• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFamous Demo Impressions

Flunkie

Banned
If anyone would like to share with me, I'd appreciate it. I gave away numerous CoD:WaW, LBP, SOCOM, etc. beta codes and would be gracious to be able to play this demo. :)

Dante

Finally done....

NOW THAT"S HOW YOU DO A DEMO!

Prob got almost an hour and a half in my first playthrough.....The train missions seems like such a long time ago...

Don't hesitate go to Best Buy and pre-order it's WELL worth the 5 bux.

The game makes you feel so empowered :)

EDIT: yeah I was talking about the sniping ability. Is it in the demo at all? Couldn't figure it out.

thaOwner

RoboPlato said:
Generally not too old. There may be a couple differences but most will be tough to notice, if you can at all.
So what are the chances that those issues TTP pointed out on the previous page will be fixed before its released or can it be done through an update since the game has gone gold already ?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
isn't a demo meant to convince people to buy the game? but you only get this one if you preorder? :lol

oh, 21st, carry on :p

sounds awesome.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
thaOwner said:
So what are the chances that those issues TTP pointed out on the previous page will be fixed before its released or can it be done through an update since the game has gone gold already ?
I'm not a dev so I don't know but I'm going to assume that they're not going to be fixing these things.

julls said:
isn't a demo meant to convince people to buy the game? but you only get this one if you preorder? :lol
It'll be public the week before the game comes out.

Dante

julls said:

There's a free demo available to everyone the 21st.

TTP's issues aren't going to be issues with most people, he has very high standards with image quality and graphics in general.

bryehn

Pretty bad pop-in and doesn't really look so hot overall, but DTS support is always nice.

Really fun though, I'm definitely still looking forward to it.

I'll break it down in sections.

Graphics: This game does not look at all like the screens released before in the other thread. It does look good but as TTP has mentioned, there is a lot of aliasing, some pop in(Barely noticeable after a while), ocassional slowdown when nothing is happening yet very smooth during fights. Also the sky in this game does not move at all, it's completely static.

On the positive side of things the city is huge and there is no loading, awakward pauses or anything that break the gameplay when running around. The comic style cutscenes are gorgeous and I really prefer them to cutscenes for this game.

Gameplay: Nothing really negative here. It's simply fun to play and takes absolutely no time at all to learn and master the controls, they're basic but very deep in their applications. The only thing that stuck out to me though were the animations and sense of weight in this game. Cole feels very light and moves faster than you push the control stick. The running animation still more like a hop as well but they're pretty minor stuff.

Sound: Daaaamn, I was blown away when I first started the demo, the first mission is pretty quiet to start with until you run into some more abddies later on and this trakc comes on that just gets you so hyped....It's insane at how powerful and deep the music in this game is. I hard to turn down my speakers :lol

Presentation of city: Okay this is the part I liked the most out of the entire thing. You can choose* how you portray yourself to the citizens but you have to be careful because collateral damage and the like can turn you evil quicker than you'd expect. Best moments though are when you knock down some enemies you can press and hold R1 to bring up some options whereby you can either suck their energy, restrain them or outright kill them. It feels great to accidentaly hurt civilians and be able to go up to them and heal them for a thank you. It feels sterile and pre programmed at times but it's great to have the choice!

overall I'd highly recommend this game and will be buying it day 1 if it's not $69.99(Canada gets ripped off again :() Cannot wait.

imperium

Wow, really fun game at least in demo form. As others have mentioned, there are a few technical deficiencies with aliasing and pop in. The aliasing doesn't really bother me but I do wish the pop in was reduced somewhat. It's mostly minor stuff like cars but I did see a few buildings pop. I suppose it's possible that these issues will be slightly better in the retail version but I'm wouldn't expect it. But these issues didn't really affect my enjoyment of the game. Awesome stuff.

BTW, does anyone know if the "abandoning mission" restart is just a demo constraint or is it also part of the retail version? I found it mildly annoying but perfectly understandable in a demo.

You can share 5 slots correct? If so I have 4 slots to share. PM ONLY please.

