• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IndieGogo - Windows 10 GPD Handheld -299$ "A Laptop Fitting in Your Pocket"

MJPIA

jeeeez. do we if there's anything in particular that causes the battery to expand like that, or is it just poor luck? I've seen a couple cases of it.
This was weird because it was just sitting there, not plugged in on my bed and I reached over to grab it and plug it in and the bottom was scorching hot and it puffed up.
I've seen a few new ones that had this issue from recent batches but I feel we'll probably be seeing some more people who've owned it ever since it came out and been using it every single day.
Most batteries in electronics are separated from heat to some degree but the Win's battery just sits against the motherboard and absorbs and soaks in heat.
I'll probably just contact Kendy to get a new battery since my touchscreen has been acting up and i've been trying to convince her to send me a aluminum lid to replace my plastic one anyways.
I got her to send me a complete keyboard/heatsink and membrane in the past when I asked so you should be a able to get a keyboard through her.
TVpR0Sl.jpg

apd_ng

@MJPIA

I finally done the silicone replacement thanks to your guide and a dozen youtube videos; thanks!

It was really nerving wrecking glad i fixed it, buttons dont feel like shit no more yay!

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I'll probably just contact Kendy to get a new battery since my touchscreen has been acting up and i've been trying to convince her to send me a aluminum lid to replace my plastic one anyways.
Hey, my GPD win is mostly fine, but my S, Z and R keys aren't working. Should I ask her for a KB replacement? How do I contact her?

MJPIA

Hey, my GPD win is mostly fine, but my S, Z and R keys aren't working. Should I ask her for a KB replacement? How do I contact her?

kendyz @ gpd.hk should be her current email, at least its what has been posted on their IGG page for people who need help for their Pocket.
Expect sporadic communication and occasionally she misses emails so if several days go by without reply try again.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

MUnited83

For you.
Where can I find the cheapest GPD Win currently?

Waiting for a coupon for Gearbest would be the best option.

I was going to suggest gearbest but then i went to the site and it was soldout, on geekbuying too! Aliexpress and Amazon have it but at high price....

On ebay there are very high prices too, there's this though
http://www.ebay.it/itm/GPD-Win-5-5-...iegia-Trail-/162597351925?hash=item25db8eb1f5

276,33 euros, it says new not opened and the seller has positive feedback, if you trust ebay you could buy it there.

Only the old versions on GB are sold out. The metal top version is still in stock http://www.gearbest.com/tablet-pcs/pp_624766.html

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sadly the coupon doesn't seem to quite work on my end.

Weird, i used basically the same coupon(14% off on tablet pcs from the same page) when i bought mine

I forgot one thing though, the coupon applies on the full price, it doesn't stack with a sale price, so final price probably won't be 266.40 euro.

MUnited83

For you.
Weird, i used basically the same coupon(14% off on tablet pcs from the same page) when i bought mine

I forgot one thing though, the coupon applies on the full price, it doesn't stack with a sale price, so final price probably won't be 266.40 euro.
Ah, that's the thing, the GPD Win is constantly on their "flash" sales so it might be hard to catch it without a discount.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Guys i feel soooooooooooooooooooooooooo stupid lol

I bought Victor Vran and Ziggurat because i read that they run well on the GPD Win, i play them but they both run badly.
At this point i decide to finally install the intel beta drivers that apparently do miracles(the gpd win is a rather unique device so i decided to stay safe and avoid bios, beta drivers etc) but they aren't available anymore! :(
So i decide to simply update the drivers.... apparently i have never updated them lol, well once installed Victor Vran passed from 1 digit fps in the hub to around 30 fps and Ziggurat runs well(probably way more than 30fps) all the time!

Now i wonder how much better i would have played the games i have already finished.

Does anyone else find that the battery drains very quickly (~2-3 hours) but takes a long time to charge back up to capacity?

Mine takes a very long time to charge, but its battery lasts up to 4 hours or even a little more i think, but i use battery saving settings + fan deactivated

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I played more of Victor Vran and Ziggurat after the driver update... and they still don't run well :( Ziggurat actually runs better and relatively well most of the time but not always, while Victor Vran mybe has gained some frames but it's still bad and now has a weird behaviour, sometimes it seems to rewind of 1 frame...

Internet lied to me :(

Deadlight seems to run better after the update though.

Anyway i'll make you know if things change somehow.

Does anyone else find that the battery drains very quickly (~2-3 hours) but takes a long time to charge back up to capacity?
Had the same issue with my yoga book. It even drained battery when under load and plugged in. Since I use a good Adapter from anker with 2.4A it does load quite quick and I can use it fully loaded while plugged with it even loading.

MUnited83

For you.
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky just got the DX9 patch out to the public. The game had some performance issues in the Win on DX8 but now with this patch it should run perfectly.

Expanding li-ion batteries is unfortunately a thing that happens these days. The Dell XPS 15 (great laptop otherwise) has an issue where if/when the battery expands, it moves the touchpad up out of the case housing...

(ask me how I know)

MJPIA

For people with the battery issue, how much hours of use you have on it?

At least 800 hours and likely nearer 1000.

I do know at some point around January they switched battery suppliers so most everyone who didn't get a launch device will have a battery manufactured by a different company though.

MJPIA

Mmm I emailed Kendy 4 days ago and since I hadn't received a response sent a follow up email last night and she replied the same day so she must have missed my last email.
All the other times I've gotten parts through her I've had to pay a reasonable amount for them and she has me buy something on their official Aliexpress store but not pay for it, send a message to their Ali store saying this is for certain parts and to wait for Kendy to contact them to set everything up but for this she just asked me for a address to ship the battery to so I don't think I'll have to pay anything for this or jump through any hoops.

