• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indivisible: Valkyrie Profile/Metroid, Indiegogo, PC/Mac/Linux/PS4/XB1 -- funded!

NEO0MJ

Does the developer have any love for Nintendo?
Honest Question^^
Do you consider it, Ravidrath?

At best you'll get non-answers from him :p

Prototype looks and plays good, although the difficulty ups with the bigger enemies .The page on indiegogo is very clear while providing a lot of information.

I'm considering backing it :).

Do ti! The game needs you to. I need you to!

Beats

@Ravidrath

Have you guys thought of constructing the non setpiece parts of the levels using handpainted modular sprites/assets similar to what was done in Ori and the Blind Forest? There was an artdump a while back on Polycount for the game with some assets sheets towards the bottom of this post and one in this post if you haven't seen it. I'm not sure if that would work well with the way the camera works now, but I think using this sort of workflow could possibly help achieve a more cohesive look.

I'm not sure I understand how this works, I'll test it out tonight after work.

NG+ removes an important ability you need to find the secrets. Don't end the game after beating the boss.

You mean the Metroid type run? I haven't seen any use for it. I tried running against the wall and nothing. I tried to see if there was maybe a Metroid jump to go along with it so I could get back up to the rest of the level, but nah there isn't. I assume there's a glitch use of some sort.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
@Ravidrath

Have you guys thought of constructing the non setpiece parts of the levels using handpainted modular sprites/assets similar to what was done in Ori and the Blind Forest? There was an artdump a while back on Polycount for the game with some assets sheets towards the bottom of this post and one in this post if you haven't seen it. I'm not sure if that would work well with the way the camera works now, but I think using this sort of workflow could possibly help achieve a more cohesive look.

From my perspective, it would make it less cohesive. Switching to that kind of super high polish, highly stylized 2D art raises your dependencies on a handful of artists that can replicate that level of quality. You would risk heavy delays, burnout and not finding artists that can replicate the style. With the 3D pipeline they have now, you get all the benefits of 3D, a faster production turnaround and its easier to have several people keep a consistent style due to the nature of the workflow (modeling, UV's, texturing, lights, etc)

Its highly inadvisable to go "well just do what this game did" because there are so many things you dont know about their process, learnings and issues during development. What you see was not how they started and they may not have chosen to go that route by the time the game was done! Its much better to look at the tools and talent at your disposal and figure out how to best express their skills and ambitions. Lab Zero has a pretty damn good 3D artist that has brought the world to life, its best to find ways to maximize that.

For them to revert to 2D backgrounds would mean starting over for no good reason. They have a 3D engine, really good 3D artists, a pipeline in place and really good early results, why start over?

Gbraga

You mean the Metroid type run? I haven't seen any use for it. I tried running against the wall and nothing. I tried to see if there was maybe a Metroid jump to go along with it so I could get back up to the rest of the level, but nah there isn't. I assume there's a glitch use of some sort.

You do need to get back to before the boss room, but there's no shortcut, gotta use wall jumps and wall axe thingies.

Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKhshupwN08

You do need to get back to before the boss room, but there's no shortcut, gotta use wall jumps and wall axe thingies.

Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKhshupwN08

How in the world he jumped so high in that vid? I've been doing that, but I can't ever get high enough to hang on with the axe without bumping her head. I wish I could post a vid myself, but I don't have a camera. I tried taking screenshots, but it's kind of hard to press the prt sc button while doing a wall jump at the same time.

I'm kinda worried that it won't be funded. It really deserves it. Ugh. I'm not knowledgeable on kickstarters and indiegogos but is this on par with normal fundraisers?

Labadal

I'm kinda worried that it won't be funded. It really deserves it. Ugh. I'm not knowledgeable on kickstarters and indiegogos but is this on par with normal fundraisers?
Not on par with the most successful Kickstarter campaigns, but that doesn't mean this can't get funded. They have a 40 day campaign. I do think that with some coverage and so on, that the campaign will be successful.