EDIT: Sorry slot are all taken.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
thaOwner said:

What issues ?, aliasing on background fences? and the odd popin? is this really a deal breaker for you ?, if this is all that can be critiqued about the game then this game is going to be amazing, from the impressions in this thread alone it's day one for me.

thaOwner

Y2Kev said:
inFamous -- A Shockingly Good Time
Is the option to be evil available in the demo as well ? Playing fallout 3 as an evil dood is so satisfying.

lowrider007 said:
What issues ?, aliasing on background fences? and the odd popin? is this really a deal breaker for you ?, if this is all that can be critiqued about the game then this game is going to be amazing.

Lol. Hell nah, I have this thing preordered. I am at school right now thats why I aint on my PS3 playing.

Dante

thaOwner said:
Is the option to be evil available in the demo as well ? Playing fallout 3 as an evil dood is so satisfying.

Yes, Being evil is Fun because you are more powerful, but It made me feel bad to have Trish mad at me. It starts you on the second or third part of the demo with evil karma to give you a taste.

thaOwner

Dante said:
Yes, Being evil is Fun because you are more powerful, but It made me feel bad to have Trish mad at me. It starts you on the second or third part of the demo with evil karma to give you a taste.

Nice. Will defintely enjoy being evil then. Can't wait. :D

holy shit this game is fucking awesome.

control is great.

city is great.

scaling buildings is great fun.

combat is pretty good, i expect it'll be a lot more fun as i progress.

i love sliding on telephone/electricity lines

AND YOUR ELECTRICITY GOES RED WHEN YOU'RE INFAMOUS!!!!!! SO DANK

Zeliard

The demo is really fun. I haven't even done any of the missions yet - I've just been running around wrecking stuff and trying out the platforming.

I haven't tried any of the combat against actual enemies yet since I haven't done a mission. I will say one thing that bugs me is the lack of ragdoll physics or some equivalent on the NPCs. It looks a bit antiquated when you hit someone with something and they react and fall in this very repetitive, canned way every time, especially after GTAIV. It might sound petty, but that's probably my biggest beef with the game

The controls feel fantastic. The climbing and platforming stuff is especially superb. The character is very light on his feet, nimble and acrobatic, animates nicely and in a variety of ways during climbing, and is very easy to control. Even then, it's nothing like auto-platforming. You always have to aim your jumps, and being able to boost if you need to glide adds to the versatility. Pretty much anything you think you can climb, you can. This aspect of the game feels exceptional.

As far as the graphics, they're pretty nice. There is aliasing, but it doesn't bother me too much since there's often a ton of movement on screen, which helps to obscure it a bit. The pop-in does bother me some since there's quite a lot of it, but it's something I'm personally sensitive to in games. Might not bother others all that much, and it's still very forgivable overall.

Now to try some missions.

kassatsu said:
THE DEMO IS ON THE HONG KONG STORE.

STOP ASKING FOR CODES.

CHINESE / ENGLISH VER.

To the races!

mizuk_i

This game is amazing i want the full game like right now :D

Probably the funnest game i've played in a long ass time.

kassatsu

Banned
N30RYU said:
**edited***

Is it true? is in the HK store, please anyone confirm
eahaf9.jpg

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
N30RYU said:
Is the demo also in the japanese store? or only the HK one? If so i need to create a HK one asap

It's definitely not in the Japanese store, I just checked, I'm now in the process of making a HK acc.

Dead Man

kassatsu said:
THE DEMO IS ON THE HONG KONG STORE.

STOP ASKING FOR CODES.

CHINESE / ENGLISH VER.
Awesome, downloading now.

Edit: And why does everyone except PAL get a separate Demo area? It's a great idea, get on it SCEE.

Aske

Dartastic said:
I always forget what the name of the OTHER super power game that's coming out soon is. Hrm.

Prototype! And it's only in the last few weeks that I've finally separated the two in my mind - before that they always used to blend together into the same vaguely interesting title that wouldn't be out for months. Given that inFamous is exclusive to one platform it's not surprising that it's getting so much more attention, but I'm kind of surprised there isn't at least one comparison thread.

Is anyone buying both games? I'll probably only buy one, and I'm leaning towards Prototype because the handful of videos I've seen are slightly more appealing than those of inFamous; but the demo could easily change my mind, especially since it's getting such a great reception. Electrical powers always look a bit dull to me in preview videos regardless of the game, but they're invariably more fun to actually use.

Are there any other obvious differences between Prototype and inFamous besides the fact that the latter has the Sucker Punch pedigree? Anything new emerging from the demo?

Top Bottom