So if you need a battery send a email to kendyz @ gpd.hk and include a picture of the battery with something with a straight edge across it to clearly show the bulge and you should be able to get a replacement.

MUnited83

For you.
oof, here's hoping mine doesn't get that issue. Were your models the most recent one? (aluminium top)

Anyways, now if the damn gearbest coupon would work, that'd be nice.

apd_ng

oof, here's hoping mine doesn't get that issue. Were your models the most recent one? (aluminium top)

Anyways, now if the damn gearbest coupon would work, that'd be nice.

I have the aluminium top model from gearbeast, only issues i had were that my "A" button on the gamepad sunk so I had to replace the silicon underneath it.

Other than that it ran cooler than the first revision I had before that one was sold

Hope I wont get any of this battery issues tho :|

https://youtu.be/OZ4nDsogKXs Tutorial I found for doing an L3/R3 mod on the analog sticks. Actually looks pretty simple - tempted to give it a go. The Win's become my main hobby device for modifications like these (also bonus heatsink mod).

on that note: anyone know what kind/size of screws the win uses because uhhh i think ive lost 3 or so of the mobo ones by now

Selling an Indiegogo model (Z8700) in the B/S/T thread for $270 shipped. "A" key is undersensitive but works fine, everything else is like new. Console + adapter. If you are interested, hit me up!

Been thinking about this machine a lot more lately as I now have a commute for the first time in years but only have my 3DS with one cart and a couple digital games with me. Seems like a great excuse to (re)play more PC titles.

Not planning on running anything recent (thinking of the Marathon trilogy, System Shock and other games of that era, maybe push it and go with Halo too) but I'm more curious how the hardware handles things like sleep mode. Is it just as simple as closing the machine? Does it last long in that state? Also, when running those older titles will heat still be an issue if the fan is enabled?

SaiyanRaoh

Hey guys, I too, have decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on this, especially after Nintendo's handling of the SNES classic. This little guy should do it all. It's not the only reason. The convienence of this thing is too good to pass up.
Since I first discovered the GPD last year, there seems to be many versions of this machine now. Which one should I get? Is the metal top one the fastest one? Are older revisions better from a mod/driver stand point?

Walmart.com has the metal one in stock.
I was thinking of getting this one since my local Walmart would take it back should I dislike it.
Is that the recommended GPD Win? Thanks!

MUnited83

For you.
Hey guys, I too, have decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on this, especially after Nintendo's handling of the SNES classic. This little guy should do it all. It's not the only reason. The convienence of this thing is too good to pass up.
Since I first discovered the GPD last year, there seems to be many versions of this machine now. Which one should I get? Is the metal top one the fastest one? Are older revisions better from a mod/driver stand point?

I was thinking of getting this one since my local Walmart would take it back should I dislike it.

Yes, the metal top one is considered the best.

MJPIA

At thus point as long as you're buying it new from a seller you'll be getting the latest version.
Im pretty sure the Walmart listing is sold on their marketplace through a third party seller coming from China and you can't take it to a Walmart.
Like you can buy it from Newegg as well but its a Chinese store selling it, its still coming from China and if anything's wrong Newegg isn't going to do anything.
Assuming you're in the US the only way you'll be able to have a hassle free return if you dislike it or have a problem is if you order it from one of the Amazon prime listings but you'll pay a premium for that.

Been thinking about this machine a lot more lately as I now have a commute for the first time in years but only have my 3DS with one cart and a couple digital games with me. Seems like a great excuse to (re)play more PC titles.

Not planning on running anything recent (thinking of the Marathon trilogy, System Shock and other games of that era, maybe push it and go with Halo too) but I'm more curious how the hardware handles things like sleep mode. Is it just as simple as closing the machine? Does it last long in that state? Also, when running those older titles will heat still be an issue if the fan is enabled?

Sleep mode is a bit wonky, its like fifty fifty it works perfectly. I had a time where I wanted to use my gpd and turned out it was on the whole time and used all my battery. Now I just turn it off completely or sleep mode if I'mma use it in a short while later. Thankfully it loads super fast.

I think the heat becomes more of an issue as you keep playing longer. Its not heat scalding but noticeably annoying.

Sleep mode is a bit wonky, its like fifty fifty it works perfectly. I had a time where I wanted to use my gpd and turned out it was on the whole time and used all my battery. Now I just turn it off completely or sleep mode if I'mma use it in a short while later. Thankfully it loads super fast.

I think the heat becomes more of an issue as you keep playing longer. Its not heat scalding but noticeably annoying.

I had both, prefer the Metal top; feels cooler on higher load IMO

Other than that better dpad/abxy pad membrane apparently

Sleep mode seems a decent alternative. Any idea of how long it takes to heat up with older applications and the fan on full?

apd_ng

Sleep mode seems a decent alternative. Any idea of how long it takes to heat up with older applications and the fan on full?

I never noticed a lot of heat on older apps, I played Kotor2 for a few hours the heat wasnt that bad

But if I launch up a game like Fate;extella within 30 minutes it'll be hotter than what it would be if I played kotor2

apd_ng

Best way to stream from pc to gpdwin?

Thinking of setting up RPCS3 and streaming that to my gpdwin; only way I can think of ATM is add rpsc3 to steam games? and steam stream it over?

Top Bottom