• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

indies that belong on Switch

Nesther

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime

header.jpg

Yoooo, this. Perfect fit thematically, given Nintendos goal of sharing the joy (con)

giapel

Dare I say, most of them?
But as someone said, narrative/adventure games would be perfect. Hoping for thimbleweed park, personally.

EDIT: oh, and The Witness, with touch controls

Ya'll need to get a Vita. I know the system is starting to get old but it is THE portable indie machine.

And everyone should play Spelunky but I can't imagine playing it without a proper d-pad.

I have a Vita, and Switch would be much better for indie games that have a strong multiplayer element, like the upcoming De Mambo, or existing games like Kalimba.

Vita was great for indie titles of a previous generation, like Spelunky, but for newer games which target PS4, its screen size and resolution often means developers just take their 1080p PS4 game and shrink it down to 5", leading to impossibly tiny HUDs and UIs. Games like PIX the CAT and Switch Galaxy Ultra suffered really badly from this.

Hats off to the indies who did put the work in though, I remember the Vita version of Frozen Synapse (Prime) being completely reworked for the small screen. Previously that game was only released on iPad as a portable format as it wouldn't have worked otherwise.

Also worth noting that Switch's left Joy-Con D-Pad is pretty good for a lot of 2D games - I had no trouble playing Blaster Master Zero or NEOGEO titles like Metal Slug and Shock Troopers and clearing them without feeling that the D-Pad was letting me down.

Cpt Lmao

Nintendo need to get some co-op beat-em-ups, they'd work very well for the system.

Personally, I'd like Inside, Kerbal Space Program and Gone Home. Get a stylus on the go and I'd LOVE FTL.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Dead Cells would be amazing on the switch. Its on sale on Steam ATM so get it people.

Edit: Salt and Sanctuary as well.

NO to Dead Cells. I absolutely do NOT WANT "Early Access" titles on Nintendo platforms period.

I don't care if it's the best thing since sliced bread, if it's not a full, completed game-no buy, no interest.

Salt and Sanctuary-yes, excellent choice!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I really wish Nintendo opened it up more and really leveraged the indie community. Spelunky, Enter the Gungeon (I know it's coming), Dead Cells, Hotline Miami, BoxBoy, Helldivers, Swapper, CounterSpy, etc, etc, etc. There's so many games they could bring to the platform and make it an indie machine like the Vita was.

I mean they did during the indie showcase right before launch. Even beyond the games they focused on they had a big slide with a ton of indie games that are coming to the Switch.

The problem is we haven't really heard anything since then, and a lot of those games while coming have yet to actually be shown on the Switch.

Feels like Damon Baker should try and get Nintendo to let him do another indie showcase to highlight games coming in the 2nd half of this year.

...all of them?

Handheld is the place where indies game shine; I deferred to playing all my indie titles on Vita.

But gimme Hotline Miami, Velocity and 2X for starters, then let's see what we can do to get Housemarque titles.

Vanillalite

STARDEW HECKIN' VALLEY.

What the heck happened to this game? Thought it was coming this summer, now the summer date is gone... 😔

Game started out as basically 1 dude. I'm not sure how much help he has now that it's become a success.

Multiplayer for PC isnt out yet either. Dude said it's coming no worries. He's been up front about it in that sense unlike some other titles that were announced in name only and we've only heard crickets.

Alfredo

Basically every indie game on the Vita.

Ya'll need to get a Vita. I know the system is starting to get old but it is THE portable indie machine.

The Vita would've been my dream indie game machine...if the memory cards weren't so expensive. There were times that I didn't even bother getting a game that I thought would've been really cool just because they wouldn't fit on my memory card.

I would love to have Furi too. There's a lot of games I'd put way more time into if I could have them on the go

I

The problem is we haven't really heard anything since then, and a lot of those games while coming have yet to actually be shown on the Switch.

That's precisely the problem, but it would be nice if Nintendo marketed the switch in a way to make it a Indie console.

Rumble19

I'm really looking forward to Hollow Knight, Gungeon and The End is Nigh. I feel like any rougelite would be a perfect fit. Spelunky, Necrodancer and Rouge Legacy are at the top of my wishlist. The Switch and Spelunky in particular feel like they were made for eachother.

Vanillalite

Baker's on a post E3 vacation. Hope he enjoys it.

Maybe once he gets back I'll tweet him to ask if they plan on doing another indie direct anytime this Summer.