Moonlight

Banned
Not exactly, no. But Indivisible is also on a longer timescale than many other crowdfund campaigns, and a slow burn is totally reasonable, IMO.

I'm still of the belief it can squeak past its' goal.

Gbraga

How in the world he jumped so high in that vid? I've been doing that, but I can't ever get high enough to hang on with the axe without bumping her head. I wish I could post a vid myself, but I don't have a camera. I tried taking screenshots, but it's kind of hard to press the prt sc button while doing a wall jump at the same time.

At what part? The execution is a bit tricky, but it's very consistent. Once you get it once, it instantly clicks and becomes second nature.

Lime

oh god I finally returned back home after a long business trip and managed to boot up the prototype. I want the game so bad.

DrArchon

Well, looks like it's hit the 10% mark. Hope this is a sign of a slow burn and not a bad end.

Heard this mentioned on the Giant Bombcast. I'd love to see them do a run of the prototype but do they do stuff like that for games currently being crowdfunded?

Dachande

Wow, I just finished the prototype. I realise it was always intended for some form of public consumption from the outset, but that was one of the most polished prototypes I've ever played. Shockingly bug-free and very cohesive even at this stage.

I think my biggest complaint was a lack of enough indication between the different phases of the battle. I was keeping such a close eye on my meters that I rarely noticed when enemies had reached the stage in which they could attack, which meant that I usually missed the red flashing indicator for their target, flailed a lot with my block attempts and wasn't very successful at them.

Maybe some sound effect indicator when an enemy is going to attack would help? Like a sword-clash "ka-ching" kind of sound effect - something short and high-pitched so it stands out against the music and general other battle sound effects (i.e. the hit sounds, which are bassy and low). Dunno, that's just my initial thought, there's probably a better way.

Relatedly, because I was flailing a lot and button mashing to try and get attacks out, as I wasn't noticing when the enemy attack phases began, I ended up trying to attack when the game wanted me to block, which led to a few confusing (literal) moments.

For a prototype though, that's nitpicky stuff. The fact it works and flows so well at this stage is a hell of an achievement in itself. Definitely confident in my contribution after playing this.

Cyrano

oh god I finally returned back home after a long business trip and managed to boot up the prototype. I want the game so bad.
Yeah, this might be the biggest problem with prototypes as a player. If you like it... it sucks having to wait so long. =/

Game's gonna be great though!

At what part? The execution is a bit tricky, but it's very consistent. Once you get it once, it instantly clicks and becomes second nature.

2 seconds into that video. I thought I got it a few times, but the axe just went through the stone. I'm tempted to try again, but damn I spent twenty minutes just trying to get up there. I think I should be making better use of my time like working on my book or my game.

Wow, I just finished the prototype. I realise it was always intended for some form of public consumption from the outset, but that was one of the most polished prototypes I've ever played. Shockingly bug-free and very cohesive even at this stage.

I think my biggest complaint was a lack of enough indication between the different phases of the battle. I was keeping such a close eye on my meters that I rarely noticed when enemies had reached the stage in which they could attack, which meant that I usually missed the red flashing indicator for their target, flailed a lot with my block attempts and wasn't very successful at them.

Maybe some sound effect indicator when an enemy is going to attack would help? Like a sword-clash "ka-ching" kind of sound effect - something short and high-pitched so it stands out against the music and general other battle sound effects (i.e. the hit sounds, which are bassy and low). Dunno, that's just my initial thought, there's probably a better way.

Relatedly, because I was flailing a lot and button mashing to try and get attacks out, as I wasn't noticing when the enemy attack phases began, I ended up trying to attack when the game wanted me to block, which led to a few confusing (literal) moments.

For a prototype though, that's nitpicky stuff. The fact it works and flows so well at this stage is a hell of an achievement in itself. Definitely confident in my contribution after playing this.
The blocking issues largely disappear after your second or third crack at the prototype. Don't sweat it too much.

