thin wall copper pipe down what was supposed to be 1.4mm but ended up as 1.5mm which I'll deal with later.
I need to get a piece of plexiglass and rig up my old fan with smoke or colored water spray to visually see how air flows through the heat sink and then I'll see how long I'll make each inverted U and then put a long row of them side by side across the outlet for air to flow through/around.

dLMN8R

LOL

Remember the PGS debacle last year, where some idiots thought they could fool people into paying for a Kickstarter?

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1206728

Looks like they just tricked Touch Arcade into publishing an article about it (and see their correction):

toucharcade.com/2017/04/11/check-out-the-pgs-portable-game-system-hybrid-pc-smartphone-thing/

Yeah, it's a slide show, unfortunately. You can't change the resolution to go under 720P and there's no framerate options either. If someone finds a way to go with a lower res, it may end up playable though.

Isn't it DX9? If it is, could you not just use something like HiAlgo Switch or GeDoSaTo to go lower?

Actually, now that I think about it, GeDoSaTo can't actually force things to go below their minimum resolution, unfortunately. I've never used HiAlgo, but I wonder if it can.

Hmm, Snake Pass runs very poorly, even when forced to a low res and grass turned off and textures and effects turned to low. I guess it can't handle the physics or polys?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I removed the hibernation options and now the gpd win actually shuts down(i think lol), as for the battery indicator i'll know later today.

Yesterday i tried the castlevania lords of shadows 2 demo, it looked awesome and ran smooth! The only issue was that it was running in 4:3... then i saw the options and it was running in 640x480!
I was really surprised by how good it looked at that resolution, so i tried other resolutions, here some samples:

800x480

1280x720

640x400

if you think that the screen on the gpd win is more or less of the size of the last screenshot(on my 1080p 15.5" monitor at least) you can understand that the game looks really good even at that low resolution(there are even lower resolutions down to the 320x240 but i didn't try them). I'll do other tests.

I was sold before realizing it hits all the wrong notes(cool vampires, qte, giant bosses), i guess i could buy it for cheap.

nickerous

Does this thing run GameCube games Well? One of the games I play the most is NCAA football 2004. Anyone know how that runs? Also, will there be a gpd win2 anytime soon? Need to know before buying this one.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Isn't it DX9? If it is, could you not just use something like HiAlgo Switch or GeDoSaTo to go lower?

Actually, now that I think about it, GeDoSaTo can't actually force things to go below their minimum resolution, unfortunately. I've never used HiAlgo, but I wonder if it can.

Hmm, Snake Pass runs very poorly, even when forced to a low res and grass turned off and textures and effects turned to low. I guess it can't handle the physics or polys?

I tried HiAlgo Switch, but Bayonetta crashed when it tried loading a game. It doesn't seem to work very well with games in general unless I'm doing something wrong.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Does this thing run GameCube games Well? One of the games I play the most is NCAA football 2004. Anyone know how that runs? Also, will there be a gpd win2 anytime soon? Need to know before buying this one.
The gamecube emulation seems to be good enough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xML89UdSO4E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcC5kQ3WGpM

but i didn't find the game you want.

so tempting, but even more terrible framerates ... er, less...

https://youtu.be/_uAkfJa02FU?t=7m57s

The GPD Win is emulating a game that runs natively on a more powerful(or at least on par, i dunno) hardware, what did you expect? It's like a xb1 emulating a ps4 game.

The emulation of a hardware needs a lot more powerful hardware, not less powerful.

Despite the result looks unpleasing that's a surprising demonstration of strenght of the hardware, it's mindblowing that not only it doesn't refuse to start but it actually runs.

The strenght of the gpd win is the games and the ability to do whatever you want with settings(for example if switch, vita or whatever is too weak to run a certaing game at native res devs won't port it on that console, on the gpd win the game is there anyway and if it doesn't eventually run perfectly you can lower the resolution and settings, adding mods etc), if you have the right expectation for handhelds in general and in particular for a handheld that runs games that aren't designed for it the gpd win is amazing.

What other handheld let's you play dark souls, or diablo 3, fallout NV and pc games in general?

The gamecube emulation seems to be good enough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xML89UdSO4E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcC5kQ3WGpM

but i didn't find the game you want.

The GPD Win is emulating a game that runs natively on a more powerful(or at least on par, i dunno) hardware, what did you expect? It's like a xb1 emulating a ps4 game.

The emulation of a hardware needs a lot more powerful hardware, not less powerful.

Despite the result looks unpleasing that's a surprising demonstration of strenght of the hardware, it's mindblowing that not only it doesn't refuse to start but it actually runs.

