• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFamous Demo Impressions

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Teknopathetic said:
Managed to snag it before it got pulled. Let's see if it plays as mediocre as it looks.

Technical-foul.jpg

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
All right, I've figured it out-- to jump straight down, jump off a ledge and hit square. You'll do one of those electricity stomps and avoid all objects on your way down.

Dang no wonder I couldn't find it :lol
Oh well...

I'll have to wait till the 21st to play the demo like some of you on this thread.

skulpt

Man, I hope popin isn't a big issue. That really killed the exploration part of Oblivion for me to have a castle tower only show up once you get like 100 feet from it. I want games where I see a monument way off and make my way towards it.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
lowrider007 said:
What issues ?, aliasing on background fences?

No. It's EVERYWHERE. The whole images fries because of it. I'm not even sold it runs at 720p native honestly. And don't have me talking about the shadows resolution. Mediocre engine overall. I like the smoother and cleaner look of Crackdown better to be honest. I felt totally immersed in that world. Here, I'm constantly reminded I'm into some flawed 3D engine. It really shows devs struggled to pull this off.

Gameplay wise, I'm already spotting some annoying issues like enemies being able to track you no matter what you do. Once they have spotted you, you can run around entire blocks, climb a building, pop up from cover far away from them and get shot immediately. Hope it doesn't get too annoying.

Another issue I have is how Cole behaves while hovering. When he flies close to some stuff he could grab onto he changes orientation like a magnet as he tries to grab that. Not an issue during exploration, but when I just want to simply get the hell out of a hot situation and happen to unintentionally catch a lamp post or whatever it's a problem.

Finally, dunno if this is just a demo thing but it seems that once a mission has started, game seems to set an area around it that you are not allowed to leave. That's ok as long as you warn me when I'm about to exit it, but in the demo, this doesn't happen. Instead, you get punished with a mission failed message as soon as you step outside these invisible boundaries.

Still looking forward to playing the whole thing, but demo lowered my expectations a bit.

nib95

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
Managed to snag it before it got pulled. Let's see if it plays as mediocre as it looks.

That didn't take too long! On the topic of visuals. I think some of you are under-rating it aesthetically. When put aside Prototype and Crackdown, my guess is it'll probably still look superior. I'm not sure what you were really expecting. We certainly weren't going to get Killzone 2 / RE5 esque visuals in such a open world sandbox game.

I think it looks nice. I'm sure later on in the game will be some epic set pieces.

Baha

Does the fact that they pulled the demo off the HK store mean it could be available earlier than other regions?

TTP said:
No. It's EVERYWHERE. The whole images fries because of it. I'm not even sold it runs at 720p native honestly. And don't have me talking about the shadows resolution. Mediocre engine overall. I like the smoother and cleaner look of Crackdown better to be honest. I felt totally immersed in that world. Here, I'm constantly reminded I'm into some flawed 3D engine. It really shows devs struggled to pull this off.

Gameplay wise, I'm already spotting some annoying issues like enemies being able to track you no matter what you do. Once they have spotted you, you can run around entire blocks, climb a building, pop up from cover far away from them and get shot immediately. Hope it doesn't get too annoying.

Another issue I have is how Cole behaves while hovering. When he flies close to some stuff he could grab onto he changes orientation like a magnet as he tries to grab that. Not an issue during exploration, but when I just want to simply get the hell out of a hot situation and happen to unintentionally catch a lamp post or whatever it's a problem.

Finally, dunno if this is just a demo thing but it seems that once a mission has started, game seems to set an area around it that you are not allowed to leave. That's ok as long as you warn me when I'm about to exit it, but in the demo, this doesn't happen. Instead, you get punished with a mission failed message as soon as you step outside these invisible boundaries.

Still looking forward to playing the whole thing, but demo lowered my expectations a bit.

I love you TTP :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Zeliard said:
What do you think of the platforming, TTP?

Despite feeling a bit too floaty I think they did an awesome job there. You hardly miss a jump even on tiny spots.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
TTP said:

Ummmm, I appreciate your insight and criticisms on the gameplay mechanics but I feel that your being a little harsh on the engine tbh, I guess I'll have to wait and see for myself.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
TheChillyAcademic said:
I love you TTP :lol

Someone has to complain man. We need to push these devs towards perfection.

