• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFamous Demo Impressions

Dartastic

I always forget what the name of the OTHER super power game that's coming out soon is. Hrm. Someone should also just download the demo to a new account with no personal info, then just post the name and login on GAF. :D

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
TTP said:
Spent some more time with the demo.

Aliasing is starting to get on my nerves actually as the more I play, the more I see it. It's everywhere along side pop-in.

Frame rate is kinda odd. It might stutter when there is nothing going on (me just running around) and be fine most of the time during the chaotic combat. Overall, it's not as smooth as I hoped and camera acts oddly at times, swinging oddly for no apparent reasons.

Textures are pretty good for such a game tho. I took some pics that I will post in a second.

Controls are mostly great. What I find odd is that you cannot let yourself fall over ledges. You have to jump in order to fall from the roof or from the top of the train. You can't just step ahead and let the gravity do the rest.

Will pass judgment when I've played some more.
I have to agree with this, although I'll be playing in SD for another two days. And yeah, the way it makes you press circle to jump down is annoying. Anything in the distance has serious blur and makes me appreciate GTA in that respect. But overall, I'm digging the setting and the acrobatics.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I much prefer a drop button vs. no drop button. I complained about that in crackdrown. It might make it a little slower to jump precisely off the SIDE of a roof, but it makes it much easier to drop drown when you're climbing individual ledges.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Y2Kev said:
I much prefer a drop button vs. no drop button. I complained about that in crackdrown. It might make it a little slower to jump precisely off the SIDE of a roof, but it makes it much easier to drop drown when you're climbing individual ledges.
It makes sense in theory, but you'll often find yourself getting stuck on multiple things on the way down and you have to press the button each time.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Draw distance pic. You can't see shit so it's hard to come away impressed. (Note: shitty character shadow)
wvebn5.jpg

"Some" aliasing.
Note to devs: if you don't have AA, please refrain from adding fences to your game.
25ewneu.jpg

Pop-up example here. It's odd as this happens when zooming in from this rooftop (the one you start onto in the demo) but not from others nearby.
This is the worst offender in the whole demo.
Normally pop-up affects "minor" details like cars and stuff.
LOD management is mediocre. You can see buildings switching from low to hi detail models as you run towards them.
(Note: Aliasing is your constant companion)
b81hmo.jpg

Good textures
2ur2stl.jpg

scitek

I could have some cature footage of this up in a little bit if I were somehow able to play the demo. Should have preordered!

dorkimoe

oh great another thread of whining for codes

if you want a code fucking pre order it or shut the fuck up

if you cant pre order it..then go make a thread begging for one.

Thanks for the impressions those who are posting them, ;\ sucks im only buying this for uncharted demo. But I'm sure ill have some fun with it

ezekial45 said:
:lol :lol :lol

You get a demo early and all you do is complain. Come on!

those are his impressions..

JoJo13

Banned
Sunk some time into the demo. FANTASTIC.

I'm not the biggest fan of sandbox titles, particularly because most sandbox titles don't take advantage of the extra landscape and the mechanics tend to be poor compared to more linear experiences; however, InFamous is one of the few games that really NAILS the controls and mechanics.

It's absolute bliss being able to freely traverse your environments, and better yet the combat is engaging and fluid. I played through GTA4 mainly for the spectacle of it all rather than genuinely enjoying the gameplay and controls. For as vast as Liberty City is in GTA4, it feels superficial and the combat mechanics were atrocious. InFamous is far, FAR more engaging of a title than GTA4, and it is precisely for this reason why I enjoy the game so much so far.

The only real complaints I have are technical. Some aliasing and pop-in, along with juttery 'cutscene' animation, but other than that, I think the game has really good textures for a sandbox title and I'm loving the dynamic shadows. I'm a big stickler for dynamic shadows and many sandbox games don't have them and look very sterile and flat. InFamous all looks very well realized.

ALSO - THE MUSIC. WOW. Reminds me much of The Dark Knight's soundtrack, and it really kicks in at all the right moments. Simply an incredible, distinctive score.

This looks to probably be the sleeper hit of the year, imo. I was on the fence before, and while the recent footage + Uncharted 2 beta already put me over the fence, this more than solidified my purchase of the game. Waiting for a month is going to be painful.

D/Ling now, its ungodly slow! 55% after about 20 minutes. I guess I will just have to watch the Lakers screw themselves slowly, ha ha!

PS. I hate the Lakers and it is fun watching them lose a huge lead, lol!

Baha

dorkimoe said:
oh great another thread of whining for codes

if you want a code fucking pre order it or shut the fuck up

if you cant pre order it..then go make a thread begging for one.

Thanks for the impressions those who are posting them, ;\ sucks im only buying this for uncharted demo. But I'm sure ill have some fun with it

I begged in the other thread BUT I feel I have to say this: I pre-ordered the game but since SCEA saw it fit to make the demo voucher US only, Canadians like me got stiffed. Just wanted to point that out.

