• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indivisible: Valkyrie Profile/Metroid, Indiegogo, PC/Mac/Linux/PS4/XB1 -- funded!

Moonlight

Banned
LZ should do incarnation character voting so we have something to fight over :V
Vote's not a good idea for obvious reasons, and I think I suggested it over Twitter, but maybe having a chart of silhouettes of Incarnations we have yet to unlock would tease the milestones along more and give a more specific goal to 'work towards'.

Also, does anyone have a recommended set up for playing the game on keyboard? The combat system is insanely intuitive on controller, but a keyboard set-up strikes me as a little harder to pull off. Asking for the benefit of the people I'm shooting the demo to, and a lot of them don't have controllers on hand. Need a keybind list for them to make sure things are as smooth as possible.

I wish people wouldn't put so much blame on the campaign being on IGG as the reason why it's not getting a huge amount of funding yet. I feel the main issue is that the main inspiration is a niche JRPG that got a limited print outside of Japan, a PSP port that went under the radar, and a sequel that came out when the PS2 was losing relevance in the general gamer's eye. Many campaigns that succeed either have a huge name behind them, are inspired by a long dead franchise, or both. It sucks that having the prototype isn't working as well as planned, but perhaps that's because there's very little familiar about the battle system to anyone who didn't play Valkyrie Profile.

It sucks that doing something ambitious/different can sometimes make it hard for people to support your vision. I love Valkyrie Profile, so I'll try to back this next month on top of doing a video for it on my channel.

Just finished the demo, having a blast so far. I haven't played too much Valkyrie Profile, but I'm not a big RPG fan so I was a big fan of having everything real-time and focused on managing when characters in your party attack than anything else was. You can tell it's a Lab Zero game but it manages to look unique instead of sharing too many visual similarities with Skullgirls.

Really hoping this gets funded! Tempted to raise my pledge up a bit if it looks like it might not make it through.

Gbraga

I can't play through the prototype without getting the secrets anymore. Platforming in this game is insanely fun, did not expect this at all. I thought it would be decent at best, but it's great. Climbing back to the temple is my favorite part of the prototype.

dgamer

Banned
Pledged, you guys have made a really amazing game. If it dont work with Indie Go Go please try again with kickstarter or hit up sony or something for that indie love. Good luck to you all.

Beats

Came across some funds and upgraded to the 75$ tier.

Might put in more towards the end depending on where my financials are at.

Lime

I don't intend to instrumentalize the political struggle of marginalized identities in gaming culture, but have you reached out to the platforms promoting diversity? Platforms like FemFrequency, Ineeddiversegames, Invisibility Blues, Not Your Mama's Gamer, Justice Points, SpawnOnMe podcast, stuff like that? Just getting them to talk about the game/prototype might boost funding. The game has some great diversity that needs support, I think.

I donated, but I don't have a lot of hope either. KS is better for the donators as we don't need to pay up front. It seems like having to pay and get a potential refund is a huge turnoff for many.

Odrion

Banned
I wish people wouldn't put so much blame on the campaign being on IGG as the reason why it's not getting a huge amount of funding yet. I feel the main issue is that the main inspiration is a niche JRPG that got a limited print outside of Japan, a PSP port that went under the radar, and a sequel that came out when the PS2 was losing relevance in the general gamer's eye. Many campaigns that succeed either have a huge name behind them, are inspired by a long dead franchise, or both. It sucks that having the prototype isn't working as well as planned, but perhaps that's because there's very little familiar about the battle system to anyone who didn't play Valkyrie Profile.

It sucks that doing something ambitious/different can sometimes make it hard for people to support your vision. I love Valkyrie Profile, so I'll try to back this next month on top of doing a video for it on my channel.

I think that crowdfunding has just kinda... died. It feels like there's been a string of suspicious crowdfunding campaigns. Big ones being Shenmue 3, Red Rust, and that Retro Console. We've also seen what happens when a crowdfunding campaign is unsuccessful, and how many times those projects were funded a different way or returned and it's just not exciting anymore.

Not to mention that the indie landscape is just so, so, so, so, so over saturated these days. It's getting harder and harder to get your game some recognition, even if you had success previously.

zeopower6

I mean, on the one hand, you're right. But on a different hand, is this true at all?