I love you too <3

Edit: Damn I've found a 60fps spot in the map. Just looking at the sea, with minor geometry around, frame rate reaches 60fps. So awesome. If only it run like that the whole time! :/

Zeliard

TTP said:
Despite feeling a bit too floaty I think they did an awesome job there. You hardly miss a jump even on tiny spots.

Yeah, I'm surprised by how slick it feels, and how light the character is while climbing. The way he sort of hops from small platform to platform while climbing is awesome.

I didn't expect the platforming and climbing to feel this great. It's a lot of fun just moving around the city, and the verticality seems abundant.

JoJo13

Banned
TTP said:

I love you too <3

are you just trying to get reactions? :p

Sucker Punch only has 60 people working for them. They don't have the resources for graphical image quality whore perfection. They do have enough resources to make a stellar playing game with good graphics for the genre, and I'd say they've easily accomplished that.

I also read somewhere that Sucker Punch weren't even using any of the SPUs for their engine.

TTP said:

I love you too <3

While much of what you said is hard for the diehards to hear, a great deal of it is true. Most annoying of all being the arena effect...falling a mission because I step outside of an arbitrary boundary?

Not fun.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
abstract alien said:
How in the hell do you share a demo anyway?

Person A DLs demo.

Person B gets Person A's PSN login info.

Person B logs in to said PSN account.

Person B goes to Person A's Download History.

???

Profit.

Y2Kev

Zeliard said:
Yeah, I'm surprised by how slick it feels, and how light the character is while climbing. The way he sort of hops from small platform to platform while climbing is awesome.

I didn't expect the platforming and climbing to feel this great. It's a lot of fun just moving around the city, and the verticality seems abundant.
I just love how fast he moves. When he's shimmying, Cole really flies.

Baha

abstract alien said:
How in the hell do you share a demo anyway?

You share it by sharing your account details. I'd only recommend doing this if you dl'ed the demo on an account you don't spend money on or have games tied to. If you want to share it, please let me be one of the shares :).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Zeliard said:

Yeah. And you can shoot from whatever position. Feels so good. At times I even forget I can shoot while hanging :lol

SnakeXs said:
Person A DLs demo.

Person B gets Person A's PSN login info.

Person B logs in to said PSN account.

Person B goes to Person A's Download History.

???

Profit.
Lmao, cool
Baha said:
You share it by sharing your account details. I'd only recommend doing this if you dl'ed the demo on an account you don't spend money on or have games tied to. If you want to share it, please let me be one of the shares :).
I wish I would have known :^(

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
TheChillyAcademic said:
While much of what you said is hard for the diehards to hear, a great deal of it is true. Most annoying of all being the arena effect...falling a mission because I step outside of an arbitrary boundary?

Not fun.

yeah. First time that happened, with game going in slow motion and stuff, I was like "oh, this is a cool way to force you back into the action" since you can still move around. I assumed I was given the change to go back. And then the mission failed message appeared and I was like "wut?".

Zeliard

TTP said:
yeah. First time that happened, with game going in slow motion and stuff, I was like "oh, this is a cool way to force you back into the action" since you can still move around. I assumed I was given the change to go back. And then the mission failed message appeared and I was like "wut?".

Yeah, it's pretty annoying that it doesn't at least give you a warning about that.

And even if you make it back across the boundary in slow-mo, which isn't that easy, it still doesn't let you resume.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
thewesker said:
Answer and I might share.

I've been racking my brains trying to think what to post, I don't won't to post any crap and then that be false information.

As far as I know you can only have your acc activated on 5 systems (including your own).

TTP said:

It isnt particularly well defined, I certainly hope it has been tweaked in the final build.

Y2Kev

I didn't try testing the boundaries of the missions. But I loooooved the way the whole screen gets dark when you toast people with storm lightning :lol

So awesome, I think I've ended up playing about 2 hours out of 2 playthroughs each. The pop in is there, but you have to try to realize it in the middle of the action. And holy crap even on medium I can die easily and need to use cover. When I wake up im gonna to try it on hard and then preorder the game, I needed a new game and this demo sold me.

STORM LIGHTNINGGGGGGGGG RAWRRRRRRRRRRRR

Edit: Tip
- To Change the Difficulty to Medium/Hard, pause and go to options.
- A trick I learned. On the mission "Trish Reaches Out" hang on the electrical wires that you can grind on. Virtually safe from danger until the turret trucks come, and a never ending supply of enrgy for lobbing grenades at mofos :D
- You can collect the shards and increase your battery, I only did the collect 5 for an extra battery, but there looks like there are more.

Top Bottom