Thores

This has been on my radar since it was announced, based solely on how much I enjoyed Skullgirls. I just played the Indivisible prototype this evening, and although I ate shit at the boss, I had a wonderful time. Fantastic concept and execution, and I can't believe the amount of polish it has for a prototype.

Have 75 of my dollars.

Moonlight

Banned
Oh good - was afraid we made fools of ourselves, haha.
Nah, you guys did really well. The hosts were really solid about the whole thing, too.

...although I wasn't sure what the dance song was about?

Meanwhile, it just really clicked in my head this run that there's no need for me to wait for one party member to finish up their attack before moving ahead with my next one. A whole new world has opened up before me.

It's amazing how fun it is to just mess around with the combat.

Ravidrath

Nah, you guys did really well. The hosts were really solid about the whole thing, too.

...although I wasn't sure what the dance song was about?

Meanwhile, it just really clicked in my head this run that there's no need for me to wait for one party member to finish up their attack before moving ahead with my next one. A whole new world has opened up before me.

It's amazing how fun it is to just mess around with the combat.

Yeah, I was really impressed with Erika and how much she knew about the campaign, the game, etc. She seemed genuinely into it, which is always nice.

And as Beats said, the dance happens whenever they get a new paid subscriber. I forgot about that.

Decado

Game looks interesting. Lovely style. Combat is a bit confusing, but I'm sure I'd get used to it. Too bad it doesn't have a very good shot at reaching the goal being on Indiegogo. I take it the funding isn't that important to them? It's the only reason I can think of that they wouldn't go with kickstarter

Gbraga

2 seconds into that video. I thought I got it a few times, but the axe just went through the stone. I'm tempted to try again, but damn I spent twenty minutes just trying to get up there. I think I should be making better use of my time like working on my book or my game.

Sorry, only saw the reply now, but you need to hold the attack button to hold the wall, otherwise it's just an attack.

Before I back this does indiegogo allow you to cancel your pledge if you have to before the campaign ends... Also do they use backer kit so that I can increase my pledge at the end if I'd like.

Moonlight

Banned
Not a bad word to say about how many tries it took Earl to get back up to the temple. This is the hardest shit ever, oh my god.

Not a bad word to say about how many tries it took Earl to get back up to the temple. This is the hardest shit ever, oh my god.

I'm glad to see I'm not alone. I was wondering how many people did get back up there and find the secrets. I swear I can't get to that angle and height in that vid.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm sorry to be negative but... I'm getting a bit depressed at how slowly this is progressing. :(

A kick-ass prototype, open and honest devs, a really well put together campaign... WTF is going on. Would KS over Indiegogo make that big of a difference? So unfair.

TheOGB

Banned
I'm glad to see I'm not alone. I was wondering how many people did get back up there and find the secrets. I swear I can't get to that angle and height in that vid.
It did take me over an hour (almost two?) to get back up to the temple. Watching a video and seeing their timing/paying attention to where on the wall they jumped was helpful.

Didn't go searching for the other secret yet...

Moonlight

Banned
Decided to just give up for tonight, lol. Spent forty-some minutes on and off trying to nail it, and still couldn't do it. orz

Crocodile

It needs to average $35K per day for the remaining 38 days to hit the goal, that's a pretty damn high average to maintain.

I agree that's a high average to aim for but as long as this can get within 150-300k of the goal by the final stretch I think the final surge will push them over.

Game looks interesting. Lovely style. Combat is a bit confusing, but I'm sure I'd get used to it. Too bad it doesn't have a very good shot at reaching the goal being on Indiegogo. I take it the funding isn't that important to them? It's the only reason I can think of that they wouldn't go with kickstarter

Nobody does something like this because they don't care. IGG takes a smaller cut, doesn't take an extra 4-8 weeks to pay you after the campaign ends and IGG has promised them advertising support (though I don't personally know what that means). Clearly KS has more notoriety but there are reasons for what they did. If you like what you see just donate what you can afford and tell friends of yours who you think might be interested to give this a shot.