Depends on the projects? They still seem to get a good amount of money, but we just had some really high profile ones one after another, so expectations are highish.

duckroll

I think that crowdfunding has just kinda... died.

The Dwarves - A New Storydriven Fantasy RPG - $306,098 pledged, asked for $260,000, end today.

Battle Chasers: Nightwar - $788,199 pledged, asked for $500,000, ending tomorrow.

Muv Luv: A Pretty Sweet Visual Novel Series - $568,007 pledged, asked for $250,000, 25 days left.

BATTLETECH - $1,582,265 pledged, asked for $250,000 (but $1,000,000 was the "real" base goal), 26 days left.

Yup. Crowdfunding for videogames is dead.

K.Sabot

maybe most gamers having no damn taste is an important factor here

i believe this to be true but you know i gotta avatar quote you

image.php

Crocodile

BATTLETECH - $1,582,265 pledged, asked for $250,000 (but $1,000,000 was the "real" base goal), 26 days left.

I haven't been following this KS. What does this mean? If they didn't hit $1 million there would be no game or just some crippled game? Kind of scummy to intentionally aim that low but hurray for playing on human psychology?

duckroll

I haven't been following this KS. What does this mean? If they didn't hit $1 million there would be no game or just some crippled game? Kind of scummy to intentionally aim that low but hurray for playing on human psychology?

The pitch is that they have put in a substantial amount of their own money to build up a Battletech turn based skirmish game with AI which would be made regardless of crowdfunding. The campaign is to make it more than that with extra funds. The first bunch of stretch goals in "phase 1" were nonsensical stuff just to add content and depth to the skirmish AI game. At 1 million bucks they would promise a full single player campaign mode, which is obviously what people want. :p

TheChaos

I think it's more or less that the game needs 1.5 million and yet is based off a game that very few folks have played (and have no way of playing unless you track down a physical copy...thanks, Square-Enix!)

Lime

Uhm no, they funded their own skirmish game with their own money, then they just asked for money if people wanted an expanded game with a single player campaign

Plus, they have a great track record and have people who worked on the same games (Mechcommander) and who even founded the whole board game (Battletech).

Nothing scummy at all, you're overreacting.

I think it's more or less that the game needs 1.5 million and yet is based off a game that very few folks have played (and have no way of playing unless you track down a physical copy...thanks, Square-Enix!)

It boggles the mind why so many of Square-Enix's PSP games were never put up digitally. PSP Go gave them an incentive and then the Vita gave them an even better incentive but for some reason, it was more important that we be able to play Third Birthday on a modern portable system rather than Valkyrie Profile or the Star Ocean remakes.

Gbraga

This isn't wrong, but isn't that precisely why they have a super polished playable prototype?

You don't need to get hyped just from their inspirations, there's a product out there for you to base your expectations on.

Lime

It boggles the mind why so many of Square-Enix's PSP games were never put up digitally. PSP Go gave them an incentive and then the Vita gave them an even better incentive but for some reason, it was more important that we be able to play Third Birthday on a modern portable system rather than Valkyrie Profile or the Star Ocean remakes.

I blame licensing. That, or just sheer incompetence.

I think that crowdfunding has just kinda... died
Not even close. Going by the gaming focused Kickstarter thread, there were 120+ successfully funded campaigns this year and those were only the ones posted about in the thread

There were 150+ successfully funded projects listed in the 2014 thread

The big ones are a rarity; most are debut indie titles.

I think the campaign might be struggling because the lowest price point to get the game is $30. Have they said what the price will be when the game is released?

Not even close. Going by the gaming focused Kickstarter thread, there were 120+ successfully funded campaigns this year and those were only the ones posted about in the thread

There were 150+ successfully funded projects listed in the 2014 thread

The big ones are a rarity; most are debut indie titles.

Last year was really slow for big Kickstarters, but this year has been huge between Shenmue 3, Bloodstained, Yooka-Laylee, Shadowrun: Hong Kong, Divinity: Original Sin 2, and Battletech. That's 6 huge Kickstarters, two of which broke all-time records (Shenmue 3 & Bloodstained).

Why are people so concerned over the campaign? They're actually ahead of their daily average needed if y'all just did a little simple math. I understand that donations aren't constant for the whole period, there are days of surges and lags etc. But going by an average, they're ahead of the point they need to be to make their goal.