Das-J

Law of the West
Simply AWESOME... i'm busting a gut from throwing these electricity grenades at dudes on top of buildings! :lol

Bravo SP, I'll be buying this for sure.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
This definitely seems more like Crackdown than GTA, which is a huge plus. It actually feels like a game where you can run around and do crazy shit and be a badass.

Dartastic

Mutagenic said:
It makes sense in theory, but you'll often find yourself getting stuck on multiple things on the way down and you have to press the button each time.

Or you could just hold the button to not grab onto anything.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
DemonSwordsman said:
So how is the game? Did you actually play the demo or just take pics.

I would like impressions also, I couldn't care less about a few jaggies on fences on the backgrounds or the odd popin tbh.

EDIT -

TTP said:
It's great fun.

Ah, all good then.

iamcool388 said:
Will they give me my money back? Or at least can I transfer the money to some other game?

As of now, no luck with codes :-(

If you have your receipt, they will give you back what you paid with.

If you do not have your receipt, they will give you store credit. :)

Y2Kev

Mutagenic said:
But, realistically, when are you trying to jump down into such an enclosed space? Just jump away and run back if it's really bugging you.

Have you tried rolling off the building or holding O? You may roll to the ground. It's possible we're just missing a button to do that.

Well, aliasing can be a bitch, especially in a game with this much detail. On the other hand, the fact that it does have as much detail as it does might be enough to counter the aliasing. Like, whoa.

Das-J

Law of the West
Dante said:
WTF...Is this demo the whole game??? Still playing :D

Haha I thought the same thing... I believe you can roam forever, but it ends when you complete a couple of the objectives. That said, I'm having a ton of fun running around blowing shit up... haven't had this much fun in an open-world game since Crackdown! :D

Dante

Kagari said:
How long have you been playing?

Over an hour.Still doing missions.

The aliasing doesn't really bother me nor the pop up, guess I'm having too much fuin to notice, I love hanging from buildings and using them as cover. Rail grinding is my fav ability so far.

Anybody else get the Sly Cooper sneaking sound when Cole tip toes a wire in their head? :lol

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Fucking win.

Since Vyse mentioned me earlier, I'll do the same. He can attest that I rarely ever like "sandbox" games, ever.

This is a sandbox game with a "linear"/more focused game's gameplay. Everything feels solid, and good, and right. I'm a sucker for games that just let you be awesome, and this delivers.

Always hoped it would deliver, but was apprehensive to a slight degree. All worries gone, in a period of 30 minutes. This is what the genre should be. Gameplay first, tight mechanics first.

Chrange

Banned
scitek said:
I could have some cature footage of this up in a little bit if I were somehow able to play the demo. Should have preordered!

Same. Though I bitch about my experiences with them every single time I get a chance to go in (nearest one is two and a half hours away) I sometimes wish I lived someplace with a Gamestop so I could get preorder bonuses like this lol

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The demo a mission or just a playground to mess around in?
SnakeXs said:
Fucking win.

Since Vyse mentioned me earlier, I'll do the same. He can attest that I rarely ever like "sandbox" games, ever.

This is a sandbox game with a "linear"/more focused game's gameplay. Everything feels solid, and good, and right. I'm a sucker for games that just let you be awesome, and this delivers.

Always hoped it would deliver, but was apprehensive to a slight degree. All worries gone, in a period of 30 minutes. This is what the genre should be. Gameplay first, tight mechanics first.
This sounds like exactly what I was hoping for. I generally hate sandbox games but this one has really grabbed my interest.

SnakeXs said:
Fucking win.

Choo, choo! All abroad the hype train. Destination: Win.

The demo a mission or just a playground to mess around in?

It's one long intro mission followed by about 3 smaller ones with the option to run around the city and mess around indefinitely.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Dartastic said:
Or you could just hold the button to not grab onto anything.
You can't hold the button down. Doesn't matter much though, still fun. And I personally like TTP's breakdown on the tech side of things.

Y2Kev

im gonna get a pair of goggles for TTP and smear vaseline on the lenses. Free quincunx AA!

Dartastic

Mutagenic said:
You can't hold the button down. Doesn't matter much though, still fun. And I personally like TTP's breakdown on the tech side of things.

Sorry, I didn't mean in the game itself, I meant on a design standpoint; it makes sense that if you have a "drop down" button, that you can hold that button down to not grab anything. Oh well. I don't have the demo so I can't share my impressions. =(

Dante

Is there a way to zoom your aim on the demo like in the videos?

Also this demo has more value at 5 bucks than a lot of full downloadable games...Still.....Haven't completed it yet.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Dante said:

Also this demo has more value at 5 bucks than a lot of full downloadable games...Still.....Haven't completed it yet.
I don't believe there is. But when you bring up the targeting reticule, it does zoom in slightly. Oops, I guess you knew that since you're playing it.

Loudninja

Dante said:

Thats the sniping ability.

Top Bottom