• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

indies that belong on Switch

phanphare

Banned
Looks like you might be getting pinball, just not that pinball:

Still, if Zen Pinball does well (which I imagine it would), there's no reason why TPA wouldn't make it's way over... well other than FarSight is a bit of a mess with all the different platforms and bugs, and other crap (split releases to Stern Pinball arcade) and so forth. Still, Pinball + Switch is a good match in theory, the HD Rumble™ should be nice, and the large screen / on the go aspect fits nicely too.

Plus it'd be cool if they supported a vertical mode when playing portable as it's a much better way to display a table (and a portrait mode on a TV too I guess, though that's a lot less common for HDTVs than PC monitors).

oh man, a pinball game on Switch that utilizes HD rumble could be amazing

tenacioushe

Neo Member
I have actually just been replaying OlliOlli 2 on PS4 and thinking about how much I'd like it on the switch. I don't own a vita but after playing Thumper on switch I now exclusively want to play most indie games handheld.

wildfire

Banned
Do you own a Vita OP? Because all of those games are already on Vita. You can already play all of those games in handheld format right now.

What the Switch needs is games that aren't already on Vita.

Vita doesn't have scribblenaughts unlimited, hyperlight drifter, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime, hollow knight, overcooked, mount and blade, or Ultimate Chicken Horse.

It has Fez and it will get Undertale and that's it.

The Vita isn't a hot platform even among indies.

FloatOn

Looks like you might be getting pinball, just not that pinball:

Still, if Zen Pinball does well (which I imagine it would), there's no reason why TPA wouldn't make it's way over... well other than FarSight is a bit of a mess with all the different platforms and bugs, and other crap (split releases to Stern Pinball arcade) and so forth. Still, Pinball + Switch is a good match in theory, the HD Rumble™ should be nice, and the large screen / on the go aspect fits nicely too.

Plus it'd be cool if they supported a vertical mode when playing portable as it's a much better way to display a table (and a portrait mode on a TV too I guess, though that's a lot less common for HDTVs than PC monitors).

this is really exciting. thanks.

What is the difference between this and port begging?

This feels like indie port begging the thread....

it's not just asking for ports it is speculating on what would be the best/most logical fit for a new console that is uniquely suited for multiplayer games on the go.

Robiin

Bought Hollow Knight for 6€ on the Steam sale instead of a full price purchase on the Switch because it took way too long to come out. One Switch sale less I guess...

antibolo

Banned
Vita doesn't have scribblenaughts unlimited, hyperlight drifter, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime, hollow knight, overcooked, mount and blade, or Ultimate Chicken Horse.

It has Fez and it will get Undertale and that's it.

The Vita isn't a hot platform even among indies.

This is a stupid post on many levels.

Algebrah

I have been waiting for an official release date on Stardew Valley. It's a candidate to be an absolutely perfect Switch game.

AColdDay

Give me all classic JRPG-style games on here.

Cosmic Star Heroine

cosmic-star-heroine-screenshot-01-ps4-us-16dec15

This is the one I want the most.

It's funny that 80-90% of games in this thread are already available on PS Vita and probably cheaper then Switch games will ever be ;) Srsly if you like playing indies just grab Vita. It's also much better on the go then Switch, becuase of its size and D-pad...

What i want to see on Switch are indies which require more horsepower then Vita:

1. The Witness.
2. The Talos Principle.
3. RIME.
4. Inside.

As someone who owns both a Vita and Switch, I would much rather play indies games on the latter.

Calm Mind

Rocket League was the biggest one for me. Now that we have that, I'd love to get a compilation of Geometry Wars games (if that's indie.... not sure if is).

That makes too much sense. So naturally, it won't happen because of Activision.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
What is the difference between this and port begging?

This feels like indie port begging the thread....

That is still just a roundabout bit of reasoning for what is very much a portbeg thread.

The portbegging rule is meant to prevent thread derails. Typically we would ban people for posting "NO SWITCH NO BUY" in an announcement thread or in an OT.

In this case there is no thread to derail, since the topic of the thread is to discuss which indie titles people would like to see on a platform.

The only ones derailing this thread are ironically the posters who wants to backseat moderate with "wow portbegging the thread!!!" posts.

pswii60

Super Meat Boy and Joycons are a no-no for me. Also it's a lot more expensive to replace a Switch you've thrown across the room than a DS4.

I feel like Hotline Miami would be too sweet with gyro. Loved it with mouse/keyboard but felt it was too reliant of lock-on in the console/Vita versions.

I'd buy Super Meat Boy but I doubt I'd beat the first world with the face buttons dpad.

antibolo

Banned
So stupid you can't say two things, let alone one, to prove yourself right. You sell the Vita just as well as Sony did.

I don't know what the fuck your problem is, I pointed out that those games OP mentioned are already on Vita, and you reply with blatantly false bullshit about how the Vita only has two indie games. What the fuck am I supposed to say?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, we're really not doing a Vita vs Switch thing in here

I have actually just been replaying OlliOlli 2 on PS4 and thinking about how much I'd like it on the switch. I don't own a vita but after playing Thumper on switch I now exclusively want to play most indie games handheld.

That's actually a good one. It's great even for short commutes.

joe_zazen

I am a Nintendo Fan but I dont get why spelunky has the nintendo magic. Just seen some gameplay of it but it seems like a typical indie game. Anyone here who is kind enough to explain whats so special about spelunky?

From what l understand, the gameplay is as tight as fuck, balanced perfectly, and the fact that it is a rogue like means it is endlessly replayable. It is one of those pure gameplay games that gets people into a flow state once they have practised enough, and that is a great feeling.