3DShovel

NO to Dead Cells. I absolutely do NOT WANT "Early Access" titles on Nintendo platforms period.

I don't care if it's the best thing since sliced bread, if it's not a full, completed game-no buy, no interest.

Salt and Sanctuary-yes, excellent choice!
When it's finished, obviously. Calm down.

But yeah, Meatboy, HLD, Axiom Verge, Salt & Sanctuary.

But the real answer is: all of them.

jonno394

I have a nindie/news Twitter/blog just for fun and i wrote pieces on @The Sexy Brutale and Jenny Leclue Detectivu and how they should come to Switch. Both got comments and likes from the Devs so i took that as good signs :)

I mean they did during the indie showcase right before launch. Even beyond the games they focused on they had a big slide with a ton of indie games that are coming to the Switch.

Feels like Damon Baker should try and get Nintendo to let him do another indie showcase to highlight games coming in the 2nd half of this year.

Yeah, I'm surprised there wasn't one during E3. There should be one every quarter (first was March, June, September...) as a large chunk of the games presented in March have been released, and it'd be nice to keep games like Runner3 and Escapists 2 in people's minds.

C.Mongler

header.jpg

It's a god damn travesty that Crawl isn't on the Switch yet. It would be absolutely perfect with the Switch's multiplayer model. Apparently the devs had a meeting at Nintendo HQ last month to discuss "some things" so hopefully it's in the works.

Moose84

Darkest Dungeon
Guacamelee
Spelunky
Night in the Woods
Enter the Gungeon
Peggle 2
Fantasy Life
Inside

and Darkest Dungeon.

Vanillalite

Yeah, I'm surprised there wasn't one during E3. There should be one every quarter (first was March, June, September...) as a large chunk of the games presented in March have been released, and it'd be nice to keep games like Runner3 and Escapists 2 in people's minds.

I wondered that, but in retrospect probably the right move. Too much noise during that week.

Probably would be better to run a direct in mid July or something where the indies would get the spotlight vs being drowned out by the E3 noise.

To be honest, rather than the retro arcadey indies that a lot of people want to see on the Switch, I'd like to see a lot of narrative and ambient/experimental indies.

Virginia, Gone Home, Abzu, Firewatch, Journey, Everyone's Gone to the Rapture (though I'm assuming the Switch couldn't handle the latter) would be amazing on Switch, as they're mostly very chill games and would benefit from the Switch's portability- you could curl up in bed with an atmospheric narrative game as you would with a book.

Journey. I'd love to be able to play that handheld.

I really wish Nintendo opened it up more and really leveraged the indie community. Spelunky, Enter the Gungeon (I know it's coming), Dead Cells, Hotline Miami, BoxBoy, Helldivers, Swapper, CounterSpy, etc, etc, etc. There's so many games they could bring to the platform and make it an indie machine like the Vita was.

Uh, guys, Journey, Helldivers, CounterSpy and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture are Sony first party titles.

I wondered that, but in retrospect probably the right move. Too much noise during that week.

Probably would be better to run a direct in mid July or something where the indies would get the spotlight vs being drowned out by the E3 noise.

That's a good point actually, seems like E3 is mostly just becoming a place for large publishers and platform holders to focus on a small number of big games, and most of the media coverage is based around things which have the largest hype.

There was also a relative absence of media coverage in general for games that were playable on the showfloor, I've noticed.

Valahart

Has any third party hardware company announced a solution for the non d-pad? Like a completely new joycon with a real dpad?

TheGrue

without d-pad ... nah

People complain about the d-pad and I do wish there was one, but I've played through Shovel Knight using their d-pad and it's not as bad as people make it out to be. Again, wish it was better, but it works.

Really, I just want all the indies. Love that Stardew is coming. That would have been the first thing I said. Give me Hollow Knight, Flint Hook...all the Rogue Lights and Metroidvanias!

phanphare

Banned
People complain about the d-pad and I do wish there was one, but I've played through Shovel Knight using their d-pad and it's not as bad as people make it out to be. Again, wish it was better, but it works.

yeah it's funny, the big downside of the face button side is the positive for the dpad side. the buttons are pretty small so for the face buttons that bothers me but for the dpad side it's perfect because my thumb can get them all while in the same position.

ITSMILNER

Whats that Power Rangers like strategy game that was on PC and I think its coming to consoles? That would be perfect for Switch

Top Bottom