I might very likely donate later down the road depending on how things go: unfortunately being on Windows 7 means I can't try the prototype. Hearing nothing but good word on it though. And I enjoyed my time with Skullgirls and always appreciate 2D indie games that aren't trying to look like NES games with bad artstyles. I'm hoping the campaign is successful.

EDIT: "concern-trolling" was maybe a bit harsh...well, except for that one poster who seemed like they really were concern-trolling. But that doesn't warrant using the term me feels.

I think the campaign might be struggling because the lowest price point to get the game is $30. Have they said what the price will be when the game is released?
With the amount of content a game like this is likely to have, and the visual polish (if going by Skullgirls means anything), $30 is actually pretty reasonable for a digital copy.

Crocodile

The pitch is that they have put in a substantial amount of their own money to build up a Battletech turn based skirmish game with AI which would be made regardless of crowdfunding. The campaign is to make it more than that with extra funds. The first bunch of stretch goals in "phase 1" were nonsensical stuff just to add content and depth to the skirmish AI game. At 1 million bucks they would promise a full single player campaign mode, which is obviously what people want. :p

Oh ok this makes a lot more sense. Would've been kind of awkward if it never got to $1 million for a lot of people though I venture to guess.

Good thing they have something you can actually play for this campaign. I wonder how many people are looking for time in their schedules (waiting till a weekend or something) to actually play it though before contributing.

Moonlight

Banned
Why are people concern-trolling over the campaign? They're actually ahead of their daily average needed if y'all just did a little simple math. I understand that donations aren't constant for the whole period, there are days of surges and lags etc. But going by an average, they're ahead of the point they need to be to make their goal.

I might very likely donate later down the road depending on how things go: unfortunately being on Windows 7 means I can't try the prototype. Hearing nothing but good word on it though. And I enjoyed my time with Skullgirls and always appreciate 2D indie games that aren't trying to look like NES games with bad artstyles. I'm hoping the campaign is successful.
The prototype is compatible with Windows 7.

TheChaos

This isn't wrong, but isn't that precisely why they have a super polished playable prototype?

You don't need to get hyped just from their inspirations, there's a product out there for you to base your expectations on.

Well..look at the 1+m million Kickstarters like Mighty No. 9 and Pillars of Eternity. They're all based off of beloved, million-seller games, which is why so many people pledged to them with little more shown to them than concept art.

Hubb

$30 is my guess. They said they wouldn't do any early backer tiers, so $30 seems like the retail price.

Moonlight

Banned
I seriously doubt adding a 20 dollar pledge would increase the amount of backers significantly - at least not enough to not only make up the difference in lost funds collected, but also beat their current daily average. 30 dollars is the sweet spot, I imagine. Dropping the basic tier down by ten dollars would demand waaaay more backers than they currently need right now, and so... not actually solve the actual problem.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Why are people so concerned over the campaign? They're actually ahead of their daily average needed if y'all just did a little simple math. I understand that donations aren't constant for the whole period, there are days of surges and lags etc. But going by an average, they're ahead of the point they need to be to make their goal.
....Have you ever seen a crowdfunding campaign before? That's not how it works...

ricki42

Already stated, but you absolutely can play the prototype on Win7. It runs on basically anything Skullgirls can, as far as I know.

I guess by anything you mean Windows versions, because other than Windows, Skullgirls is -as far as I know - on PS3, PS4, 360 (as Encore), Linux and Mac. Indivisible is aiming for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Steam Windows / Mac / Linux. The prototype is Windows only. From what I've been reading in this thread, it seems the prototype is a major draw for many people and the deciding factor in backing. For anyone on any of the other platforms, that factor isn't there. Not sure how much of a difference that makes, Mac and Linux have small market shares, and I don't think prototypes would be possible on PS4 or XB1.

Did Valkyrie Profile 2 also have a unique combat system?

VP2 took the battle system from the first game and made it into a Strategy/Action RPG hybrid. You could move around in 3D and plan attacks that way, but once the turn started the battle system was mostly the same as the first game minus the AP system replacing the hard attack limit of VP1. Indivisible seems to draw more influence from the first one, with the welcome ability to block instead of having to take full damage all the time. VP2 also had excellent puzzles that Indivisible seems to be inspired by too. There was very little "push the block" or "get the key" in VP2; they replaced those tired puzzle cliches with a really creative crystal teleportation mechanic.

Top Bottom