Thus it is something that people play because it is enjoyable, and not something they only play to beat or to see how the story ends.

I am a Nintendo Fan but I dont get why spelunky has the nintendo magic. Just seen some gameplay of it but it seems like a typical indie game. Anyone here who is kind enough to explain whats so special about spelunky?

Tight controls, tightly focused gameplay design. Insane replayability.

I'd just like firm dates. they have an amazing group of indies on the way but no solid info for release.

The wallet is ready devs...get busy.

Caponetone

Neo Member
Undertale, Guacamelee, Gungeon, NecroDancer, Hotline Miami, Castle Crashers, Mutant Mudds, Fez, Broforce, Super Meat Boy, Evoland 1 & 2, Steamworld Dig and Heist, Bastion

wildfire

Banned
I don't know what the fuck your problem is, I pointed out that those games OP mentioned are already on Vita, and you reply with blatantly false bullshit about how the Vita only has two indie games. What the fuck am I supposed to say?

There is no need to cry over this. You said the Vita had all these games and I specifically pointed out that in MY long list of games that interested me the Vita had 2 only and one of those isn't even out yet.

Your suggestion is based on the idea anyone would find indie games that would appeal to them. The Vita doesn't have them for me thus proving your point extremely flawed considering how varied those games are.

And how exactly does it accomplish the insane replayability?

and with tight controls you mean, that it has no input lag and is simple??

It's designed around "runs" and procedurally generated levels that somehow always feel challenging. It's got that "just one more run" factor that can keep you playing for hours.

As far as controls, getting good, tight 2D platformer controls is not a given. This game nails it.

jariw

Has anyone played Death Squared in co-op? It's coming out on the Switch July 13.

Indies that support local multiplayer are games that IMO are very well suited for the Switch, in addition to the single-player portable/console games. I bought Astro Duel Deluxe a few weeks ago and I was surprised how much playing time that game gets in local multiplayer. Local multiplayer game on the Switch is such a blast, specially the kind of games that works well both in tabletop and docked mode.

Damon Baker mentioned releases every week, and that's what they've done to give breathing room to these games. Next week is GoNNER.

Bulb Boy is also releasing next week, at least on the NoE eShop.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I don't even have a Switch but i will post the same answer i gave in many Vita threads
l7E4S.gif

imo almost every game that can run on a handheld should be playable on a handheld
and that's one of the reasons why i bought a GPD Win, all the indies and lots of big games are already playable without hoping/asking/waiting for a port

Kureransu

That was about wanting two specific titles to come to the switch. This thread is an open discussion about indie titles that would be a good fit on the switch. I know it sounds like it's the same thing, but it's not really.

Another way to put it would be making a thread saying, "I want Horizion Zero Dawn to have online multiplayer", vs. "Single player games that would benefit from online multiplayer"

The former is more of a beg/want/demand, which is pretty closed for discussion. The latter is very open and can lead to plenty of good discussion.

antibolo

Banned
There is no need to cry over this. You said the Vita had all these games and I specifically pointed out that in MY long list of games that interested me the Vita had 2 only and one of those isn't even out yet.

Your suggestion is based on the idea anyone would find indie games that would appeal to them. The Vita doesn't have them for me thus proving your point extremely flawed considering how varied those games are.

The only flawed point here is your very deliberate hand-picked list of indie games that don't have Vita ports as a bullshit argument that the Vita doesn't have any indie games.

FloatOn

The only flawed point here is your very deliberate hand-picked list of indie games that don't have Vita ports as a bullshit argument that the Vita doesn't have any indie games.

careful...

Yeah, we're really not doing a Vita vs Switch thing in here

back on topic... some games with touch controls would be pretty nice a tower defense game like defense grid for instance.

Ryuuga

Banned
That was about wanting two specific titles to come to the switch. This thread is an open discussion about indie titles that would be a good fit on the switch. I know it sounds like it's the same thing, but it's not really.

Another way to put it would be making a thread saying, "I want Horizion Zero Dawn to have online multiplayer", vs. "Single player games that would benefit from online multiplayer"

The former is more of a beg/want/demand, which is pretty closed for discussion. The latter is very open and can lead to plenty of good discussion.

Yeah sorry I don't buy it. All indie games belong on all platforms capable of playing it.

That said I would love to play Hyperlight Drifter and Downwell on the go without a derpy touch device interface.

shiv_

I hope they port CrossCode as soon as it is fully released on PC.

I had the same thought... I checked their steam forums and it is not likely going to happen. CrossCode is all javascript... so I guess it needs a browser to be functional. Porting it would mean basically redoing the entire game.

Bummer!

jariw

Holly Knight is confirmed. Someone mentioned upthread that ETG looks to be coming also.

Terraria is confirmed as well. It seems like the release of Terraria is dependent on how soon the 1.3 update launches on XBOX/PS4. Switch version will arrive after that.

Aiustis

Terraria is confirmed as well. It seems like the release of Terraria is dependent on how soon the 1.3 update launches on XBOX/PS4. Switch version will arrive after that.

AAAh Terraria will be my official most bought game would love it on the Switch. I don't even have plans to own a Switch in the next year.

Kureransu

Yeah sorry I don't buy it. All indie games belong on all platforms capable of playing it.

That said I would love to play Hyperlight Drifter and Downwell on the go without a derpy touch device interface.

I'm not selling anything. that's how you feel, which is valid, and in this thread can be debated/discussed further. My post was referencing that the poster felt this thread was the same as the SF 3 and DS should be on switch is the same thing.

Top Bottom