• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFamous: Second Son Characters Polygon Count revealed (120k Polygons)

onanie

You're right, it was initially 150k polis, but they cut it to 85k with better shaders

_1380313100.jpg

So ryse is 85k at the end of the day, despite what KKRT tried to pass off as fact?

@dragonbane
I like that QD is quite transparent about their production. Its actually a shame that from so many games from last year, so little gave away technical details.

No talk from DICE still publically available, not talk from GG too since March ;\
Yeah they have that mentality since the day the company was founded. Cage put up their website in 1997 covering week for week the entire pre-production period of their first game Omikron. After they signed with Eidos he continued covering most of the full-production as well till crunching started and he couldn't do it any longer. But what is there is a fascinating read, especially since that was still the time of rock and roll game development. Some funny titbits in there as well, such as every third game trying to emulate C&C at E3 1997 and the dev team visiting a strip club to hire some ladies for really early motion capture.

You can find most of it using the Wayback Machine in case you are interested and have some free time on your hands (start from the bottom).

Pre-Production: http://web.archive.org/web/19980704151029/http://www.quanticdream.com/news2.htm
Production: http://web.archive.org/web/19980704193417/http://www.quanticdream.com/newsb.htm

I like that to this day they still try to be as open as possible in today's secretive industry.

I wonder how much polygons the characters in GTAV used.
I wouldn't be surprised if they were in the 100,000 range as well.
Not even close lol And other games had decent/great clothing before.

I didn't think I drank that much, but I'm seeing people compare a linear action game to an open world one. I guess this is just extra dense vodka...
If it is a last gen game than the comparison is not exactly wrong considering the power difference. Comparing The Order with Infamous on the other hand would be stupid yes.

Reg

Banned
If it is a last gen game than the comparison is not exactly wrong considering the power difference. Comparing The Order with Infamous on the other hand would be stupid yes.

But isn't Ryse a linear action game. And that is getting compared to a more open Infamous.

But isn't Ryse a linear action game. And that is getting compared to a more open Infamous.
Yeah I don't think that comparison really flies, XB1 is not that weak. So arguing that Infamous is less impressive cause it didnt manage to run Ryse assets in an open world scenario despite having access to more power doesnt really make sense. The hardware difference is not big enough to match the difference in requirements between linear and open world rendering.

Yeah I don't think that comparison really flies, XB1 is not that weak. So arguing that Infamous is less impressive cause it didnt manage to run Ryse assets in an open world scenario despite having access to more power doesnt really make sense. The hardware difference is not big enough to match the difference in requirements between linear and open world rendering.

Edit: nvm.

I am not sure why this is getting compared like this.

KKRT00

Reread what I said. I never mentioned polycounts exclusively.

You said assets. Assets are animations, textures and polys. Textures would be the same, animation are CPU limited, so would be the same, so its all about polys.

------
Ummmmm HELLZ YES!!!!

ITs like practically double what Ryse had and this is an open world title dude.

I really wish people stop using Open World as a buzzword. We are past the limitations of old platforms and even on old platforms limitations from open world were not that drastic.
Having open world game and linear game is all about assets production and scene polish now and streaming & lod tech. Nothing more, nothing less.

The only games that are different and can be called as fully linear, are games like Beyond.

Madness

Can you imagine what games will look like at the end of this gen? When we're all saying that these consoles are outdated etc. I truly can't wait to see what games like next gen Mass Effect, Grand Theft Auto will be like.

Vitor711

Drake since uncharted 1 always had cloth wrinkles when he moves even on the vita.

The wrinkles on the Vita version were just a texture change inbetween animations and didn't look that great.

The stuff in MP3 and I:SS is far more advanced, although still not genuine cloth simulation ala the PhysX stuff in Mafia 2 or what's coming in Watch Dogs.

Top Bottom