Before I back this does indiegogo allow you to cancel your pledge if you have to before the campaign ends... Also do they use backer kit so that I can increase my pledge at the end if I'd like.

BackerKit is up to the developer.

Indiegogo doesn't allow you to cancel your pledge, you're merely refunded if this campaign doesn't succeed.

Jigorath

Banned
I'm sorry to be negative but... I'm getting a bit depressed at how slowly this is progressing. :(

A kick-ass prototype, open and honest devs, a really well put together campaign... WTF is going on. Would KS over Indiegogo make that big of a difference? So unfair.

Lack of media coverage maybe? It seems like the bigger gaming sites aren't talking about it.

Moonlight

Banned
IGG is also more reliable when it comes to getting the money, too, since it's all processed ahead of time. Avoids the problem of getting a bunch of refused charges at the end of the campaign and falling short of your goal.

Ultimately, I think the difference between IGG and KS - especially at this stage - can't be more than like 50,000 dollars at most. Which is, yeah, wouldn't be anything to sniff at, but however this campaign goes down, I don't think IGG presents as huge a barrier to success as is being suggested here. I certainly don't think the campaign would be trucking along at twice the rate it is now on KS.

...that said, I'm not seeing quite the push I was expecting from them. It's a front page gaming suggestion occasionally, but I was expecting more punch. Oh well.

Phu

Banned
Lack of media coverage maybe? It seems like the bigger gaming sites aren't talking about it.

I think this is a big factor, haven't really seen much.

I'm sure there will be a few surges here and there when more sites/personalities start checking it out, especially with something playable. [for instance, I'll bet people like the Super Best Friends will check it out at some point]

XBP

I really want to back the game but 40CAD is some what on the higher side. I really wish they had just a bare bone digital release tier for around 25CAD.

Skullgirls is awesome, and the prototype was crazy fun even with a few problems. I may back this at some point, if anyone deserves success it's Lab Zero. It would be a damn shame if this campaign failed.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
After thinking on it I decided to back this for $30. Was going to do it next month but I realized I had some money in my paypal account I didn't know about, so I went ahead and backed it.

Also, as a Melee player, lots of props and respect to Lab Zero and the Skullgirls community for the effort in the EVO charity drive. You guys are awesome.

Decado

Nobody does something like this because they don't care. IGG takes a smaller cut, doesn't take an extra 4-8 weeks to pay you after the campaign ends and IGG has promised them advertising support (though I don't personally know what that means). Clearly KS has more notoriety but there are reasons for what they did. If you like what you see just donate what you can afford and tell friends of yours who you think might be interested to give this a shot.
Getting a larger cut of nothing is still nothing. Getting nothing earlier isn't really helpful.

Hopefully their reasons are good enough to be fine with the game not being funded, since that seems to be the way things are going.

A lower goal with console stretch goals may also have been wiser.

Anyway, hopefully they have a plan B.

Moonlight

Banned
I really want to back the game but 40CAD is some what on the higher side. I really wish they had just a bare bone digital release tier for around 25CAD.
As a Canadian who wound up dropping way more money on the campaign than I originally expected thanks to conversion, I really sympathize. But then, 40 CAD is still like half of what games are running up here lately, and for how much content is being planned, I wouldn't lack confidence you wouldn't be getting your money's worth either way.

Just IMO that the conversion still winds up with a pretty fair price especially with the goodies.

Getting a larger cut of nothing is still nothing. Getting nothing earlier isn't really helpful.

Hopefully their reasons are good enough to be fine with the game not being funded, since that seems to be the way things are going.

A lower goal with console stretch goals may also have been wiser.

Anyway, hopefully they have a plan B.
KS has more visibility and more convenience than IGG, but it's not the difference between a game being funded and a game not being funded. If you're suggesting this game would be tracking twice as well as it is now with just a change of scenery, I'm not really sure what to tell you.

And undershooting their own estimates for development and hoping to make up the difference on stretch goals always works out. Always.

But sure, it's a few days into the campaign and it's already doomed. Okay.

Top Bottom