The strenght of the gpd win is the games and the ability to do whatever you want with settings(for example if switch, vita or whatever is too weak to run a certaing game at native res devs won't port it on that console, on the gpd win the game is there anyway and if it doesn't eventually run perfectly you can lower the resolution and settings adding mods etc), if you have the right expectation for handhelds in general and in particular for a handheld that runs games that aren't designed for it the gpd win is amazing.

What other handheld let's you play dark souls, or diablo 3, fallout NV and pc games in general?

Sorry if i came off condescending or anything, but i'm not trying to knock the gpd win at all. i attribute the framerate issue to the game itself and not the gpd hardware. i've been running emulators and the like for a long time now, so i completely agree that it IS a marvel that any wii u game runs at all on the gpd win through cemu.

Mutant

Problem is there is only one clickable low profile stick out there and its used in the Switch.
And the patent on it is co-owned by Hoshiden and Nintendo so its unlikely to make it onto the general market.
To use clickable sticks out there currently they'd have to add at least 6 or 7mm in thickness to the device which they don't seem to want to do.
So unless Alps or some other company comes out with a low profile clickable stick thats available to the general market in the near future they don't have much of a option and at least having them on the shoulder is much better than its current location.

Just two buttons very near the sticks that act as L3/R3. Sony did it with Killzone Mercenary where the down on the d-pad acted as sprint and it worked fine!

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
two OT questions:
-if i buy a steam key from another site(bundle stars, humble bundle or others) can i get a refund from steam or the site?
-is titan quest AE in any way similar to torchlight 2? Of the torchlight 2 demo i liked that it was pretty "quick", no long dialogues or texts, no long traversals, small dungeons, lots of enemies and so on. Is TQAE like that? How are the long range weapons? Other diablo-like games like torchlight 2?

Sorry if these questions are ot but opening threads for them would be a waste.

EDIT:
torchlight 2 is now on sale on steam XD i guess i'll buy that(but i wouldn't mind an answer to the question)

Sorry if i came off condescending or anything, but i'm not trying to knock the gpd win at all. i attribute the framerate issue to the game itself and not the gpd hardware. i've been running emulators and the like for a long time now, so i completely agree that it IS a marvel that any wii u game runs at all on the gpd win through cemu.

Don't be sorry, now that i re-read my post it sounds defensive even if actually i didn't want to, so let's just forget this lol.

two OT questions:
-if i buy a steam key from another site(bundle stars, humble bundle or others) can i get a refund from steam or the site?
-is titan quest AE in any way similar to torchlight 2? Of the torchlight 2 demo i liked that it was pretty "quick", no long dialogues or texts, no long traversals, small dungeons, lots of enemies and so on. Is TQAE like that? How are the long range weapons? Other diablo-like games like torchlight 2?

Sorry if these questions are ot but opening threads for them would be a waste.

EDIT:
torchlight 2 is now on sale on steam XD i guess i'll buy that(but i wouldn't mind an answer to the question)

Don't be sorry, now that i re-read my post it sounds defensive even if actually i didn't want to, so let's just forget this lol.

Diablo style ARPGs that you might want to give a go, off the top of my head::
Path of Exile (Free game, but excellent. Diablo 2 style (art) and freedom to mix/match abilities)
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing 1, 2, 3 (all have native controller support which is great)
Grim Dawn (havent gotten too far, and controller support is listed, but i don't remember how it plays with a controller.)
Titan Quest Anniversary Edition - Forgot to mention this game. no controller support but a fairly good ARPG i played not too long ago with my friend. Glad the devs updated it not too long ago. Love the setting.

also for diablo style ARPGs that do not support controllers, i've used pinnacle game profiler and it kinda works well, but requires a good amount of set up. Playing Diablo 3 with a dualshock 4 was nice.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Diablo style ARPGs that you might want to give a go, off the top of my head::
Path of Exile (Free game, but excellent. Diablo 2 style (art) and freedom to mix/match abilities)
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing 1, 2, 3 (all have native controller support which is great)
Grim Dawn (havent gotten too far, and controller support is listed, but i don't remember how it plays with a controller.)
Titan Quest Anniversary Edition - Forgot to mention this game. no controller support but a fairly good ARPG i played not too long ago with my friend. Glad the devs updated it not too long ago. Love the setting.

also for diablo style ARPGs that do not support controllers, i've used pinnacle game profiler and it kinda works well, but requires a good amount of set up. Playing Diablo 3 with a dualshock 4 was nice.
Thanks for the suggestions :D

Top Bottom